+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mihawk code...

Default The Mihawk code...

Okay we've been arguing over Mihawk's first name for years... Well today I put forward a thoery here Ive just discovered while researching the subject.

Dracula is dorakyura according to what I've been reading... Why is that part of the name written in red: Because it comes out as ラキュ in Japanese.

Look at Mihawk's name: ジュラキュール

Anow if we remove ラキュfrom that name we get ジュール

ジュール comes out from the same source I used for Dracula as the names: Joule; Juhl; Jules

I think Oda may have done a name combo here... Don't throw a flame fit at me for putting this forward, but I'm sick of all the arguing over the years over this name and what it SHOULD be. Well, I'm going to go out on a limb and say "this is what I think it is". I think Oda's combined the latter half of Dracula's name with the name Joule; Juhl; Jules.

I'm no translator, but after several hours, this is the best I could come up with... If I'm wrong, does anyone else have any OTHER abnormal ideas? I presume that w've all been looking at this name wrong and now I'm trying to find different ways of looking at it.

Edit:
    Trying to find a pirate link to the names of this theory; ut all I found:
    - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jules_Verne - who wrote some intereasting material... who pioneered the sci-fi genre. Including as FFA has point out 20,000 leagues under the sea, which has Captain Nemo, pirate in it.
    -Jhul produces nothing
    -Joule has links to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Prescott_Joule which was the only thing wikipedia would let me see... Joule for energy measurements keeps coming up.

Edit:
    Rather then "Juraquille" or "Dracule", which have been noted to be arkward when translated back into Japanese, a better match I have noted here in this thread is "Joucule" or "Jucules" according to this thoery. I need a translator to confirm this as a possible theory on his name, anyone care to help please?

Edit:
    Thanks toDirt Monkey, I corrected a mistake I made. I included "la" when I shoudn't have.
    Last edited by Angel emfrbl; February 12th, 2009 at 10:44 AM.

Default Re: The Mihawk code...

isn't his name Dracule Mihawk already?

4kids + Funi + Viz only

According to Kaizoku Fansubs, his name seems to be Juraquile Mihawk. It kinda sounds like it too, but I could say the same thing about Dracule.

Yeah but "Juraquille" fits into Japanese arkwardly, close but no cigar match wise, which has been noted on wikipedia and the wikia.

Edit:
    Again, Dracule also fits even more arkwardly, I've always been under the rule "Its being used becaus its all we've got" at the wikia, but its never suited me 100%.

Edit:
    If it was right though, the thoery I put up here... I have no idea how to say his name... Perhaps: Jouculale; Juculahl; Juculales??? >_<

I've listened to the anime again, some of those actaully sound close, least Jouculale/Juculales does for the most part.

Edit:
    Don't say the names as they would in English. "Dracula" isn't English, Joule; Juhl; Jules re dutch names. The pronounication will be different!
    Last edited by Angel emfrbl; February 11th, 2009 at 08:30 AM.

John Giant

Great work Angel emfrbl............. i also suspected something, but mainly from his attire and religious style crucifix sword, it also leaves alot of speculation over his possible df powers. funny i was just watching vampire hunter d and hellsing, they offer great insight to his possible talents

I thought the official translations gave him the name Dracula. If so, that would be his first name.

Again, only in the English Translations... There has never been a Japanese name spelt out by Oda. "Juraquille" is a fan guess, including by K-F.

Edit:
    Out of the three names, I suspect Joule, which is a measurement of energy (not writing the whole defination of Joule, its on wikipedia), is the word that Oda's comboing with "Cula". So "Jouculale" in that case would be correct. Reason being; Mihawk is the world's strongest swordsman, so beating him would be "a masure of power" so to speak. Not sure myself so I'm not going to stand by that theory since I can't check up on it... Several things come up with Joule, the guy its named after though.
    Last edited by Angel emfrbl; February 11th, 2009 at 10:51 AM.

Until Redflag X Drake came along, I always assumed it was a Japanese spelling (and pronounciation) of Sir Francis Drake, like how Zoro's last name Roronoa was a Japanese pronounciation of Lolonois, and that Mihawk was based on Sir Francis Drake.

But then, I also assumed Dragon was based on Drake, too, because Dragon is the "World's worst criminal", and Drake was the World's Worst Criminal to the Spainard's, with a bounty of modern equivalent 10,000,000 Euros (Cities were ransomed for less back then). Drake was known as "El Dragon" to the Spainards.

Funny you mention Jules Verne, though, because he wrote about a famous (fictional) pirate, Captain Nemo, who was actually a Turkish Prince who was exiled. His story isn't told in his main book, "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea", but rather in the sequel, "The Mysterious Island".
    I called it wrong, so long ago. I guess this needs to be changed.

John Giant

i wonder if we do get someone like captain nemo................the league of extroadinary gentlemen really has made in legendary in my eyes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32j_4IdjmjI

back on topic..........

if he is called Dracula then do you think he has a df or particular skill? apart from being a swordsmen, perhaps he can regenerate his health with others blood or life-force, who knows, just putting some ideas out there.......

I don't suspect Mihawk to be a vampire, but he could be a Dhampir (Vampire half-blood)... I don't know... The OP hasn't spoken of anything on it, someone brought up this great thoery somewhere on how maybe Zoro was currently in a place that held a secret on Mihawk. I forget who... DF? Oda has giants... Dwarves... Amazons... DFs cover everything that isn't in a race. Do they cover DFs or ae there Vampires? The OP speaks of them in relation to Brook, but are they a legend or real in the OP world.

