+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 168

Thread: 1 Gripe with Oda's changing art style...

  1. #1

    Default 1 Gripe with Oda's changing art style...

    First off, sorry for the meh thread title. Secondly, now I'm a fan of Oda's art just as a lot of OP fans are, but the one issue I have with how Oda's art style has changed since roughly skypea is that Luffy just doesnt look 17 anymore.

    This age changing affect hasn't just affected Luffy but chopper as well I'd say, thing is that making chopper look more "cutesy" is more forgivable than with Luffy.

    From what I can tell Luffy's face is shorter, his eyes are rounder, and he just seems generally more short both in his torso and limbs. Point of this thread is that I'd just like to know others opinions on the current design of Luffy and to discuss the changes.

    xMuradx provided a showcase of this changing style that presents the varied looks of Luffy and all the characters: http://apforums.net/showpost.php?p=1...&postcount=291

    Imo the 4 and 5 Luffy are the best that still maintain appearance of his age.

  2. #2
    Part Time Lurker OrangeNinjasSucks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    A Sinister Lab

    Default Re: 1 Gripe with Oda's changing art style...

    You're right but in the anime the difference is more visible look at Nami's eyes in the first couple of One Piece episodes compared to the Thriller Bark episodes and the later ones as well:

    3DS FRIEND CODE: 0344-9293-6833

  3. #3

    Default Re: 1 Gripe with Oda's changing art style...

    Hm, yeah, I think my favorite ''phase'' if you will, of Oda's art was Skypiea-Water 7. Luffy actually looked more grown up during Water 7, but he turned back int oa little kid during Enies Lobby. Nami changed a fair bit during that arc too. Her mouth got smaller and her eyes seem to be positioned lower on her face. I think Oda was trying to make her look tougher during that time, and sometimes it worked, othertimes, not as much.

    Oda's art seems to have gotten a bit cartoonier lately, and I think a little less refined and a bit more rough.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

  4. #4

    Default Re: 1 Gripe with Oda's changing art style...

    Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    Hm, yeah, I think my favorite ''phase'' if you will, of Oda's art was Skypiea-Water 7. Luffy actually looked more grown up during Water 7, but he turned back int oa little kid during Enies Lobby. Nami changed a fair bit during that arc too. Her mouth got smaller and her eyes seem to be positioned lower on her face. I think Oda was trying to make her look tougher during that time, and sometimes it worked, othertimes, not as much.

    Oda's art seems to have gotten a bit cartoonier lately, and I think a little less refined and a bit more rough.
    Thats my favorite Luffy phase too, its the 4th and 5th pic that i mentioned, what I find funny is that many say Oda's art has gotten better over the years which I believe is true, from a technical stand point but yet I feel like he's spending a lot less time maintaining consistency for the character designs of the SH, and they're becoming disproportional, as well as in the case of Luffy, as if he's losing years off his age. Seriously that 6th Luffy pic looks like he's 12.

  5. #5
    Discovered Stowaway
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Miami Florida

    Default Re: 1 Gripe with Oda's changing art style...

    i noticed it as well his style has changed but i don't know i like that it has though its normal for artists to have a change in style over the years.

    you can also tell by shanks as well since before Shanks look alot like Luffy in some ways but then he changed to look different from Luffy.

    so thats one example but yeah pretty interesting topic though.

  6. #6
    Stowaway Ao Kiji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Riding a bicycle across the ocean

    Default Re: 1 Gripe with Oda's changing art style...

    thing is that making chopper look more "cutesy" is more forgivable than with Luffy.
    highly disagree.
    nearly everything about luffy's character and mannerisms scream 'cute kid'.
    also, considering he needs to appear cute and young to maintain a shonen aesthetic despite him being all TALL and TEENAGE, it makes sense.

    Oda-sensei really needs to learn how to draw zoro again, tho. all the girls are looking better these days, tho
    Quote Originally Posted by Mog View Post
    Also, it's a children's comic from Japan.

    Why are you comparing it to cultural engravings and burritos.

