+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 109 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 101 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 2172

Thread: Non-Disney animation thread

Default Re: Non-Disney animated movies

Any fans of the Iron Giant? Its probably my favourite non disney/non anime movie.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
    Like Cars but with Snails, really?
    Thats what all the commercials seemed to desperately want to sell it as.

Seems pretty apt to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Jozu View Post
    Any fans of the Iron Giant? Its probably my favourite non disney/non anime movie.
    No, Brad Bird only makes terrible movies and you should feel ashamed for liking that one.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
    Just a silly anecdote, at work I heard someone talking on the phone about Turbo; she says "Yeah, I saw that Turbo movie, you know, it's like Cars but with snails, I was kind of disappointed".

Like Cars but with Snails, really?

I haven't seen the movie but I'm pretty sure there is nothing in common with Cars other than that there is some racing involved.
    How can something be "like Cars" when Cars is so soulless and derivative that it has literally no flavour of it's own ?

Also I just learned that Planes is a thing and.......ugh.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post

No, Brad Bird only makes terrible movies and you should feel ashamed for liking that one.
    I kinda liked it :/ .

Yeah ok, the incredibles was shit and so on but I don't know I just loved the Iron Giant, I mean what kid would have not loved to have their own Robot? It was a charming movie, the relationship between Hogarth and the Giant is well written & directed. In detail why didn't you like it? just saying that you hate it because Brad Bird directed is lazy journalism.

Since when was The Incredibles "shit" ?

Cause I'm not sure I saw the same movie as you.

Robby was being sarcastic. I'm hoping Diamond Jozu was being the same. *edit* (Dammit Cyan, don't 'ninja' me.)

Quote Originally Posted by No Maam View Post
    How can something be "like Cars" when Cars is so soulless and derivative that it has literally no flavour of it's own ?

Also I just learned that Planes is a thing and.......ugh.
    Hey now, Cars was a fine movie. It's got it's own charm. It's just not high on the Pixar ladder.

I can't speak for Planes though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    Robby just soared over both of your heads.
    It's past midnight and I have only vague memories of the movie from when I was a kid.

So sorry for not catching on :P

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post

Hey now, Cars was a fine movie. It's got it's own charm. It's just not high on the Pixar ladder.

I can't speak for Planes though.
    As in ?

Not meaning to be confrontational but considering the boring stock main character, uninventive plot and a storyline that's far too predictable even for a big budget kid's film, I fail to see much of substance here.

I seriously have a more pronounced opinion on Shark's Tale.

In that it's absolute shit but still, a far more potent reaction then the hyper-recycled plot of Cars ever got out of me.

The family bored me, The only thing that made the movie interesting was Jason Lee's Syndrome....oh and the baby. The whole family coming together/bonding to save the world etc just didn't click with me, I'm more of a Monsters Inc/Monsters University/bugs Life, Wall-E person. The incredibles just didn't feel 'Pixar' to me.

P.S. I wasn't being sarcastic.....sarcasm is hard to read in plain text, for me anyways.

P.P.S I loved How to train your dragon too....but then again who doesn't.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaannd, the can of worms has been opened.

Quote Originally Posted by No Maam View Post

As in ?

Not meaning to be confrontational but considering the boring stock main character, uninventive plot and a storyline that's far too predictable even for a big budget kid's film, I fail to see much of substance here.

I seriously have a more pronounced opinion on Shark's Tale.

In that it's absolute shit but still, a far more potent reaction then the hyper-recycled plot of Cars ever got out of me.
    lol. Don't bring Shark's Tale into this, man.

The charm of Cars, for me, was in it's setting and it's characters. As main characters go, Lightning was dull, but he had the far better supporting characters to play off of. Doc Hudson was my personal favorite character. (You go, Paul Newman.)

But you could feel the love and nostalgia for old America bleeding off the film. Maybe it's because I have an older father, but I found that charming and heartwarming.

Cars actually gets better with repeat viewings. Yes, the basic story is an old one, and the actual world makes no sense whatsoever, but the ton of quirky side characters, great visuals in the setting, (the neon lights at night, or the gorgeous scenic view going by a waterfall, for example) the sheer amount of charm that went into it, and the ENDING, and the actual character arc wightning gos through where he does, yes, start as a completely unlikeable jerk, to in the end where he very clearly skids to a halt rather than winning the race, all make it work really well. It grows on you. (And since it airs on television endlessly....)

