+ Reply to Thread
Page 103 of 249 FirstFirst ... 3 53 93 101 102 103 104 105 113 153 203 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,060 of 4978

Thread: FUNimation Simulcast Discussion

  1. #2041
    Must've been rats Sakonosolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The Spinward Marches

    Default Re: FUNimation Simulcast Discussion

    Found it. It's pronounced パラミシアparameesheea. That doesn't really help much though . Oda had to have gotten it from somewhere. Just like Zoan is from the word zoanthropy.

  2. #2042

    Default Re: FUNimation Simulcast Discussion

    How's myth pronounced? It could be from like myth as in fruits that give you mythical abilities.

  3. #2043
    Must've been rats Sakonosolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The Spinward Marches

    Default Re: FUNimation Simulcast Discussion

    It's pronounced like myth but the kanji under Paramecia is Superhuman so I don't know what myth has to do with it.

  4. #2044

    Default Re: FUNimation Simulcast Discussion

    Ugh, why can't they just translate stuff how it should be instead of screwing around with everything. That's how stuff get's ruined... D:

  5. #2045

    Default Re: FUNimation Simulcast Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeratanis View Post
    ITT: Shit blown out of proportion by zealous ass-spankers. More at 11.

    Edit: Honestly, there's multiple inconsistencies, and they're really not worth barking at.

    Edit2: Quick example - Gum Gum Giant Pistol, and then Gum Gum Gigant *Insert end name here*(I think it was rifle)

    -Zera
    Problem is this is a professional sub, not some fansub group. Anyway, it isn't the incosistencies, it's the BS name changing and Haki bullshit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
    Celine Dion post in the MK thread. I wish I could neg you.

  6. #2046

    Default Re: FUNimation Simulcast Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Shmeckie View Post
    Problem is this is a professional sub, not some fansub group. Anyway, it isn't the incosistencies, it's the BS name changing and Haki bullshit.
    A mis-spelling of a devilfruit type. Switching the words around for gear second and gear third. I don't see any "BS name changes" here. They even translate haki that one scene(at least the one that matters).

    And I finally finished the episodes. Even with slight inconsistencies here and the haki usage, this is STILL better than all the fansub groups.

    -Zera

  7. #2047

    Default Re: FUNimation Simulcast Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    The character is named マーガレット. Like the other Kuja warriors, she's named after a flower, in this case the flower マーガレット, which is named "Marguerite" in English.

    Now, I'm hardly an expert on English flower names, but even if the flower マーガレット can apparantly be called "Margaret" in English, "Marguerite" is the common name for it, and should hence be what the character should be called in English.

    Or, simply put:
    What is the character's name? マーガレット.
    What is she named after? The flower マーガレット.
    What is the common English name of this flower? Marguerite.
    What should she thus be named in English? Marguerite.

    Makes sense, no?
    It's just like the following:
    What is the character's name? ピーマン
    What is he named after? The vegetable ピーマン
    What is the common English name of this vegetable? Pepper.
    What should he thus be named in English? Pepper.

    I really don't see the difference here.

    (also, for the record, ピーマン is a loanword from French (piment), not a native Japanese word)
    This. Thank you for explaining it. It's really a lot more simple than most of the other names, I don't see the issue.

  8. #2048

    Default Re: FUNimation Simulcast Discussion

    Uuuuuuuuugh...
    I'm Head-desking over this Margaret thing severely.

    Marguerite is the common FRENCH flower and women's name, NOT English.
    Margaret is an common ENGLISH flower and women's name BASED on the French name.

    When you Write "Margaret" in Japanese it's written "Maa-gah-ret-to".
    When "Marguerite" is written in Japanese it's written "Ma-ru-ge-rit-to"

    It's Written Like "Margaret" not "Marguerite".

    You yourself said "Now, I'm hardly an expert on English flower names, but even if the flower マーガレット can apparantly be called "Margaret" in English..."
    Margaret is the English version of the E-X-A-C-T S-A-M-E Name. EXACT. SAME. NAME!

    "Margaret" is the only one that fits the phonic spelling of the Katakana. If I wasn't able to find a Japanese Wikipedia Article for the name "Marguerite" that didn't include a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT Katakana Spelling, (マルグリット) I'd agree with you.

    The reason the "Pepper" argument doesn't work is because there is only one spelling of that word. There isn't a derivative or a more accurate version of the same word. It's just the ONE Word.

    We have TWO Katakana spellings for "Marguerite". One is Phonically correct, One is not. The one that works is "Margaret" and it's the one that's used here.

    Let me repeat.

    1: Marguerite is the FRENCH name of the flower
    2: Margaret is the ENGLISH Name of the flower based on the French name.
    3: Therefore, BOTH represent the name of the flower
    4: The Katakana Matches "Margaret", it does NOT match "Marguerite".
    5: Another set of Katakana exists that perfectly matches "Marguerite" and it's not the one used here.