  7. #7

    Default Re: 1 Gripe with Oda's changing art style...

    Is Luffy always drawn inconsistently(on purpose) depending on his mood or the situation he's in anyway? I mean, sometimes he looks older, sometimes his head is rounder, sometimes he appears shorter, ect, ect.

    I'll see if I can track down some examples.

    Here's two similar ones, and this is an older arc to a more recent one.

    http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/265/05/
    http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/507/09/

    The big changes is how tall he is, but everyone shrunk a bit.... Did they?
    Last edited by Hiroy; July 23rd, 2009 at 02:45 AM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: 1 Gripe with Oda's changing art style...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ao Kiji View Post
    highly disagree.
    nearly everything about luffy's character and mannerisms scream 'cute kid'.
    also, considering he needs to appear cute and young to maintain a shonen aesthetic despite him being all TALL and TEENAGE, it makes sense.

    Oda-sensei really needs to learn how to draw zoro again, tho. all the girls are looking better these days, tho
    Yeah.. Luffy's current look fits his personality.. But the water-7 (4th/5th pic) looks bad ass.. (whenever I think of gear 2nd, luffy has to cool looking)
    I agree that he needs to do zoro better like previous arcs..
    The females, Nami and Robin, look better
    and chopper is cuter (i think his body size shrunk.. )
    Dunno about you guys but Sanji still looks the same to me (maybe slight adjustments) and for usopp, I can't really comment on him except he has a better hair style compared to his first appearance lol
    Brook and Frankie are still new =P




  9. #9

    Default Re: 1 Gripe with Oda's changing art style...

    Most comic artists's styles change naturally over the years, as people naturally change. Just take a look at the early strips of famous daily strips such as Garfield, Peanuts, Mother Goose and Grimm, etc..




    It's just gonna happen...

    Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

  10. #10

    Default Re: 1 Gripe with Oda's changing art style...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ao Kiji View Post
    highly disagree.
    nearly everything about luffy's character and mannerisms scream 'cute kid'.
    also, considering he needs to appear cute and young to maintain a shonen aesthetic despite him being all TALL and TEENAGE, it makes sense.

    Oda-sensei really needs to learn how to draw zoro again, tho. all the girls are looking better these days, tho
    Cute kid? Luffy's 17! His mannerisms aren't that of cute, more of him being his own man and indifferent/oblivious to judgement from others, plus he's a little dumb. I don't think cute is the aim, I mean Luffy will stop and pick his nose at times when he is confused, definitely not the definition of cute.

    I'm just saying I think Oda had Luffy nailed in pics four and five, however now Luffy looks like an early middle schooler, instead of appearing to be his actual height of 5 ft 7, he looks like he's 4 ft 11.
    Last edited by HaxeyeMihawk; July 23rd, 2009 at 03:44 AM.

  11. #11

    Default Re: 1 Gripe with Oda's changing art style...

    Quote Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
    Most comic artists's styles change naturally over the years, as people naturally change. Just take a look at the early strips of famous daily strips such as Garfield, Peanuts, Mother Goose and Grimm, etc..

    http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/garfield-6.jpg
    http://www.arcamax.com/newspics/9/932/93274.gif

    It's just gonna happen...
    I'm all for change just as long as it's an improvement, and those newer Garfield and John designs are definitely for the better. Whereas for Oda I'd say that generally the 4 and 5th Luffy designs matched up better with his character's age and height, and I'd just say that I liked the 2nd and 5th designs of Zoro the best.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiroy View Post
    Is Luffy always drawn inconsistently(on purpose) depending on his mood or the situation he's in anyway? I mean, sometimes he looks older, sometimes his head is rounder, sometimes he appears shorter, ect, ect.

    I'll see if I can track down some examples.

    Here's two similar ones, and this is an older arc to a more recent one.

    http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/265/05/
    http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/507/09/

    The big changes is how tall he is, but everyone shrunk a bit.... Did they?
    Now this is interesting, those pics show how more detailed and technical Oda has gotten, so props for those finds, however it still seems that Luffy in his most badass scenes in the past trump the newer younger Luffy design in similar scenes.

