+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Swearing is scientifically proven to be good for you

Default Swearing is scientifically proven to be good for you

Next time you stub your toe or bang your shin, go ahead and say it: Holy $@%#!

There may a good reason why we swear when we hurt ourselves. New research from Keele University's School of Psychology has found that swearing can actually have a ‘pain lessoning effect'.

The study, published in the journal NeuroReport, looked at the links between swearing and the actual experience of physical pain. Researchers had hypothesized that since swearing often has a 'catastrophising' or exaggerating effect, that pain would actually increase when a person swore.

However, they found the opposite to be true.

For the study, 64 volunteers were asked to submerge their hand in a tub of ice water for as long as possible while repeating a swear word of their choice. After this, they were asked to repeat the experiment, using a more commonplace word -- such as 'brown' or 'square' or wooden' -- they would use to describe a table.

And despite their initial expectations, the research team found that the volunteers were able to keep their hands submerged in the ice water longer when repeating a swear word. On average, men could leave their hands in 30 per cent longer, while women increased their endurance by 44 per cent. The reason for the difference in gender may have to do with the fact that men generally swear more than women, making it a more powerful expression for women.

"Foul-mouthed" volunteers also reported feeling less anxiety and less fear of pain, researchers found. In other words, curse words can help you cope.

Fight-or-flight response

The pain-lessening effect may occur because swearing triggers our natural 'fight-or-flight' response, researchers say. When the volunteers swore, their heart rates accelerated, indicating an increase in aggression in a classic fight-or-flight response of 'downplaying feebleness in favour of a more pain-tolerant machismo.'

"Swearing has been around for centuries and is an almost universal human linguistic phenomenon," lead study author, Dr. Richard Stephens said in a release. "It taps into emotional brain centres and appears to arise in the right brain, whereas most language production occurs in the left cerebral hemisphere of the brain. Our research shows one potential reason why swearing developed and why it persists."
    Source: http://healthandfitness.sympatico.ms...te=Fal%20%20se

PFFT. Well, ain't this interesting? Who'd 'a thought? :'D

Default Re: Swearing is scientifically proven to be good for you

Fuck yeah.

(Typical answer)

Hm, interesting. I wonder what swear words some people picked. Did the stronger swear words make the pain less?

Ha! This is both fascinating, and vindicating! I am one healthy motherfucker, if this is the case!

Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
    Celine Dion post in the MK thread. I wish I could neg you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairouseki View Post
    Hm, interesting. I wonder what swear words some people picked. Did the stronger swear words make the pain less?
    I don't know. All I know is that if you said 'cookie' instead of 'shit' when you stubbed a toe you'd be feeling more pain than you usually would. xD

The Other White Meat Capt Haggis's Avatar

On average, men could leave their hands in 30 per cent longer, while women increased their endurance by 44 per cent. The reason for the difference in gender may have to do with the fact that men generally swear more than women, making it a more powerful expression for women.
    I wonder how effective it is for the people who use swearing as their main form of communication.
    Your daily heaping helping of haggis.

I woke up once and wanted to grab something to eat but it was dark and I stubbed my toe, woke up my whole family with a healthy "HIJO DE TU CHINGADA MADRE" which means son of a bitch in spanish

What I've always liked to know is if your original language is something other than English and you've mainly spoke English for years if you'd still swear in your original language if you get hurt .

Halen: Can you switch chigada for puta or does that not work?

I've never sworn in my life.
    Mihawk is like Kanye West...ppl only scared of him bcuz hes kinda crazy and dangerous...hes only got 1 friend Jayz i mean Shanks no 2 mention hes really cocky too and nobody in the OP world likes him..mayb kanye has a long black sword too!!

Pansy-ass. .
    Last edited by Sakonosolo; August 7th, 2009 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Did make me feel better :)

i bet it has more to do with the emotion connected to the word, rather than it being a swear itself. like if i shouted OWW or Fudgenuckets, I imagine it would have the same phycological effect. though, if i were to shout cookie, that has no relevance to the fact that i am in pain.

oh the power of the mind.

The results are probably bullshit anyway.

エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar

Ice water is a stupid way to test this idea, it should have been hot/boiling water. Humans can feel sensations of "cold" and "warm", while "hot" is actually "warm + pain". There's no "cold + pain" sensation, just "cold".

Try seeing how much swearing works when they're actually in pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobjr View Post
    The results are probably bullshit anyway.
    Yeah.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    Making Anime and Manga OBSOLETE since 2006
    PM me for details

Yeah, take them into a room and shoot them in the kneecaps. I'd like to see how much swearing would work in that situation.

I dunno. i think i'd say a few choice words if I had to stick my hand in ice water and leave it there. and if they did hot water, people would get hurt :O

ExpertVillage is giving out free smack talk lessons on YouTube. No joke, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairouseki View Post
    What I've always liked to know is if your original language is something other than English and you've mainly spoke English for years if you'd still swear in your original language if you get hurt .

Halen: Can you switch chigada for puta or does that not work?
    You could, but chingada is longer so it kinda helps I guess. And my native language is spanish, and when I'm in pain I usually curse in spanish

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer Ms. Suave Debonair's Avatar

well spank my ass and fuck me sideways.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer Ms. Suave Debonair's Avatar

Get the fuck away from me.

Quote Originally Posted by captain usopp View Post
    i bet it has more to do with the emotion connected to the word, rather than it being a swear itself. like if i shouted OWW or Fudgenuckets, I imagine it would have the same phycological effect. though, if i were to shout cookie, that has no relevance to the fact that i am in pain.

oh the power of the mind.
    Well curse words are ordinary words that we attribute a strong negative emotion to, usually. Letting out your anger is already out there as a healthy thing, so this study is pretty pointless.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information