• Paulie?

85 26.23%
  • None?

20 6.17%
  • Both?

30 9.26%
Page 6 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Franky vs. Paulie II: REVOTED~!

alright im 99.99% sure that frankie will join. the reason? EVERY character that has joined so far has had a flashback. zoro had his childhood promis, sanji had his past with sef, usopp had the flashback with his dad leaving, nami had a flashback with her mother and arlong, and chopper had his flashback with dr hilruck. the only member whos questionable is robin and she hasnt officially joined yet. Franky has had a flashback and is the only one out of the people in this arc to have one.
    However who knows, maybe paulie will have a flashback :P thats my theory...u can disagree with it if u want

the only member whos questionable is robin and she hasnt officially joined yet.
    True. This arc is what Arlong Park was for Nami. Nami didn't join for real until the end of Arlong Park and we really didn't know anything about her until that arc, the same is happening to Robin in this one.

Prepare! The new age is coming!

Originally posted by Kiden4911@Jul 14 2005, 09:53 PM
    alright im 99.99% sure that frankie will join. the reason? EVERY character that has joined so far has had a flashback. zoro had his childhood promis, sanji had his past with sef, usopp had the flashback with his dad leaving, nami had a flashback with her mother and arlong, and chopper had his flashback with dr hilruck. the only member whos questionable is robin and she hasnt officially joined yet. Franky has had a flashback and is the only one out of the people in this arc to have one.
    However who knows, maybe paulie will have a flashback :P thats my theory...u can disagree with it if u want
    [snapback]89488[/snapback]
    Here's the thing though... all of these flashbacks took place near the end of the arc, or at the end of the arc. Sanji's came up when he was fighting Pearl/Gin, Zoro's was afer he'd joined, Usopp's was at the dead end of the arc, Nami's was right before the much kicking of fish tail, and I cant remember where exactly Chopper's was... but I think it was close to the end. Also, with all these flashbacks, barring Zoro's, someone else is telling it as a story. Franky's flashback is an actual flashback rather than someone telling their story. If you're wanting to go buy what Oda's done in the past, Franky's flashback doesn't really fit in with the other crewmembers' flashbacks.

There's still time for Paulie to have a flash back... heck, it may not even be until the end of the arc, while he's fighting his ex-friends, that we see one for him. And if his flashback is while he's fighting against CP9... that would be more inline with the rest of the crew flashbacks.

Nothing's set in stone, who's to say Oda will do the same thing he always does? It could be either of them... or it could be neither of them. I'm not convinced Franky willl join over Paulie... there's still time. But that's just my opinion.

Sanji's was an actual flashback too, I think. Just wanted to point that out.

the bigot who thinks being an asshole is actually worth shit

Originally posted by Konis+Jul 15 2005, 09:22 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Konis &#064; Jul 15 2005, 09:22 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Kiden4911@Jul 14 2005, 09:53 PM
    [snapback]89488[/snapback]
    Here&#39;s the thing though... all of these flashbacks took place near the end of the arc, or at the end of the arc. Sanji&#39;s came up when he was fighting Pearl/Gin, Zoro&#39;s was afer he&#39;d joined, Usopp&#39;s was at the dead end of the arc, Nami&#39;s was right before the much kicking of fish tail, and I cant remember where exactly Chopper&#39;s was... but I think it was close to the end. Also, with all these flashbacks, barring Zoro&#39;s, someone else is telling it as a story. Franky&#39;s flashback is an actual flashback rather than someone telling their story. If you&#39;re wanting to go buy what Oda&#39;s done in the past, Franky&#39;s flashback doesn&#39;t really fit in with the other crewmembers&#39; flashbacks.

There&#39;s still time for Paulie to have a flash back... heck, it may not even be until the end of the arc, while he&#39;s fighting his ex-friends, that we see one for him. And if his flashback is while he&#39;s fighting against CP9... that would be more inline with the rest of the crew flashbacks.

Nothing&#39;s set in stone, who&#39;s to say Oda will do the same thing he always does? It could be either of them... or it could be neither of them. I&#39;m not convinced Franky willl join over Paulie... there&#39;s still time. But that&#39;s just my opinion.
    [snapback]89807[/snapback]
    [/b][/quote]

Well theres nothing set in stone in this comic (like i said 99.99% sure not 100%) but one has to admit there are certain trends in the arcs in OP. also namis flashback was prtty much in the middle and choppers was in the middle too. Another thing is no one knows how far along we are with this arc so for all we know it might be near the end... this arcs alrdy gone on for a long time

It&#39;ll be untypical either way I think. Usually there&#39;s one (big) flash-back per arc right? Now we&#39;ve already had one.. plus if Robin is gonna rejoin, she&#39;ll need to show her flashback too.. and if Paulie is gonna join, he&#39;ll need to share his. Seems like too many flashbacks XD. (or maybe oda is really gonna take Robin away from us for a while...)
    One Piece Recaps
    576 577 578 579+580 581 582-584: part 1 part 2
    585-587
    Formerly known as JackVance

Bubut

I truly believe that they will get a shipwright. Luffy clearly stated that they will get one as friend. You believe in Luffy, do you? So option no. 3 is a "NO".