Cars 2 however lost all those redeeming factors the first one had in favor of wacky ol' Nater satruday morning cartoon antics and a REEEALLY stupid plot! Scenery was nice tho.

(And for those of you that didn't pick up on the sarcasm earlier, Brad Bird is one of my favorite directions. Iron Giant, Incredibles, and Ratatouille are all among my favorite movies, and I can't wait for Tomorrowland.)
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

(And for those of you that didn't pick up on the sarcasm earlier, Brad Bird is one of my favorite directions. Iron Giant, Incredibles, and Ratatouille are all among my favorite movies, and I can't wait for Tomorrowland.)
    Yeah I didn't pick up on it, I love Iron Giant and Ratatouille. Tomorrowland looks promising, I'm definitely excited for it.

Cars actually gets better with repeat viewings. Yes, the basic story is an old one, and the actual world makes no sense whatsoever, but the ton of quirky side characters, great visuals in the setting, (the neon lights at night, or the gorgeous scenic view going by a waterfall, for example) the sheer amount of charm that went into it, and the ENDING, and the actual character arc wightning gos through where he does, yes, start as a completely unlikeable jerk, to in the end where he very clearly skids to a halt rather than winning the race, all make it work really well. It grows on you. (And since it airs on television endlessly....)

Cars 2 however lost all those redeeming factors the first one had in favor of wacky ol' Nater satruday morning cartoon antics and a REEEALLY stupid plot! Scenery was nice tho.
    Cars does get better with repeat viewings. You also end up getting favorite scenes:

I could see bits and pieces in Cars 2 of what could have been a better movie. They criminally underused John Turturro's character, Francesco. Throughout the movie, actually, I wanted to see more of the international racers and less of the overdone spy stuff.

I'll admit though, it had one perfect scene:

It's funnier for those of us who have been to Japan and have encountered these amazing robot toilets.

I think Cars 2 would have worked had they just played EITHER the international race straight and been a sequel... or JUST the spy movie angle straight and just been a completely different sort of film set in the same world (And drop the 2 obviously, and have a subtitle instead) . Completely different from the first movie, none of the old characters (maybe cameo by Lightning) and just focused on the spies and the locales. Cause all the stuff with Finn was great.

It was the fact that they merged the two and everyone in the plot had to be complete idiots to allow Nater to participate as an accidental spy (and that Nater had what felt like 90% of the screentime) that made it a huge mess.

Thats what all the commercials seemed to desperately want to sell it as.

Seems pretty apt to me.
    Well, I haven't seen the TV commercials, so that must be the reason. I only saw the theatrical trailer, which showed the movie to be nothing like Cars whatsoever. Other than, like I said, being animated, and having a character that is involved in some kind of racing.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Watched some old animated movies these days.
    Hoppity goes to town (1941), was a nice reminder of the old animation style of silly symphony(even when it was paramount when i recall)
    Loved the bad guys in this movie and the first time a fly wasn`t annoying to me..also his nose was somewhat like Usopps, hehe.

La planete sauvage (1971), wasn`t animated most of the time..but still a cool story about humans being used as pets from aliens, while they try to live on their own.
    Liked the teaching machine the aliens use and the story has a good moral lesson that you should let each kind live side by side or it could have bad effects on you.

Wizards (1977) , post apocalyptical world where magic is used and a quartett trys to go against an evil wizard.
    The nazi-references might be necessary or not and the middle part was also kind of unnecessary, but still an oustanding battle scene and maybe the most awesome ending(even when it was kind of rushed, but perfect for a line you will remember for a long time, hehe) made the movie a good watch.
    The epic battle of BusterCall vs. Don is decided !!!
    And the results are 3:2 for Don..

Ok since Cloudy 2 released this week I want to know if anyone saw it.

The Tetsuo Ishimaru of AP Gizmo's Avatar

So Dreamwork's Mr. Peabody & Sherman has a trailer out. This is another cartoon that I never knew about from back in the day so I have no nostalgia for it.

Looks like it's Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure except instead of writing a report it's just trying to "fix" the time-space continuum, and there's a female involved to get into crazy shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing
    Stay focused, cause right now you have a decision to make. Are you a man perpetually looking back at what hes lost, or a man looking forward, to what he might become?

Hey it's Patrick Warburton.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Default DreamWorks is making a Rocky and Bullwinkle short.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/...llwinkle-short

I have to say this is great news. Sure its going to be before the Mr. Peabody and Sherman movie. I'm just happy that Rocky and Bullwinkle will be back in some type of form. Since its one of the shows that I watch when I was a kid.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information