Closed Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Zoro the First Mate?

Default Re: Is Zoro the first mate or just the swordman

I'm pretty sure Luffy is the first mate.

[/stupid]

Huge Thanks to FrankyIsFeelingSupah for his help with everything

Quote Originally Posted by BartholomewKuma View Post
    1st mate = 1st friend/1st crewmember.
    actually 1st mate is something like vice-captain, the 1st after captain
    The only reason for walking into the jaws of Death is so's you can steal his gold teeth.

First mate can also be the first mate.

Zoro for sure is the First mate by all means, he takes control when Luffy isn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by h3h3h3 View Post
    he takes control when Luffy isn't there.
    that's what I meant
    The only reason for walking into the jaws of Death is so's you can steal his gold teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Buuhan1
    Urouge referred to Zoro as the first mate in 499. I'm sure some people will debate "He's only presuming!" I consider that foolish and even more proof Zoro is the first mate. Then again, it could be the translation too. Could someone dissect the original line?
    Since you asked about the original line: Urouge doesn't use the exact word for first mate (副船長, fukusenchou) when he's talking about Zoro--he says nibante (二番手), which would translate into something like "number two person". So Urouge's line could be translated as, "He's their number two man, yet he's worth 120,000,000 Berries." What that implies is debatable, I suppose.

Personally, I think that Zoro is the closest thing the Straw Hats will ever have to a first mate--especially after the way he handled the Usopp incident at Water 7, it's hard to argue that he's not. Still, I guess the only person who could ever make it "official" is Luffy, and I doubt he'll ever say Zoro's the first mate outright...but we'll see.

And even though it was filler the whole ending of Thriller Bark was just like the first mate for the Pheonix Pirate crew. Their frist mate sacrificed himself becuase he believed that their captain was gonna be pirate king. And well Zoro did the same. Sure Sanji tried as well, but Zoro knocked him out to keep him safe as well and sacrificed himself.

Yeah, I recently watched the Ice Hunter arc and noticed that similarity. I don't know where the manga was at when they wrote that and I doubt they were actually setting up a parallel, but it's interesting nonetheless.

I think the most shocking part of Zoro's Thriller Bark scene was the part where he said, "Luffy is the man who's gonna be Pirate King!" since it shows how invested he's become in Luffy's dream. I think Usopp is the only other member of the crew who's stated something like that so extremely.

A Futue Bounty of 310mil Neomaster121's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hinscher View Post
    And even though it was filler the whole ending of Thriller Bark was just like the first mate for the Pheonix Pirate crew. Their frist mate sacrificed himself becuase he believed that their captain was gonna be pirate king. And well Zoro did the same. Sure Sanji tried as well, but Zoro knocked him out to keep him safe as well and sacrificed himself.

yea i watched that filler arc and it was just before the end of the tb arc before kuma roughly round odz vs the crew

and as i watched Zoro sacrifice himself i thought about the filler and it just reconfirmed all i thought about Zoro being first mate and i can't wait until its animated

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro-OP View Post
    i think ur allowed to edit the articles on wikipedia, i dont know
    best post in this entire thread

Fun topic, how'd I miss it?

On merchant ships, the First Mate is (more fun with wikipedia) "responsible to the captain for the safety and security of the ship. Responsibilities include the crew's welfare and training in areas such as safety, firefighting, search and rescue." Again, that's on merchant ships. They're also in charge of the watch.

Pirate crews were mostly a sort of a democracy, with the Captain in charge during battle and the Quartermaster basically in charge during non-combat. (Quartermasters on navel ships are traditionally the navigator.)

SO... Zoro is basically the First Mate. Nami is the Quartermaster. However, being on a pirate ship, none of those titles really apply.

Except that of Captain of course.

Um, yeah, wasn't he actually called the "first mate" in the latest manga chapter?! And I'm pretty sure he's been called such multiple times throughout the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
    Celine Dion post in the MK thread. I wish I could neg you.

Thank you PN for Avatar ^^ Gorlom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Shmeckie View Post
    Um, yeah, wasn't he actually called the "first mate" in the latest manga chapter?! And I'm pretty sure he's been called such multiple times throughout the series.
    I direct your attention to Blendy:

Quote Originally Posted by blendy View Post
    Since you asked about the original line: Urouge doesn't use the exact word for first mate (副船長, fukusenchou) when he's talking about Zoro--he says nibante (二番手), which would translate into something like "number two person". So Urouge's line could be translated as, "He's their number two man, yet he's worth 120,000,000 Berries." What that implies is debatable, I suppose.

