+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: lose the weight, look great, in cosplay

Default Re: lose the weight, look great, in cosplay

I'm trying to get in amazing shape, though no longer so I can pull of Franky (though now Yorki's a decent consideration). Since my girlfriend left for Japan I've been killing myself with 2-3 workouts a day, a minimum of one cardio and one strength, with a lot of focus on my abs. I want a solid six-pack by December when I visit her, and I'm somewhat close, there's solid definition.

I feel so out of shape even though I haven't been this skinny since junior year's track season (and maybe not even then). I can't lift much anymore and I can't make it more than four miles, but I'm working my way up. I have a goal to do this one run that's about one mile with a 600 foot elevation gain before I leave for college, but I dunno if I'll be able to do it. I've been tired XD My friend and I have been making a point out of trying to work different muscles every day, so we've been using a punching bag, swimming, distance running, hill running, etc. It's killing me, but it helps me get through the drudges of the end of summer.

WORK OUT WITH A FRIEND.

At least until you're in the routine or else you'll have no one to guilt you into getting INTO that routine. Do not let them be lazy and don't be lazy yourself. Set up goals far outside your comfort level and vocalize them so you can be miserable together. It makes life so much easier.

EDIT: I drink several diet sodas a day 8D No calories and normal sodas feel too...thick. But I love 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by captain usopp View Post
    I decided I'm going to find something athletic to do out of the house on Saturdays. My problem is cost, and I HATE sports.
    Well I just have one of those Iron Gym things so I can do sit-ups, pull-ups, and push-ups. I have an elliptical in my garage too, which I use for running and such, and other weights and bench stuff, but my primary daily workout is just the Iron Gym thing. That only cost me $30, and I didn't even "need" it to do what I am doing. Sometimes simply going for a walk with friends is exercise enough as long as you are constantly moving and going for a good amount of distance/time. Or swimming. That's great exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by omnichild View Post
    It can be soda, pop, soda pop, sody water, coke and other things.
    You forgot Coca. =P

my co-worker said in newfoundland, they say "drinx" the x is for the accent.

I have no friends around here to work out with T_T I'd so be motivated if I had someone here. All my friends moved away. *shakes fist at them*

Here's what I got

Most important thing to weight loss is FOOD. Not excerise or killing yourself but FOOOOOOD. Watching your intake is the most crucial thing. If you eat like a pig you will be a look like one =P

Get atleast 1200 calories a day. Starving just leads to epic binging that will totally rape any progress you just made by starving almost instantly, and its not healthy.

Eat a big breakfast, smaller lunch, and little to no dinner. And the secret to surviving off this is eating right.

PROTEIN. Gets it. If you consume enough protein you will not be hungry, or only hungry enough to eat something small when dinner rolls around. Eat lots of eggs and stuff high in protein. Or eat one of those Snickers Marathon Protein Bars. Those are CRACK, they are DELICIOUS and have LOTS of protein. Eating those really kills the hunger, and they're not full of junk either. Eating these in place of lunch/dinner or a junkfood snack does wonders.

Of course cut down a lot or just cut out sodas. Diet sodas may have no calories but consuming enough will fuck over your colon or brain later on in life, so they're not really healthy, even if they have no calories. Avoid aspartame and other sweetners.

Sugar is better for you then any sweetner, just use it in moderation.

If you want to really cut it out, replace sugar with natural Agave necter. This stuff is GOLD and when enough is mixed in it tastes just like sugar, but its not sugar and its NATURAL so it's good.

However whatever kind of necter they are selling at walmart is DISGUSTING. The kind my mom's friend gave her is good but I got the walmart kind and my mom put it in tea and it was DISGUSTING, and I have no idea if she put too much in there or not but normally she puts it in tea and it tastes just like sugar, so I need to learn what kind her friend gets thats good.

PT told me cutting out sugars is really key.

Taking vitamins helps me get a lot more energy too.

Generally just eat healthy, and cut down on manmade substances and processed foods and all that crap as much as you can. If you eat very healthy you will need less food because you are getting enough nutrition and you'll lose weight faster. Seriously this is the KEY. It does you no good to excercise for 2 hours and go eat a 670 calorie muffin. Food is the key to weight loss.

As for excercising, strength training (weights) with cardio is good. Cardio alone again can be in vain, or is in vain most of the time. Your muscles after doing weights continue to burn fat throughout the day, however cardio only burns fat DURING the excercise, once you are done wwith cardio, you no longer have any benefits.

... DDR is good too XD

And atleast 30 mins of excercise per day is good for you health wise so just get some activity daily, even if its on your days off from the gym/strength training/whatever. Go for a walk, clean house, do something.

I read a really interesting article awhile back that was all about how eating was the secret of weight loss, and how just keeping active by like vacuming and cleaning house, mowing the lawn with a push mower, etc. just normal daily activites can burn more calories then going to the gym (and then eating some really yummy snack like a lot of people tend to do and totally undermine the workout).

. tumblr
    . mfc .
    . ask for FB or AIM/Skype .
    . psn squeesax . 3DS FC: 3797-6626-6957 .

On the cosplay cruise! MoonNeko's Avatar

Breakfast is the MOST important meal of the day as well, I know most of America skips out on breakfast, but honestly, you body NEEDS it to get started in the morning. Most likely when you skip breakfast, you pack on the food for lunch and dinner cause you're soo god damn hungry. I'm a breakfast person myself, so I usually never have this problem xDDD

And actually eating healthy is of coarse good for you, but like with everything, you still have to control your portions. I suck suck suck balls as this, but I'm attempting to get better. My sis and I are dead set on losing this weight before Fanime and Otakon next year. We wanna be super hot babes for the summer :D I wish it could of been this year, but hey, gotta have something to aim for!!!

I wish I could do normal things that most people can do, like incredibly hard cardio like running, playing sports, but sadly I have asthma and can't really do these things, not even just a LITTLE bit to get my heart rate up, because I won't be able to breath for a long while afterwords, have to take my inhaler, and lose valuable workout time because I have to rest so I can breath. having asthma SUCK SOOOO MUCH, but I'm not gonna let it stop me from getting into shape. I was there once, I KNOW it has to be possible to get there again O_O

When I started losing weight, first of all I watched my calorie intake. I allowed myself 1200 a day (which is as low as you can go and still be healthy.) I lived by this park, so everyday after work I would go walk twice around it (three miles in all). I didn't run, and when I started I walked only once around. I started in Feb, I would walk everyday except Friday and Sat. I think it also helped that I worked at the school and constantly lifted 50-80 pound kids all day. I would give myself little treats, because I am addicted to chocolate, so a couple of the little bite sized snickers were great. Back then I switched to diet Dr Pepper, I have since cut that out altogether. I weighed 185 when I started. I've been able to keep it off for two years now. I am very paranoid about gaining it back, so I still watch what I eat. I'm down at a weight I am happy with, but I seriously need toning.

Just remember to go slow, it took over a year to reach my goal.

On the cosplay cruise! MoonNeko's Avatar

I know I was at LEAST up to 185+, and right now I'm bordering around 160-164 weight wise, so I'm FUCKING THRILLED. I mean, I KNOW how disgusting I looked, I felt embarrassed to be cosplaying but at the same time I didn't want to be left out =_=;;

Walking is soo sooo good for you, I wish I could get it through my thick head to get my sorry pitiful self out and walk. Next week , I know I keep saying that, but I mean it. I HAVE TO START =_=; This last week there was SOO MUCH GOD DAMN RAIN ARGHHH!!!!!! DX!!!!

Also I need to hook up the DDR pads, I mean, it's the only thing I got to keep from my last relationship that he actually wanted back XD AHAHAAHAH FUCK HIM they're MINE!!!!! So yeah, I have 4 pairs of Nami shoes and I'm gonna have NICE SHAPELY LEGS to show them off god damn it.

Seriously don't worry about trying to run or jog a bunch, just start walking. As time goes on you'll be able to increase your pace and you'll start burning decent calories in a 20-30 minute period. I get winded super easily so I can't jog a lot, I usually jog for like a minute or two periodicaly in my walks just for kicks but I can't do more then that.

If you have breathing or heart trouble and you're not sure what to do they have trainers that tailor excercises to your needs, though in most cases its the diet plan thats the most crucial thing. I've got a couple of diet plans that hospitals use to help cardio surgery patients drop weight on a dime that are probably good for a little boost but if you try to lose all your weight with this method it will probably lead to rebound =X and it doesn't sound tasty.

I don't have asthma but I've never been able to breathe very well and theres really nothing I can do about it but not push myself over the top and just keep building up my stamina, it gets a bit easier every week to go longer and/or faster.

I watch my intake more then portions, if the calories are good or its something full of protein/healthy I don't care too much, because if I get the majority/all of my calories out of breakfast and lunch I'm generally set the rest of the day. Trying to keep it to where I won't be horribly set back on those random occasions I decided to go out and eat a big dinner (steak mmmmmm <3).

. tumblr
    . mfc .

I am agonizing right now! I am suppose to go to lunch with a friend. We are eating at applebee's because they are doing their 2 for 20 dollar thing. Good price...but fuuuuuu! All of the stuff for the entrees are over 500 calories. Some of them even reaching 1000 calories. The one I want the most is 830 calories. Luckily I have had it before and it is huge, so I think I will just put some of it in a to go box before eating any of it. But I nearly cried when I saw how many calories each thing has. Seriously holy crap.

image credit to Fleur. <3

DA LJ twitter

Why don't you get something off the weight watchers menu? I swear they had things that were 380.

Then just don't junk out the rest of the day. Eat a big lunch of something healthy off the menu and you'll be ok.

You didn't eat a 1000 calorie breakfast did you? You don't really need to freak out over calories as long as you are eating good food. Lol though I make it my policy only to be picky over dinner unless I plan ahead on eating a huge meal at night ahead of time.

. tumblr
    . mfc .

guh how do you guys even know the calories for all this stuff. i swear. how annoying to have to do math in order to eat stuff. I have a high metabolism. if I don't get my carbs I;m HUNGRY

A lot of restaraunt will provide nutrional information if you ask. Otherwise just look it up online.

DA LJ twitter

BEST! BREAST!! CON-TEST!!! dirt monkey AL's Avatar

brunt grunt, you're an ass

you looked fantastic way before you started working out so I DUN WANNA HEAR IT

Been walking with my co-worker every morning, going down an incredibly steep hill, and then having to walk back up it. And I already have had pop mostly cut out of my diet before this anyway. It didn't seem to do much for the first few weeks, but I've been slowly losing the weight, and I'm down about seven or eight pounds now.

Also, three meals a day is not the solution. It should be about five or six small meals a day. Pack some small snack bags with you, and if you get hungry, just munch on them. I like doing little packs of almonds, soy nuts, and dried cranberries, and putting them in my work backpack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    And when this manga closes out, and Luffy's arm stretches back to deliver that last punch, I wanna feel the crunch of the dream coming true.

I have to get fit as well, so I could do more chars. I would like to do White Beard, but at my current physique I would look better as Jimbei or Moria. It's all possible it will just take time.

Quote Originally Posted by omnichild View Post
    A lot of restaraunt will provide nutrional information if you ask. Otherwise just look it up online.
    so you have to figure out what your getting before you leave the house, or wait for them to bring you the nutritional information before you can even look at the menu @_@

I'm not trying to be annoying, it just sounds like a lot of work to me and you seem to have it all figured out. :P

Eating lots of vegetables is extremely important. They are low cal, most of the time, and your body needs many neutrients from them. Having snack veggies is a great way to lose weight as you won't eat junk foods between meals and you'll fill up on less calories.