    Sorry for the DP, I hit edit to add in some quotes and it made it a separate post when I finished.

  12. #12
    Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: 1 Gripe with Oda's changing art style...

    I like this style the most:
    Hidden:

  13. #13

    Default Re: 1 Gripe with Oda's changing art style...

    Probably the best ones are from skypiea and Water 7 so far

    Chopper is getting a bit too "cute"

  14. #14

    Default Re: 1 Gripe with Oda's changing art style...

    Also it could just be me, but it looks like the brim of the straw hat is shrinking, and the top of the hat has gotten rounder, lol.

  15. #15

    Default Re: 1 Gripe with Oda's changing art style...

    Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    Oda's art seems to have gotten a bit cartoonier lately, and I think a little less refined and a bit more rough.
    What the hell? Are you serious?

  16. #16

    Default Re: 1 Gripe with Oda's changing art style...

    Water7 had this dumb angular look that made for some perspective fucked heads and other bullshit.

    Art style was best in Alabasta.

    And what we have now is nowhere near as rounded as the Skypiea style.

    QQ more about cartooniness in One Piece of all things.

  17. #17

    Default Re: 1 Gripe with Oda's changing art style...

    The characters have simply become more refined. Usopp for instance, i assume was given a rather large face at the start of the manga so that his nose would be the thing that caught everybodies attention. As the manga / anime progresses, we get to know the characters and thier asthetics (probably spelled that wrong) dont mean as much.

    In my opinion "new" Luffy > "older" Luffy. His eyes to me seemed a little too oval compared to thier more circular shape now. He's gone from being a clueless looking child to a slightly less clueless teenager.

  18. #18
    Rogue Agent Zkaiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sleeping on THE LAST VΩYAGE

    Default Re: 1 Gripe with Oda's changing art style...

    The art style I like the most was Whiskey Peak. I remember loving the way Oda drew things during that arc for some reason.
    ΩMEGA PIRATES: ? Members
    Captain: Zkaiser
    Status: Dejected.
    Threat Level: Pink
    Goal: Prove the Elemental Haki Theory

  19. #19

    Default Re: 1 Gripe with Oda's changing art style...

    Quote Originally Posted by StrawxHatxLuffy View Post
    The characters have simply become more refined. Usopp for instance, i assume was given a rather large face at the start of the manga so that his nose would be the thing that caught everybodies attention. As the manga / anime progresses, we get to know the characters and thier asthetics (probably spelled that wrong) dont mean as much.

    In my opinion "new" Luffy > "older" Luffy. His eyes to me seemed a little too oval compared to thier more circular shape now. He's gone from being a clueless looking child to a slightly less clueless teenager.
    The thing is that the generally rounder face and eyes (combined with the fact that his face is not as long as before) lends to an overall more childish/young appearance. His nose is also shorter and more round, he really looks younger in my eyes.

  20. #20
    Normal in Real Life maggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Greed Island

    Default Re: 1 Gripe with Oda's changing art style...

    artists styles naturally change as time goes on, and time (to get a project done) is usually a factor. It becomes more stylized, and you can tell the linework is laid out faster and with more ease. Oda needs to get his pages done FAST, so his style has evolved as such (less hatching and whatnot, especially since he's working on the movie and other projects). You can see the same things with many other artists (look at how simplified naruto became, and ah! my goddess). The artist continues to be influenced by others as well (Oda used to assist other manga ka, and I've seen some of that persons style come and go in Oda's work). For faster changes, Oda may draw luffy a bit different and decide it looks better that way and stick to it. I don't think it's a super-conscious effort. I do think it's funny though that the men's necks have gotten so thick and the very short jawbone line as well as the girls are getting more hourglass shaped and elongated bodies. Their waists are becoming non-existent lol

    also, Oda has many, many assistants. It could also be his assistants that work on various parts changed, new inker, etc. and could influence the comic differently. I suppose I don't have an opinion about the style changing, it is what it is.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts