Closed Thread
Page 498 of 500 FirstFirst ... 398 448 488 496 497 498 499 500 LastLast
Results 9,941 to 9,960 of 9989

Thread: Felch Discussion Part 3

Default Re: Felch Discussion Part 3

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Kenny View Post
    Man, I just don't get it. No matter how hard I think about it or reflect or compare/contrast or any other form of analysis, I can't freaking figure it out.

How is it that Kubo can fuck up the story when he barely freaking has any to begin with!?! It's truly baffling to me.
    No actually if u read the explanation about Bleach in Uncyclopedia, it'll all make sense. Just think of the manga as a fashion catalog and all the characters are just walking and posing in the runway.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

Quote Originally Posted by RBoar View Post
    Here's a good one to add to the list of making a better manga:

Spoiler:
    Stop making 'badass' a personality.

This nonsense has been so milked that the cow's teats have long past went small, grey and wrinkly by about twenty years. Yet some still think this is an all-excusing word for uncreative tripe. It's what twelve year olds and pre-pubescents on a fantastic powertrip mark off as good characterization, and what creatively unchallenged manchildren fall back on when they're unable to find real redeeming features in characters as shallow as the pool made by a leaky roof.

Have a character beat someone up?

Spoiler:
    Badass.

Have a character make someone bleed, or themselves be the bleeder?

Spoiler:
    Badass.

Have a character get in black or red or other 'dark' colors with all sorts of spikes and ridges and horns and fangs and teeth and oh my god so cool for no reason but the coolness?

Spoiler:
    Juvenile pandering on the level of Warhammer 40K, Liefeld and Twilight drivel, but somehow badass.

So despite the fact that Ichigo's probably one of the worst protagonists - if not characters - in Shonen, he still manages to rank up there pretty high. Yet his whole existence is one big demographic cliche: protect your friends (what sort of moral is this supposed to be, anyway?), 'tough guy with a soft interior', spiky hair, teenager who wants to fight. We all know about this, it's everywhere. Goku's childish and often petty attitudes, Yusuke's nonchalantly dickish behavior towards just about everyone, Luffy's often buffoonish and self-centered behavior. Hell, even Naruto's Mary-sueness has something rounded out to him with his bullshit whining and selfish crap. It's all the little things that help save the characters from following the trend straight and narrow.

But Ichigo? What of him? There are no small quirks to make him stand out, no personal insight, no criticism. There's nothing about him that would make the audience want to challenge him for his thoughts or actions. 'This isn't the way I wanted to win' or 'you guys!' are excluded; you should not get off on literal idiocy as being some sort of bizarro character flaw. There's a big difference between that and characteristic stupidity or judgment lapses, and if you expect me to believe there's a natural link between [Ulquiorra-death-revival-cocky-Grimmjow fight-Nnoitra crap-Ulquiorra moan moan whine whine] then you've lost it. Unless Mr. Schiffer has that effect because he's 'just that emo', because then you've just lost.

It became a cycle at the beginning of the Arrancar arc, starting after the SS arc. Get his ass kicked, feel bad, and 'TRAIN HARDER!'. There wasn't any humanity behind it, and further into the arc we got, the more evident this was becoming. He was a person being followed only for the fact he was the asexual teenage main character. You could literally put in a magical buffalo to do all this and it would still make just about as much sense for everyone to get attached and all friendly to its shaggy hind. Bleach fans will argue away this as others not being able to 'get' the subtleties behind the off-screen character interaction and development, being much more 'psychological' than you'd give it credit for. Congratulations, you've reached the sufficient level of pretentiousness to nibble on your own tongue and say you've tasted ambrosia after breaking the artery.

You can't just have people say or flashback to important events in one's life so many times and count them as 'people moments'. It may be tempting to argue away all the other silly and ridiculousness on the fact they're ghosts, but they're ghosts that've come from humans, or at the least somehow copied similar social interaction. It's not possible for a right-headed reader to really sympathize with someone's plights, troubles and bonds if all those bonds are mentioned offhand or in single chapter-long flashback blurbs from other characters that we never see or hear from again. There's no way anyone will invest themselves wholly in something if you can't even see or feel those characters doing something meaningful that you can invest in. And if you have to sacrifice all that to make your work look 'deep' then I'm sorry but even Holden Caulfield is a more alluring character than your string-bound snot and J.D. Salinger has earned his place in literature a thousand times over more than you ever will through an impotent self-entitled brat whose miserable existence actually serves a deeper purpose beyond trying to serve as masturbation for socially ill middle-schoolers.

Maybe I'm overly critical. Really, I should give more benefit of the doubt here. Just look at that chain!

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/3342/thecool.jpg

Find another protagonist.

You have earned your place in my "Top 5 coolest currently active apforums's members" list, RBoar.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea View Post
    You have earned your place in my "Top 5 coolest currently active apforums's members" list, RBoar.
    I am proud to be a 2010 member when I read his Bleach critics.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukishima View Post
    I am proud to be a 2010 member when I read his Bleach critics.
    And then Chikmagnet7, Zoom, Old_King, etc. all tear that pride to shreds. Oh and Super Connard is 2010, isn't he?
    So far the only 2010s I really like are Mr. Habaneroo and RBoar. You're not bad either, but just not making much of an impression either way.

Quote Originally Posted by loledinmypants View Post
    So far the only 2010s I really like are Mr. Habaneroo and RBoar. You're not bad either, but just not making much of an impression either way.
    How about this, this and this? Maybe this as well.

i always thought rboar is an old member with new account

Quote Originally Posted by Hisoga View Post
    i always thought rboar is an old member with new account
    You are a member of Narutofan?

--------------------------------

On-topic: Another bad chapter.
    Last edited by Sea; August 19th, 2010 at 04:16 AM.

I forgot gabz. And actually several early 2010s are good (Cyan, Herodadotus, Badass Snocone, etc). Retsudo's not bad either. SGR falls into the no impression either way camp. He was improving prior to whatever he got banned for.

With all these weird flashback revelations starting from how Aizen planned out Itchi's whole life all the way to him having arranged a meeting between Hougyokus it's starting to feel a little like Kubo is writing this story in the wrong direction.
    Yibis One Piece Fansubs
    http://yibis.com - #yibis@irc.rizon.net

Quote Originally Posted by Sea View Post
    You are a member of Narutofan?
    please, don't mind me...

please, don't mind me...
    http://forums.narutofan.com/showthre...8#post34480478

There you are!

You almost sold them.

damn it.. i'm busted

You denies the truth about Oda. That's bad. You still can redeem yourself, though.

----------------------------
    Hidden:

On-topic: The cover-page of One Piece has more material to discuss than the whole chapter of Bleach.
    Last edited by Sea; August 19th, 2010 at 04:24 AM.

i can? please tell me..

i can? please tell..
    Tell them you are wrong and apologize. Tell them that story is actually the truth. Because it's the truth.

-----------
    Hidden:

On-topic: I don't know how to worsen the quality of this manga.
    Last edited by Sea; August 19th, 2010 at 04:20 AM.

but...but... i..

I give you 12 hours.
    Make up your mind.
    You are now standing before the crossroad of your fate.
    Don't do anything that you have to regret later.

----------------------
    Hidden:

On-topic: Gin is not dead.
    Last edited by Sea; August 19th, 2010 at 04:21 AM.

ok.. done..

Good son. Very good. We are proud of you. Your sin is forgiven. May you find peace and happiness from now on.

-------------------
    Hidden:

On-topic: Ragiku won't die
    Last edited by Sea; August 19th, 2010 at 04:22 AM.

i hate you...

Closed Thread

Thread Information