Thread: Post OP Cosplayers that Really Impress You

Emergency Induction Port~ Toshiya's Avatar

Default Re: The OFFICIAL "Greatest One Piece Cosplays" Thead

Hey Sogeking is really amazing too :3

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Carter View Post
    This thread is proof that Lobster just posts everything he sees on 4chan
    In short, myth busted. Good work Carter. XD

Anyways, to some of those images, I'll give credit. But some of them seem to be shopped. Overly shopped. If not that, then hell if I know what.

But most of the cosplayers that post in the "Cosplay Here!" thread that Youshi started are IMO some of the more memorable cosplayers I've seen/met/known of.

On topic...

I'm surprised Bushido hasn't been posted in here yet. Haha, the Luffy cosplayer in any of those pics is myself, of course.

Spoiler:

Most, if not all of those, are reposts from other threads.

"Livin' the Asian life, one stereotype at a time."

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer
    At the end of the world, it would appear..

In short, myth busted. Good work Carter. XD

He was wrong though

I'm glad someone posted Bushido-san; I was wondering when you'd pop in here, Hoffy! ^__^
    "Sorry, Dad. I can't play WoW tonight because I've got to go play D&D."

Quote Originally Posted by Lobster Pot-Sticker View Post

He was wrong though

I posted after he posted his post concerning that. So uh, it's whatever. Anyways, I totally need to get ready for AX 2007. I heard its gonna be coming up this year.

He was wrong though
    Well, then you had the same overused source as whoever's been posting the exact same pictures there.

Also, this thread would probably look more "official" if "thread" wasn't spelled wrong in the title.

Quote Originally Posted by fin fish View Post
    Well, then you had the same overused source as whoever's been posting the exact same pictures there.
    Who cares? They were good pictures, which my K-F peeps got from various different places.
    Vivi (who really ISN'T very good
    I fail to see how it is bad. Sure the wig color is a tad off, but come on... It's still a very good cosplay
    Also, this thread would probably look more "official" if "thread" wasn't spelled wrong in the title.
    Well I'm sorry for failing to meet your standards. Cause' that's clearly what I was aiming for :D

Here is a cool Moji and Cabaji

Last edited by Lobster Pot-Sticker; December 10th, 2007 at 11:08 PM.

Woah, hang on. What's with all the Asian hate? You really have no right to say anything against it, the shit comes from Japan so expect there to be plenty of Asian cosplayers. As for Asians being "superior" in cosplay, I don't recall anyone saying that, MoonNeko.

But I can see why that is a general thought that goes around in the world of cosplay, after all, most manga/anime characters ARE Asian. But I gotta say, I almost never actually see Asian cosplay, most is Caucasian.

I think that's the first time I've ever seen a Cabaji cosplayer. Huh.

Thanks to PirateNeko for the avatar!

Aren't a lot of the "really really good looking" Japanese cosplayers just hired models though? I thought I read that somewhere.

the bigot who thinks being an asshole is actually worth shit

Well I'm sorry for failing to meet your standards. Cause' that's clearly what I was aiming for :D
    You should be. :\

Quote Originally Posted by jmbjr View Post
    I think that's the first time I've ever seen a Cabaji cosplayer. Huh.
    And Mohji, for that matter.

@Carter: Yeah...like I said, I rarely see Asian cosplay and when I do it usually does look "too" professional, pretty clear that it actually is.

Speaking of such, just how big are manga/anime cons in Japan and cosplay in general? You never see any photos from Japanese cons, which is understandable really. Most manga/anime fanbase on the web aren't even anywhere near Japan to go to them and take photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Carter View Post
    Aren't a lot of the "really really good looking" Japanese cosplayers just hired models though? I thought I read that somewhere.
    Well, technically if anyone dresses up and gets their picture taken, they are "modeling", I guess. But alot of these are doctored, so that the skin is without blemish/glowing. (or atleast that's what I've been told)
    You should be. :\

Speaking of such, just how big are manga/anime cons in Japan and cosplay in general? You never see any photos from Japanese cons, which is understandable really. Most manga/anime fanbase on the web aren't even anywhere near Japan to go to them and take photos.
    Really? o__O

I've seen plenty... You usually can see like, dozens of other cosplayers behind them in the pictures. (same with American ones)

@ Buuhan: I think I totally broke that trend, with the over professional, model-esque, Asian cosplay good sir.

I find myself to be pretty content as a Luffy cosplayer, and I'm aiming to cosplay every arc. I'm not the hottest guy around, hell, I'm far as hell from that, IMO. But people said time and time I'd make a great Luffy, and its starting to look like those statements are starting to hold their ground.

My sewing skills are nowhere near professional levels, but nor do I need to have them; people love what I already do, and I'm not gonna fix what isn't broken, as the old saying goes.

I think what MoonNeko was getting at was the general view that a lot of people have that, if you aren't Japanese, you are a shitty cosplayer. (Yes, I apologize for the sweeping generalization, but this is not aimed at anyone here. Just something I've noted in the cosplay community over the years.)

Case In Point:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/cosplay/the...you-304762.php

I do agree that most of the really nice Japanese cosplayers you see are probably professionally paid, as cosplay isn't really something that's as commonplace at Japanese cons. (I believe there is a specific place you have to wear them at cons and you aren't allowed to wear them elsewhere? Perhaps I was misinformed.)

Not knowing this fact about paid models, a lot of people post these photos, which are better quality photos than what many of us have at hand, with a holier-than-thou attitude towards non-Japanese cosplayers. Those of us, like myself, who don't have these professional photography skills, and who have to make all our own stuff with what skills we have, tend to view this as an insult.

This is not to say that they are bad cosplayers, but they are not cosplaying in the way that we, as Western cosplayers, are familiar with. I'm fairly certain that most of these Japanese cosplayers we see in these amazing professional shoots have their costumes either professionally made or provided for them (such as you can buy anything Gothic Lolita at specific stores in Japan, as well as cosplay costumes.)
    Last edited by Youshi Semenjyu; December 10th, 2007 at 11:25 PM.

cosplay isn't really something that's smiled upon much in Japan
    Well, I wouldn't say it's generally smiled upon too much in America either...
    (But I still think it's a cool concept either way)

You guys should stop viewing cosplay as a "competition", and start viewing it as an "art". You can do whatever the heck you want to, because that's your own style. :D

Now commence my puppets~

Last edited by Lobster Pot-Sticker; December 10th, 2007 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Youshi Semenjyu View Post
    I think what MoonNeko was getting at was the general view that a lot of people have that, if you aren't Japanese, you are a shitty cosplayer. (Yes, I apologize for the sweeping generalization, but this is not aimed at anyone here. Just something I've noted in the cosplay community over the years.)

Case In Point:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/cosplay/the...you-304762.php

I do agree that most of the really nice Japanese cosplayers you see are probably professionally paid, as cosplay isn't really something that's as commonplace at Japanese cons. (I believe there is a specific place you have to wear them at cons and you aren't allowed to wear them elsewhere? Perhaps I was misinformed.)

Not knowing this fact about paid models, a lot of people post these photos, which are better quality photos than what many of us have at hand, with a holier-than-thou attitude towards non-Japanese cosplayers, which many of us who are NOT Asian view as an insult. Read that article I linked to get a small taste of what I mean.

This is not to say that they are bad cosplayers, but they are not cosplaying in the way that we, as Western cosplayers, are familiar with. I'm fairly certain that most of these Japanese cosplayers we see in these amazing professional shoots have their costumes either professionally made or provided for them (such as you can buy anything Gothic Lolita at specific stores in Japan, as well as cosplay costumes.)
    Ugh, yeah, I remember that article. It pissed me off a lot.

What I like though is how many people say "WELL ANIME CHARACTERS ARE ASIAN, SO OF COURSE ASIANS LOOK MORE LIKE THEM" but then still claim that all Asians who cosplay the royal family of Britannia from Code Gayass Geass are still automatically better. lol what.

[quote=MushroomBoy;736499]HERRAY~! i may contribute:

robin and croc:
    Spoiler:

Robin:
    Spoiler:

Boss&Mum are my absolute favorite Croc/Robin cossers ever. They're married too, it's adorable!
    Although, I have the bestest young Robin. I've helped work on her for 4 years! She even looks, acts and eats like a real little girl! http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1101085

For Nami, I'm not gonna say anything for the sole fact that I'm tossing together some more of her costumes and might come across as biased.

Fave Vivi has to go to TC: http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=566949

Sanji to wakusei, Paulie to flipster...and Kaku/Lucci to these other guys.
    http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=801264
    http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=709130
    http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=802012

Chopper to no face:
    http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=735465

Still looking for super exceptional Zoro/Luffy/Usopp. There was a really HOT Zoro at ACen '06, but I'm not too keen on the costume enough to say if it was 'the best' or not yet.

And as a general sweeping note to the last page that exploded, there's PLENTY of crappy One Piece cosplay from ALL countries even when the people are considered hot. If you'd like to see some, pm me. I'd rather not beat flames out because of detailing peeves on the public part of the boards.

Now I didn't mean they are better by my comment, I was simply implying I have an idea where all the love for them comes from.

Pocky, I think you has teh bestest Robin cosplayer ebar. SHe's adorwable.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information