+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Computer Issues

Default Computer Issues

I have Windows XP.

My computer (not the one I'm using now) has a bizarre issue. When I log in, my desktop is completely blank. I see my custom wallpaper and everything, but I can't access any of my previous windows or the start menu/bar.

Does anyone know if there is some kind of virus that caused this, or is this something easily fixable?
    3DS FC: 5370-0485-4643

Default Re: Computer Issues

Quote Originally Posted by Insider2000 View Post
    When I log in, my desktop is completely blank. I see my custom wallpaper and everything,
    What is everything? Are the icons on your desktop there?

but I can't access any of my previous windows or the start menu/bar.

Does anyone know if there is some kind of virus that caused this, or is this something easily fixable?
    I have no idea. I suppose it just happened one day and it stayed since today? Did you tried to boot into the safety mode and see if it happen there?

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm

Quote Originally Posted by MagneticMonkey View Post
    What is everything? Are the icons on your desktop there?

I have no idea. I suppose it just happened one day and it stayed since today? Did you tried to boot into the safety mode and see if it happen there?

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm
    Sorry. I shouldn't have said everything. Habit.

All I can see is the wallpaper. No icons. No start menu. No bottom bar. Nothing.

At the same time, task manager is disabled outside administrator (it was never like this before).

I tried safe mode. It still remains blank, but now with a black screen and the 'Safe Mode' text (excepted since it's Safe Mode).

Edit: I happened for the first time today. A random pop-up came up, and everything just went downhill from there. I 'x'ed out as much as I could, but I still came out with this issue.

That's fucked up beyond belief. I have no idea how to save your computer besides using your knoppix cd, boot on it, save the data you can access from your windows partition and reinstall the operating system.

Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar

Sounds like malware or a virus.

When you log in through administrator can you start the Explorer process?

Task manager -> New Task (Run) -> type explorer

Otherwise I'd suggest putting spybot search & destroy on a usb stick or somesuch and installing it while in safe mode

Task manager -> New Task (Run) -> the letter your usb stick normally comes up on (e: f:, whatever)

Oh and BTW you can also try with your normal account to start the explorer bar with the key combination "windows+r" then you type "explorer"

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstorm View Post
    Sounds like malware or a virus.

When you log in through administrator can you start the Explorer process?

Task manager -> New Task (Run) -> type explorer

Otherwise I'd suggest putting spybot search & destroy on a usb stick or somesuch and installing it while in safe mode

Task manager -> New Task (Run) -> the letter your usb stick normally comes up on (e: f:, whatever)
    I can access explorer through my administrator in Safe Mode.

The windows+r combo doesn't work.

Thanks guys. I'm googling and searching like crazy. A lot of people seem to have this problem. It's either a virus/malware or a glitch in the Windows updating system.

EDIT: For some reason, my log-ins (besides Admin) cannot access Task Manager. When I press Ctrl+Alt+Del, it gives me a message stating that Task Manager has been disabled by Admin. I can easily access Admin, just how do I enable Task Manger for all users?
    Last edited by Insider2000; January 18th, 2010 at 05:36 PM.

I've seen this behaviour as a trojan before, though as you say, it can be other things, since when I saw it it also rewrote the admin password, and I had to slave it as a data hard drive to fix it.

Hopefully you'll be able to install spybot through safe mode.

EDIT: For some reason, my log-ins (besides Admin) cannot access Task Manager. When I press Ctrl+Alt+Del, it gives me a message stating that Task Manager has been disabled by Admin. I can easily access Admin, just how do I enable Task Manger for all users?
    Task manager -> New Task (Run) -> type gpedit.msc -> User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Ctrl+Alt+Delete options

Right click Remove Task Manager & properties, what is it set to?
    Last edited by Darkstorm; January 18th, 2010 at 05:41 PM.

In Safe Mode and in Admin, I have access to my Start Menu and icons now ONLY IN SAFE MODE AND ADMIN. I've tested my other users, and they still don't work.

I've attempted to run gpedit.msc. It apparently cannot be found.

EDIT: Where's a good place to get a Spybot?

spybot search and destroy. it's an anti-spyware program. google it, or you could just go to download.com

man sounds nasty. hope you can fix your pc.

Found it. Downloading it now to a flash drive.

Thanks guys, you've all been a great help.

Hmm, you must be on XP Home then.

Sadly it doesn't have the options of pro, so you'd have to do it through the registry.

I don't have any comps with XP home (I run Pro, Ubuntu & 7), so I can only go by what I've found online, and can't guide you through it. Also bear in mind that going into the registry and changing things can totally screw up your os if you change the wrong thing, also I reccomend you try and run some kind of antivirus or antimalware program in safe mode before you try this.

If you still want to try.... Once again Task manager -> New Task (Run) -> regedit:

Now you'd have what looks like a tree view. From here on I'm just going by what I've found, as I can't test this myself:HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion-> Policies -> System

You should have :
    DisableTaskMgr , of type REG_DWORD
    Value:
    1= Disable TaskManager
    Value:
    0= Enable TaskManager

So it should be value 0. However, some viruses can change this back to an incorrect value even if you change it, so again, I suggest your first course of action is to runs spybot or somesuch in safe mode if you can.

Found it. Downloading it now to a flash drive.

Thanks guys, you've all been a great help.
    Good good. Definitely try spybot before any registry shenanigans.

It's not letting me run a scan in Safe Mode, but I read somewhere that you can do it in Safe Mode with Networking. So I'll try that.

Also, I tried regedit. I followed everything straight towards the 'disable' file. It's set to '0', and I didn't touch it.

I found five bugs, but I was only able to destroy four of them.

Now whenever I try to log on to Admin or any other user, it immediately logs me off before I attempt anything.

Am I boned?

I had something similar this morning and the register thing helped me. It's basically a fake Antivirus that keeps spamming you with false threats. At least that's what I had, I didn't have the no task bar or such, but I did have the disabled task manager and system restore, etc.

I read theres a way to fix the log off issue as well (I didn't have it myself) also with registries.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/wormwin32netsky

This topic is what helped me out.

Some tips from the topic:
    Re-enabling task bar:
    Goto Run --> Copy & paste the below code:

This will enable the taskbar...

REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pol icies\System /v DisableTaskMgr /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

to fix the logoff issue

restore your registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\

UserInit = c:\windows\system32\winlogon86.exe

back to:

UserInit = c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe

Offline NT Password and Registry Editor can be used http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

However, if you are already in the loop and can't get to the registry to make the change, here is something I found in another forum that helped me:

Put in your Windows Disc and boot into Repair, you will see a dos mode, press “1″ go into “C:\Windows” directory and type in your user/admin password.

after that go into your “System32″ folder by typing “cd System32″ without “quotes”

then enter in:
    “copy winlogon.exe winlogon86.exe” and
    “copy winlogon.exe winupdate86.exe” <— just incase

type: "exit" to restart

Use malwarebytes
    But, in the end, after you are able to kill the winsetup86.exe process, make sure and run malwarebytes AND update to Win XP SP3. I had to both to keep the problems from coming back.
    Edit:

After fixing the log off issue and such you'll want to make sure the thing is completely gone.

Remove the following if your Spybot or antivirus didn't remove them.

%Program Files%\InternetSecurity2010
    %Program Files%\InternetSecurity2010\IS2010.exe
    %WINDOWS%\system32\41.exe
    %WINDOWS%\system32\winhelper86.dll
    %WINDOWS%\system32\winlogon86.exe
    %WINDOWS%\system32\winupdate86.exe
    %UserProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Internet Security 2010.lnk
    %UserProfile%\Desktop\Internet Security 2010.lnk
    %UserProfile%\Start Menu\Internet Security 2010.lnk

The registry entries that need to be removed are as follows:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IS2010
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run “Internet Security 2010
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run “winupdate86.exe”
    Last edited by iPenguin; January 19th, 2010 at 12:11 AM.

Do you have any carrots? MmmBug's Avatar

Ctl-alt-del on your desktop, then click file... new task(run) and type explorer.exe and click ok. This should bring back your start menu and task bar at the bottom of the screen.

To get your icons back on your desktop, right click the desktop and pick arrange icons by, then check show desktop icons.

Did any of this help? O.o
    ~Kyoujin Pirates Treasurer~

http://www.9panels.com/

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information