+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 60 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: General Ninja Turtles thread

Lady Gaga? Take notes. Rebecky_Mo's Avatar

Default Re: Nickelodeon buys the Ninja Turtles

Quote Originally Posted by King Calamari View Post
    Apparently they want the new series to be in the same vein as the 80's show. I hope they get James Avery to be the voice of Shredder again.
    Okay, this?

VERY MUCH DO NOT WANT.

Don't get me wrong, I have love for the 80's Turtles, MUCH LOVE; it was great and cheesy and fun. But I want the franchise to move FORWARD, with NEW stuff.

So...what does this mean for the comics?

Apparently they want the new series to be in the same vein as the 80's show.
    ...and so, my expectations were confirmed.

PREPARE FOR SHIT!
    この世に悪があるとすればそれは人の心だ。

http://plairdblog.blogspot.com/

comics are essentially done (Laird claims that he has an ending in mind and would like to get to it...but he doesn't know if it is even possible).

Also, the cartoon is supposed to resemble Iron Man Armored Adventures (ew).

Jim Lawsons blog has noted that Peter has retained the right to do 18 TMNT comics a year. Peter himself hasnt said this yet, but it seems a reasonable provision to have in the contracts, and it eases the big worry, the fate of the original mirage material and the lingering stories.

Most years they don't even have 18 issues, so it won't be all that jarring, really.

It means volume 4 can keep coming out. Tales can keep coming out. ANd presumably Forever War should still be fine and good to go. (And this might also shed new light on the decision to switch it from a 5 parter to a thicker 3 parter but with the same ammount of story pages, as announced a couple months ago.)

So really, its kinda the same ol' status quo. A new company will be throwing out a cartoon and movies and toys and tie ins... and Mirage still has the option of producing comics that no one buys. (They've been barely making/losing money pretty much every issue. The numbers have been pretty low for a long time.)

And also everyone there got a split of 50 million dollars, so I guess they're good to retire, if they want.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar

If they want to increase their circulation, they need to sell their comics to places other than specialty stores.

I can't get Atomic Robo anywhere but online. If I could get TMNT at Costco, I would buy every comic I could from there.

But I'm not so passionate that I'd go to another city's comic shop just to buy a comic. Or even get it online...that's a pretty big hassle as-is.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    Making Anime and Manga OBSOLETE since 2006
    PM me for details

Thats the comic industry in general though. Distrubution, and the distributor, are problematic for a whole variety of reasons I don't feel like getting into right now because its late and I could ramble about it for hours.

Marvel and DC hardly even get into newstands. No independant has the power or ability to get into a wider market place and are restricted to specialty stores.

Theres a whole ot of vicious circle stuff going on with comics. Its a headache.
    Last edited by Robby; October 23rd, 2009 at 12:25 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

^
    If you want a good laugh, then, I could send you one of the talkback pages of The New Teen Titans talking about the switch to direct and how it will be the BEST THING EVER.

Oh, btw, since NTT was the first book to do this, comics were still widely available. NTT was in direct and newstand, but than stopped and stayed direct only.

We are just that damn maji Dragon Warrior Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by taboo View Post
    They're planning to make a new TMNT CG series
    Apparently they want the new series to be in the same vein as the 80's show. I hope they get James Avery to be the voice of Shredder again.
    This is for the people that said Nick might treat it right because "they make good shows like Avatar and Wolverine."

A Pocketful of Coins Captain Hypersock's Avatar
    Swipe your card and enter your PIN to continue.

...Ok, just as long as the word "dude" doesn't become drinking game fodder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijnn. View Post
    Captain Hypersock is now the coolest person in the world.

This is a fairly smart move by Nickelodeon; with Disney acquiring Marvel and Time-Warner already owning DC and having a good business relationship with Lucasfilm (I doubt that'll change any time soon; Lucas wants The Clones Wars to run at least a hundred episodes and keeping Lucas happy will pay off handsomely whenever his companies finally make the move over into major production of animated films), there really aren't all that many major boy-friendly franchises out there to grab hold off.

Now, as to how well they'll do with it... I have my doubts. Nicktoons has two of the best animated action shows ever in Wolverine and the X-Men and Avatar, but Wolverine doesn't have much or any presence on Nick itself and their execs all but buried Avatar towards the end. So the really goofy, superhero parody route seems much more likely than even something like the 2003 series.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Hrm. It occurs to me that Avatar cost 1 million dollars an episode, and it ran for 61 episodes, so thus, 61 mill. (Not counting whatever is going into the movie.) I have no idea how much they made in ad revenue or dvd or magazine sales on Avatar when all is said and done.

