+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Pirate Summit and Arlong Park Redesign

Default Re: The Pirate Summit and Arlong Park Redesign

I hope AP becomes a proper fansite again and not a mini wiki. Goodluck all, be nice to see the result.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Logan View Post
    We need to bring the One Piece community together. If they call us "One Piece-tards" or more likely "One Piece-enius," then power to us. We need to put little squabbles aside: Nakama, VIZ translations (Zolo), and even those we've gone over on the podcast before like the Kaizoku edits, and such. We need to come together and coalesce around the important issues. That's why I made the podcast, and that's why we're taking these major steps.
    I never realised that there was such an acrimonious split between the different factions. I always just sort of figured that the forums were the central meeting place for One Piece fans and that aside from a couple of differing attitudes we were a pretty homogenious when it came to translations and the like. Where was all of this inter-fandom conflict going on?

I agree however, that luring casual readers into a central site is good idea, if only getting them started into contributing to the community.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by KingofSarus View Post
    S7evin is such a badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea View Post
    You are nice and bad-ass at the same time, S7evin.

"Shocking, isn't it?" PirateBeck's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Warrior Steve View Post
    Since I didn't see anybody else stepping up to the plate and make an attempt at this, I say that this shouldn't be so criticized.
    While I can't say anything about a website design or podcast, if we are talking about making an all-encompassing One Piece information website, i'm pretty sure I told most of the people involved in the podcast that I was planning to do just that little under a month ago. Its not finished due to the fact I have no idea how to design a decent looking website on my own but you know, trying myself is hard, espically when I can use is html.

But hey, what's the point in me making an effort for you guys? I've done more than my fair share for this community and been mostly ignored every step of the way so what's the point in even trying?

I may as well link my upcoming project thread in here anyway so when I announce those, I can at least prove I tried first :P http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=25904
    Last edited by PirateBeck; January 18th, 2010 at 05:35 AM.

I've done more than my fair share for this community and been mostly ignored every step of the way so what's the point in even trying?
    I've shed a single salty tear for you as I play the world's tiniest violin between my thumb and index finger.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I've shed a single salty tear for you as I play the world's tiniest violin between my thumb and index finger.
    but give it back to me greg..
    looked for it the whole day
    The epic battle of BusterCall vs. Don is decided !!!
    And the results are 3:2 for Don..

"Shocking, isn't it?" PirateBeck's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Okay I admit that I overacted. I didn't know that this had been in planning for over a year and wasn't informed when I asked those on the podcast about it. So I apologise for the post above, since I didn't know the full story. I wouldn't want to start another one of AP's pointless arguements.
    Last edited by PirateBeck; January 18th, 2010 at 07:08 AM.

why don't you help contribute with these guys when they need more help. Like you said yourself, it's hard to do on your own. I'm sure one of these guys knows html. great minds think alike, right.

you should add the One Piece Wiki and The Alabasta Kingdom (once it's started) to the links on the site ^^

Unify the fandom? Screw that! I want One Piece's fanbase to stay as small and insular as possible!

If it ever became successful it would start to suck!

Imagine if the average person knew about it, and actually suppoted its domestic release! Then I wouldn't be an elitist who samples only from illegal bootleg copies anymore, I would be a common shlub, and there is no joy in that!

3DS friend code: 4398-9931-0463 http://actiontimebuddies.com/

robby's post lies between humorous and precisely how I feel.

Something about DBZ lost its charm for me when people walking down the street could name the blondies on my t-shirt.

It's fun to be into something where the people that know, know.

I proudly wore my DBZ t shirt until one day these snot nosed kids at my apartment got all excited over it. I hid it in my drawer never to be seen again. I agree. Wanting to be like Naruto can not be a good thing. :P

you all know that OP is damn successful?
    it`s not an unknown manga which could be seen as a tip for manga-lovers.
    i know that you aren`t going around and everyone knows the story and stuff, but most of the people at least heard something about it but still don`t bother to get as much infos as possible(like addicted like us do)..they just stay with the manga or the anime...

so in my opinion the fanbase will just increase with those, who found out recently that this series exists via anime ...
    so no worries, it won`t be increasing into a number, like every moron is behind naruto...but so far most of those who actually like OP stay with it for a while and than see that it`s rly good.
    The epic battle of BusterCall vs. Don is decided !!!
    And the results are 3:2 for Don..

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer Ms. Suave Debonair's Avatar

It's nice to see people be passionate about something and actively try to reach out to new audiences.

