View Poll Results: Are you satisfied with the latest OP eps (animation & art wise)

Voters
860. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't see any problem with them, so, yes I am

314 36.51%
  • hmmm..maybe

228 26.51%
  • No!

318 36.98%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 271 of 271 FirstFirst ... 171 221 261 269 270 271
Results 5,401 to 5,412 of 5412

Thread: A Study of One Piece Animation

Default Re: A Study of One Piece Animation

Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    Honestly, I think the only upcoming scene we can call being handled by X animator accurately is Tomita drawing
    Spoiler:
    Nami and Carrot's bath scene
    On Onishi, I have to say that my favorite piece by him I've seen is the battle between Z and Kizaru. By itself it's incredible, but it's also so far beyond anything else I've seen from him before or since, on One Piece or otherwise. In fact, I would go so far as to say that that sequence can stand shoulder-to-shoulder with Yutaka Nakamura.
    Shida is probably doing

Spoiler:
    Luffy blowing Cracker into the wholecake chateau

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    I loved it! nice job, onishi is such an excellent animator
    I kinda hope to see him doing
    Spoiler:
    sanji vs luffy

Do you think thats a realistic expectation?
    Well, Tiger Mask is ending soon. It is possible, I will keep my fingers crossed. I expect Shida or Ito for that scene.

Ep 309 was too good for me Ocelot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XMURADX View Post
    Well, Tiger Mask is ending soon. It is possible, I will keep my fingers crossed. I expect Shida or Ito for that scene.
    Tbh I wouldn't really want Shida for that scene.. his really fluid style is really cool and hes one of my favorite animators, but for such a serious moment it just won't work imo..
    Just imagine episode 405 with Shida animating everything. Would be kinda off, although I may be wrong. Never actually seen him do an emotionally serious scene

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    Tbh I wouldn't really want Shida for that scene.. his really fluid style is really cool and hes one of my favorite animators, but for such a serious moment it just won't work imo..
    Just imagine episode 405 with Shida animating everything. Would be kinda off, although I may be wrong. Never actually seen him do an emotionally serious scene
    I agree. Shida isn't very good at action sequences. He rocks at explosions and elemental effects such as water or fire, but I always felt his style was too flashy for One Piece.

Spoiler:
    Well, the problem with Shida doing a sad scene is that his style will immediately break our immersion. It's cool when it's an action scene, because when a fight animation is super different we get excited, but when it's a heartbreaking scene comes, we need a balanced animation and direction that gets us immersed.
    If you want to see how Shida animates people crying, try searching for Romance Dawn 3DS intro, his style still complements the song, and doesn't stand out for being weird or anything. But the situation demands for someone else, because if we want his style to not stand out we need him to animate the whole episode, or only get people with detailed style, which is practically not possible.

I completely agree. Dynamic off-model wavy looped animation with increased frames and no sense of weight. It's just like you said, it completely breaks the immersion. The animation in One Piece is generally quite slow, then he cranks it up to 400% and it doesn't feel right.

It looks flashy and unique but his sense of weight, timing and shape is completely off.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by dropper View Post
    It looks flashy and unique but his sense of weight, timing and shape is completely off.
    Animating on 1s does not equal bad timing, his timing is in no way bad, we're just used to seeing him animating fast action where characters get back up as soon as the attack connects instead of finisher attacks where a character is punching the other really hard to knock him out. The Sai vs Lao G cuts he did showed impact pretty well (he also likes to use impact frames), his rough/rushed work on episode 725 showed what people think of as proper timing.
    I'm sorry I just had to talk about it since this misconception gets on my nerves.

Quote Originally Posted by Brainyz View Post
    Animating on 1s does not equal bad timing, his timing is in no way bad, we're just used to seeing him animating fast action where characters get back up as soon as the attack connects instead of finisher attacks where a character is punching the other really hard to knock him out. The Sai vs Lao G cuts he did showed impact pretty well (he also likes to use impact frames), his rough/rushed work on episode 725 showed what people think of as proper timing.
    I'm sorry I just had to talk about it since this misconception gets on my nerves.
    No matter how much impact is used the characters still just appear weightless and floaty (wobble wobble, slow down, wobble wobble), there are plenty of scenes I love of Shida when used right, Sai vs Lao G felt like a waste because they were kinda secondary characters. Best scene by far, Kizaru vs Rayleigh.

Specifically what's really irritating about Shida are specific parts that just don't slow down or start looping for no good reason, like Luffy's whole freaking head when he says Fourth https://youtu.be/wr4jBeGD3Ew?t=1m21s

Ep 309 was too good for me Ocelot's Avatar

By the way, what song did you use for the Zou Sakuga video?

Sabaody Sakuga MAD.

The good days with Tate and Onishi.
    Why did Naoki Tate stop doing OP?
    IGN:TheBro 2191-7733-9582. Normal (Dunsparce, Teddiursa, Eevee)
    OPTC (JPN) FC: 223.189.439

Quote Originally Posted by BroBro View Post
    Why did Naoki Tate stop doing OP?
    Tate Naoki's tenure with One Piece peaked with Movie #9, where he was the character designer and animation supervisor. After that, it was decided that Satou Masayuki would be in charge of Movie #10, which had heavy involvement from the Original Comic Creator Oda Ei'ichirou. Oda has gone on record stating that Satou draws the closest to his style and with Strong World being such a big financial success it was decided to keep that formula going for the next two hand drawn films. Tate Naoki, of course, doesn't draw like Oda (he draws a hell of a lot better, but that's a talk for another time). Tate can't go any higher on One Piece, so he probably decided to leave for that very reason. Now he pokes around various other Toei Animation titles, mostly Dragon Ball Super, but will provide animation for important cuts where needed.
    "I always think that true geniuses are those who excrete their ideas and creations literally like shit, then flush them and never care." -- A fan on Toriyama Akira

Quote Originally Posted by Yuugi's Black Magician View Post
    Tate Naoki's tenure with One Piece peaked with Movie #9, where he was the character designer and animation supervisor. After that, it was decided that Satou Masayuki would be in charge of Movie #10, which had heavy involvement from the Original Comic Creator Oda Ei'ichirou. Oda has gone on record stating that Satou draws the closest to his style and with Strong World being such a big financial success it was decided to keep that formula going for the next two hand drawn films. Tate Naoki, of course, doesn't draw like Oda (he draws a hell of a lot better, but that's a talk for another time). Tate can't go any higher on One Piece, so he probably decided to leave for that very reason. Now he pokes around various other Toei Animation titles, mostly Dragon Ball Super, but will provide animation for important cuts where needed.
    Actually I always personally felt Tate's drawing style was a LOT closer to Oda's along with Inoue's style. When they first started on the show their styles were very similar until Tate's animation style became more prevalent after Skypiea. But overall they both lacked the "roundness" of Koizumi's designs for a more sharper and fluid look that seemed to actually enhance the original manga designs.

The thing is I felt the new Movie 10 standard took the foundation that Inoue, Tate and Hisada had laid and gave it a big budget flourish that the TV anime has grown to emulate since then.
    Check out my artwork and my musings here:
    http://o-chan30.blogspot.com/
    http://ochan28.deviantart.com/

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information