+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Computer Bug Help

Default Re: Computer Bug Help

Quote Originally Posted by Sakonosolo View Post
    Can't remember if I posted here when the initial problem happened. In any case the initial problem was that I moved my computer and the volume, with everything maxed out, was really really quiet. This eventually fixed itself but the same issue started happening again. This time I didn't do anything. I went to do something else and my computer was on the entire time. When I went back to it the sound volume was really low again. That also fixed itself after a couple of hours without me doing anything. And then the next day it happened again and hasn't fixed itself yet. It's been a few days.

I've tried messing with the audio options, reinstalling drivers, etc. I have a PCI sound card as well as the sound card on the motherboard and both of them are affected. I tried different headphones and speakers and all of them are affected. Right now I'm using a pair of USB headphones and they're not having an issue, which I think is strange. The only things I can think of that could be the problem are

1. Something in Windows 7 is causing issues that I can't find.
    2. Both my onboard sound card and my PCI sound card are failing at the same time (maybe an issue with the motherboard could cause both to have problems too?)

I don't want to go buying and replacing hardware though until I know for sure that they're the issues.
    Maybe a wire or a plug is a little loose somewhere? Since it first happened after you moved your computer it might be "physical" problem, instedad of something with software.
    "We are brethren of the monastery called The World, where folk grow hungry"

Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar

Can't remember if I posted here when the initial problem happened. In any case the initial problem was that I moved my computer and the volume, with everything maxed out, was really really quiet. This eventually fixed itself but the same issue started happening again. This time I didn't do anything. I went to do something else and my computer was on the entire time. When I went back to it the sound volume was really low again. That also fixed itself after a couple of hours without me doing anything. And then the next day it happened again and hasn't fixed itself yet. It's been a few days.

I've tried messing with the audio options, reinstalling drivers, etc. I have a PCI sound card as well as the sound card on the motherboard and both of them are affected. I tried different headphones and speakers and all of them are affected. Right now I'm using a pair of USB headphones and they're not having an issue, which I think is strange. The only things I can think of that could be the problem are

1. Something in Windows 7 is causing issues that I can't find.
    2. Both my onboard sound card and my PCI sound card are failing at the same time (maybe an issue with the motherboard could cause both to have problems too?)

I don't want to go buying and replacing hardware though until I know for sure that they're the issues.
    If it's happening every day you could always boot to a linux live cd ramdisk or somesuch to rule out hardware.

^The PCI sound card doesn't have Linux drivers but I assume my onboard sound card (which is also being affected) would work in Linux, right?

@Huon: Maybe. That would require me to rummage around in the computer looking for issues though .

I have an issue, similar to this video:

Basicially, the blacks in my screen all turned bright red, and I even got some blue vertical - albeit distorted - lines. When I turned my computer on and off, it said it was an issue with a cooling fan, named 90b or something. I sprayed all the vents with air compresser...still all red.

One of comments in the video suggests I "pull" the screen towards me, that it's a video-based problem.....perhaps it is dust, I don't know....my dad is taking it today to have a look at.

Anyone encounter this problem before?

How long have you had the computer? It sounds like you might be having issues with the actual screen itself. I haven't had this exact issue before but the laptop I had (before it died) had a vertical blue line down the screen. It would go away at some points but not at others. I think it's just an issue with the actual screen itself. That's not that good though as there's no way to fix it I imagine without replacing the entire screen, which on a laptop would be difficult.

How long have you had the computer? It sounds like you might be having issues with the actual screen itself. I haven't had this exact issue before but the laptop I had (before it died) had a vertical blue line down the screen. It would go away at some points but not at others. I think it's just an issue with the actual screen itself. That's not that good though as there's no way to fix it I imagine without replacing the entire screen, which on a laptop would be difficult.
    I suspect as much.

I've had my laptop for....uh, a little over four years now? Unforunately for me, my dad didn't bring it in today, so the fate is up in the air. I'll look around for any answers.....worse cast situation, I'll have to get a new one.

EDIT: fiddling with the screen has....removed the blue lines, black is still mostly red though.
    Last edited by MetaMario; February 26th, 2015 at 02:25 PM.

Okay, it's an external issue. Need a new panel, not a motherboard.

uh maybe not? Micro Center (where my brother works) now says the issue is a little more serious than originally thought, so the cost is gonna be higher, they need to order the part and all.....I really don't want to get a whole-new laptop if there's a chance to fix this one, so I'm still going for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MetaMario View Post
    uh maybe not? Micro Center (where my brother works) now says the issue is a little more serious than originally thought, so the cost is gonna be higher, they need to order the part and all.....I really don't want to get a whole-new laptop if there's a chance to fix this one, so I'm still going for it.
    How the tables have turned, past me. Old laptop never got fixed, but the new one is great!