    Any Questions?

    And about the Argument over the rest of the simulcast.

    FUNi only has a contract for Episodes 1-195 (or 206, I forget which but it's one of these) and Movie 8. They do NOT have the rights to these episodes yet, that's why this is a Simulcast which as they say is a "Joint Venture between FUNimation, Toei, and Fuji Television". That's why Toei won't pull their hand out of the Cookie Jar.

    I feel FUNi will be using the same scripts when the time comes for them to DVD (and Possibly Blu-Ray?) these episodes, but when that time comes, we'll be seeing the stuff we've already had confirmation on.

    Plus, it's RATHER OBVIOUS that to get all this work done, they're splitting up the work, which is why you have inconsistancies.
    One episode a guy probably realized "Gear Third" was right, so left it, the next the script Editor thought "Gear Third" was Engrish, so he "Fixed" it. (Technically, it IS Engrish)

    We already know FUNimation is using "Paramecia" for that, they used it in Skypiea.

    Chill out people, chill out.
    Nothing here for now

  9. #2049

    Default Re: FUNimation Simulcast Discussion

    Ah yes, I forgot that Toei was more directly involved in the smulcast. Still their reason for using Haki is still sickeningly transparent. It's like seeing an overly toyetic vehicle introduced in a kids cartoon halfway through its run...

    Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
    Celine Dion post in the MK thread. I wish I could neg you.

  10. #2050

    Default Re: FUNimation Simulcast Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Shmeckie View Post
    Ah yes, I forgot that Toei was more directly involved in the smulcast. Still their reason for using Haki is still sickeningly transparent. It's like seeing an overly toyetic vehicle introduced in a kids cartoon halfway through its run...
    I'm actually somewhat Happy with their handling of Haki now, because the one scene where it RREEEEEEEEEALY mattered, they got it right.

    I haven't seen it yet, but my Good Friend Zeratanis has, and he says they used "Conquerer's Spirit" for "Haoushoku Haki".
    a Conquerer is a "Warring King" which is correct (though slightly less clear I'll admit)
    and Spirit works for Haki.

    I'm happy with that. I can Put up with the rest.
    Nothing here for now

  11. #2051

    Default Re: FUNimation Simulcast Discussion

    Personally, I can't. The very use of the term totally fucks up what it is in the first place. Between that crap, the unprofessional inconsistencies, etc., my earlier statement about fansubs being of a better quality is seeming less and less like the goofy hyperbole it was meant to be...

    At least it's unlikely we'll have to deal with it in the DVDs... Which is all I really care about. With the shittiness of the simulcast, recently, I've lost interest in it. All I care about is the DVDs at this point.

    From a personal standpoint, this seems to be a wierd in-and-out trend... Something comes along, and is great at first. Then we lose it due to some bullshit. Then it comes back, and there is happiness. Then all is not well, and it returns as a shitty husk of what it was. Then fuck it.

    It's like Family Guy all over again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
    Celine Dion post in the MK thread. I wish I could neg you.

  12. #2052

    Default Re: FUNimation Simulcast Discussion

    The only real "Inconsistancy" we've gotten is "Gear Third" vs "Third Gear". That's not really a big deal.

    This is still LEAGUES better than Fansubs. Wana know why?
    Fansubs have most of these problems too. I saw one Fansub that went "Hebihime", then "Snake Princess" and then "Hebihime" on and off like that in the SAME EPISODE.
    Most (But not all) fansubs went with "Kintama" for Luffy's "Family Jewels" line. When you have to read a Note to get the joke, It's not funny...
    and Worst of all, In fansubs you have to put up with NAKAMA!!

    Yeah, Simulcast is still LEAGUES better. The only bullshit weeaboo term we're stuck with is one that isn't mentioned very frequently AT ALL

    And the "King's Ambition" scene already happened, Now you won't see "Haki" again, at least not for a LONG while. That was the last time in the manga it was named, it hasn't been called by name yet since.
    Nothing here for now

  13. #2053

    Default Re: FUNimation Simulcast Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Rin View Post
    "Margaret" is the only one that fits the phonic spelling of the Katakana. If I wasn't able to find a Japanese Wikipedia Article for the name "Marguerite" that didn't include a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT Katakana Spelling, (マルグリット) I'd agree with you.
    Uh...yeah...EXCEPT THAT IT SAYS THAT IT'S A WOMAN'S FRENCH NAME. She is named directly for the flower, not an adaptation of it. May as well call her Daisy if that's the way you want to go.

    Oh, and Jaguar D. Saul.

  14. #2054

    Default Re: FUNimation Simulcast Discussion

    As I recall, several attack names were misspelled, as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
    Celine Dion post in the MK thread. I wish I could neg you.

