View Poll Results: Which forum software do you prefer?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Invision Power Boards, willing to donate

1 4.55%
  • Invision Power Boards, not willing

5 22.73%
  • vBulletin, willing to donate

5 22.73%
  • vBulletin, not willing

11 50.00%
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: IPB or vB? Willing to donate?

The reasoning behind this is well, IPB is lacking a few things that I want to do, not just for personal use but for the entire forum as well. Lately, as some of you know, I've been trying to add a few things to these forums and well, the experience so far has been like trying to plug in a gamecube controller into an xbox. Needless to say, it's failed on multiple counts.

So the question is now, would you guys prefer we stick with IPB, which is the forum you all are used to or vB, a new different forum software which I doubt many of you have experience using.(Correct me if I'm wrong of course) If we stick with IPB, we still need to update forum software to prevent possible risks with the current outdated software, and updating would then require money(Around 185 for lifetime license). If we chose to switch to vB, it would require a forum switch, which simply put, means that the forum will look different and work slightly differently. The vB lifetime license is 165 roughly but it requires a 30 dollar fee after the first year if you wish to continue to get their support and update of their forums.

As a second point, sticking with IPB will bring some new features once we update but the mods system is still a bitch from what I can tell and don't expect much in the form of new mods. vB will also have new features, it's greatest strength going for it right now being that mods are much easier to install, infact, it's pretty much as simple as just uploading a file and enabling it.

More information can be found at each site, http://invisionboard.com and http://vbulletin.com

On the topic of donating, this is simply a question on how many of you are willing to donate for the cause, you're in no way required to donate, but of course, every penny will help, not to mention donations will allow me to get the boards faster, if I'm to pay for the whole thing myself, don't expect the new upgrades anytime soon.

So, hopefully now that I've covered the important spots, please vote in this poll and tell me what you guys think.

P.S.
    If a switch to vB is made, no posts or topics will be lost, I can't stress that enough.

As an administrator, I'd like to stress that this forum has had a few... well...
    debilitating bugs.

Mr Anderson, How Amusing thelousy's Avatar

both forum looks roughly the same and stuff. but i believe vb is able to do much more then ipb. i'll support the vb but sorry since i'm still a teen. i can't donate.
    Signature removed by Pepsi. (I was Pepsified. xD)

Hmm... I like both forum softwares just fine so I'm not voting either way, but I'll chip in to help pay for whatever you decide to run with. I love this place and am more than happy to help out.

While on the subject, I've always wondered why we don't have a donation system to cover hosting.

And you can dream - So dream out loud
    normyk's chocolate blog!

i'd put in a couple bucks either way. just move it if you think it'll be better.

ooshi78
    "Listen, you can send a stripper to my party if you like. It won't affect me because, as you can see, I am appearing naked, which I always try to do because I'm kind of a natural guy."

-kermit the frog

the main point of this poll is to see whether or not you guys mind refamiliarizing yourself with the new layout.

As for donations, I look down on asking for donations through an ad, but I suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea in this situation(a paypal link that is)

I vote for SMF! >.>
    http://simplemachines.org/
    It's free and very customizable... Lots of free mods.

Originally posted by oceanizer@Jul 1 2005, 12:59 PM
    I vote for SMF! >.>
    http://simplemachines.org/
    It's free and very customizable... Lots of free mods.
    [snapback]81444[/snapback]
    Ooh, that's the one you use right? That one is really nice too. And what better price than free? :lol:

And you can dream - So dream out loud
    normyk's chocolate blog!

going by that definition, then IPB at the moment would be perfectly fine.
    Sorry ocean, I refuse to work with SMF. =\

EDIT: There is now a donation button, you can find it at the bottom of the forums next to where you chose your skins.

Why? :/ I think you told me before, but forgot the reason...
    Many people are starting to use SMF previously known as YaBB and their tech support is really good.

But well, if not SMF, I'd vote for IPB. I don't really like vB.

I do remember telling you that it was YaBB before, and yes I have seen it around more often, though I can't recall why or if I even knew why =\

The main reason I'm agaisnt this is I don't see the capabilities of SMF to be near IPB or vB, nor do I really trust SMF as far as security goes.

I would definitely say vBulletin since it is just so superior to Invision.
    Unfortunately though, I wouldn't be able to donate. :(

What about phpbb? It's free (open-source), and apparently pretty widely used, perhaps you can find the extensions you need elsewhere.

Another site I frequent (forums.gideontech.com) uses it, and it can support a 5000+ member - 200,000 post community well.

phpBB is definately a no no. It's worse than SMF from past experience x_x

Well the only forum other then this one that I´ve been posting on for five years now used vBulletin and it was a really good software. It actually took me some time to get used to the software of this forum but now I like it to.

The only forum feature that I liked better here was the back to back quote feature. You know when I for instance write a quote reply to someone who´s written another quote reply to another person. Call me insane but I liked that feature and I wouldn´t like to see it go.

Other then that I can´t say anything out positive nor negative about Invision Power Board because I have zero experience with it. So since my opinion would be biased I don´t think I should vote on that poll. :(

Hmm, I've only had experience with IPB, so my say would/might be biased as well. However, I'm willing to try out vB. Doesn't sound like it's too bad. Although, I'm afraid I can't donate. :\ Sorry.

I believe the version of phpBB that is undergoing development now will be much better than the old one and can perhaps compete with IPB.

For now, I'll vote for VB but I don't think I have the bucks to spare, sorry...

Oh ocean, I think you need to upgrade your forums someday as well ;)

I DEFINITELY support a move to vB. vB is so much more easier to work with in my experience and has fairly reliable security (phpBB, uhh, no way, I help out with a phpBB board and it gets spammed all the time :lol: ).

Plus I get paid on Tuesday so that'd be cool to fork up a few bucks for :)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .Credo quia absurdum non credere. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

baki

Can I just add that you can only have one forum per license.
    So what are you going to do with animemedia.org? or are you going to buy two licenses.
    Also I remembering offering you guys VB but sadly turned down.
    Great forum either way.

I'd go with vB....it's got more features and easier handling.
    But iPB is easier to navigate...is it?

Closed Thread

Thread Information