+ Reply to Thread
Page 210 of 314 FirstFirst ... 110 160 200 208 209 210 211 212 220 260 310 ... LastLast
Results 4,181 to 4,200 of 6275

Thread: General 'Haki' Discussion

  1. #4181

    Default Re: General 'Haki' Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by I survived the buster call
    Yes, this is true, but it doesn't really answer my question.
    What exactly are you trying to figure out?

  2. #4182

    Default Re: General 'Haki' Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Redx View Post
    What exactly are you trying to figure out?
    lol--I must have posted this edit as you were aswering the original post. Allow me to repost the pertinent section:

    Throughout the entire series, Luffy has remained ever leery of sharp weapons--most notably during the war when he envisioned his arm being cut off when he went up against Mihawk. Why, in the face of this, do you feel his skin is superior to regular skin? (In terms of sharp weapons)
    Last edited by I survived the buster call; June 10th, 2012 at 08:45 PM.

  3. #4183

    Default Re: General 'Haki' Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by I survived the buster call View Post
    lol--I must have posted this edit as you were aswering the original post. Allow me to repost the pertinent section:

    Throughout the entire series, Luffy has remained ever leery of sharp weapons--most notably during the war when he envisioned his arm being cut off when he went up against Mihawk. Why, in the face of this, do you feel his skin is superior to regular skin? (In terms of sharp weapons)
    Using Mihawk as an example isn't exactly a good thing to do. If you've forgotten, Mihawk is the world's greatest swordsman and can cut through anything. So the fact that Mihawk is able to cut luffy doesn't mean that luffy's skin is weak to sharp weapons. If you recall, luffy has also taken powerful cutting attacks head on like for example rankyaku and come out unfazed. He has also been hit dead on with powerful explosions and managed to get up again with minimal injuries.

  4. #4184
    Hammer Claw Drake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Kansas City

    Default Re: General 'Haki' Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by I survived the buster call View Post
    Interesting discussion, indeed, but, regarding the comment above, how so? Some things that are made of rubber are called "self healing" because they close back up pretty tight, but the fact is that they do not heal. I would assume that Luffy's skin MUST heal in some fashion that is more similar to regular human skin than actual rubber (otherwise the whole concept of scars is just ridiculous for his character, and we know for a fact he has scars that he got after becoming rubber) realistic or not, its something that must be so or the whole idea of a rubber man falls apart (so to speak, lol)--it's more or less the same phenomenon as that of characters' clothing remaining unchanged when they use their fruit... but on this I cannot follow your logic. How is rubber skin superior to regular skin when it comes to sharp weapons?
    Honestly, I could try and come up with some ridiculous scientific substance to support my statement...But in the end I'd probably be wrong anyways .

    It can be assumed that natural skin is significantly more fragile than almost any rubber I know of. When it gets down to it though, we can throw logic out the window when it comes to One Piece. So in the end I may be completely dead wrong, but I still think rubber skin is harder to pierce.

    Ill use a real life example (which is pretty dumb since reality is thrown out the window).
    Say we have a screw driver that gets shoved into someones arm...It would take less force to pierce natural skin than rubber skin.

    And the whole sharpness thing is important, when it comes to things like katanas and actual weapons it doesn't really matter, I'm mostly talking about objects that may not be sharp enough to pierce rubber but are sharp enough to pierce normal skin. There's also the skill of the wielder to take into account, speed of strike, size of weapon, and all of the other stupid little details that Oda doesn't care about.

    In short...It can be assumed that it would be easier to pierce normal skin rather than rubber skin, but at the same time it doesn't really matter that much since this is the wonderful fictional world of One Piece :D
    Reading : Homunculus, Blade of the Immortal
    Watching : Beelzebub, Slam Dunk

  5. #4185
    Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Squawk

    Default Re: General 'Haki' Discussion

    Even if he is only as susceptible to sharp attacks as a normal human, it's still a "weakness",
    in that blunt attacks don't hurt him at all, while sharp attacks do.

  6. #4186

    Default Re: General 'Haki' Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by I survived the buster call View Post
    lol--I must have posted this edit as you were aswering the original post. Allow me to repost the pertinent section:

    Throughout the entire series, Luffy has remained ever leery of sharp weapons--most notably during the war when he envisioned his arm being cut off when he went up against Mihawk. Why, in the face of this, do you feel his skin is superior to regular skin? (In terms of sharp weapons)
    Luffy's skin isn't stronger than normal human flesh against sharp weapons. We've seen evidence of this countless times were fodder characters would random slice into Luffy, causing a splash of blood here and there. The only way Luffy's skin is more superior is against blunt attacks, objects and bullets, the elasticity slows downs bullets do they don't pierce his skin and then bounce back.

  7. #4187

    Default Re: General 'Haki' Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Pipio View Post
    Luffy's skin isn't stronger than normal human flesh against sharp weapons. We've seen evidence of this countless times were fodder characters would random slice into Luffy, causing a splash of blood here and there. The only way Luffy's skin is more superior is against blunt attacks, objects and bullets, the elasticity slows downs bullets do they don't pierce his skin and then bounce back.
    Unless the bullets are pointed like the ones Kreig was using.

