View Poll Results: Are you satisfied with the latest OP eps (animation & art wise)

Voters
862. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't see any problem with them, so, yes I am

315 36.54%
  • hmmm..maybe

228 26.45%
  • No!

319 37.01%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 277 of 277 FirstFirst ... 177 227 267 275 276 277
Results 5,521 to 5,538 of 5538

Thread: A Study of One Piece Animation

Default Re: A Study of One Piece Animation

Quote Originally Posted by Yuugi's Black Magician View Post
    Late-night anime are shorter and typically easier to acquire good staff for.
    Interesting, but why is that exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Jakisuaki View Post
    Interesting, but why is that exactly?
    Long-running series like One Piece are simply weekly filler and commercials for the lowest common denominator. The quantity of episodes that need to be made make it unfeasible to maintain the quality of a late-night anime, unless you have the luck of allowing for your production to finish over a dozen episodes before starting broadcast. Late-night anime are for Otaku, who have higher production standards and typically follow shorter series in general. Since most studios only produce two or three series a year producers don't have to squabble over their regular talent contacts and can pour more of their efforts into a single series, as well.

Tiger Mask W is a rare case where a Toei Animation producer (Gyarmath Bogdan) was seemingly able to not only begin his series with not only a healthy lead time, but also recruit numerous good animators and directors to continually work on the series. The Kamatani Haruka storyboarded episodes are the series' best, especially when she is teamed up with Watanabe Koudai as her animation supervisor.
    "I always think that true geniuses are those who excrete their ideas and creations literally like shit, then flush them and never care." -- A fan on Toriyama Akira

Honestly, an animation director's most important job is to keep the characters' arts on model, and the animation in an episode is basicliy based on the key animators who work for the episode.

So, why should we be worried for the following episodes just because that we have Takagi and Deguchi? #616, the legendary episode, was an Takagi episode. The animation in #737 was also very good but it's a Deguchi episode.

Then will we get enough good key animators in Takagi and Deguchi's episodes? Honestly I don't know, because there's a summer special and specials always take many good directors and animators away.

For example, we would have an Isouchi episode in July according to the route for directors, but we don't have it because that Guts (the company that Isouchi belongs to) is working on the SP.

But why do they have to produce specials? It's because that Fuji TV is stupid. Just like what @conan_e said days ago:

Toei is a part of the ownership tho. but yeah, it can be the other owners (FujiTV and Shuisha) who push for it.

Specials used to have really high rating, and if somebody watch the live streaming of special, he/she will be annoyed by the amount of commercial breaks and the most company is profited from this is FujiTV+ the Ad agency. and specials are not that big projects like movies (no huge variety of special merch, no special events, etc), so the revenue outside the rating are probably low, so it's likely that fujiTV is the one who request specials to be done.

16/07 797 「大幹部!三将星クラッカー登場」
    A Top Executive ! One of the Three Generals ‘Cracker’ Appears

23/07 798 「8億の敵 ルフィVS千手のクラッカー」
    An Enemy with 800 Million Bounty - Luffy vs. Thousand Arms Cracker

30/07 799 「全力勝負 ギア 4VSビスビスの能力」
    Full Force Showdown - Gear 4 vs. Biscuit-Biscuit Ability

06/08 800 「1と2 集結!ヴィンスモーク家」
    1 and 2 - Assemble ! The Vinsmoke Family

---

i'm surprised there still isn't any break announced during the summer, they usually put one on mid-summer.

One Piece Concept - French Fansubbing
    http://onepiececoncept.free.fr - #OP-Concept@irc.fansub-irc.eu

Quote Originally Posted by Yuugi's Black Magician View Post
    Long-running series like One Piece are simply weekly filler and commercials for the lowest common denominator. The quantity of episodes that need to be made make it unfeasible to maintain the quality of a late-night anime, unless you have the luck of allowing for your production to finish over a dozen episodes before starting broadcast. Late-night anime are for Otaku, who have higher production standards and typically follow shorter series in general. Since most studios only produce two or three series a year producers don't have to squabble over their regular talent contacts and can pour more of their efforts into a single series, as well.

Tiger Mask W is a rare case where a Toei Animation producer (Gyarmath Bogdan) was seemingly able to not only begin his series with not only a healthy lead time, but also recruit numerous good animators and directors to continually work on the series. The Kamatani Haruka storyboarded episodes are the series' best, especially when she is teamed up with Watanabe Koudai as her animation supervisor.
    Kagawa is the one who credited by his fellows in the studio for putting his weight there and pulling these talents, also haveing his old Senpai Hayama helped perhaps in attracting more talents

[QUOTE=Jakisuaki;3800721]Honestly, is there anyone left to lose faith in the anime at this point? It feels like most of the western audience has dropped it.

I think its good to remember that even though the anime lacks a consistent quality there are lots of people that just like to watch anime and don't read manga at all. I feel like this is reflected in the fact One Piece is constantly in the top 3 on Crunchyroll. It is easy to get caught in echo chamber of this forum and One Piece reddit and how we analyse One Piece in all its aspects but its important to remember there are lots of fans, lots of kids that watch the episode every sat/sun and that's it. Maybe they leave a comment under the video about how awesome luffy is and then move on to whatever anime they're watching next.

[QUOTE=AroNoah;3800840]
    Honestly, is there anyone left to lose faith in the anime at this point? It feels like most of the western audience has dropped it.

I think its good to remember that even though the anime lacks a consistent quality there are lots of people that just like to watch anime and don't read manga at all. I feel like this is reflected in the fact One Piece is constantly in the top 3 on Crunchyroll. It is easy to get caught in echo chamber of this forum and One Piece reddit and how we analyse One Piece in all its aspects but its important to remember there are lots of fans, lots of kids that watch the episode every sat/sun and that's it. Maybe they leave a comment under the video about how awesome luffy is and then move on to whatever anime they're watching next.
    Honestly. I think the fact that we get palatable episodes at all ,like the current ones says a lot. I really do think the staff cares for one piece,but can only do so much to fight against the corporate politics.

On the subject for those that only watch anime and don't bother with original source material. I think that says plenty too. Considering the fact that they may (or rather,DO) watch anime with far more lavish budget,animation,direction and directors, (what was my point again,OH RIGHT!) they still tune in for one piece every week. It really does speak volumes for the brand,they are doing something right.

[QUOTE=ARC-1300;3800883]
    Quote Originally Posted by AroNoah View Post

Honestly. I think the fact that we get palatable episodes at all ,like the current ones says a lot. I really do think the staff cares for one piece,but can only do so much to fight against the corporate politics.

On the subject for those that only watch anime and don't bother with original source material. I think that says plenty too. Considering the fact that they may (or rather,DO) watch anime with far more lavish budget,animation,direction and directors, (what was my point again,OH RIGHT!) they still tune in for one piece every week. It really does speak volumes for the brand,they are doing something right.
    Couldn't agree with you more.

[QUOTE=ARC-1300;3800883]
    Quote Originally Posted by AroNoah View Post

This perspective that the workers are the GOOD and the "Corporate Politics" is the EVIL I totally don't agree with, and in fact to me it seems rather silly. It just brings an alienations of reality.

I've already asked this before (got no answer ) but since Kenji Yokoyama will storyboard the Luffy vs Cracker fight episode, I'm curious to know if he's good at storyboarding episodes. I've read that this could have an impact on the quality of an episode and in which way btw?

