+ Reply to Thread
Page 352 of 353 FirstFirst ... 252 302 342 350 351 352 353 LastLast
Results 7,021 to 7,040 of 7055

Thread: Disney animation thread

Default Re: Disney animation thread

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    It only just occurred to me that this is GUY RITCHIE directing this, when he has no experience with fantasy
    Actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Oh yeah, there is that. But that movie also got bad reviews, so maybe it's an indication that he's not good at such a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Tbat backs up Satsuki's point though.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Eh, looks about as good as Beauty and the Beast did, though I'll take Will-Genie over Evans Gaston any day of the week.

Tbat backs up Satsuki's point though.
    Hey it's not Guy Ritchie's fault people are kind of getting tired of fantasy movies involving King Arthur and Robin Hood.......which Hollywood can't help but make new version of every few damn years.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

If we could get a GOOD King Arthur or Robin Hood movie, we'd all eat it up.

A bollywood Alladin could be fun they have their own energy. That I might go see.

Even if it's a remake of the animated I'm sure it can be a good experience. Leave it to the new kids not your jaded old selves that already experienced it differently.Humans have their different experessivity and it's introducing it to a new audience.

I love the Mummy with Brandon Frasier but someone that saw the original(which I never saw) might think is a mockery. I'll never watch the new beauty in the beast because the original is perfect to me and I wouldn't be able to give the new one a fair shake.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfDarkness View Post
    Forget that, how the hell did someone think it would be a good idea to make this into a live-action?
    Because the last several live action remakes have made about a billion dollars each, even if they were garbage. That's why someone thought it would be a good idea.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Hey it's not Guy Ritchie's fault people are kind of getting tired of fantasy movies involving King Arthur and Robin Hood.......which Hollywood can't help but make new version of every few damn years.
    People aren't tired of them. There just hasn't been a good version of either property in decades making it worth the energy, or to reinvigorate it in any way. The last Robin Hood that was any sort of big deal, mostly due to how much advertising they put in, was Prince of Thieves in 91, and while it made a lot of money, people didn't ACTUALLY like it at all because it was dark and depressing and had almost none of the source material actually in it. (not counting Men In Tights cause parody) and the last GOOD one was the Disney one in 73, and Robin and Marian with Connery and Hepburn as old versions of the characters in 76. Heck, the BEST version of Robin hood is still the 39 version with Errol Flynn... but that obviously suffers from being 80 years old. There's also been an okay tv series or two. And the last good Arthur film was probably Excalibur in 1981, not counting the dozen film versions of Conneticut Yankee in Arthur's court. Can't even point to the Disney version since that focused only on pulling the sword and none of the grown up stuff.

The stories are super old and well worn and you can't do them quite the way they've always been done, you'll run into similar problems trying to work with the Lone Ranger or The Shadow. You have to update it somehow, but you have to update it RIGHT. ANd the general approach has either been to go super straightforward childish story, or make it bleak grimdark, and that's not what anyone wants.

If you'd thrown Peter Jackson at it right after he did LotR, he might have done something that captured the proper feel and balance.

People still go crazy for Sherlock Holmes and that's been remade plenty. It had multipe different versions running at almost the same time recently. (Sherlock, Elementary, Downey films, McKellen film, House)
    Last edited by Robby; May 17th, 2019 at 02:23 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post

People aren't tired of them. There just hasn't been a good version of either property in decades making it worth the energy, or to reinvigorate it in any way. The last Robin Hood that was any sort of big deal, mostly due to how much advertising they put in, was Prince of Thieves in 91, and people didn't ACTUALLY like it at all because it was dark and depressing and had almost none of the source material actually in it. (not counting Men In Tights cause parody) and the last GOOD one was the Disney one in 73, and Robin and Marian with Connery and Hepburn as old versions of the characters in 76. Heck, the BEST version of Robin hood is still the 39 version with Errol Flynn... but that obviously suffers from being 80 years old. There's also been an okay tv series or two. And the last good Arthur film was probably Excalibur in 1981, not counting the dozen film versions of Conneticut Yankee in Arthur's court. Can't even point to the Disney version since that focused only on pulling the sword and none of the grown up stuff.
    Welp Disney's going to remake those two aren't they?

Sword I believe is on the list. I don't think Robin Hood is (live action furries would float like a balloon with general audiences). They're also aren't remaking their Sherlock film either.

But as for Hollywood's problem with making Robin and Arthur work, well...

They already remade Robin Hood. It's called "Zootopia". A very loose remake, mind you, but it was the spiritual sequel at the very least.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Because the last several live action remakes have made about a billion dollars each, even if they were garbage. That's why someone thought it would be a good idea.
    I guess you are right after all every single one has made a bill-

Dumbo Live Action Budget

$170 million[4]
    $344.6 million

Nevermind...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Krupp View Post
    I guess you are right after all every single one has made a bill-

Dumbo Live Action Budget

$170 million[4]
    $344.6 million

Nevermind...
    Context dude. The other remakes were greenlit and nearly finished before Dumbo came out.

1. Alice, B&tB, Malificent, Jungle Book all made between 800 million and 1.3 billion, and Cinderella did 550 million. Pete's Dragon is the only real flop of the lot, and no one cared about the old one.
    2. Dumbo got mostly bad reviews, is based on an 80 year old movie instead of a 30 year old one, and isn't nearly as beloved as Aladdin and Lion King to modern audiences, which are coming shortly. Lion King is almost certain to do well no matter how bad it is, just like Beauty and the Beast did. Aladdin isn't as much of a guarantee since historically the animated version didn't do as well on home video after 9-11 and was even taken off the disney Platinum line until Robin Willaims died.
    3, Avengers Endgame came out and killed anything that wasn't Detective Pikachu for the last month.
    Last edited by Robby; May 17th, 2019 at 03:24 AM.

Context dude. The other remakes were greenlit and nearly finished before Dumbo came out.

1. Alice, B&tB, Malificent, Jungle Book all made between 800 million and 1.3 billion, and Cinderella did 550 million. Pete's Dragon is the only real flop of the lot, and no one cared about the old one.
    2. Dumbo got mostly bad reviews, is based on an 80 year old movie instead of a 30 year old one, and isn't nearly as beloved as Aladdin and Lion King to modern audiences, which are coming shortly. Lion King is almost certain to do well no matter how bad it is, just like Beauty and the Beast did. Aladdin isn't as much of a guarantee since historically the animated version didn't do as well on home video after 9-11 and was even taken off the disney Platinum line until Robin Willaims died.
    3, Avengers Endgame came out and killed anything that wasn't Detective Pikachu for the last month.
    Well, I REALLY hope either (Or Both!) Aladdin and The Lion King flop. Because we need some damn originality back!

While I dont like Dan Scanlon, his movie about his father's voice promises to be if not good, at least more heartfelt and original.

I'm fine with them doing endless remakes. I just want them to do a good job with them instead of soulless inferior cash grabs.

Both Aladdin and Lion King seem like they're going to be shot for shot remakes... and inferior in every single way while they're at it.

Hard pass on both.

Maybe Mulan will be okay.
    Mulan is already so different it may as well be something else entirely. A witch. No Shang. No singing. Why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    Mulan is already so different it may as well be something else entirely. A witch. No Shang. No singing. Why bother?
    I'd rather they give me something different and somewhat fresh than a scene by scene remake, because what is the point of that?

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
    I'd rather they give me something different and somewhat fresh than a scene by scene remake, because what is the point of that?
    I'd rather they not bother with remakes at all.

Outside of how catchy "Make a Man Out of You" was, Mulan was only barely a musical in the first place with only 4 songs, totaliing about 10 minutes out of a 90 minute film.

Compared to Mermaid or B&TB's 8 songs (counting reprises) that went for 20 minutes in an 80 minute film. Aladdin's 7 songs that went for 17 minutes, Lion King's 5 big show stoppers songs equaling almost 20 minutes? Hunchback having THIRTY ONE minutes of singing while the plot moved along?

1 of the songs was even in-universe as an actual song being sung as opposed to a "musical" moment. It wasn't a film with big glossy show stopping full of dancers, lets have a big villain song and lets have a love song affair... the songs were just sort of there because they were expected, not because anything int he format of the movie called for them. Had Mulan come after Tarzan I bet they would have gone the same route that did and just have the soundtrack music as opposed to song numbers.

Losing them is absolutely no big deal in this case, and the original movie would probably have actually been stronger with 10 more minutes to actually movie. On the other hand, Lion King ditching Be Prepared seems like a huge waste and is probably a testament to the bland color pallete and CG not allowing the animals to act.

And no Shang isn't a big deal either, he was kind of a blank piece of cardboard for Mulan to crush on. Any generic officer can serve much the same role. Or take the "romance" subplot out entirely since it was pretty nonexistent as well and was just sort of there by token.

I'd rather they not bother with remakes at all.
    Better an actual new take creating an actual new movie, than just a soulless inferior rehash of the old version that you can compare shot for shot and see how it lacks every step of the way. At least something DIFFERENT has a reason to exist other than cash grab.
    Last edited by Robby; May 17th, 2019 at 04:05 PM.

Looks like we got more news about the Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers movie.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...edium=referral

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information