+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gaps in Straw Hats' histories

Default Gaps in Straw Hats' histories

Do you think that there will ever be more time spent developing the back stories of existing crew members? We get a basic story of their lives during their introduction arcs, but there's big gaps that could be filled in with some good revelations, leading to more character development.

For example, the whole thing about how Bellemere found Nami and Nojiko. Where was this battle? Will we ever meet Nami's real parents?

It seems like after they join permanently, the book seems to close on their past lives. But couldn't these sort of revelations inspire more character development beyond "well now i've overcome x fear and mastered the technique of x" (not that this sort of realization isn't good character development in some cases)?

Default Re: Gaps in Straw Hats' histories

Don't think there would be too much digging into the past, except for minor flashbacks or comments. Like Zoro's thinking how Tashigi looks just like Kuina. Backstories are only needed to let the readers know a character's personality, motivation etc. Once thats done, all that's important now would be how they realize their respective dreams. Yes, some parts of their backstories might and probably will come up. Especially Ohara and probably Clover and how much the scholars of Ohara found out that made WG issue a Buster Call. And, some elements of Luffy's childhood might come up. Beyond that, I don't see the need to delve too much into their pasts.

Scratchmax

IMO I think we'll find out which 'Kingdom' Brook served.I also think that we'll find out who Franky and Nami's parents were.Luffy will probably meet 'Dadan' and Usopp will meet Yasopp.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratchmax View Post
    IMO I think we'll find out which 'Kingdom' Brook served.I also think that we'll find out who Franky and Nami's parents were.Luffy will probably meet 'Dadan' and Usopp will meet Yasopp.
    Ahh, yes! I forgot about them. A father-son showdown. Although not a hostile one - more like Yasopp passing the torch to his son or showing him a trick or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratchmax View Post
    I'm pretty sure 'Dadan' is dragon(One Piece Wiki says that name is just a bad translation, but then again you can't fully trust a wiki), but I'm pretty sure Luffy will meet Dragon someday though.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Cool Re: Gaps in Straw Hats' histories

I'm only interested in Luffy's 10 years spent training to become a pirate(specifically to see Dadan and the part when Ace left the island).

Everybody else's gaps in their past are just potential plot devices/twists.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    I'm only interested in Luffy's 10 years spent training to become a pirate(specifically to see Dadan and the part when Ace left the island).
    I'm curious of that too...
    Box of Pocky: $2
    Gas for the trip: $34.86
    Materials for Making Costume(s): $116.92
    Going to countless panels, living in the Dealers room and stuffing your face with ramen: Priceless

Right now the character I'm most interested in is Sanji. Because we've got some very interesting tidbits about him:

1. He was born in North Blue, not East Blue. (see Jaya Arc)
    2. He was strictly raised to not harm women.

For Oda to give us these tidbits makes me think that he's got either another flashback or something similar in store for Sanji.

Quote Originally Posted by Captaingod View Post
    I'm pretty sure 'Dadan' is dragon(One Piece Wiki says that name is just a bad translation, but then again you can't fully trust a wiki), but I'm pretty sure Luffy will meet Dragon someday though.
    I don't think so. The Japanese specifically spells it "da-dan", and Dragon is spelled "do-ra-gon" which romanizes to "Dragon."

But yes, they will most certainly meet. Eventually.

Bellemere wasn't in any REAL battle. A bunch of pirates just raided a village and Bellemere barely survived. She found Nojiko holding onto a baby that she was not related to, who ended up being Nami.

Luffy's past is being kept secret on purpose. He's the main character. It's always been that way. Luke Skywalker being Darth Vader's son.

Spoiler:
    Cecil (FF4) being brothers with Golbez.

It's only a matter of time til' we find more out.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Cool Re: Gaps in Straw Hats' histories

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Right now the character I'm most interested in is Sanji. Because we've got some very interesting tidbits about him:

1. He was born in North Blue, not East Blue. (see Jaya Arc)
    2. He was strictly raised to not harm women.

For Oda to give us these tidbits makes me think that he's got either another flashback or something similar in store for Sanji.
    I was interested in Sanji's past seeing as what you stated that we know of him was given to us 100s of chaps ago........

I wanted to know about his parents and if he has an eye or if there's a story behind it.

But now I feel if his family is revealed, hinted to, or we get some type of foreshadowing about them it will just inflate the speculating of Luffy's mom and stuff of that ilk that goes nowhere because ppl like to back it up with "You don't know what will happen yet....."
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Keatsta View Post

For example, the whole thing about how Bellemere found Nami and Nojiko. Where was this battle? Will we ever meet Nami's real parents?

I'm pretty sure we won't. Because they're probably dead. But that story will come into play.
    I have this feeling Nami is much more important that she seems to be. I mean, she's not Nojiko's sister, we know that. But Nojiko saved her and protected her from a raging battle. Why ? Did she find a random baby somewhere and swore to protect it even if she was three years old or something ? Seems unlikely.

I think Nojiko was ASKED to save THIS baby because she was important. Like the last living offspring of an important and ancient family (that exemple sounds lame, but it is just an exemple).

This war in which Belmer fought was a war involving Marines and what ? Pirates ? On plain ground ? I don't think so, Tim. So the next best guess is...Dragon.

I think it would be cool if there were more to Dragon's backstory than this whole Luffy's father thing. If Dragon was the one responsible for Nami's parents death, things could get very interesting.

Anyway, it's just a wild guess.

If anyone should have their past story added, it should be brook. I would love to know why he became a pirate considering he was once a soldier.

For the others.. it's already grusome enough. No need to dig in further.

*Raises glass*

Here's to Oda further fleshing out his main characters' pasts through subtle hints that fit well within the story. Wouldn't want too much exposition to ruin the mystery!

Actually, I'm really curious about Zoro's and Sanji's parents, and what Brook looked like as a child. Does anyone here think that Oda will make a mega Colorwalk or ultimate SBS when One Piece is finished that will answer our nagging questions?
    Last edited by Kryptoncat; September 27th, 2008 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Typos that would make grown men scream in terror and the brave at heart cower as if Fear itself was looming over their souls.

I want to see more about zoro before he joins luffy. I dont think so that exist some plot unrevealed about him but it would be nice see him like a kid again.
    LFC

i don`t think that their will be so much more of the SH past...i mean look all pasts are in a way more than sad...that`s what they all have together...so now they all are together and share their specific dreams and they want to reach every1s goal together...
    we don`t need so much more past infos (which all could be told by the charas without needing a flashback orso)cause the whole thing was that they overcome their pasts and now began a new life and leaving there sad pasts behind them...
    and you don`t need just more flashbacks of a chara to give him more depth...why not giving a chara more depth in the original storyline...i think they should develop cause they`re now together on the journey cause the last arcs for each chara gave us clear which background they had..
    now oda should plant a seam(more chara-development in the storyline) in the soil\ground(their pasts and so the fundament of each chara)...
    The epic battle of BusterCall vs. Don is decided !!!
    And the results are 3:2 for Don..

A Great King, somewhere! Captain Brooke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Insider2000 View Post
    Bellemere wasn't in any REAL battle. A bunch of pirates just raided a village and Bellemere barely survived. She found Nojiko holding onto a baby that she was not related to, who ended up being Nami.

Luffy's past is being kept secret on purpose. He's the main character. It's always been that way. Luke Skywalker being Darth Vader's son.

Spoiler:
    Cecil (FF4) being brothers with Golbez.

It's only a matter of time til' we find more out.
    Agrees with this!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information