+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: OP really IS THE BEST!!!!!!!

aborted shit wizard GuetaMinute's Avatar

Default Re: OP really IS THE BEST!!!!!!!

That's what needs to be worked on.
    This was a stupid sig anyway

I don't know about the other countries but it's pretty popular in europe.
    "if you don't have a flame and just have some smoke, then i don't need you , burn sucker!"

How is this news? One Piece was #1 last year as well.
    How is it NOT news?

And by the way, what you're talking about was a vote amongst teens. This is across all age groups.

No, what I am talking about is based on manga sold that year, which would mean everyone who buys manga votes with their wallet, not a selection of 1,200ish people.

Still is comparing apples to oranges but the significance is switched around.

No, what I am talking about is based on manga sold that year,
    Two very different categories. Most sold doesn't mean most people like it best.

Japanese people are meticulous about rankings. While one might not have sold the most, it might not be considered the most interesting, or readers might have another favorite author, or they might like the characters of another series. This isn't unique to manga. Japan creates bragging rights in order to sell shit because they HAVE to, to survive as a country. I wish I could count how many times I've heard, "This is the biggest Buddha in Japan!!! .......made from [insert raw material]."

This is another feather in the series' cap and it's awesome. I'm not happy for myself inasmuch I am for Oda!

Quote Originally Posted by Neapaen View Post
    No, what I am talking about is based on manga sold that year, which would mean everyone who buys manga votes with their wallet, not a selection of 1,200ish people.

I'm not sure it neccessarily had the best selling volume (though I think it likely did). I know in '06 that it proably didn't. Unless you mean overall sales which means very little comparatively. Not all manga series put about as much volumes in a year.

BLACKBEARD'S RIGHT HAND regasatanum's Avatar

Most of u cheapskates are leeching it week in week out yet OP is still the most sold, it does say something about its popularity

The results of this poll is even greater considering that OP is already 10yrs/o. Feel great for Oda.

By the way, for the past 10years, what was the rank of OP ? Actually, I want to know when OP became really popular in Japan, was it from the begining ?

Quote Originally Posted by regasatanum View Post
    Most of u cheapskates are leeching it week in week out yet OP is still the most sold, it does say something about its popularity
    Well, as good as the HD scans are, I still prefer to buy new volumes when they come out.

They've already produced the best selling manga stats too. One Piece won there too (in fact the top three in the "best-selling" nearly matches the top three in the "most interesting" too - Nana sold more, but Nodame Cantabile was more interesting).

This particular poll is a qualitative test not quantitative one so you've got to use a specific sample population as you have no way of knowing what everyone who bought a manga in 2008 actually thought of the book they bought. Oricon's polls are pretty strong and have good sampling plans. (did they do the awesome TV Asahi anime survey in 2005?)

You're certainly getting a better result than you would with an open online poll, where you're subject to otaku bias and block voting.

It means more to the mangaka and the company who employs them.

Your post does not make sense to me. For one, having sold the most is a ranking from Oricon as well. Second, the difference between a person who says such and such manga series is their favorite and a person who buys said manga series' volumes, is the difference between liking a manga enough to read it and liking a manga enough to read it again.

It would be interesting to know whether One Piece experienced an increase in sales that reflects this increase in popularity in the poll. That would indicate an increase in popularity over time and good prospects for a further increase in the future. Otherwise, that poll is probably being swayed by fairweather readers who happened to be enjoying One Piece the best at the time that the poll was done. Making it an unreliable ranking for trends, but good for Oda to know that he did something that year that people especially enjoyed.

It means more to the mangaka and the company who employs them.

Your post does not make sense to me. For one, having sold the most is a ranking from Oricon as well.
    Do you understand the difference between qualitative and quantitative statistics?

Qualitative is based on peoples opinions - such as the "most interesting" table Greg has linked to.

Quantitative is based on actual measurements - such as the sales table I linked to. That's based on actual sales information, and isn't a poll.

The fact they are both Oricon stats is irrelevant. Oricon will get data in different ways depending on the criteria of the poll.

Second, the difference between a person who says such and such manga series is their favorite and a person who buys said manga series' volumes, is the difference between liking a manga enough to read it and liking a manga enough to read it again.
    Have you never bought something and been disappointed with it? Not mention that sales do not necessarily equal appreciation, people may be buying out of habit, completion or just to have something to complain about.

It would be interesting to know whether One Piece experienced an increase in sales that reflects this increase in popularity in the poll. That would indicate an increase in popularity over time and good prospects for a further increase in the future. Otherwise, that poll is probably being swayed by fairweather readers who happened to be enjoying One Piece the best at the time that the poll was done. Making it an unreliable ranking for trends, but good for Oda to know that he did something that year that people especially enjoyed.
    It's an end of year poll, Greg stated in his original post the exact circumstances of how the poll was conducted. They are asking which manga was the most interesting in 2008. It's not a "most interesting of all time" poll.

Also actually go and look at that bestselling list I linked to, One Piece has picked up sales this year. 50 & 51 outsold 49. (50 has outsold but that's been on the shelves longer).

There are outside factors effecting the chart, but it's more at the bottom end of the list - Bloody Monday at 8 is the only title in the chart that isn't in the top 50 best-selling manga of 2008 - however it has had a recent drama based on it, raising interest in the manga.

Quote Originally Posted by SillyDragons View Post
    But it's not as popular in countries outside Japan, is it? :/
    One Piece is HUGE in Italy.

as the only guy i know in wales that reads one piece that i know of thinks its the best soo thats 100% from wales hee hee
    Swansea city capital one cup winners 2013 !!!!!
    FC : 2337-3982-3157 trainer name: oldmanscraps mii name: ltsmash

not 50% mhhh does this show us OP will in future have opponents for the top.......

who is second place...??? can`t read japanese still
    The epic battle of BusterCall vs. Don is decided !!!
    And the results are 3:2 for Don..

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quichotte De Flamingo View Post
    not 50% mhhh does this show us OP will in future have opponents for the top.......

who is second place...??? can`t read japanese still
    Nodame Cantabile.
    If reason gets in your way
    KICK IT TO THE CURB

Quote Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post
    as the only guy i know in wales that reads one piece that i know of thinks its the best soo thats 100% from wales hee hee
    I am also a Welsh reader of One Piece. Fortunately I also think it's the best, so that's still 100%.

Dang, I feel sad. A couple of friends only got into One Piece recently because I introduced it to them. And then one of them went ahead and disappointed me by skipping from the Baratie arc right to Amazon Lily.

Naruto and Bleach seem to be more popular here. Especially Naruto. But it seems Naruto will die soon.
    If reason gets in your way
    KICK IT TO THE CURB

All Hail Oda-sensei!

Ulargara

I have more friends who reads Naruto& Bleach more than One Piece, i rarely see people around my area discussing about OP .Though personally OP is my favourate manga, i always have this feeling that to enjoy One Piece you gotta read from the starting, and know the whole thing.
    Tick tick tick

BEST! BREAST!! CON-TEST!!! dirt monkey AL's Avatar

Man, do I love bragging rights.

Congrats, Oda, you are allowed to brag a bit more this upcoming year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    And when this manga closes out, and Luffy's arm stretches back to deliver that last punch, I wanna feel the crunch of the dream coming true.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information