+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinland Saga

Default Vinland Saga

Anyone else read this one?
    Spoiler:

Its a Seinen manga about Vikings (finally), and deals with a band of Mercenaries and one boy in that troupe in paticular.

now I could go into all this other stuff about the manga but I think this image will cover what my feeling are on it.

Spoiler:

yes they are running it at an enemy castle

Default Re: Vinland Saga

It's no Planetes, but it's pretty damn fun, and the art is sexy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kefky View Post

hmmm never heard of that one?

and right now there are 2.5 volumes translated and 5 out in RAW format

A full three volumes are scanlated actually

Quote Originally Posted by Kefky View Post
    I dunno, as much as I like Planetes, I've really found the dude has stepped his game up a notch after volume 2, I guess because of the flashback being over and/or changing over to a monthly magazine

"People say, is it the afro that makes the champion, or the champion that makes the afro...?
    It is still unexplained by modern science!!"

I'm interested....

I'm surprised there're no active translators for the manga indeed, it's basically one of the greatest series currently running. Askeladd is the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Shigan View Post
    I'm surprised there're no active translators for the manga indeed, it's basically one of the greatest series currently running. Askeladd is the man.
    Um, mangascreener's scanslating it.

Vikings, sexy art,

I might check this out.

"Set fail" is right.

Definitely got a Berserk vibe from how you described it in that one sentence. Hell, it reminds me a lot of Golden Age berserk..just with vikings.

And that's pretty awesome if it is. Definitely interested.

I wonder if Oda reads this series...

Read til Vol. 3, main character is a freaking jackass, but the concept action and drama are good.
    My biggest gripe is the art; it feels way too anime-ish to catch the feel of hardened warriors ready to slay you, your mother, your newly born child and puppy just for the fun of it.
    Gonna get Vol. 4 and 5 now and see what's happening next. Overall an OK series.

OK seriously

WHY IS THIS SERIES NOT ANIMATED YET?!

Gotta say his art got better once he switched to monthly, and the anime-ish vibe I was getting nerfed down somewhat.

Oh and

Fuck PETA and spoilers.

I picked this one up only recently. I've always been fascinated with viking mythos and read all the chapters in Onemanga in about a day. It's always a bittersweet experience when you pick up a new comic, first you can read many chapters in a row but in the end you have to wait for the next one for ages.

I wonder where Thorfinn can go from here. Maybe he learns to value his life during his time as a slave, dunno. It was funny that the whole 54 first chapters was just a "prologue" and the real story is supposedly just starting now.

エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar

I bet you wish it was "Finland Saga" eh, Traveller? =3=
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    Making Anime and Manga OBSOLETE since 2006
    PM me for details

Well, the whole viking business wasn't really big in Finland, we left it for the swedes, danes and norwegians, since they have more beard growth than us.

Hunter Pirate Poet Friend of Luffy and Gon's Avatar

Haha that response was fairly epic Traveller, it sounded like something Oda would come out and say. We all know the things Oda says put him ahead of other shounen mankaka!

As for Vinland Saga I really think it has a lot of potential. I haven't really seen anything covering Norse/Viking folklore and history in manga before this. Excuse me of I offend some people when I say Norse instead of Viking sometimes, I do realise there was more to the Vikings than Norway. If someone can correct me to my mistakes on Viking lore during this discussion I would appreciate the chance to correct my faults.

Yes I am especially polite to Northern European people (I'm polite to people in general) because I have a great deal of respect for them and their traditions, and plan on one day after I make it to Japan to visit several countries up there and experience the culture.

Anyway back to Vinland Saga. I really enjoy the series, I anticipate very eagerly every new release. I do find it a bit tragic when it gets a bit darker later on though, and I can really feel sorry for Thorfinn throughout.

i just read all of this...and holy shit...askeladd was the best character ever...and seeing him die like that...was crazy....how he sliced the king and everything...man..and seeing how all of that was just the prologue makes me excited...i hope it doesnt go downhill from here

Hunter Pirate Poet Friend of Luffy and Gon's Avatar

I prefer shounen overall over seinen and yet in my experience seinen rarely fails to deliver epic moments. Askeladd died as a badass as he had lived as a badass. Talk about heroic!

This thread has been dead for eleven months...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information