View Poll Results: Are you satisfied with the latest OP eps (animation & art wise)

Voters
868. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't see any problem with them, so, yes I am

317 36.52%
  • hmmm..maybe

231 26.61%
  • No!

320 36.87%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 284 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: A Study of One Piece Animation

Talking A Study of One Piece Animation

Based off of what was discussed here:
    http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=19872&page=2

I thought it was a good idea to start a actual thread on the manner. The main reason is because there are many times in the show where a piece or sequence will either really stick out or be not quite effective based off who is animating it. I was also thinking this thread can be a way to track all the the different animation style throughout the coarse of the show since a certain OTHER forum for a certain OTHER show is doing this.

To get things rolling here are the animation directors that have been identified so far (by Crossword):

Eisaku Inoue: He's the head animator. Out of all the directors, he comes the closest to Oda's style. Things to look out for are detailed shading, well-endowed women, Zoro having puny thin arms, and genral awesome action. Some of his stuff: episodes 2, 119, 126, 312, 336, 367, Movies 2,7,8.

Katsumi Ishizuka: His work can be spotted from a mile away by the characters' really thick nose shadows. His episodes are usually very sharp, and detailed, with A-grade action sequences. Some of his stuff: episodes 290, 298, 309, 353.

Naoki Tate: Art style is radically different from the others, as it's similar to Movie 6, though not quite as refined. Expect expressive character designs, fluid action sequences, and generally very solid episodes. Some of his stuff: episodes 233, 289, 304, 311, 369, Movie 9.

Kazuya Hisada: His art style is similar to Ishizuka's, right down to the thick nose shadows. His art generally tends to fluctuate between good and fair, and he's prone to having odd looking faces when displaying them at an angle. Some of his stuff: ALL the openings since at least Kokoro no Chizu; same with the endings, as well as all of the new eyecatches, episodes 338, 348, 356, 366.
    and then some other ones:

Something to add about Kazuya Hisada is that he did the animation direction for the very first episode.

Hisada and Inoue have both been around since the very beginning. Tate joined during Alabasta but didn't start evolving his own style until later on. Ishizuka joined around Water 7.

and

Movies 3 and 4 (and 5) were done by Noboru Koizumi actually..he's MIA since 295, which is sad, the man delivered some great episodes in the past. My personal guess is that maybe he's working on movie 10.

and here are the ones listed on ANN:

Eisaku Inoue (2, 9, 14, 19, 26, 33, 41, 48, 72, 79, 86, 93, 99, 104, 110, 119, 126, 168, 175, 220, 237, 244, 284, 312, 325, 336, 357, 367, Movies 2,7,8)
    Hideaki Maniwa (37, 45, 53, 60, 67, 74, 81, 88, 95, 102, 108, 117, 125, 135, 140, 146, 152, 158, 166, 193, 199, 205, 211, 218, Possibly ED 7, 9, 10, 11, 14)
    Katsumi Ishizuka (290, 298, 309, 353)
    Kazuo Takigawa
    Kazuya Hisada (1, 7, 22, 29, 36, 43, 51, 56, 63, 70, 77, 84, 91, 97, 113, 120, 129, 136, 142, 148, 154, 161, 170, 177, 183, 189, 200, 208, 215, 224, 227, 232, 240, 243, 248, 253, 258, 261, 268, 274, 285, 291, 297, 303 (w. Shinichi Suzuki), 310, 321, 328, 338, 348, 356, 366, Movie 1, Possibly ED 15)
    Kazuyuki Ikai
    Kenji Yokoyama (3, 8, 13, 20, 305, 327, 350, 354, 368)
    Kiyoshi Matsushita
    Kouji Sugimoto
    Masahiro Shimanuki
    Masayuki Fujita (330, 339, 358, 365, 372)
    Masayuki Takagi (4, 10, 15, 21)
    Naoki Murakami
    Naoki Tate (105 (w. Masahiro Shimanuki), 112 (w. Masahiro Shimanuki), 135, 141, 147, 153, 160, 174, 181, 190, 197, 206, 212, 219, 225, 228, 233, 239, 249, 254, 261 (Zoro vs. T-Bone sequence), 265 (towards end), 271, 277-278 (w. Takeo Ide), 289, 292, 304, 309 (w. Katsumi Ishizuka), 311, 319, 326 (w. Naoki Murakami), 361, 369, Movie 9)
    Naoyoshi Yamamuro (18)
    Natsuko Makiyo
    Noboru Koizumi (16, 23, 30, TV Special 1, 78, 85, 92, 114, 128, 162, 171, 196, 202, 214, 259, 266, 275, 281, 295, Movies 3, 4, 5, Possibly Openings 1-5, ED 1-5, 8, 12, 13)
    Shinichi Suzuki
    Takanori Shimura
    Takayuki Shimura
    Takeo Ide (6, 12, 25, 236, 264, 288, 337, 373)
    Yukari Kobayashi (302)
    Yuki Kinoshita
    Yuuji Hakamada (5, 11, 17, 24)
    Yuuji Kondou

What I was planning to do was go through my One Piece Funimation DVDs and see who did the animation episode by episode and get a list of who worked on what so if anyone wants to add to this list feel free.

Now as far as the discussion part goes feel free to talk about your feelings on the changes of the animation over the course of the series and which episodes you felt the animators work was really strong or really weak.

I, personally, liked the animation style in Episode 67 "Deliver Princess Vivi! Luffy Pirate Fleet Sets Sail" which the animation, and coloring really made the episode stick out. I'm not sure who was the animation director for the episode but he did an above average job. The other episode where the animation really was done well was Episode 312 "Thank You, Merry! The Snow on the Sea of Farewells" where the animation not only mimicked Oda's style perfectly (thanks to Eisaku Inoue) but the music selection was excellent too.

Most of the animation in the early episodes (1-195) were really well choreographed and the layout of many sequences made up for the simplistic style of animation. Around the Skypeia saga I felt that the animation style was beginning to have a lot of bad art day moments (which tends to happen with long running series) but it still held up. Now the new animation style which is closer to the early movies (196-336) had better coloring and a brighter palette but many have felt the animation has faltered compared to the earlier episodes. I too felt the animation lost "somethng" that it had in the old style but there are several key episodes that made me realize that the new style still was able to preserve and enhance the manga style. I also feel the animation style evolved again once we hit Thriller Bark (337-current). While it is true that the majority of the art takes place in nightime settings hence the darker color palette the characters seem better drawn and several sequences (especially in the OZ fight) have a cinematic flair to them. I hope this style carries over into the next few arcs.

Okay so those are my initial thoughts. I'll add more to this as I study the animation more so please feel free to add your own input.

O-chan
    Last edited by o-chan; November 14th, 2008 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Added Animator Information

Carcharodon Piledriver Crossword's Avatar

Default Re: A Study of One Piece Animation

Some more of my commentary, you can edit these in to the first post if you want:

Masayuki Fujita: What I find the most noticeable about his style is how he draws Nami and Robin. Nami's face and eyes are a bit more curved, rather than round. The result is that she looks a lot more ''anime-ish'', if you will. Robin's eyes are drawn slightly larger than usual, making her look noticeably younger. His art is generally okay, though I do remember a particularly ugly episode at the beginning of Thriller Bark that only Robin came through unscathed. His action scenes are average, but his most recent work, Nightmare Luffy vs. Odz, was above and beyond any of his previous work this arc. Some of his stuff: episodes 330, 339, 358, 365, 372. He may be a new addition to the show, because I don't see any episodes listed by him before 330.

Kenji Yokoyama: This fellow definitely belongs to the lower tier. His character designs are rather flat, with very thin lines. He seems to usually give Zoro a very wide forehead. When his characters are viewed from the side, they often have rather prominent jaws. His action scenes aren't that impressive. Some of his stuff: episodes 305, 327, 350, 354, 368.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Damn, that's a lot of work. I really hope to see people expand on this, I would love to learn more about the animators and their influence on the show. Sorry I can't help.

Quote Originally Posted by o-chan View Post
    I, personally, liked the animation style in Episode 67 "Deliver Princess Vivi! Luffy Pirate Fleet Sets Sail" which the animation, and coloring really made the episode stick out. I'm not sure who was the animation director for the episode but he did an above average job.
    That was Hideaki Maniwa. His last work was episode 218 though, it's more than likely that he left the series.

The active directors these days just seem to be Inoue, Tate, Hisada, Ide, Fujita, Murakami, Takagi, Yokoyama, and Ishizuka. Occasionally there's a one-off person, like Yukari Kobayashi, who worked on 302, and there's someone else named Rice Sachi-something, who did 306 and 318. Sometimes two directors work on the same episode. An example I can think of off the top of my head is during Zoro's clash with T-bone, which looked like Tate's work, and not whoever did the rest of that episode.

After looking at the master list crossbones has on KF, I can confirm that 330 was Fujita's first episode, making him the newbie of the group.

i don't really have too much to add.. other than I feel the same way with the current episodes. My favorite animators are probably Ishizuka, Hisada, and of course, Inoue.

But I really liked reading your post O-chan.. very cool information

Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    The active directors these days just seem to be Inoue, Tate, Hisada, Ide, Fujita, Murakami, Takagi, Yokoyama, and Ishizuka. Occasionally there's a one-off person, like Yukari Kobayashi, who worked on 302
    302 was probably the worst episode ever, no wonder that person vanished.
    Ishizuka is MIA since 353, hopefully he'll return in the upcoming climax episodes.

Btw o-chan, you could add to the list some of Takeo Ide works, with last sunday's episode the man has a pretty respectable resume now:
    236 (Luffy vs Usopp), 264 (arrival on EL), 288 (Franky vs Fukurou part I), 337 (Brooke's introduction) and 373.

Wow, lots of work. :\

The only art that stands out to me is when Luffy, Nami, Sanji, and others have the EXACT same face. :\

will
    Last edited by Kitsune Inferno; July 14th, 2011 at 12:52 AM.

This is really interesting. I actually want to compare their art.

I often have times where the art bothers me.

Like during the burning of Merry, everyone looked weird to me. Kind of fugly. Namely Sanji and Zoro. Luffy looked awesome though. Maybe it's just me.

Formerly Vegard Aune Lord Starfish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Insider2000 View Post
    This is really interesting. I actually want to compare their art.

I often have times where the art bothers me.

Like during the burning of Merry, everyone looked weird to me. Kind of fugly. Namely Sanji and Zoro. Luffy looked awesome though. Maybe it's just me.
    Well, I thought the art in that episode was among the best in the entire series...
    Yibis One Piece Fansubs
    http://yibis.com - #yibis@irc.rizon.net

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer Luffy Batter's Avatar

Especially the boob sizes

That's the thing with Inoue's art. It's pretty much a 1:1 transfer of Oda's art to animation. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I remember watching the last episode of G8 and just shaking my head at how Zoro looked towards the end. Puny arms, his fingers looked weird, and his face...

312 was a 1:1 case where it worked, and it's undeniable that that was the best episode in the series. Practically movie quality.

I disagree with the analysis of Inoue. Sure the art is detailed and exhibits more technical drawing skill than some of the others, but it's hardly what I'd call accurate to Oda's style. It's much more rounded and the facial proportions and to some extent the bodily proportions (looking at you Nami and Robin...) are off model. I could see that he really tried to keep it close in the earlier episodes like 119 which I thought was great, but more recently it's quite clear that he's taken a more distinct direction.

If anything, Tate is closest to Oda's style despite a somewhat looser approach. The fluid animation style also helps to get across Oda's exaggerated perspective and whatnot.
    Last edited by shinpanman; October 8th, 2008 at 11:02 AM.

Hey guys I just went through the first 26 episodes on the Funimation sets and figured out the episode directors work so I edited my post to reflect that. I'll reply later with my individual thoughts.

O-chan

Wow, I'm actually surprised that we still have so many directors still around from the East Blue days...