I'm not sure But i think yokoyama is bad when it come to storyboard
    i remember that he has worked on one of the episodes in punk hazard : episode 610 especially There was scene '( vergo vs smoker ) and The AD : Nakatani (she is good animator) but Fighting was bad so lets hope some special KA in ths episode like : tomita or shida
    sorry my enlgish is bad ^_^

Discovered Stowaway ScotchInformer's Avatar

Some from Episode 797:

Spoiler:

If I'm not mistaken, the second gatling gun and jet stamp in this scene have been animated by Keiichi Ichikawa, haven't they? (starting from 2:23)

Carcharodon Piledriver Crossword's Avatar

Well, it's a little hard to say. While a couple parts definitely look like Ichikawa (Carrot flashing her psycho face being one of them) others, like the shots of Luffy after he lands back on the bow and Brook when he has his hand on his sword, look like Ito, who was the animation director for that episode, and Ito's adopted Ichikawa's main quirk of bold line shading, so it can be tricky to differentiate the two sometimes. Ichikawa's frequent corrections this arc has caused me a little bit of trouble when I've been working on my animation director comparison chart, actually.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Ep 309 was too good for me Ocelot's Avatar

Decided to mess around and 'fix' a one piece scene.
    https://youtu.be/HW8RVCjBx-c?t=2m8s
    This one.

I messed around with it on flash and decided to make it look way better using a smear frame and camera shake.
    It would be really easy for toei to pull this off every combat scene they wanted to.
    Sadly though, flash is acting up real bad and I can't export the video.
    The only way for you guys to view it is to register for a trial version of Adobe Animate CC and open the file. Ofc you can just delete the program later.
    Yes it's kind of a hassle, but if you guys are interested in seeing my edit here you go.
    https://www.mediafire.com/?0uan204p7qteuwx

If you've downloaded Adobe Animate CC, all you have to do now is click File > Open and look for the file. Once you open it, make sure this button on the top right corner is pressed(it is highlighted):
    http://prntscr.com/fwcxqw

Then all you have to do is press enter!
    It might get kinda laggy at the point of impact because I have used alot of blur and a shiny effect to smear sanjis leg, if it does get laggy and stuck you can try playing the video AT the point of impact and it will go way smoother, although it will lose a bit of anticipation. For some reason, it also gets much much smoother if I just leave the program open for like 2 minutes and play with it(just replaying and pausing random things). I guess its loading stuff or something?
    Sadly I can't export it normally so u guys can view it comfortably, so, sorry about that..
    But hey, maybe you'll like the program anyway. Nothing would hurt having a 30 day trial of Adobe Animate amirite? xD
    Last edited by Ocelot; July 16th, 2017 at 08:16 AM.

Ep 309 was too good for me Ocelot's Avatar

Sorry for the double post, but does anybody have any idea who made this cut?
    https://youtu.be/zZoY88JUL4s?t=45s

So I've been meaning to ask,

Episode #616, we all know and love it, but why exactly is it the that production quality of this episode was so high? What things came together just right to have the budget, staff, scheduling to be able to produce such an episode, and why can't it happen more often?

So I've been meaning to ask,

Episode #616, we all know and love it, but why exactly is it the that production quality of this episode was so high? What things came together just right to have the budget, staff, scheduling to be able to produce such an episode, and why can't it happen more often?
    This has happened several time before and after this particular episode. Now I'm not going to sit here and list EVERY instance of this but One Piece is a weekly series with a regular animator and director rotation. There's been a least a few above average episodes each arc where the "right" director, the "right" AD and the "right" KA's were used and then fans clamor about why this can't be the whole show.

It's been established that:
    1. Toei has a LOT of freelancers working for them and they tend to rotate from project to project
    2. Toei tends to saturate it's resources for consistent animation because they usually have at least 6 anime project happening at the same time.
    3. Once a "favorite" One Piece director starts to get really good with their work they tend to either "graduate" from Toei productions and/or used sparingly.
    4. Because One Piece is a weekly show with few breaks it does the best job it can to keep the animation consistent. Keep in mind it has also been rotating their main directors since the end of Water Seven and that really affects the overall "look" and "feel" of the show.
    5. Also the movies and specials tend to use a lot of the more experienced staff.
    Check out my artwork and my musings here:
    http://o-chan30.blogspot.com/
    http://ochan28.deviantart.com/

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information