• Paulie?

85 26.23%
  • None?

20 6.17%
  • Both?

30 9.26%
Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Franky vs. Paulie II: REVOTED~!

Yeah, the rodeo fighting style is really original... he can tie stuff up! And...uh...

the bigot who thinks being an asshole is actually worth shit

Unchipu

i don't know if this could be a clue, but a lot of the strawhats seem to embody one of the seven deadly sins.
    gluttony - luffy
    sloth - zoro
    lust - sanji
    greed - nami
    pride - usopp
    envy - chopper
    wrath - ?

i'm not sure who could represent wrath (i don't think robin really does, but who knows), but the others seem to be about right. maybe whichever of franky or paulie fits wrath better is the one who will join? of course if robin is wrath, then this theory doesn't work.

I decided to look at this from a different angle.

If Paulie joins, there'll be an explosion of bondage yaoi doujinshi which could be a good or bad thing depending on who you talk to.

But then again Franky yaoi...

My curiosity is of the morbid type. So I still go for Franky.

Just another Robin fan Tare_chan's Avatar

My vote still goes to Paulie. no special reason though, I just like him better than Franky. sure Franky is such a great character, not to mention very unique, but if I have to choose, I choose Paulie. I don't mind if Franky joins either, but I believe he will be the one who made the boat, and stay :)

Z/R Forever!!
    sig by: inori

Originally posted by Unchipu@Jul 11 2005, 09:29 AM
    i don't know if this could be a clue, but a lot of the strawhats seem to embody one of the seven deadly sins.
    gluttony - luffy
    sloth - zoro
    lust - sanji
    greed - nami
    pride - usopp
    envy - chopper
    wrath - ?

i'm not sure who could represent wrath (i don't think robin really does, but who knows), but the others seem to be about right.
    That's a pretty cool theory actually.. chopper's envy isn't too clear though, and like you said Robin and wrath don't really match either, but the others are pretty much spot-on.
    One Piece Recaps
    576 577 578 579+580 581 582-584: part 1 part 2
    585-587
    Formerly known as JackVance

couldn't paulie's additude toward women be envy

it seems franky is quite proud of himself

ive always thought of the seven deadly sins as the shukibaki though (cause i was listening to flogging molly while reading about them)

Originally posted by Roman Zaenom@Jul 11 2005, 09:14 PM
    Voted Paulie. If his rope techniques aren't original for you, how come you find Franky's to be original while they're only just things Usopp could do (fire, wind, nails, bombs...)? Ropes can come in handy anytime, not just in combat.
    [snapback]87010[/snapback]
    Because of style. Pauly has ropes. He throws them at you. That's it. Sometimes he'll tie things to them. Then throw them again. If they land, he....throws you. Most strong fighters can find ways out of this, like Lucci did, but still, he's gonna throw you.

Franky is a living weapon. He uses his fists a lot, but instead of trying to punch you, he'll vary it. He wrecked the Yagara carriage to throw Luffy for a loop (much smarter move than people think), suckered Nero, and took off his skin to make his punch harder. He'll even shoot a fist at you, but if it doesn't work, he moves on.

He seems to believe in two great things: set-up, and shot. He didn't just fire away at Nero, he tricked him and then pinned him for the Ultimate Hammer. You can't just keep throwing things and hope it works, you have to set up. It's not strong moves that make him good, it's his technique.

And about Usopp: they can play off each other! Imagine Franky shooting Coup De Vent, and everyone avoiding it except Usopp, who can charge a dial with it. It'd be really cool for Usopp to have a lab partner, who knows ships and weapons like the back of his hand. Which is a weapon. That fixes ships.
    Quote Originally Posted by Battle Franky
    Bad move, bub!

My vote goes to Franky. He has a tragic past, he has a dream, (And I'm sure he wants to see that ship fulfill his dream). He has a strong shipwright ability, and his cyborg ability is going to put Luffy in a state of excitement that my surpass that state when he was watching Choppers 7-level transformations. (And he's also formed a temporary alliance with Franky Family.)
    If I think I'm insane, does it mean I'm not? Because a truly insane person wouldn't know that they are insane?

Yeah, I agree that o far Paulie's fighting style hasn't really much variety at all, but I kind of do thing that if you sit back and think hard enough, you could come up with some pretty interesting moves for Paulie. Maybe some sort of attack with names that contain snake/wire/worm etc..

Originally posted by jackvance+Jul 11 2005, 07:59 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jackvance &#064; Jul 11 2005, 07:59 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Unchipu@Jul 11 2005, 09:29 AM
    i don&#39;t know if this could be a clue, but a lot of the strawhats seem to embody one of the seven deadly sins.
    gluttony - luffy
    sloth - zoro
    lust - sanji
    greed - nami
    pride - usopp
    envy - chopper
    wrath - ?

i&#39;m not sure who could represent wrath (i don&#39;t think robin really does, but who knows), but the others seem to be about right.
    That&#39;s a pretty cool theory actually.. chopper&#39;s envy isn&#39;t too clear though, and like you said Robin and wrath don&#39;t really match either, but the others are pretty much spot-on.
    [snapback]87058[/snapback]
    [/b][/quote]

I&#39;ve seen this theory before, but it&#39;s probably just a coincidence, because I&#39;m pretty sure we won&#39;t end up with 7 members in the end. Most of them are strikingly accurate, though, except Chopper, and Robin is definately not wrathful. Franky is, however. :)

Yeah, I remember posting about the Sin thing a while back. And even then, Envy and Wrath were the missing links.

the bigot who thinks being an asshole is actually worth shit

Just a thought-- perhaps they&#39;ll take Paulie because he IS less, well, weird, than Franky. The crew&#39;s already very high on the weirdness-o-meter (rubber captain, reindeer doctor, kick-ass chef...) perhaps a little sanity&#39;s needed.

I&#39;d say that&#39;s what Robin&#39;s for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Battle Franky
    Bad move, bub!

My money&#39;s been on Paulie ever since he was first introduced and I&#39;m stickin&#39; to my guns. :lol:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .Credo quia absurdum non credere. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

jdragon007

I would have to go with Franky because he has already been in a major battle
    and why waste good moves and a unique character design.

I&#39;ve said it before, I&#39;ll say it again: I don&#39;t think either one will join. The ship Franky dreamed of building was supposed to be INVINCIBLE. Hence, neither would need to join if the Straw-Hats get that ship. It&#39;s the ultimate bait-and-switch Oda&#39;s pulling here...they go in looking for a new crew member and don&#39;t get one...with all the other plot twists in this arc, how could it not happen? Unless it&#39;s a DOUBLE switch...though then again, it could be said that several of the "candidates" being the enemies, and one enemy being a candidate WAS a "double-switch&#39;...so maybe it&#39;d have to be a triple switch with a cherry on top.
    Do not offend the Chair Leg of Truth; it is wise and terrible.
    -Spider Jerusalem

Question

W O W&#33; :o

I initially thought doing a re-vote at this point was maybe a little premature. But opinions on the new crewmate have shifted significantly&#33; I&#39;m really quite shocked. Now I&#39;m glad I did it, but that being said, if W7/EL is still going on another 4 or 5 months on, a final vote definitely should be taken. Who knows, opinions could shift back once again.

Also, another way to look at Paulie..

Maybe he isn&#39;t a fighter. Maybe he could be a little like Sanji and stick to gathering information or infiltrating the enemy bases or something.. Only to be caught many times during the process and becomes the angry, disgruntled, foul mouthed "damsel in distress" who complains to his captors while being chained up or something..

His ropes would certainly help him get around places easier. I think Paulie would be awesome at reconnaissance work.. Using his ropes to scale buildings or to make clever traps.. And I&#39;m sure he could take out some small fry villains with them as well.

Superior fighting style = doesn&#39;t necessarily increase your chances of joining Luffy&#39;s crew.

*sigh* Here we go again.

UPRC makes a very good point, you don&#39;t HAVE to be insanely powerful to be a member of the crew. I mean, it would be a little redundant. Why do we love it when Usopp fights? Because he&#39;s not insanely powerful and thus it&#39;s that much more dramatic to see how he will win.

Anyhow, here again is a much-argued opinion:

I personally think Paulie will join. Yes, Franky is a KICK-ASS character, and his fighting style is terrific. Compared to Franky, Paulie falls a little short in the fighting category. Other than that, I&#39;m not going to list Paulie&#39;s good points, everybody&#39;s pointed them out already. In a nutshell, he&#39;s wacky yet not over the top and has great potential for crew dynamic.

However, I do think Oda has another motive for making Franky so freaking cool. As far as we know currently, the Merry is dead. *taps* So we need a new ship, and Oda seems to be setting Franky up to follow in Tom&#39;s footsteps and make the flagship of the Pirate King. However, considering how much we all loved the Merry, just throwing in a new ship would be kind of lame. BUT if the ship is made by a character we all love (and c&#39;mon, who doesn&#39;t love Franky) then we can take all the love we have for that character and apply it to the ship. In a way it would be like a part of Franky is going with the crew when they leave.

Also, I don&#39;t see a lot of room for Franky to grow. he&#39;s a lot older than the Straw Hats, even more than Robin. True, age shouldn&#39;t matter, but he&#39;s pretty damn settled in Water Seven. And he can&#39;t leave the Franky Family, they would be devastated. And he wants to build a "Dream Ship", and let&#39;s be honest there&#39;s probably no better place than Water Seven to do it.

I know people&#39;s complaints about Paulie, but . . . the arc is far from over. We should know to never underestimate Oda in these things. A few chapters down the line and he may show that Paulie is truly KICK ASS. He could throw in a heart-rendering flash back, or make him do something insanely cool with his Rope Action. I leave it all in the hands of Oda . . . .

so far i think we can only say Franky is the one. Pauly had semi-zero character development (there is that debt thing)...

Actually with this last SBS i&#39;ve been leaning more towards Franky than usual, i can easily see the Franky Family joining Galley-la to rebuild W7 and Franky departing with the StrawHats since he is a wanted man...
    baka^ni

Thread Information