Page 2 of 104 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: The Future of One Piece anime...In America! FUNIMATION TAKES OVER!

Default Re: The Future of One Piece anime...In America!

Quote Originally Posted by TakinawaTonfa View Post
    FUNimation

The company once reviled as much as 4kids during the early days of Dragon Ball Z doing a complete 180 to provide us with some excellent dubs. Right now, FUNi is my favorite company. These guys definitely win production wise, just take a look at Fullmetal Alchemist. Great actors, great writers, great interactions with the fanbase, These really seem like the best guys to handle the show. If this plays out correctly, then it truly will be the second coming of DBZ.
    I hope the pro-FUNi crowd isn't including Dragon Ball as one of their good dubs. It'd be hard for me to have faith in FUNi if that was the case. The original music was the only thing it had going for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
    I hope the pro-FUNi crowd isn't including Dragon Ball as one of their good dubs. It'd be hard for me to have faith in FUNi if that was the case. The original music was the only thing it had going for it.
    No way! "DragonBall" had a GREAT dub, and I hated that they barely re-ran it on Cartoon Network. I'm stll waiting for VidMark's rights to expire so I can get my first 13 episodes and Blood Rubies movie uncut. Better yet, FUNi should give it the boxset treatment that they're giving "DragonBall Z".

エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TakinawaTonfa View Post
    Of the companies you listed, only FUNimation and possibly Media Blasters have in-house dubbing; the others all hire out to a processing studio, especially VIZ Media (who use Animaze, I believe). It's an issue about looking at titles dubbed by a company since they use different processing studios; instead, look at a studio that tends to be good bedmates with a company one would look into (like Bang Zoom! Entertainment and Geneon) to follow a tracklist of their dubs.

From what I've seen, avoid California simply because Bang Zoom! Entertainment is the biggest processing studio here and it sucks. Go for Central Park Media, Media Blasters, FUNimation, Illumitoon, and heck even ADV. Avoid Bandai, Geneon, and VIZ Media, since they're held up here in California.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    Making Anime and Manga OBSOLETE since 2006
    PM me for details

I like a some of Geneon, Viz, and Bandai's dubs though...(sometimes they get repetitive with the actors, I admit) Although I respect ADV as a whole, I have yet to hear an ADV dub that I liked. They're good for just skipping straight to subs.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by firecrouch View Post
    No way! "DragonBall" had a GREAT dub
    I dislike it mainly because of the inaccurate script. I really couldn't bring myself to like it when practically every line had a different meaning from what was originally said and most of the moments of silence were filled with incessant noises or dialogue. It does seem good on its own, though, something I can't say for the DBZ dub.

I think all the strawhat Voices except Usopp can stay, With some better dialog and voice direction i'm sure they could sound better. And Choppers secondary voice should stay too.

DOWN WITH ROBIN's VA I SAY!

Sad thing is if Robin's v/a dropped the accent, she would be nearly perfect.

But yeah, lots of options that could happen. I just hope it can get a dub that does it justice.

Keep in mind the guy I talked to didn't even know 4kids had stopped production (which sucks) but Im still hoping I can trust the guy when he said they would want to keep going on it. I just worry about his validility?... is that a word?

but for now, we should certainly let Toei know we're out there by using the online form and writting letters. I really think they'll listen, this guy did thank me and say he'd tell the others so... Im glad they listen to fans.
    For with a closing door, another surely opens
    Just you wait and see,
    And when you look back on where we've been together
    Wherever you may be
    I hope that you remember me

If he didn't know 4kids stopped he probably doesn't know much about what Toei is doing with One Piece either. Anyone who is answering phones at a US branch is probably not going to be a person of any power.
    But if they'r getting a lot of letters and calls from people about One Piece someone will take notice.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

I know that makes me worry ;_; But firecrouch got similar answers so...

I think we should still contact them anyway... and christ what are you people doing at the Toei website? I can't even get to the contact page XD
    Just you wait and see,
    Wherever you may be

Media Blasters is a fairly fan-friendly company - I've actually successfully gotten through to one of their people before to secure a blanket screening permission for my high school's anime club - free of charge (in retrospect I wonder if that person was even allowed to hand out permissions but at the time it was good enough for me). The only issues I have with Media Blasters is that yes, they do have a lot of mature properties, but they also license a lot of incomplete stuff. But they have taken on some longer projects - I don't know the exact episode count, but Twelve Kingdoms spanned at least 10 DVDs for its first release. However, it looks like they do a lot of dubbing with Bang! Zoom - suddenly MT's opinion on Bang! Zoom makes a lot more sense to me now that I know they're the ones who did Magic Knight Rayearth's dub. Then again, I liked the dubs for Please Teacher and Scrapped Princess, so maybe they're getting better?

CPM is not doing well financially - they had a bunch of lay-offs recently, so I'm thinking there won't be any big purchases from them anytime soon. They also didn't renew some liscenses (including Slayers).
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Logan View Post
    It's great when people invent their own kind of logic. Did you know the Earth is a sphere? A basketball is also a sphere. That means the Earth is a basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixxy Mouri View Post
    However, it looks like they do a lot of dubbing with Bang! Zoom - suddenly MT's opinion on Bang! Zoom makes a lot more sense to me now that I know they're the ones who did Magic Knight Rayearth's dub.
    *just got back from watching an episode of MKR Season 2*

What's wrong with MKR's dub? Its acting was better than what's found in most dubs and the script was almost a perfect translation. Even the lyrics for the opening and ending songs were pretty close, and that's almost never done. The only voices which grated on me were Zasu and to a lesser degree Lady Aska (although it's alright since she's still one of the best characters in the series).

okay i have a request, can we NOT talk about other dubs and argue about other dubs in this topic? I hated when it happened in the 4kids topic and Naruto and other things kept popping up. Let's keep this one One Piece releated please.
    Just you wait and see,
    Wherever you may be

Quote Originally Posted by joekido the Second View Post
    I'm hoping FUNimation picks it up really soon and dub the rest of the series which will be a great profit.
    More like the whole series from the very beginning. It's not just to please people like us, or to bring in people that didn't like it the first time, but for consistency's sake. If another company were to pick up the production rights, a company we would want to have the production rights, it would be completely different from 4Kids: new script-writer, new director, new voice-cast, and new music track (most likely the original one). "Pokemon" could get away with a new production team later into the series, but not "One Piece" because of all the [negative] liberties that 4Kids took in its adaptation.

I had this kind of discussion with my friends a while back. I brought up how "DragonBall Z" switched production teams and editng policies later into season 2, and how that transition overall worked, and I asked them if that kind of policy could work with the "One Piece" dub. We all agreed on no. Despite the fact the first set of "DBZ" episodes was more heavily-edited compared to the rest of the series, compared to "One Piece", its fair to say it had much, much, much better treatment in terms of being overall entertaining and being faithful to the original series.

I have faith that if another company picks up "One Piece" before 2009, they can start producing at episode one. Anthony Jiwa told me when 4Kids' rights officially expire, they lose the rights to the every episode, including the ones they produced. So I'm assuming that the deal between Toei Animation and 4Kids was for "One Piece" itself rather than licensing on an episode-by-episode basis (like with "Saint Seiya").

エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
    I like a some of Geneon, Viz, and Bandai's dubs though...(sometimes they get repetitive with the actors, I admit) Although I respect ADV as a whole, I have yet to hear an ADV dub that I liked. They're good for just skipping straight to subs.
    Not all of Geneon, Bandai, or VIZ Media's dubs are run through Bang Zoom! Entertainment or Animaze; sometimes other studios like ocean or "phuzz" (Bobobo) get involved as well. Take, for example, Shakugan no Shana and Fate/stay night; originally, SnS was going to Bang Zoom! Entertainment and FSN to Ocean, but the popularity of the titles online was inverse of what Geneon expected when it pre-licensed the shows, so SnS went to Ocean and got a good dub (I do not care what people say about ocean, it's a DANG GOOD studio) and FSN went to Bang Zoom! Entertainment for...well. ;-;

Quote Originally Posted by Dixxy Mouri
    Then again, I liked the dubs for Please Teacher and Scrapped Princess, so maybe they're getting better?
    Doubtful. BZE is very weak on casting and voice direction; Kotomine Kirei is voiced by one of my favourite VA's, Taylor Henry, and his performance isn't all that great in the opening there. In this clip, we have Michael McConnohie, a voice actor who could be identified as GAR, giving a weak performance as Berserker...I've heard his performances in games, other anime and media, and I must say I wouldn't have recognized him in this dub, in spite of all that he was doing was grunting.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    Making Anime and Manga OBSOLETE since 2006
    PM me for details

Quote Originally Posted by Quexinos View Post
    okay i have a request, can we NOT talk about other dubs and argue about other dubs in this topic? I hated when it happened in the 4kids topic and Naruto and other things kept popping up. Let's keep this one One Piece releated please.
    This is but a civil discussion between two mature and polite individuals, but I'll listen to you anyway.

So... I'll throw in my bit here.

Most of what you guys have already said is great. Original BGM, less/no edits, better VAs... My vote on that is to keep Zoro's, keep Robin's if she dropped the accent, and keep Ace's. I'm sorry to say Chopper's voice always seemed a tad on the nasally side to me...

Something else I'd LOVE to see would be certain unedited attack names and other phrases carried over from the original anime. Terms like 'Gomu Gomu no' and 'Bara Bara' are things I believe should be kept. Since a large percent of the Japanese fan base wants to see an English version as well, many of us would know what's going on with this. Even people new to such terms should be able to figure this out with relative ease, especially considering the fact that with less edits, it'd be geared for an older, and thus hopefully more intuitive, set of viewers. Things like 'yari' could be changed to 'spear' and whatnot, but pistol, bazooka, rifle... All those should stay.

This could go along with literal Japanese to English translations, something else that would have massive impact on the quality of the show.

Attacks called out in languages that were not originally in Japanese should be kept. I really can't think up a good reason for why, as I don't know the reason for their being in other languages to begin with, but I feel as though this should follow through as the original intent. 'Sables Pesado' and other such attacks wouldn't be the same if called out in English, now would they?

Other words that are unique, ones that aren't directly translated when I'm reading fansubs, and even other miniscule little changes, are something I feel should also stay. Den Den Mushi rather than snail phone, nakama rather than friends (though I wouldn't mind that one so much), dials rather than shells, Marines as opposed to Navy, yosh, oi, etc., etc. I feel as though these would make the series feel a bit deeper, not as 'dumbed down' as some changes might make it.

Specific character quirks, laughs in particular, are one more thing I feel should be carried over from the Japanese version. Ener's, Crocodile's, Spandam's... They deserve to be unique as opposed to the generic "Mwahaha, I'm evil!" laugh most of the bad guys get.

So... Anyone agree with me on these things? Or would you guys rather see a new dub with not as many ties to the Japanese original?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chibi Schala
    Nero has just the right amout of junk in his trunk.

So . . . has anybody e-mailed Toei Animation yet? I'm hoping that slow load time for the contact page I've been seeing now every once in a while is what I think it is ^_^.

At this point I don't think we should focus on which voice actors we want. Right now we should just worry about which company we want to dub "One Piece".

Back from the dead

I demand an absolute redub with no stereotypical voices.

And Sanji's VA must be yelled at with a megaphone and Vivi's VA needs also to be yelled at via megaphone.

Those people are so bad at what they're doing, unless it was to sound like shit. Which is what they're good at. Don't they even listen to themselves?

Something else I'd LOVE to see would be certain unedited attack names and other phrases carried over from the original anime. Terms like 'Gomu Gomu no' and 'Bara Bara' are things I believe should be kept. Since a large percent of the Japanese fan base wants to see an English version as well, many of us would know what's going on with this. Even people new to such terms should be able to figure this out with relative ease, especially considering the fact that with less edits, it'd be geared for an older, and thus hopefully more intuitive, set of viewers. Things like 'yari' could be changed to 'spear' and whatnot, but pistol, bazooka, rifle... All those should stay.
    We aren't the only people watching it. Some people aren't as hardcore about anime than we are and simply flick through shows.

I dunno what to think about the Devil Fruit names though.

Thread Information