And you can't criticise this, seeing as none of you pay to use this forum or the other sites, nor will it affect your lives in any way if you choose to ignore it. People aren't going to come up to you and force something down your throat. So if you are going to bitch and moan, think about what a massive dickhead you are instead.

Good luck to you guys, hope your plans work out.

I disagree, I want OP to hit DBZ levels in America. The series deserves such exposure and would make being a fan more convenient if you could go in plenty of stores and walk out with OP goods which you could promptly get buried under in case of an earthquake.

... I somehow managed to lose most of my DBZ shit, which puzzles me.

Quote Originally Posted by Buuhan1 View Post
    I disagree, I want OP to hit DBZ levels in America. The series deserves such exposure and would make being a fan more convenient if you could go in plenty of stores and walk out with OP goods which you could promptly get buried under in case of an earthquake.
    Hey, shame on you Buuhan, it's too early to joke about Haiti. It's totally unsensitive.

In all seriousness though, I'm with you in wishing OP more exposure here in the West. First of all because it's just a great piece of entertainment and art and Oda deserves every shred of recognition and of course the comfort aspect mentioned by you.

If it means we partly lose our status as an "isolated" and "in-the-know" group, so be it. We can always find other groups or subcultures to be part of, where we can then show disdain for outsiders.

Now that that's out of the way, I'm going to sit in my vintage lounge-chair, ironically smoke a pipe and listen to this really awesome indie band on my record player. You probably haven't heard of them, they're not mainstream.
    Last edited by S7evin; January 18th, 2010 at 02:48 PM. Reason: This edit brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by KingofSarus View Post
    S7evin is such a badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea View Post
    You are nice and bad-ass at the same time, S7evin.

It's an interesting project. Though i wonder how it will work. The podcast already discusses stuff we have in the numerous threads here (plus a few extras). We have a general section for news.
    I feel there are so much duplicated informations. What could be confusing for the guys you want to reach is, "where will they get all the informations they need/want?".

Think about it... During the last Jump festa many users were confused about where to get gregs recap. "On the podcast or here on apf?" "Where do i get it all?"

Now this project wants to link all the sources and you will have to deal with redundancy. How do you plan to solve that problem? Also... The last jump festa showed me that the news were spread on apf and the podcast. Wouldn't it be a greater issue with your project? What if one post it on A make a little summary on B and a single sentence on C?
    Wouldn't that mean that both side will have more work? The contributors to link their news correctly and reach everyone and the readers to search and reassemble all the informations?

The real issue is "what will be on the blog and how do you plan to avoid confusion?"
    Last edited by MagneticMonkey; January 18th, 2010 at 04:36 PM.

Think about it... During the last Jump festa many users were confused about where to get gregs recap. "On the podcast or here on apf?" "Where do i get it all?"
    That's entirely my fault. I wasn't able to type up the information as fast as I wanted to and there was a huge delay. I'm sorry about that but it was a hectic week going back and forth between Tokyo and Fukui not once, but twice O_o My bad.

What you did was already insane. But this is bound to happen in future if you (or someone else) go to these events... How to inform the fans properly?

I recall you saying on the podcast that you will reserve some informations for the podcast to help them grow or whatever.

My main issue is the split of informations we might have. On your website here on the forum and on the podcast... Then there will be the blog... This might generate more work and confusion than having everything in one place.
    Last edited by MagneticMonkey; January 18th, 2010 at 05:30 PM.

i thought that was the point of the blog. to tell you what's going on and to direct you to where all the info is.

ex: Jan 18th 7:30pm
    Jump Fiesta

All those interested in the Jump Fiesta, Greg will be posting updates as they come, via
    "gregs url.com" If you would like to wait a few days, we will be having a pod cast of jump fiesta on Jan 20th at 8pm Pacific time. We will have all the information gathered by then, and will let you know everything that went on.

----------------------
    that works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MagneticMonkey View Post
    What you did was already insane. But this is bound to happen in future if you (or someone else) go to these events... How to inform the fans properly?

I recall you saying on the podcast that you will reserve some informations for the podcast to help them grow or whatever.

My main issue is the split of informations we might have. On your website here on the forum and on the podcast... Then there will be the blog... This might generate more work and confusion than having everything in one place.
    Well maybe that is what ThePirateSummit is suppose to do, link all the one piece community's so that there will not be any confusion. Like on the podcast, they could tell where to find the other bits of section of news.I mean if the main point of this is to bring the One Piece community together then this type of issue would be easy to resolve if we are all together on where the sites are and what not.
    I made this terrible username almost 6 years ago!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information