+ Reply to Thread
Page 197 of 263 FirstFirst ... 97 147 187 195 196 197 198 199 207 247 ... LastLast
Results 3,921 to 3,940 of 5243

Thread: General Blackbeard Thread

Default Re: General Blackbeard Thread

Well,I dunno what the connection between Laffiette and his hypno powers and his potential Owl/pigeon/dove/angel/herpies fruit is but I hope he's got more then just hypno and wings.Like maybe he can turn his feet into tallons and claw at people,Like Marco...Well...,he does know his way around a pistol...So

Hypno+ pistol= potential one hit ko's...Unless your immune to guns,like a skeleton(hint at potential match-up)

Quote Originally Posted by Baou Zakurga View Post
    Well,I dunno what the connection between Laffiette and his hypno powers and his potential Owl/pigeon/dove/angel/herpies fruit is but I hope he's got more then just hypno and wings.Like maybe he can turn his feet into tallons and claw at people,Like Marco...Well...,he does know his way around a pistol...So

Hypno+ pistol= potential one hit ko's...Unless your immune to guns,like a skeleton(hint at potential match-up)
    See I understand that Brook and Laffitte have some similarities but wouldn't be more sensible to have the evil navigator(Laffitte) fight the good navigator(Nami)? We're going to have a Captain vs Captain fight and assuming that Shiliew is Teach's first mate, we're going have a fight between him and Zoro, so why not have a navigator vs navigator fight?

Quote Originally Posted by Urian View Post
    Well, no one thinks about the fact that Teach was the only one D. in Shirohige crew and that they should know more about D. people than any others in special since Roger told to Shirohige about the D. Then is possible that Kurohige heard the history about the D. from Shirohige, he learned that the D. people was able to stand two devil fruit powers at the same time and he decided to tempt the destiny trying to absorb two Devil Fruits.
    Hardly possible since it was said that Blackbeard was the first person ever to obtain 2 devil fruits.
    That is why I am so sure about his body features as well since it would have been known for previous examples to exist if it was an ability of yami-yami no mi.

Zoro is not a first mate and Shiliew is not a first mate either, obviously. Zoro fans often claim he is since he was the first one to join, but Shiliew wasn't so it is not going to work here.
    Zoro's official crew position is "swordsman" and that is what possibly going to be Shiliew's.

If Nami is by any means "good" I must be Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Al!naJames View Post
    Hardly possible since it was said that Blackbeard was the first person ever to obtain 2 devil fruits.
    That is why I am so sure about his body features as well since it would have been known for previous examples to exist if it was an ability of yami-yami no mi.

Zoro is not a first mate and Shiliew is not a first mate either, obviously. Zoro fans often claim he is since he was the first one to join, but Shiliew wasn't so it is not going to work here.
    Zoro's official crew position is "swordsman" and that is what possibly going to be Shiliew's.

If Nami is by any means "good" I must be Albert Einstein.
    It's as clear as day that Zoro is the First Mate. He's often mistaken by others as the captain or the strongest, Urogue even refers to him as #2. Luffy also put's a lot of faith in him and generally listens when he opens his mouth like with the the whole Usopp incident. He has more pull than anyone else in the crew, Oda doesn't need to tell us that he is the First Mate in order for us to know. I hope you aren't one of those people who think that all the Division Commanders of Whitebeards ship are all the same strength and all have the same respect/pull within the crew even though it's been made clear on several occasions that Marco is the top dog after Whitebeard.

I'm of the opinion that Laffite is Blackbeards First Mate, the First Mate doesn't always have to be the strongest. I think he's stronger than all of his crewmates bar Shiliew.

Zoro is not the first mate. He was never called the first mate and Urouge said he's "#2" which refers to second in power. You may think whatever you want but there is no cannon material to prove that and until it appears in manga you have no ground to stand on.
    The only time when Oda used "first mate" when talking about Mugiwara crew was in Green with his original plan to make a "sniper-first mate".
    Even if Zoro was the first mate - we are discussing Blackbeard Pirates here and that would no have any affect on Shiliew's being or not being at that.
    Last edited by Al!naJames; January 1st, 2012 at 05:37 PM.

Zoro is not the first mate. He was never called the first mate and Urouge said he's "#2" which refers to second in power.
    How would Urogue know who the second strongest of Luffy's crew was? He's clearly talking about rank. "If number two is this crazy then that speaks volumes about the captain" or something to that effect.

You may think whatever you want but there is no cannon material to prove and until it appears in manga you have no ground to stand on.
    There is a totem pole in crews whether you want to accept it or not. Take the Heart Pirates for example, Bepo was never stated to be the First Mate but he is at the top of the hierarchy in his crew, above everyone but Law. I don't know about you but I don't need to be told by Oda "HAY GAIS, FIRST MATE HEREZ!!" to know that he is the First Mate.

Even if Zoro was the first mate - we are discussing Blackbeard Pirates here and that would no have any affect on Shiliew's being or not being at that.
    Laffite has shown the most authority after Blackbeard, he even threatened to kill Avalo Pizarro. His portrayal just screams First Mate to me. Most lines/panel time, first to be introduced, tasked with important missions, only crew member not to eat Aces Hiken, and he's the only known DF user in the crew aside from BB at this point.

Neither of the crews have first mates.
    Because they are equally important, all of them, not like those fleet crews with tons of human meat running around in the background.

Neither of the crews have first mates.
    Because they are equally important, all of them, not like those fleet crews with tons of human meat running around in the background.
    Equally important eh? Is that why Blackbeard simply allowed Laffite to threaten his new nakamas life?

Do you want me to go on quoting how many times Zoro and Sanji promised to kill each other?

Do you want me to go on quoting how many times Zoro and Sanji promised to kill each other?

Obvious gag scenes. Lafitte was quite serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis-1988 View Post
    Obvious gag scenes. Lafitte was quite serious.[/COLOR]
    cause they're unruly,like real pirates

and Shillew will fight Zoro not cause they;re first mates,but cause theyre swordsmans.And Zoro always fights the swordsman

Or did you forget how many times Usopp said he wants to be captain instead of Luffy? Can't Blackbeards have a gag scene too? Aw.

=Al!naJames;2482782]Or did you forget how many times Usopp said he wants to be captain instead of Luffy? Can't Blackbeards have a gag scene too? Aw.
    Can you really not tell the difference between comic relief and when characters are being serious? xD

and Shillew will fight Zoro not cause they;re first mates,but cause theyre swordsmans.And Zoro always fights the swordsman

Where did I disagree with you?

first to be introduced, tasked with important missions, only crew member not to eat Aces Hiken
    And wait, what?
    Laffitte was the last one to be shown out of the first 5. Or do you mean the intro box? He never had it actually. He had his position shown only by volume 45 and in the credit page, too, not all of the fans are aware of that. And he's the only one left without the epithet.
    Ace only hit BB, Q and Burgess - Laffitte flew up and Augur run away few panels before that, he's a "supersonic", after all. It's clear if you carefully look through pages of chapter 440.
    And Laffitte went to deliver the message since he has a flying fruit, who else could they send?

Can you really not tell the difference between comic relief and when characters are being serious? xD
    Laffitte wasn't any more serious than Zoro and Sanji usually are. I don't think Pizarro was actually thinking Blackbeard could ever let him lead the way when he asked that. Whole Burning Island scene was full of comic relief, from Shiliew's meddling everybody laughed at to Bonney kicking Blackbeard in the face.
    The first 4 members are much more devoted to BB compared to later 5 (at least at first), especially Laffitte.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Smarter? Yes. Stronger? Highly doubt it :P He's not a fighter type.

Oops where did your post go?

What the heck, my post.... :( You win, Alina, I don't feel like debating anymore.

Zoro isn't the first mate, mainly because there is no real order between the Straw Hats. Luffy doesn't even act like a real captain, and even if he did he would never rank one of his nakama's over the others. It just won't happen.

When Rayleigh was formally introduced, there was an infobox-thingy stating his status as First Mate of Roger's crew.
    http://www.mangareader.net/103-2607-...apter-500.html
    Bit of an odd translation...but it outlines the same thing, nonetheless.

Lafitte nor any of Blackbeard's crew have gotten an infobox stating that they're first mate, so it's pretty safe to say none of them are.

I think most of us assume Zoro to be the first mate and to me there are some examples where he takes up this role or where Luffy counts on him as the first mate. Just like when Ussop left the crew at Water 7 to give an example. In Blackbeards crew it's a bit harder though seeing we don't really know that much about the crew and it could be any one of his crew that is the first mate. Certainly after gaining new crew members from Impel Down of whom we know virtually nothing but seeing they have been roaming the New World for 2 years now my guess is that it will be a lot clearer when we see them the next time.

Don't Dream It, Be It.

Arrow Re: General Blackbeard Thread

Funny How Every Time Shiliew's is the topic on this thread it always comes down to the First mate Discussion; Than it comes down to Zoro....
    And this is not the First time.

http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t...t=#post2133800

http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t...t=#post2395776

I suggest you guys Revisit these pages.

First of all.
    What is a first mate on a ship?

Answer:

The first mate, also called the first officer, is second in command of the vessel

Source - http://wiki.answers.com

A First Mate (副船長 Fuku Senchō?, literally meaning "Vice Captain") is the top officer on board a ship after the captain.
    Essentially, the first mate is the one officer the captain must put full trust in and pick carefully. They are the captain's right-hand man and if the captain is not at hand on the ship or is otherwise incapacitated, the first mate is the next in line to take over the captain's job.

Source - http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/First_Mate

First Mate

First Mate had rank just below the Captain. He would take control of the ship if the Captain could not perform his duties any longer. However, pirate ships usually did not have First Mates; Quartermasters performed their duties.

Quartermaster

After Captain, the most authority on a pirate ship had Quartermaster. As a Captain's right hand, he was in charge when Captain was not around. He had authority and he could punish men for not obeying commands.

Source -http://www.thewayofthepirates.com/pirate-life/who-is-who.php

Spoiler:

Stephen's Script

Urouge: A second-in-command worth 120 million.
    He doesn't look like the type to follow another man...
    That tells you something about his captain...

Now Alina I'm aware of your reply to my post.

Originally Posted by Aohige_AP

Exactly what it says.
    He says "second", not specifically first mate.

However First mate/Vice captain/Second in command/Quarter Master are one in the same thing, Depending on the Ships Crew.

Captain's Right Hand.

Spoiler:
    This is not the first time Zoro's been Shown like this.

Decision Maker When Captain Not Around.
    Spoiler:

Not The only time his taken charge when The captain is Incapacitated.

It has been shown to us that Zoro has been the guy Who would watch over the crew and protect them
    even if his life is lost. Even if he has to force his Crewmates to survive.(knocking out sanji at thriller bark.)

2nd in command is not about giving orders. if that were the case than nami would be Captain.

Oda has been showing us that Luffy is the Captain who will protect his Crew at all cost, and the rest of the Strawhats will do the same for each other but We have been Shown By ODA that its zoro who steps up and protects them in luffys absence.

Now Seriously to end this silly Discussion answer me this one Question.

Why in the world would Oda have one of his characters say something like Zoro' is the Second in command when he isn't.

If you Agree that his Second in Command than Explain to me What First Mate Means to you.

Zoro will Fight Shillew Because his most likely the Second strongest in the crew and his a swordsman. Not because Shillew is a first mate, Which his not.
    Last edited by AppleSauce; January 2nd, 2012 at 04:12 AM.

Why in the world would Oda have one of his characters say something like Zoro' is the Second in command when he isn't.
    Because Urouge knows nothing about the Straw Hats, his comments are based on assumptions (Zoro being a super nova with a bounty far higher than the others, for example). Of course he would conclude that Zoro is the second in command, while we all know that there is no real order within the crew. We frequently get to see the Straw hats from the pov of others, but merely to see how notorious they are (and of course for giggles, like Choppers or Sanji's wanted posters).

I'm not considering Zoro (or any other SH) the first mate unless it is stated from someone within the crew (you know, the ones who can really judge).

And the only incident giving any "hint" is this one:

http://www.mangareader.net/103-2093-...hapter-42.html

Luffy agree's that if he ever chickens out, Usopp is the new captain.

Fits your description:

After Captain, the most authority on a pirate ship had Quartermaster. As a Captain's right hand, he was in charge when Captain was not around. He had authority and he could punish men for not obeying commands.

Now you can argue that this was comic relief (although I see no laughs, no face faults, whatever). You can also speculate that after Usopp left, the "deal" is void as well. But we don't know that, all assumptions.

But whatever, Oda will never break the unique relationship between the Straw Hats by introducing Whitebeard-like rankings.

Edit: Btw, It really feels like people need a compensation for Zoro having "no real job" on the ship. The SH's give a damn about that, why should we? Zoro is Zoro and his worth is unquestionable. And something on topic: I don't think Blackbeard has a first mate as well. Because frankly, out of all pirate crews, his seems to be the closest to the Straw Hats (captain cares for his members, no real order spottable etc)
    Last edited by Jabra; January 2nd, 2012 at 05:06 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information