    And with reference to people saying his skin is tougher due to it being rubber, the skin in all its entirety is a very elastic organ. So the "he's rubber and stretchy, therefor his skin is tougher" can't hold true because normal skin is also stretchy just not the drastic extent shown by Luffy's rubber powers.
    The Undeniable dream is the least expected dream

  8. #4188

    Default Re: General 'Haki' Discussion

    I think what he was originally trying to say was all humans have a weakness to sharp objects... Therefore Luffy doesn't really have a weakness to them. Luffy isn't really used to taking fodder damage that's why he is always afraid of piercing damage.

  9. #4189
    Discovered Stowaway Coruscation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sweden

    Default Re: General 'Haki' Discussion

    I'm mostly talking about objects that may not be sharp enough to pierce rubber but are sharp enough to pierce normal skin. There's also the skill of the wielder to take into account, speed of strike, size of weapon, and all of the other stupid little details that Oda doesn't care about.
    Nami pierced Luffy's skin with a needle in like chapter 30. I'm pretty sure that's about as weak a sharp attack as you get. There isn't any indication in the series at any point that Luffy is at all more resistance to slicing or piercing attacks than a normal human. If Oda meant for it to be so he would've conveyed it to us over the course of 670 chapters. Luffy takes piercing moves like a normal human.

  10. #4190

    Default Re: General 'Haki' Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Coruscation View Post
    Nami pierced Luffy's skin with a needle in like chapter 30. I'm pretty sure that's about as weak a sharp attack as you get. There isn't any indication in the series at any point that Luffy is at all more resistance to slicing or piercing attacks than a normal human. If Oda meant for it to be so he would've conveyed it to us over the course of 670 chapters. Luffy takes piercing moves like a normal human.
    The only time's i've seen Luffy have more resistance is in anime filler arc's haha. With that weird Eric guy and then when Luffy was vsing Zoro in the memory stealing arc.

    Btw I support you in that Luffy has no difference in resistance to piercing attacks due to his df powers.


    A question about Luffy's CoA:

    We have seen him name when he uses it for some attacks, but have we seen him name it when he has used it in a defensive manner? the only time i can remember him using it in defence other then when he got bit was to block a roundhouse kick by Hody. In reference to both times I don't remember him saying the "Armaments; hardening" thing he says when doing elephant gun etc.

    Oh and do people think he keeps up his CoA all the time like the "invisible armor" and then when he uses attacks e.g. elephant gun. he concentrates the CoA (if possible) into his fist in order for it to be even more effective?
    Last edited by YouDNewb; June 11th, 2012 at 06:37 AM.
    The Undeniable dream is the least expected dream

  11. #4191

    Default Re: General 'Haki' Discussion

    For what its worth, I don't think Luffy's skin is rubber, it just have the properties of rubber, if that makes sense.

  12. #4192

    Default Re: General 'Haki' Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Pipio View Post
    Luffy's skin isn't stronger than normal human flesh against sharp weapons. We've seen evidence of this countless times were fodder characters would random slice into Luffy, causing a splash of blood here and there. The only way Luffy's skin is more superior is against blunt attacks, objects and bullets, the elasticity slows downs bullets do they don't pierce his skin and then bounce back.
    I don't recall fodder ever slicing luffy. When did this happen?


    Quote Originally Posted by Coruscation View Post
    Nami pierced Luffy's skin with a needle in like chapter 30. I'm pretty sure that's about as weak a sharp attack as you get. There isn't any indication in the series at any point that Luffy is at all more resistance to slicing or piercing attacks than a normal human. If Oda meant for it to be so he would've conveyed it to us over the course of 670 chapters. Luffy takes piercing moves like a normal human.
    I'm pretty sure gag scenes don't really count. Nami has beaten luffy bloody whereas giants can barely scratch him. Luffy has taken cutting attacks that would cut through steel like butter.

  13. #4193
    Discovered Stowaway Coruscation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sweden

    Default Re: General 'Haki' Discussion

    That was back before Oda introduced the "Nami can hurt Luffy with punches" gag. If you remember, the whole reason she pricked him the needle was because she couldn't punch him. Really don't you think Oda would have let us know during all this time if Luffy had extra resistance to cutting force? Instead he keeps emphasizing that it's his "weakness". It just seems to me like a totally baseless idea that has no reason for being true and isn't implied anywhere in the manga.

  14. #4194

    Default Re: General 'Haki' Discussion

    Who on the crew besides the monster trio is most likely to have Haki?

    My guess: Nami?

  15. #4195

    Default Re: General 'Haki' Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Superbear 22 View Post
    Who on the crew besides the monster trio is most likely to have Haki?

    My guess: Nami?
    Luffy already said only him Sanji and Zoro had it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norisuke Higashikata IV
    "Your stand is like your asshole. You can't go around showing it off to other people."