Personally, I think that Zoro is the closest thing the Straw Hats will ever have to a first mate--especially after the way he handled the Usopp incident at Water 7, it's hard to argue that he's not. Still, I guess the only person who could ever make it "official" is Luffy, and I doubt he'll ever say Zoro's the first mate outright...but we'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivotas View Post
    What the...? Holy smurf am I slow! Until this statement of yours I never even realized that an octopus is actually serving octopusballs. Talk about not seeing the forest because of too many trees. *facepalm*

By the 7 Sons of Pwngoat! *Meh*'s Avatar

The more I think about it, the more I think Zoro really is Second Capitan. http://www.apforums.net/showpost.php...&postcount=102 His performance at Whiskey Peak certainly hints at it.
    I'm like Hisotensoku: Not here to preserve peace, nor to destroy it. I certainly can't move mountains. Mostly, I'm just full of hot air.
    - *Meh*

So basically this is a question people like debating because there's no definitive answer, despite it being fairly obvious.

I'm no sailor or nautical historian, but it seems pretty obvious that Zoro takes over or enforces a judgment when necessary. I'm not sure if that falls in the guidelines of a 1st mate, but it sure appears that way.

In 90% of ships, the first mate is the Navigator. That means Nami. In the other 10%, it's whoever the Captain says it is.

Since Luffy hasn't desginated anyone as his First Mate, Nami would be the First Mate. However, Zoro takes charge in stressful situations that Nami can't handle.

To answer the topic question, Zoro is first mate when it calls for it. Otherwise, he's just the swordsman.
    Last edited by "Fire Fist" Ace; May 19th, 2008 at 09:47 AM.
    I called it wrong, so long ago. I guess this needs to be changed.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

Quote Originally Posted by "Fire Fist" Ace View Post
    In 90% of ships, the first mate is the Navigator. That means Nami. In the other 10%, it's whoever the Captain says it is.

Since Luffy hasn't desginated anyone as his First Mate, Nami would be the First Mate. However, Zoro takes charge in stressful situations that Nami can't handle.

To answer the topic question, Zoro is first mate when it calls for it. Otherwise, he's just the swordsman.
    Just curious as to where your pulling this information from. It's all to obvious that zoro is the first mate.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDMalcolm View Post
    Just curious as to where your pulling this information from. It's all to obvious that zoro is the first mate.
    Not always. Nami guides the ship, Nami makes a lot of the decisions. Only in stressful situations does Zoro make the decisions.
    I called it wrong, so long ago. I guess this needs to be changed.

Alright here is the basic positions and duties on a ship.

Captian- Full responsibility of ship, crew, and cargo. 24 hour watch period.
    Chief Mate/First Mate- Acting captain, PIC for fuel transfer, PIC for Deck side maintenance, and officer on watch.
    2nd mate- Navigation, officer on watch
    3rd mate- safety, officer on watch.
    bos'n- PIC of Abled Body seamen. Does what the Chief mate tells him/her to do.
    AB seamen- Does what ever the Bos'n tells them to do, helmsman

Banalona for the win! Kokolores's Avatar

The 1st mate is the senior sailor on board, but he's still below the officers. The navigator, if there was such a position on the ship, usually was an officer, because it required quite advanced knowledge. Knowledge beyond a senior crewman who usually couldn't read.

That aside Zoro is definitely the number two among the SH just like blendy said. I wouldn't call it a first mate, he's more of a leutenant, but seeing how pirates had rarely officers that doesn't fit either.
    Gorlak wants you for the army

Quote Originally Posted by betrayal View Post
    Alright here is the basic positions and duties on a ship.

Captian- Full responsibility of ship, crew, and cargo. 24 hour watch period.
    Chief Mate/First Mate- Acting captain, PIC for fuel transfer, PIC for Deck side maintenance, and officer on watch.
    2nd mate- Navigation, officer on watch
    3rd mate- safety, officer on watch.
    so, that kinda answers the question...

Closed Thread

Thread Information