Ulargara

Is it me or that most of Odz's fight consists of Odz doing 'time-freezing-attacks' and there are much 'lag-time' in delivering the next attack.( Where the background are colours) I preferred the battle animation for the EL arc where the attacks arent 'time-freezing', and they are carried out in normal time, with much of the attacking sequence carried out normally.

Its kind of really hard to explain this one.
    Tick tick tick

Quote Originally Posted by shinpanman View Post
    I disagree with the analysis of Inoue. Sure the art is detailed and exhibits more technical drawing skill than some of the others, but it's hardly what I'd call accurate to Oda's style. It's much more rounded and the facial proportions and to some extent the bodily proportions (looking at you Nami and Robin...) are off model. I could see that he really tried to keep it close in the earlier episodes like 119 which I thought was great, but more recently it's quite clear that he's taken a more distinct direction.

If anything, Tate is closest to Oda's style despite a somewhat looser approach. The fluid animation style also helps to get across Oda's exaggerated perspective and whatnot.
    Open the manga chapter of Merry's funeral and episode 312...If you find a difference, then come talk to me!
    That episode was a carbon copy from the manga....I'm excluding the flashbacks!

I believe that:
    (A) List
    1-Eisaku Inoue
    2-Naoki Tate
    3-Katsumi Ishizuka (MIA...Working on the 10th Movie?)
    4-Noboru Koizumi (MIA...Working on the 10th Movie?)
    ---------------------------
    (B+) List
    1-Kazuya Hisada
    2-Takeo Ide
    (B-) List
    1-Kenji Yokoyama
    2-Masayuki Takagi
    (C) List
    1-Masayuki Fujita
    2-Masahiro Shimanuki
    (D) List
    1-Naoki Murakami
    2-Rice Sachi (MIA)

Quote Originally Posted by 123 View Post
    Is it me or that most of Odz's fight consists of Odz doing 'time-freezing-attacks' and there are much 'lag-time' in delivering the next attack.( Where the background are colours) I preferred the battle animation for the EL arc where the attacks arent 'time-freezing', and they are carried out in normal time, with much of the attacking sequence carried out normally.

Its kind of really hard to explain this one.
    Slow motion attacks...I love them, if done well!

e.g.) Episode 369 were Oz tries to punch Usopp...And Punch was coming slowly yet had a strong impact!
    Last edited by XMURADX; October 9th, 2008 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XMURADX View Post
    Open the manga chapter of Merry's funeral and episode 312...If you find a difference, then come talk to me!
    That episode was a carbon copy from the manga
    Indeed it was. If Zoro and Sanji look "fugly", blame Oda. Art was simply dead on.

Inoue is probably the only animation director to follow Oda's style all the time, instead of the anime typical character design by Noboru Koizumi.
    Sure they have others with a distinct style like Naoki Tate, but most of them tries to follow Koizumi.

Quote Originally Posted by goty View Post
    Indeed it was. If Zoro and Sanji look "fugly", blame Oda. Art was simply dead on.

Inoue is probably the only animation director to follow Oda's style all the time, instead of the anime typical character design by Noboru Koizumi.
    Sure they have others with a distinct style like Naoki Tate, but most of them tries to follow Koizumi.
    That's a great thing...
    But what makes me like Ishizuka's style too is his face expressions, since he makes them better than the manga!
    And gives the characters a cooler feel...

Nobody can deny this...But Zoro's face looks very handsome in Ishizuka's Style!
    But Inoue gives Zoro a more Muscular body...
    and Tate kinda a mix between them...

For example, episode 325, which is done by Inoue...For me Blackbeard looked like a joker most of the time...even his face didn't look fearsome!
    but seriously after watching the new opening...I was like WTF! BB is actually fearsome!

Well thanks to Crosswords I have ALL the One Piece animation directors listed from episode 1-373. I was going to do a major upgrade on the list but instead I decided to do this to keep the discussion rolling. Each day (or whenever I have time) I'm going to watch a specific animation directors work and post my thoughts on the director, key episodes they worked on, and how that person's style has evolved and changed over the course of the series. I think I'm going to do Eisaku Inoue first since he's the default animator right now. I'll post my thoughts tommorrow.

O-chan

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information