  16. #4196

    Default Re: General 'Haki' Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by AlucarDraculA View Post
    Luffy already said only him Sanji and Zoro had it.
    I meant as the story progresses who will be the most likely to obtain Haki next.

  17. #4197
    Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Squawk

    Default Re: General 'Haki' Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Superbear 22 View Post
    I meant as the story progresses who will be the most likely to obtain Haki next.
    Realistically, it should be Robin, but it would be awesome if it were one of the "weaklings".

  18. #4198
    Hammer Claw Drake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Kansas City

    Default Re: General 'Haki' Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCrystalShip View Post
    Realistically, it should be Robin, but it would be awesome if it were one of the "weaklings".
    I would love for every crew member to have some sort of haki eventually.
    The only person I could see being fine without it, is Franky.
    Reading : Homunculus, Blade of the Immortal
    Watching : Beelzebub, Slam Dunk

  19. #4199

    Default Re: General 'Haki' Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Redx View Post
    Using Mihawk as an example isn't exactly a good thing to do. If you've forgotten, Mihawk is the world's greatest swordsman and can cut through anything. So the fact that Mihawk is able to cut luffy doesn't mean that luffy's skin is weak to sharp weapons. If you recall, luffy has also taken powerful cutting attacks head on like for example rankyaku and come out unfazed. He has also been hit dead on with powerful explosions and managed to get up again with minimal injuries.
    LOL--OK. I do not agree with your point about Mihawk, but in this case in doesn't matter--it's irrelevant to the argument. You can't actually prove your point by making my example seem as if its a bad one. You still have yet to prove that Luffy's skin has any sort of strength over that of ordinary skin when it comes to being sliced and diced by sharp objects. Rankyaku--interesting. I'll need some actual links to pages with specific examples, please. Last I checked that was how one proved something here on AP. And for the record, Explosions produce blunt force, to the best of my knowledge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Honestly, I could try and come up with some ridiculous scientific substance to support my statement...But in the end I'd probably be wrong anyways .

    It can be assumed that natural skin is significantly more fragile than almost any rubber I know of. When it gets down to it though, we can throw logic out the window when it comes to One Piece. So in the end I may be completely dead wrong, but I still think rubber skin is harder to pierce.

    Ill use a real life example (which is pretty dumb since reality is thrown out the window).
    Say we have a screw driver that gets shoved into someones arm...It would take less force to pierce natural skin than rubber skin.

    And the whole sharpness thing is important, when it comes to things like katanas and actual weapons it doesn't really matter, I'm mostly talking about objects that may not be sharp enough to pierce rubber but are sharp enough to pierce normal skin. There's also the skill of the wielder to take into account, speed of strike, size of weapon, and all of the other stupid little details that Oda doesn't care about.

    In short...It can be assumed that it would be easier to pierce normal skin rather than rubber skin, but at the same time it doesn't really matter that much since this is the wonderful fictional world of One Piece :D
    Thank you for your thoughtful and interesting analysis. I appreciate the time and effort you went to to write this, and I better understand your position, but I'm afraid I'm with Coruscation on this; to whit:

    Really don't you think Oda would have let us know during all this time if Luffy had extra resistance to cutting force? Instead he keeps emphasizing that it's his "weakness". It just seems to me like a totally baseless idea that has no reason for being true and isn't implied anywhere in the manga.
    I think Oda does make certain things very evident, and he has gone out of his way to point out that Luffy is leery of sharp objects--implying, one could, and many often do, argue that this points to an actual weakness on his part. In other words, I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree, I suppose.

  20. #4200
    Hammer Claw Drake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Kansas City

    Default Re: General 'Haki' Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by I survived the buster call View Post
    LOL--OK. I do not agree with your point about Mihawk, but in this case in doesn't matter--it's irrelevant to the argument. You can't actually prove your point by making my example seem as if its a bad one. You still have yet to prove that Luffy's skin has any sort of strength over that of ordinary skin when it comes to being sliced and diced by sharp objects. Rankyaku--interesting. I'll need some actual links to pages with specific examples, please. Last I checked that was how one proved something here on AP. And for the record, Explosions produce blunt force, to the best of my knowledge.


    Thank you for your thoughtful and interesting analysis. I appreciate the time and effort you went to to write this, and I better understand your position, but I'm afraid I'm with Coruscation on this; to whit:



    I think Oda does make certain things very evident, and he has gone out of his way to point out that Luffy is leery of sharp objects--implying, one could, and many often do, argue that this points to an actual weakness on his part. In other words, I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree, I suppose.
    Right on... You're guys' side holds WAY more substance too, mine was more of an assumption off the top of my head .
    I was more of just trying to say that there is a small grey area to take into account, and several different factors that could contribute to Luffy actually being pierced...Like how bullets should pierce Luffy (even if they are round), but they dont.

    All the technicalities aside, when it gets down to the nitty gritty as you guys said, sharp objects and Luffy just dont mix.
    Reading : Homunculus, Blade of the Immortal
    Watching : Beelzebub, Slam Dunk

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts