+ Reply to Thread
Page 344 of 344 FirstFirst ... 244 294 334 342 343 344
Results 6,861 to 6,876 of 6876

Thread: Disney animation thread

Default Re: Disney animation thread

The Lion king is the only movie where I don't understand the making it "live-action" thing.

And it has nothing to do with the story being so perfect or the great talent. It's just that real animals are not as expressive as fake ones and we are making a conscious effort to use those animals and make them this beast that are harder to read. I can understand remaking it but using a less expressive medium seems strange. It's like remaking the anthropomorphic Robin hood with real animals to me. It's bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Yeah, the only thing that might make me at all interested is seeing John Oliver as Zazu. Even though they could have easily just gotten Rowen Attkinson to reprise the role.
    They probably couldn't actually, as he seems very much like he doesn't want to do the character. He hasn't provided the voice for anything since the original movie. Not for the park rides, the sequels, either of the tv series, cameos, any of the video games... nothing.

Compare that to Pumbaa, where Ernie Sabella is the only one to have done the role (outside of a skating video game?) Or Timone. Nathan Lane hasn't done every appearance of Timone, but he's done at least a chunk, including the first season of the tv series and specials and such, and still talks about the role and throws out Hakuna Matata all over the place and actually complained he wasn't invited on for the new movie, but Jones was.

(And James Woods is thus far, still the only voice for Hades in anything... except for one line of a single song in a House of Mouse thing... I'm sure he would have been up for it but they couldn't justify bringing him in and paying him for literally one line)
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

James Woods loves playing Hades, and if he's up for it I'm all for it.

But yeah, Nathan Lane too is still perfectly good and as far as I know isn't against doing voice work. But he shouldn't complain about James Earl Jones, if he's not voicing Mufasa it sounds weird.

All this talk about recurring voice talent for the Lion King, and I can only think of the Hungarian voice of Mufasa not being alive anymore sadly. He had the perfect voice too for the role. One more reason to stick with the original.
    As much as I've grown over the years, the more and more I appreciate good animation, and more I can pause and enjoy the art of it regardless of story, music or anything. I remember feeling disappointed when I found out animation was just many pictures following each other, so it was never really "moving" in a strict sense. I've grown to adore the work and magic behind the process though.

Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar

Thought this might be of interest:

Hour long interview with Bill Kroyer (prob best known for directing FernGully). It spawned off the back of a look back at the nineties pitfall game the interviewer did a few months ago, where the sprites in that game were made in conjunction with Bill's animation studio (much like the Mega Drive/Genesis version of Aladdin where Virgin partnered with Disney). Interesting stuff, but it only actually makes up about a third of the interview, and the bulk of it is more Bill's career, Disney and Tron. The Tron stuff is particularly fascinating to me, they'd render CG scenes a maximum of twice, leaving the animators with only one pass to fix any mistakes noticed in the initial render.

I finally got caught up with Tangled the series. I will say that I'm enjoying Season 2 a lot more then I did Season 1. I like that Eugene is getting a lot of character development this season with the introduction of Stalyan. I'm also interested to see where the story with Adira is going.

Hidden:

Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar

Looks about as awful as I expected.

Dude playing Jafar in particular. No zing to his lines at all. Especially when you compare it to the 90's one:

Now that's good villainage. I'm sure it'll make the megabucks either way though

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstorm View Post
    I'm sure it'll make the megabucks either way though
    Not necessarily, depending on how much Islamophobia this country still has.

I'm more concerned by the fact that Iago is apparently not speaking.

Also, I think there was a Fresh Prince of Bel-Air reference there, but I am not sure.

Hidden:

They put em in Smash Bros! Conekiller's Avatar

I saw a report that said Alan Tudyk is Iago in this.

Disney REALLY likes this guy.
    [
    Please visit my Deviant art gallery.
    There will be Punch and Pie!

Getting Alan casted still doesn't necessarily mean Iago will be speaking. But Iago didn't really say much outside of Parroting in the beginning.

Jafar's delivery bothers me too. Hes far less dramatic, menacing and devious sounding. Like we should know he's evil right off the bat. This take is too underwhelming.

Jafar lack presence. I don't need him to sound evil(it can easily be something the chracters realize later) but I really need him to have a commending voice. He sounds too much like a swindler when he should feel always in charge.

Hmmm, not as bad as I thought. Let's break it down.

The Good:
    The costumes and backgrounds look fabulous.
    The magic looks perfectly magic-y.
    The actors who play Aladdin and Jasmine can at least sing very well.
    Will Smith actually wasn't as bad as I thought he might be. He looks like he's having fun, and at the least he's being HIM, and not trying to copy Robin Williams. Because nobody can be Robin Williams. And the blue skin thing still looks bad, but it looks like he won't always be blue? Was it always like that or have they gone back and taken it off more because people complained?

The Bad:
    Jafar really is lacking. We've only gotten a little bit of him, but so far he's not nearly dastardly enough. Which is a big thing, because a Disney movie without a great villain doesn't fly.
    Not sure I'm feeling Aladdin or Jasmine quite yet. Singing yes, but acting? Not sure yet.

So yeah, it wasn't as bad as I feared. I'm not giddy with excitement, but I might give it a chance now. I'll have to see reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Conekiller View Post
    I saw a report that said Alan Tudyk is Iago in this.

Disney REALLY likes this guy.
    Nothing wrong with that. Alan Tudyk is awesome. He can become the modern day Sterling Holloway.

I'm liking Will Smith's "cool" take on the Genie's humor and the movie's focus on Aladdin's agility. Seems like they're trying to do their own thing while making sure to hit the major beats. That's the best way to go. Overall, the trailer sold me on the concept. No, it probably won't be better than the animated movie, but that's okay. As long as its a good movie.

NNID: jervinnectar

Hm, wasn't so bad imo. There's (hopefully) a lot more scenes of Will Smith being in human form opposed to that blue nightmare. (I chuckled at the Prince joke, OG Genie had humor that was out of Aladdin's time period as well).

However I wish they picked someone else for Jafar.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information