.....however....

recently I've been getting annoying connection hiccups.
    Hidden:

Along with NAME_ NOT_RESOLVED and another error message I forget, but I think they all seem to be related to this "DNS". What exactly is it? I tried some solution in the command prompt and resetting my modem but nothing....what to do?

From what I understand, the DNS is essentially what translates back and forth between IP addresses and actual names of sites. You could check what DNS your computer is using and potentially change it.

https://developers.google.com/speed/...dns/docs/using

This page explains where you can find the info and how to change it. It's for using Google's DNS servers, which are the ones I think I'm using, but there are others too and I think your ISP would have their own that, while they should be used automatically and that's probably what your computer is set to do, you could call and ask them or look on their site or something for their DNS servers. You could try various ones.

I have a problem now. I cannot go to any internet site from any browser anymore. It just says something like Error side not found. However, stuff like skype or ICQ still works as well as my Wii U browser. I'm using windows 10 if it matters.
    Forum user Bartholemew Bear passed away in a very moving and touching way. I, ARTEMlS, therefore carry on the Will of DArth for good unto its final fulfilment.

Those are generally symptoms of a malfunctioning DNS server. Your internet works fine but you are unable to resolve domain names. If you're using default settings configured by your ISP or whatnot, they'll probably fix their DNS server after a while. You can try disconnecting your internet for a few minutes; your computer might be assigned a different DNS server. Otherwise you can manually override the DNS settings and use a known open one such as 8.8.8.8 run by Google.

That did it, thanks! The issue definitely was that DNS server and not some kind of malware? So everything is fine now, right?
    Forum user Bartholemew Bear passed away in a very moving and touching way. I, ARTEMlS, therefore carry on the Will of DArth for good unto its final fulfilment.

I googled this and I tried everything several seemingly trusted sites told me to no avail, so please help me wit this, AP computer gods. :(
    This should be a simple malware issue. I downloaded an untrusted software because I was in a rush (had an event to run and had to convert numbers in an excel sheet into contacts and stuff)
    So what this did is it changed the whole layout of my windows bar and every time I browse the internet it would be full of ads and random pages would randomly open to show even more ads.
    I uninstalled everything and that reverted the bars to normal, what I couldn't stop despite using a multitude of malware detectors (hitman pro, malwarebytes, adwcleaner, downloading Bitdefender total security and doing several full scans) are the ads that show on youtube and other pages, the ads that would randomly start IE and sometimes even chrome, and the random ad pages I would be redirected to when browsing the internet. what bitdefender and malwarebytes seem to be doing now is blocking the ads from "showing" but they still take the space they do on pages like youtube and they do initially open but they are blocked and I cannot click on them.
    an example on the space the ads take now: http://prnt.sc/ez2lvm

tl;dr browsers being redirected to adsites and I cannot find the source no matter how hard I try, used all malware detecting softwares I could. pls help

Hidden:
    This phony honor code that puts you on your throne, a double standard you invoke when you want~

Try running HijackThis. It probably has something to do with your hosts file or something, which HijackThis checks.

Quote Originally Posted by NER View Post
    I googled this and I tried everything several seemingly trusted sites told me to no avail, so please help me wit this, AP computer gods. :(
    This should be a simple malware issue. I downloaded an untrusted software because I was in a rush (had an event to run and had to convert numbers in an excel sheet into contacts and stuff)
    So what this did is it changed the whole layout of my windows bar and every time I browse the internet it would be full of ads and random pages would randomly open to show even more ads.
    I uninstalled everything and that reverted the bars to normal, what I couldn't stop despite using a multitude of malware detectors (hitman pro, malwarebytes, adwcleaner, downloading Bitdefender total security and doing several full scans) are the ads that show on youtube and other pages, the ads that would randomly start IE and sometimes even chrome, and the random ad pages I would be redirected to when browsing the internet. what bitdefender and malwarebytes seem to be doing now is blocking the ads from "showing" but they still take the space they do on pages like youtube and they do initially open but they are blocked and I cannot click on them.
    an example on the space the ads take now: http://prnt.sc/ez2lvm

tl;dr browsers being redirected to adsites and I cannot find the source no matter how hard I try, used all malware detecting softwares I could. pls help
    download avast antivirus and run a boot scan and a full scan. hopefully the boot scan will catch any rootkits you may have installed and the full scan will catch the adware.
    after that, uninstall all of your browsers and delete all of their data if you can.
    if that didn't work, then back up your important data on any partition other than the one that has windows installed on it, usually the (D), then format and reinstall windows on the (C) partition only. you may want to scan the (D) partition after doing that too.
    و اصحى الفار لا يعضك
    lol be careful next time man.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information