+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IGN TV: Quality or More Fun Than A Colonoscopy?

Default IGN TV: Quality or More Fun Than A Colonoscopy?

One might think that one of the internet's entertainment authorities would have assembled a team of well-informed and well-rounded individuals to cover that which we humans find so darn addicitive, television.

One might also think that having his/her anatomy ravaged by a depraved rapid wolverine is a genuinely pleasurable experience, but of course, one would be dead wrong.

The past few weeks I have shed my mild-mannered exterior and become Megakrathos, Lord of the Internet. My job requires at most 3 hours of work a day (at least 50 minutes) but I am required to be present in the teacher's room. Thus the internet and I have quickly become very good friends. This has given me some time to explore sites I wouldn't normally visit.

IGN Movies is a site I happen to normally visit and enjoy quite a bit. I figured the same would be so for IGN TV but instead I'm feeling dumber than I normally would after watching this http://youtube.com/watch?v=v7kL_nxgBf4

Not only do the writers lack the patience to see the bigger picture in a series like LOST (my pet-peeve of the month) but they continually make errors regarding the storyline in filler articles.

As we all know I'm a LOST freak so that doesn't mean much, but when they DO praise stuff with as much depth and story-telling genius as Gallactica or LOST, then they go and slather a heep of praise on something like Heroes which has a script so awkward and inept (90% of it to be fair) that it makes Chris Griffith look like Double-0-Freaking-7.

And then, I read this crap in their review of the South Park Season Finale:

The only problem that we had with the episode was the disregard for Steve Irwin's death. South Park has never had any problems making fun of taboo topics, but it just felt like it is too soon to make these comments - and it probably wouldn't have been so bad, but they had two jokes right next to each other.
    Read a newspaper. Better yet read the Yahoo or MSN headlines. For Chrissake, I'm in JAPAN and I know the purpose for such a cruel dig.

I wouldn't be complaining if I didn't think the people writing about television shows on one of the most popular English entertainment sites in the world were less aware of pop-culture and the world around them than a fetus.

Unless of course their goal is to watch TV as 'the average Joe' but then this contradicts nearly EVERY other aspect of the IGN line-up which I quite enjoy.

*sigh*

[/rant]

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer Local-chan's Avatar

Default Re: IGN TV: Quality or More Fun Than A Colonoscopy?

Don't really see what your getting at for the first point (about people praising other stuff apart from LOST) but I don't believe that it is immoral to take the piss out of people's deaths, fair enough if its in the space between the person dying and the funeral, its a bit unfair then, but after that I find it fine, I really do. I'm sure the person would be happy to see people still enjoying stuff about them after they had died than to sit there bitching and complaining about it.

That's not what I'm getting at.

The reason they did so was specifically because of the HUGE uproar it caused in Australia where people were rabid after his appearance in the Halloween episode which didn't make fun of his death as much as it did draw attention to the fact that he actually died. In fact, in the program itself they even say, "It's way too soon for this."

Australians went insane over this and Trey and Matt, in their ever so subtle way, basically said, 'Look, if you think that was offensive, how about we blatantly exploit his death.'

I managed to catch this news inkling on TV overseas so you'd think the people who's jobs it is to understand/watch television would be up-to-date regarding the material they cover.

To simplify my first point:

How can they appreciate such great stuff, and smother typical TV with the same praise?

didn't see the episode of south park, but if your gonna bitch about SP being offencive, then you gotta bitch about the whole series, not just one episode.

Can't spell ignorant without IGN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the bigot who thinks being an asshole is actually worth shit

Even i thought it was pretty low
    it was hilarious though

fucking hilarious

Ign liked the episode to

they were just pointing it out...
    D:

Im pretty sure they knew that point that was being proved

If they knew the point, the would have been laughing their asses off inside of wringing their hands.

I mean holy shyt dude.

Once had me my jaw on the floor.

The second time...I just....oh man.....That was remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    If they knew the point, the would have been laughing their asses off inside of wringing their hands.

I mean holy shyt dude.

Once had me my jaw on the floor.

The second time...I just....oh man.....That was remarkable.

Who says you can't laugh at something you don't like

=3

Discovered Stowaway darkpiece150's Avatar

I still need to see this episode ~_~

So lazy though...

I also tend to see IGN as better then a lot of game/media sites, but god do they fuck up sometimes. I really dislike the comic reviwers... coulden't fucking review to save their lives most of the time.
    Last edited by darkpiece150; November 17th, 2006 at 11:30 PM.

Who says you can't laugh at something you don't like
    Their comment in the review seems to show they had no idea what it was about/for.

Making the comment that "it's just too soon" is PRECISELY what SP is making fun of, the same jackasses who say that kind of stuff.

If you read the review of 'Hell on Earth' there isn't even any mention of it and it's the same reviewer.

But the point of this thread is hardly to discuss one paragraph regarding SP. Overall, compared to the other IGN areas, TV seems to be severely lacking.

I wonder if South park will ever Touch the "Colombine" issue..

D:

Quote Originally Posted by --MRED-- View Post
    I wonder if South park will ever Touch the "Colombine" issue..

Seeing as Matt and Trey are CO natives, I doubt it. Plus, that happened years ago.
    buttcheeks

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information