They bought Turtles for 60 million. Just to START using the property, is costing them basically as much as Avatar cost to make from start to finish.

Hrm. Just a strange coincidence, i know. But it does say something about the percieved value.

A million dollars for a single episode? Do you have a source for that

Treasure Cruise ID: 785,854,335
    LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

That number gets bandied around a lot, but rarely ever gets sourced. My guess is that's an upper limit on what an episode cost as it's hard to believe that every episode cost that much. Something like the Ember Island Players ought to have been relatively cheap to something like Day of the Black Sun and I can't see a season one episode costing the same as an episode from season three.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by taboo View Post
    A million dollars for a single episode? Do you have a source for that
    Off the top of my head I can't point to anything official from the creators mouth source to point to, especially since its been a couple years now since Avatar was a hot topic and old stories and threads are harder to find, but its a number that gets used consistently when Avatar is talked about in reviews and such, and while its possible its just an urban myth, its used pretty consistently, and it sounds right to me as thats actually a pretty common ammount for tv shows per episode, though it is a bit high for a half hour animation.

Scripted shows tend to go anywhere from 1-5 million.

Hidden:

Some examples, and these can be attributed through google and things)
    Studio 60 cost 2.5 mill an episode, and I think West Wing before it was crazy, like 3.5 mill per episode. (of course, those were hour shows with high profile actors and sets lots of camera works and scripting etc.) By the end of its run, Friends was getting all 6 cast members 1 million an ep, or.. 6 million dollars before anything else was done. Frasier got 1.6 mill an episode just for the star. As Simpsons enters the 20th season, each of the 6 main voice actors are getting paid 400,000 per episode. So, a current episode of Simpsons, before any writing or animating is done, now costs 2.4 million just for the main 6 actors. Thats scary.

Those are of course, long running hugely successful live shows,(with the abnormality of Simpsons on there) thats mostly just to make the point that a lot of money gets thrown around behind the scenes, numbers always seem crazy high for production of a show when we hear them.

To point towards actual animated stuff that I can back, The new Clone Wars cgi cartoon costs 1 mill an episode, (and I think I read somewhere 2 million per ep because I remember it being obscene, but I may have just imagined that) and apparently its Lucas' intention to take it for 100 episodes. (I know, CGI, different beast. But still.)

A number I know for sure is that Gargoyles cost half a million an episode back in 94 (and thats from the creator, I can source that if look for a bit) and Avatar is 15 years later money, with extremely high quality animation much of the time.

Afro Samurai was made for 1 million an episode, there was a lot of booha about that too, since most Japanese animated series cost just about $20,000 per episode, but once you start going into frame rate and quality level and such, and the fact it was a limited 5 episode series, etc etc.

American animated *quality* stuff costs a fair bit. (which is also why so much american animation sucks now, cause its done on the cheap and looks like, and is written like, crap.) And part of that is just sheerly the price tag spread over the course of paying salaries for the 8-12 months it takes to produce an episode. I'm sure some eps of Avatar cost more than others or certain sequences, fluid actioney fights are harder and take longer and whatnot. It seems pretty insane for that kind of money to go into 20 minutes of animation, but, thats the frequently reported ammount.

i've also heard that Pixar films cost a million dollars per minute, which sounds feasible, but insane at the same time too.

Hollywood works in crazy numbers.
    Last edited by Robby; October 25th, 2009 at 11:01 AM.

Yeah pixar spends about 24 hours per frame of animation

I just wanted a source... I am an animation student so Im already a little familiar with the business of cartoons

Avatar's animation just seems a little cheap for a million an episode

Treasure Cruise ID: 785,854,335
    LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

Okey Dokey
    [YOUTUBE]JuhOuANcZlY[/YOUTUBE]

I'm not a 2D purist or anything but why are they using CG?

Quote Originally Posted by project1980 View Post
    Okey Dokey
    [youtube]JuhOuANcZlY[/youtube]
    So why are they making it look more like the 2003 version instead of the 1980's version if that's what they're going for. Also, the voice over guy sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by HiroVoid View Post
    So why are they making it look more like the 2003 version instead of the 1980's version if that's what they're going for. Also, the voice over guy sucked.
    Because time has moved forward and so has design sensibility.

When they said they wanted something more like the first show, they probably meant more humorous and self contained episodes, they didn't say they just wanted to remake the original series.

The 2003 show (for the seasons it was good) had season long arcs and character development and change, which is harder to syndicate on the Spongebob channel. Just look how they messed up with Avatar, they had no idea how to deal with an ongoing plot when it came to scheduling.

I wouldn't be surprised if what we ended up with was something like the last season of the 80's show, which was darker and more up to date, but still the comedy series at its core.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information