A balanced diet and regular exercise is the key way of losing weight. If you bring your lunch to work and school as well as eat homecooked meals for breakfast and dinner your life will be much better. For one thing you can regulate how many calories you eat, you spend less money and you can make sure they are balanced meals. Don't try to starve yourself but don't eat too much.

This is what I've learned in my research to the best ways to lose weight. It's easier to exercise if you create a routine and work with another person. Plus, if you enjoy the exercise you do, you're more likely to keep at it. The thing you have to watch out for is eating after exercising. Often times, people go for high calorie foods putting back what they'd just worked off.

I personally have a hard time keeping with my routines. I'd keep at it for about two weeks then break them too often. I'm trying to get back on it but it's hard to restart. Here's hoping I can kick myself into gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by dinty
    Robin's in handcuffs; Ace is in chains; Zoro's a Loli-Goth's pet dog/slave; Sanji's been attacked by transvestites and an entire clan has just dropped their drawers for Brook.

In one small chapter, Oda made OP's doujin community completely redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by captain usopp View Post
    so you have to figure out what your getting before you leave the house, or wait for them to bring you the nutritional information before you can even look at the menu @_@

I'm not trying to be annoying, it just sounds like a lot of work to me and you seem to have it all figured out. :P
    Hahaha yes you would have to figure it out before leaving the house or wait until the bring you the information. XD I usually know what I am going to get from a restaraunt before I get it anyway so it is easy for me to look it up.

However if you don't want to look it up before hand or wait for them to bring it out you can guess the calories in a dish by comparing it to similar dishes that you do know the caloric intake. That or just avoid going to restaraunts unless they are on your "free" day.

DA LJ twitter

I know Applebees prints the calorie count on atleast their Weight Watchers stuff on their menus, and I do know you can ask them and they can bring a menu that lists the calorie content of each dish. I'm sure you can do that at a lot of sit down restaurants now, hell you can even get it at McDonalds. Just ask and they might be able to bring it to you.

I am usually hungry ALL THE FREAKIN TIME if I do not eat right, but if I eat a lot of veggies and foods with protein, I am way less hungry. Like I can go without dinner I'm full enough. Protein for breakfast can really keep you going. If you eat enough protein and get enough nutrients you will not need to eat as much because your body has what it needs to function.

But of course how much you need to eat depends on your body (like some people have rocket metabolisms, diabetic, hyper glycemic, etc.) and of course your diet preference.

Someone vegetarian and especially vegan will need to eat A LOT, if not 5-6 small meals a day or so to get what nutrition they need from their diet compared to someone eating meat and dairy (though too much red meat is bad, don't eat a lot a lot of it, eat chicken XD too much pork is bad too, its very fatty). So how much YOU need to eat depends on you.

If I eat right, I can survive on a lot less (and feel much better) then I do when I'm eating and drinking a bunch of junk. I know someone who's metabolism is just insane and if they don't eat for 5 horses a day they can not function/hyper glycemic borderlining on full blown diabetes. And if you're diabetic you DEFINATELY have to eat.

Don't stress out over it, turn it into a fun experiment. Figure out what portions and foods work for your body and what don't. But really, protein makes you less hungry and less likely to snack if you get enough.

Don't stress out over calories and what not, control your portions. If you stress out over it long enough, eventually you'll convince yourself that its just too much of a hassle and you'll fall back onto old habits. Or become paranoid and possibly develop an eating disorder. One of those. But really, stressing out over it is BAD.

. tumblr
    . mfc .

Dark Kaomi brings me to the question, how do you figure out calorie count for food you make yourself. You gotta look at all the packages, of everything you use and figure it out. and what about things you don't really measure. like if I'm cooking pancakes from scratch; does baking powder or flour even have calories? and I used a bit of oil for frying them, but I didn't measure. That's gotta count for something.

I honestly just look it up online. And kinda guess from there. I don't let it stress me out too much. I also tend to make the amount higher than what it probably is so that way I won't eat too many calories. I know some recipes even have their own nutrional information on it.

DA LJ twitter

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information