  15. #2055

    Default Re: FUNimation Simulcast Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Rin View Post
    The only real "Inconsistancy" we've gotten is "Gear Third" vs "Third Gear". That's not really a big deal.

    And the "King's Ambition" scene already happened, Now you won't see "Haki" again, at least not for a LONG while. That was the last time in the manga it was named, it hasn't been called by name yet since.
    Gum Gum Giant Pistol one episode, Gum Gum Gigant Rifle the next(or vise versa). That's something you missed. :P

    And I'll say it again, Haki aside, this is still much better than any fansub.

    -Zera

  16. #2056

    Default Re: FUNimation Simulcast Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by RuNa View Post
    Uh...yeah...EXCEPT THAT IT SAYS THAT IT'S A WOMAN'S FRENCH NAME. She is named directly for the flower, not an adaptation of it. May as well call her Daisy if that's the way you want to go.
    Yes, she's named after the flower. The English name of the flower.

    Oda named her "Maa-ga-ret-to".
    Not "Ma-ru-ge-rit-to".

    He named her "Margaret"
    Not "Marguerite".
    Nothing here for now

  17. #2057

    Default Re: FUNimation Simulcast Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Rin View Post
    Yes, she's named after the flower. The English name of the flower.

    Oda named her "Maa-ga-ret-to".
    Not "Ma-ru-ge-rit-to".

    He named her "Margaret"
    Not "Marguerite".
    If you believe you argument stands, explain Jaguar D. Saul.

    Go ahead.

    Oh, and:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret

    vs.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marguerite

    No flower references in the first.

  18. #2058

    Default Re: FUNimation Simulcast Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by RuNa View Post
    If you believe you argument stands, explain Jaguar D. Saul.

    Go ahead.

    Oh, and:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret

    vs.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marguerite

    No flower references in the first.
    Oda never wrote "Jaguar", that's a Fan assumption because nothing else fits.

    I'd say more his name might be "Hogwarl".
    But that's another COMPLETELY DIFFERENT situation.

    ハグワール (Haguwaaru) is a name Oda COMPLETELY Made up. It's made up, it's not a preexistent word. So people have to guess and approximate on that because he quite literally just completely made it up. Jaguar is what most people came up with, and it fits in a roundabout way even if I disagree. I thing Hogwarl works better TBH.

    Margaret isn't a made up name. It's the English name of a French Flower. And it existed before Oda wrote One Piece.
    There is Japanese Katakana for both "Margaret" and "Marguerite".
    If Oda meant it to be "Marguerite" I think he would have written "Marguerite".
    He used Margaret.

    When you make up a word, you can play with it as much as you want. When you use a word that already exists and has a proper romanization, that's what it means.

    Again. a Japanese Katakana reading exists For BOTH Margaret and Marguerite.
    And Oda used Margaret.

    Both words can refer to the flower.

    So go with the one that's correct.

    EDIT: Go into the "Margaret" page on Wikipedia (why are we even using Wiki for minute details... granted, it's good for getting proper spellings and stuff but it's a user-generated encyclodpedia...)
    But Go to the "Margaret" page and search for "Marguerite". It will tell you that "Marguerite" is one of the French Variants of the SAME name.
    Last edited by Demon Rin; August 29th, 2009 at 12:16 AM.
    Nothing here for now

  19. #2059

    Default Re: FUNimation Simulcast Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Rin View Post
    Again. a Japanese Katakana reading exists For BOTH Margaret and Marguerite.
    And Oda used Margaret.

    Both words can refer to the flower.

    So go with the one that's correct.

    EDIT: Go into the "Margaret" page on Wikipedia (why are we even using Wiki?... it's a user-generated encyclodpedia...)
    But Go to the "Margaret" page and search for "Marguerite". It will tell you that "Marguerite" is one of the French Variants of the SAME name.
    Go with Margaret if you want, however:
    http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%...83%83%E3%83%88

    マーガレットMargaret, Marguerite

    Both work, but other than daisy, Marguerite flowers are usually spelled that way. Therefore, I would use that.

  20. #2060

    Default Re: FUNimation Simulcast Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by RuNa View Post
    Go with Margaret if you want, however:
    http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%...83%83%E3%83%88

    マーガレットMargaret, Marguerite

    Both work, but other than daisy, Marguerite flowers are usually spelled that way. Therefore, I would use that.
    Yes, and which one is listed there first?
    Yes, Margaret. Marguerite is a secondary note, probably because Margaret is DERIVED From Marguerite, so they're mentioning it. It doesn't elaborate though.

    http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/マルグリット Here's the Japanese Wiki page for "Marguerite".

    Look, the Katakana is completely different.
    Nothing here for now

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts