+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 74 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Young Justice RETURSN OMG

Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar

Default Re: Young Justice green lit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Zenigame View Post
    ...the major exception being DiDio... and he's the dumbass in charge. Wahoo.
    At this point I think he must just have a grudge against David or something.

That interview with Peter David I read a while back makes that seem plausible.

He seemed pretty sore about it too... not that I can blame him.
    この世に悪があるとすればそれは人の心だ。

Quote Originally Posted by robbybedfart View Post
    And Awualad? WHY? WHY INCLUDE FISH GUYS? They ALWAYS suck!
    Hey, Aquaman is awesome in Brave and the Bold! Maybe this Aqualad will be alright.

That interview with Peter David I read a while back makes that seem plausible.

He seemed pretty sore about it too... not that I can blame him.
    Have you got a link to that? I'm going off what didiot apparently said in heroescon. I can't find the original diatribe though, only references to it:

Quote Originally Posted by didiot
    Again, not to harp on it, but in Young Justice – I’m sorry, but when you introduce a character called “Slobo”…[audience laughs] No – honestly – Lobo is a character that’s dark, dangerous, edgy, and over the top. That’s why Lobo is funny, not because he’s a joke. When you make a Slobo character, it’s not a good character. It’s ruining something stronger. It ruined Lobo, in my opinion. It’s selling a character down the river for a laugh, and I never want to do that. I never want to sacrifice a single character for a single laugh. At the end of the day, you do more damage than good. You may get one funny laugh, but you hurt the character in the long run, and that’s not the right thing to do.
    To which David replied:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter David
    A message buried deep in the Bush thread asked me to comment on Dan Didio's various assertions about "Young Justice" in a Heroes Con interview quoted on Newsarama. First he complained about the quality of the book's sales, stating that a book which features such iconic characters should have far higher numbers. And second he asserted that "Slobo" ruined the character of Lobo.

The aspect that Dan perpetually leaves out of his two-part evisceration of "Young Justice" is that YJ was specifically designed to appeal to a younger readership. That was the mandate from editorial. That's what I was asked to write. YJ was intended to skew young--in its stories, in its subject matter, in its readership--with the notion that it would draw in younger readers who would eventually "graduate" to the older-skewing titles. I was told at the outset that DC neither expected nor needed the book to sell huge numbers; it was aiming at the long-term goal of bringing in new, younger readers. So his complaining about the quality of the sales is irrelevant...not to mention that YJ outsold "Impulse" and "Superboy," both of which were also cancelled, and even he admits the book was turning a profit. So pointing to these iconic characters--characters so "iconic" that DC did away with them--and complaining that sales didn't reflect their presence is really beside the point.

As for Slobo, I wanted to introduce a Wolverine-esque character to stir things up. Since the book featured junior versions of Superman, Batman, and the Flash, a junior version of Lobo seemed perfectly appropriate. A character who was, in his execution and handling, far more serious than Dan remotely gives him credit for (because, y'know, having Slobo go slowly blind was such a knee-slapper of a storyline). And, frankly, I think that a company that raped and murdered Sue Dibny, murdered Blue Beetle, tortured and crippled Batgirl, and had both Superman and Wonder Woman at various times cold-bloodedly murder opponents, doesn't get to say that *I* ruined one of their characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter David
    Except all the people whose idea it was were still there. You've created a faulty analogy: This wasn't a movie company where the previous company head and all his executives were gone, and in such instances the new regime typically tosses aside everything the previous regime had in development. In those instances, it's because it's perceived as a lose/lose situation: If projects succeed, the previous regime gets the credit; if they fail, the new regime gets the blame.

Here, it was simply the addition of a new voice. So he was "expected" to do nothing. And what is deceptive is that he didn't say, "Peter was writing exactly what he'd been told to write, but I decided to go in a different direction." Instead he simply said, "The book wasn't selling as well as it should have been." They canceled it for one reason and one reason only: To relaunch "Teen Titans" so that they could tie in with the new animated series. A series which was, ironically, in tone and style, influenced by "Young Justice."
    Last edited by Darkstorm; April 22nd, 2010 at 02:13 AM.

Kid Flash instead of Impulse makes me want to punch something.
    Punch yourself, how do you know this Kid Flash isn't really Impulse but was just named Kid Flash?

Either way, this better have bro moments between Conner and Tim.

Also people who hate Aquaman and his ilk, fail in life.

As I said, bart'll probably the same personality, I think this is just idiotic name-recognition marketing.

If he hasn't got the same personality as in YJ, there's not really much point in calling this young justice. Bad enough that secret is not included.

Ah yeah, I remember that Peter David interview. Yeah. It was absolutely axed to turn it into Teen Titans... which was bizarre because it was a wierd mix of half and half. Beast Boy, Starfire and Cyborg were there... as adults... while the remaining YJ cast was in there. Including Tim Drake Robin. Given Starfire's relationship with Dick Grayson Robin/Nightwing... And also Wonder Girl and... it was just a mess, mixing two generations of characters together.

(Its also when Impulse got "serious", read an entire library n 2 minutes, and turned into Kid Flash. Which was actually kind of cool... except it was Kid Flash.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tizoc View Post
    Punch yourself, how do you know this Kid Flash isn't really Impulse but was just named Kid Flash?
    Doesn't matter. If the personality is there, great! But the Impulse costume is about 1000 times cooler than the Kid Flash uniform. Its PURE marketing tie in there.

Either way, this better have bro moments between Conner and Tim.
    Yes, they'd better.

Also people who hate Aquaman and his ilk, fail in life.
    Hey. I'm not the one that always writes fish characters as useless whenever on land, and thus, 98% of the time, with the limited powers of... being able to swim.

Underwater powers can be awesome. Even Aquaman can be cool (When Bruce Timm and Paul Dini handle him...) and Namor has always been cool. And One Piece has given us Arlong and Jimbei. Its about attitude, presentation, and use of abilities... and most writers have consistently failed at the DCU Aqua-family for, oh... 6 decades.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I liked Aquaman during the Grant Morrison JLA run.

エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar

He wasn't really Aquaman by that time though, he was more like King Triton.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    Making Anime and Manga OBSOLETE since 2006
    PM me for details

Fucking Abridgers. I can't think of Aquaman without thinking "We can use the Whales! Whaaales!!"

LOVE AND PEACE

Default Re: RUMOR: New DC animated series- Green Lantern by Bruce Timm and Young Justice (TT

http://www.peterdavid.net/index.php/...ego-con-day-3/

Yes.

I assume by secret he means secret. In which case even better.

Default Re: RUMOR: New DC animated series- Green Lantern by Bruce Timm and Young Justice (TT

[youtube]QsnuMjbaqbM[/youtube]

There's a new preview of Young Justice from Comic-con. It's pretty much the first 5 minutes of the first episode.

Default Re: Young Justice

Merged threads and retitled, since YJ is getting all the talk. Green Lantern can have its own later. I'm positive there's a third one floating around somewhere, because I remember discussing Greg Weisman being involved with it. (And thus it being doomed to 2 seasons) But that may have just been a tangent in a different thread.

Oh. Also this, where the title is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Weisman
    So I've been lurking a bit today on various Young Justice message boards (almost always a mistake), and I feel the need to respond on one point (ALWAYS a mistake).

Some people are asking (with various levels of outrage), why we are calling this series "Young Justice"?

They cite the fact that our Robin isn't Tim Drake, that our Kid Flash isn't Impulse/Bart Allen. That we're not using Wonder Girl or Arrowette or Secret and that even our Superboy is dressed more like the later Titans Superboy.

And, honestly, I can see their point. In some ways, I do almost (almost) wish we weren't using the Young Justice title.

But it would be nice if these people turned a more practical and realistic eye toward the question of title.

Some ask, why not call it Teen Titans, when you have Dick, Wally, Aqualad, etc.?

But the answer to that is beyond obvious. There was a RECENT hit series named Teen Titans. The name is TAKEN! Taken, by the way, by a great series that used the cast not of Teen Titans but of Marv Wolfman & George Perez's NEW TEEN TITANS with the tone of neither. In fact, the tone is/was much closer to Peter David & Todd Nauck's YOUNG JUSTICE. (Ironic, huh?)

And if, somehow, we DID call our series TEEN TITANS (again), how would that help? Another group of fans (with some overlap) would cry foul because we were putting Superboy, Miss Martian, Artemis and a new Aqualad in with Dick and Wally. Where's Donna? And etc.

The thing is... we're not doing a straight adaptation of either Teen Titans OR Young Justice. We are, in fact, pulling from both properties and later Titans and decades worth of Justice League stuff to create something new with a new continuity on a new Earth-16.

So what SHOULD we entitle it? There just ISN'T one comic book title that's a PERFECT fit for what we're doing. So if you get past the impossible notion of finding a historically accurate title, you're left with coming up with a MEANINGFUL title. In which case, Young Justice fits perfectly - at least on THAT level. (Trust me, you'll see.) It's a flat-out BETTER and more appropriate and more meaningful title for our series than New Titans or Teen Titans or plain old Titans or Justice League Task Force or Justice League Europe or Extreme Justice or Justice League Babies or pretty much anything else you can come up with. I know. I tried. Nothing else captures the essence of our series as well. Baggage or no baggage.

That still leaves the perfectly legit argument: Why do this? Why NOT just adapt the David/Nauck Young Justice? Fair question, absolutely.

And the answer here is... we didn't want to. The creative people (myself, Brandon Vietti, Sam Register, etc.) behind the series premiering this November on Cartoon Network didn't want to. That's not meant as any disrespect for a great comic book. But again, we felt that the tone of the David/Nauck Young Justice book had been done recently and well on television as Teen Titans. Different group of teens, but the same feeling. We wanted to do something NEW. Maybe you'll like it. Maybe you won't. But writers as diverse as Peter David (yep, that Peter David) and Geoff Johns and, uh, Greg Weisman all like what we're doing, so maybe it's worth at least giving us a chance. Or not. That's the call of every individual.

But if you are going to give us a try, you might also try leaving a bit of baggage behind. We have six leads and many, many, many supporting characters (135 existing characters from the DC Universe just through episode 16 alone). As when I worked on Spectacular Spider-Man, we have tried VERY hard to be as true to the core truths of each individual character as possible. Some of the interpretations may be new. Some of the details. The timeline is start from scratch. (Parallel universe, remember?) But the core should hold true, or I haven't done my job.

And gang, stop pretending you know what's coming or what ISN'T coming. What characters will eventually be included and which won't. We haven't even premiered yet. It's fine to guess. But making a guess and then praising or condemning us based on that guess is a bit rough.

Now, I know that this message will invariably read like I've got a big chip on my shoulder. And/or that I'm whining about fans pre-judging the work. That's not the TONE I want for this message. But it's hard in text to get tone across. The tone I'm looking for is more like... weariness. (Not wariness, but weariness.) Honestly, all I'm trying to get across here is that perhaps the conversation would be more productive if folks weren't stuck on preconceptions.

Oh, and one more thing for the record: I know a number of people -- even a few individuals legitimately attached to the series -- have been quoted saying the original title of the series was "Young Justice League". It wasn't. Ever. For better or worse, we were "Young Justice" from Day One of our development. And why not "Young Justice League?" Well, frankly, cuz it sounds awful, don't you think?
    Given DC's animated series track record? And Weisman's track record? And Teen Titan's/Young Justice's track record? I'm pretty excited.

And Peter David is witing a script or two, so... awesome.

Hopefully it'll last more than two seasons.
    Last edited by Robby; October 14th, 2010 at 08:05 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    So which Robin is it, Tim or Dick?

Also, did I spot Captain Marvel in there?
    Based on what Weisman said, looks like it's Dick.

ohmygawdohmygawdohmygawdohmygawdohmygawdohmygawd

next month next month next month next month next month

i hope there are TONS of cameos and some of the older titans appear occationally

Treasure Cruise ID: 785,854,335
    LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

Lady Gaga? Take notes. Rebecky_Mo's Avatar

Someone at NYCC managed to get 5 minutes of the preview footage, lucky for us.

EDIT: HOW THE HELL did I not see that Strongbad put it up, like, HOURS before me?

Well, color me excited. And I think I'm going to really like the new Aqualad.

I need to find out if my local channels or going to get this.
    Last edited by Rebecky_Mo; October 15th, 2010 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by taboo View Post
    i hope there are TONS of cameos and some of the older titans appear occationally
    "135 existing characters from the DC Universe just through episode 16 alone"

I think its safe to say there will be cameos.

Quote Originally Posted by Strongbad456 View Post
    There's a new preview of Young Justice from Comic-con. It's pretty much the first 5 minutes of the first episode.
    Doesn't look too bad. Like that we're getting wally again.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    "135 existing characters from the DC Universe just through episode 16 alone"

I think its safe to say there will be cameos.
    Aaaaaaa

man I hope I can afford cable by then aaaaaa

Well, I hope it can stand without cameos too. The first TT managed pretty well, until the last season when there was TOO MANY guests

just gotta wait and see

omg

Treasure Cruise ID: 785,854,335
    LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information