+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer Bug Help

Discovered Stowaway

Default Re: Computer Bug Help

if you still have it then i'll be interested in seeing hijackthis log

How can I back up my bookmarks real easy on firefox? i can't find a file folder for them.

Discovered Stowaway

FEBE it backups everything bookmarks, passwords, addons - everything. Used it in past and loved it.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2109/

thanks. that's very helpful. I'm gonna keep asking, if you guys don't mind answering.

We're having internet problems here. I want some input as to what you guys think the problem is.

I am living in a big house with 8 other renters. Our internet was working fine all summer. All of a sudden, our internet is slow and keeps cutting off. We called our internet provider, and they said nothing is wrong with the internet on their end, and that someone is uploading a ton of stuff, and that is what is giving us problems.

I'm not sure if I buy this. Everyone here is pretty nice and understanding, and wouldn't keep doing it if they knew they were causing problems. Also, I remember last year, around this time, we had the same problems when they were working on the network cables down the street. We had to get our modem replaced.

Do you think they could be right, or do you think it's something else? is there some way to check how much bandwidth each person is using on the router? Maybe someone outside the house is using our internet. it is passworded.

Discovered Stowaway

I am assuming that you use wireless router/switch. It actually depends on your router. you can set router to log number of packets or directly bandwidth. Also you can see which users are connected to it.

sometimes worms etc upload stuff. but not tons of stuff. If you really trust your mates then someone is most probably stealing your internet. passwords less than 8 characters or words from English language (aka dictionary words) are really easy to crack.

try changing password to something random and difficult and see if there are any changes.

I flew to Lanzarote last week, and there, the default search engine that is used when I type a query in my address bar (I use Chrome) automatically changed from google.co.uk to google.es. I thought nothing of it, as it was probably a regional change that would change back when I went back to the UK.

Now that I'm in the uk, it still goes to google.es. This is annoying and I tried to change it by changing the default search engine. Changing it to Yahoo! or Bing leads to a search in the co.uk domain, but this is not so with google, which I want to use.

Wat do?

EDIT: I also noticed that the adverts on Facebook and some web sites like mangareader.com is in spanish too, if it helps.
    Last edited by IrishLuigi; October 26th, 2010 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishLuigi View Post
    I flew to Lanzarote last week, and there, the default search engine that is used when I type a query in my address bar (I use Chrome) automatically changed from google.co.uk to google.es. I thought nothing of it, as it was probably a regional change that would change back when I went back to the UK.

Now that I'm in the uk, it still goes to google.es. This is annoying and I tried to change it by changing the default search engine. Changing it to Yahoo! or Bing leads to a search in the co.uk domain, but this is not so with google, which I want to use.

Wat do?

EDIT: I also noticed that the adverts on Facebook and some web sites like mangareader.com is in spanish too, if it helps.
    You are not behind some proxy are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by xterm
    The problem with [the world] is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
    Thanks Sky for the Avatar

Discovered Stowaway

hmmm.... delete cookies + cache; flush dns

Delted cookies and cache and DNS with ccleaner. Problem still there.

@kymohurdin - I shouldn't be behind an proxy. Just checked my current IP address, it states that I'm in the UK.

Quite the peculiar situation.

There's probably an option to switch the url. That's kind of strange, though, how it just did it all of a sudden.

@kymohurdin - I shouldn't be behind an proxy. Just checked my current IP address, it states that I'm in the UK.

I don't know how ccleaner deletes the DNS... you should probably do it manually though.

Goto start->run type cmd and open the command prompt. Type

ipconfig /flushdns

and wait. Your DNS should be flushed... I am assuming this is what Firefist meant... I am also assuming you use Windows
    Last edited by kmohyudin; October 27th, 2010 at 09:04 AM. Reason: And spell my name right you tea sipping yahoo!!
    The problem with [the world] is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

My lure-out strategy. GumGumBattleAxe's Avatar

the first link in the first post takes me to the page, and for some reason my download for it isn't starting. no idea why: my internet is pretty fast.

Try this one instead...

My lure-out strategy. GumGumBattleAxe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kmohyudin View Post
    Try this one instead...
    hahaha still no luck!!! weird!

Quote Originally Posted by kmohyudin View Post
    I don't know how ccleaner deletes the DNS... you should probably do it manually though.

Goto start->run type cmd and open the command prompt. Type

ipconfig /flushdns

and wait. Your DNS should be flushed... I am assuming this is what Firefist meant... I am also assuming you use Windows
    My bad, kmohyudin :P

Flushed dns manually, still not working.

The problem seems restricted to Chrome. uninstalling and reinstalling...

Quote Originally Posted by GumGumBattleAxe View Post
    hahaha still no luck!!! weird!

Its like the internet is falling apart ...

Discovered Stowaway

hmmm... it SHOULD be cookies... :s

NOOOOOO

still spanish.

Tried to see if the adverts are in spanish in firefox, but, even with adblock and noscript off, the ads are still blocked, so I can't find out.

I feel it's a bug in chrome. if the default search is google, it's spanish. If it's google images or any other search site, it's english

DAMMIT WHY CANT I HAVE MY GOOGLE

I decided to bear with it, so what other search engine do you recommend? bing? Yahoo?
    Last edited by IrishLuigi; October 27th, 2010 at 09:59 AM.

Discovered Stowaway

hmm... okay.. open google.com

it will take you to go google.es or something... on bottom there will be 2-3 links
    one will be take to google.com

click it.. and then try

NOOOOOO

still spanish.

Tried to see if the adverts are in spanish in firefox, but, even with adblock and noscript off, the ads are still blocked, so I can't find out.

I feel it's a bug in chrome. if the default search is google, it's spanish. If it's google images or any other search site, it's english

DAMMIT WHY CANT I HAVE MY GOOGLE

I decided to bear with it, so what other search engine do you recommend? bing? Yahoo?
    Try doing this...

Go to the Customize and control options (The tool icon)->options->under the hood

There should be an option "Use DNS prefetching to improve page load performance". See if its checked. If it is, unckeck it and then restart Chrome.

If this doesn't solve your problem... undo the changes.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information