At this point, now its been noted, a lot of mysteries have been solved, but new quetions arise that can't be answered yet. :-/

John Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Angel emfrbl View Post
    I don't suspect Mihawk to be a vampire, but he could be a Dhampir (Vampire half-blood)... I don't know... The OP hasn't spoken of anything on it, someone brought up this great thoery somewhere on how maybe Zoro was currently in a place that held a secret on Mihawk. I forget who... DF? Oda has giants... Dwarves... Amazons... DFs cover everything that isn't in a race. Do they cover DFs or ae there Vampires? The OP speaks of them in relation to Brook, but are they a legend or real in the OP world.

At this point, now its been noted, a lot of mysteries have been solved, but new quetions arise that can't be answered yet. :-/
    well obviously as he's been in daylight, i really couldn't be bothered to try and find a good sources of info so i'l just compare him to blade

http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2004...rinity_002.jpg

please forgive the awful comparison, but you see what i meant now

also are you saying zoro is on an island equivalent to Transylvania, perhaps we will see werewolf (wolf zoan, not jaburas model though)
    and maybe the monster created by frankenstein, although i thought that's what thriller bark was based on, either way im now confused

I don't suspect Mihawk to be a vampire, but he could be a Dhampir (Vampire half-blood).
    Quote Originally Posted by John Giant View Post
    Well obviously as he's been in daylight.
    I was always under the impression that Vampires could be out in the daylight, and that most modern variations of fictional Vampires simply added another twist to the folklore by expanding on the whole "active at night, sleep during the day" thing. I'm trying to remember where I recently (more recent, I mean) saw a case where someone used the more original approach (from folklore) of Vampires who could be out in the daytime with no issues. Edit: I think Evangeline from Mahou Sensei Negima might have been the case I was thinking of. Can't find the chapter it was mentioned though...
    Last edited by brennen.exe; February 11th, 2009 at 01:20 PM.

I note, at the very least with Dhampir, it depends on the writer on whether or not THEY can go out in the day or not. A full vampire? Don't know. Its a lot of speculation on Mihawk, all we've got is the fact its now revealed part of Dracula's name is in Mihawk's surname.

Edit:
    I have a lot of respect fo Oda since it has taken someone 9 years to pull up the correct name it seems... If I'm right presuming in the first post and all. I mostly am putting this up for name confirmation not speculational reasons.

Edit:
    FFA, n what you say, yeah, I'm changing my view; I think it maybe Jules Verne as this is the best piratey link there is thanks to 20,000 leagues under the sea.

I think Juraqille and Dracue are too bound to the fandom now... Even with new light on his name, nothings going to change, though e now know its corrected name possibly, I know we're all going to use the same old name! XD
    Last edited by Angel emfrbl; February 11th, 2009 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brennen.exe View Post
    I was always under the impression that Vampires could be out in the daylight, and that most modern variations of fictional Vampires simply added another twist to the folklore by expanding on the whole "active at night, sleep during the day" thing. I'm trying to remember where I recently (more recent, I mean) saw a case where someone used the more original approach (from folklore) of Vampires who could be out in the daytime with no issues. Edit: I think Evangeline from Mahou Sensei Negima might have been the case I was thinking of. Can't find the chapter it was mentioned though...
    also... twilight.

Quote Originally Posted by brennen.exe View Post
    I was always under the impression that Vampires could be out in the daylight,
    Been watching Twilight have we?

Edit: Beaten to it.

Rather then "Juraquille" or "Dracule", which have been noted to be arkward when translated back into Japanese, a better match I have noted here in this thread is "Jouculale" or "Juculales" according to this thoery. I need a translator to confirm this as a possible theory on his name, anyone care to help please?
    It's late, I'm tired, so I might not be understanding what you're saying, but just based on empirical evidence, the katakana ジュラキュール definitely "translates" to Dracule. I wasn't sure at first (why isn't it ヅラキュール? Right, because that would be Dzuracule), but I remembered how the SHs address Kokoro while in the flooded tunnel: dugong. Like Mihawk's name, that too is written with a ジュ for the initial "du" sound, even though ジ is "ji" and ジュ is usually "jyu."

Complicated theories are fun, but I don't think there's anything here. Besides wonky katakana spellings, that is.

As for why he would kind of be named after Dracula despite not being a vampire, I'm sure it's just the pale skin, gothic theme, and ability to induce terror.

From what I've heard, Mihawk was brought here by...HUMANS...who wish to pay him tribute. I don't really get why because he steals men's souls and makes them his slaves.

(Joke over.)

One thing I've always considered is that Dracula, in mythology, has always been considered to be (facially) like a wolf or hawk: a sharp face, much more of an angular face than a rounded. Hence is why Alucard from Hellsing looks the way he looks. Mihawk holds similar features.

I'm curious as to how the process of designing Mihawk came about really. Did Oda decide to name a character after Dracula and designed aspects of the character around said name or did he just draw a boat that looked like a coffin, decided it looked cool, and named the character Dracula because of the fact that he would be sleeping in said boat?

With Oda, it could very easily be either option.
    Complicating things since 2009.

By the 7 Sons of Pwngoat! *Meh*'s Avatar

Hmm...

this guy
    Hidden:

and this guy
    Hidden:

I think he bears a much greater resemblance to the character Cyrano from Oda's one-shot comic "Monsters".
    I'm like Hisotensoku: Not here to preserve peace, nor to destroy it. I certainly can't move mountains. Mostly, I'm just full of hot air.
    - *Meh*

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information