Both of them joining is also a NO. I don&#39;t see it happening. I don&#39;t want one exceeds in their character development and the other one is left behind.

Paulie? I don&#39;t think he&#39;d join. You know, the Strawhats could be the best among their fields. Such as greatest swordsman, cook, doctor etc. While I don&#39;t think Paulie could. Galley La is a group of shipwrights right? Each one has their own specialty: carpentry, sawyer, mast etc. Paulie&#39;s specialty is on the mast/rigging. I don&#39;t think he could also do better on the other parts.

My bet is on Franky. Oda already gave us a lot of hints on why he is the next one to join. The dream, flashback, weakness, etc. Yeah, I know it&#39;s been said a lot.

In the soon to be released game "Fighting for One Piece". All the characters there have something in common. They&#39;re either a StrawHat or a Logia user except for Franky. The only fitting category that Franky could be in is in the SH of course. If the game is not enough to prove that he could be the new member, why is he there? He&#39;s not even the main villain in W7. Why didn&#39;t they include Paulie and/or Lucci.

Eventhough my bet is on Franky, I&#39;m just 98% sure. The other 2% is....
    Most SH&#39;s skill names has a signature something on it. Much like a formula or uniformity..
    Luffy- Gomu Gomu + "Attack"
    Zoro- mostly animal names
    Nami- "Weather" + Tempo
    Usopp- "Ammunition type" + Star
    Sanji- mostly parts of the body in French
    Chopper- "Transformation type" + Point
    Robin- "Spanish number" + Fleur

Franky&#39;s skill names are random. At first I thought it would be "Attack + direction" (Strong Right & Weapon Left). In his fight with Nero, he&#39;s skill names doesn&#39;t have similarity with the other attacks. I hope skill names doesn&#39;t matter.

What doesn&#39;t matter is the game. :P The fact that they have random Logia users instead of Lucci while based on Water Seven should say something. Not that we&#39;ve even seen the final roster.

But really, the game isn&#39;t being made by Oda, the only person who has a say in who joins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Battle Franky
    Bad move, bub!

Originally posted by Buccaneer@Jul 16 2005, 06:17 PM
    ...Oda, the only person who has a say in who joins.
    Besides his editor, of course :P.

*leaves the discussion before is sucked in*

But how the heck you all like franky?

Ok, he is quite nice at the beginning, and he have an interesting past to, but...
    He is so freaking horrible&#33;

Stupid-weird-looking arms.
    Stupid-ugly-weird-looking nose.
    Stupid-ultra-ugly-weird-looking chin.

And he wear only a pair of pants&#33;

Neither the beauty of both Robin and Nami could balance is uglyness...

Geez... I don&#39;t wanna need to wash my eyes with bleach every time I read a new OP&#39;s chapter -_-

Luffy1Piece

Originally posted by Nico Robin Fan@Jul 16 2005, 09:44 AM
    But how the heck you all like franky?

Ok, he is quite nice at the beginning, and he have an interesting past to, but...
    He is so freaking horrible&#33;

Stupid-weird-looking arms.
    Stupid-ugly-weird-looking nose.
    Stupid-ultra-ugly-weird-looking chin.

And he wear only a pair of pants&#33;

Neither the beauty of both Robin and Nami could balance is uglyness...

Geez... I don&#39;t wanna need to wash my eyes with bleach every time I read a new OP&#39;s chapter -_-
    [snapback]90471[/snapback]
    Why do we like Franky? Because he&#39;s AWESOME&#33;&#33;&#33; It seems like your only reasons for disliking Franky are because of the way he looks. That&#39;s a pretty shallow reason for disliking the character. One of the great things about One Piece is the fantastically imaginative character design. Franky is amongst the best that we&#39;ve seen thus far in the series. He&#39;s a unique looking character much like Usopp and frankly I&#39;d take that any day over the boring, generic cool guy look that Pauly sports.

That&#39;s something else I wonder about the others who want Pauly to join over Franky, is it because of Franky&#39;s character design and that he&#39;s not a hot/cool guy?

Discovered Stowaway

Originally posted by Luffy1Piece@Jul 16 2005, 11:49 AM
    That&#39;s something else I wonder about the others who want Pauly to join over Franky, is it because of Franky&#39;s character design and that he&#39;s not a hot/cool guy?
    [snapback]90497[/snapback]
    You know, I bet if Franky still looked the same as he did in the flashback he would have even more votes. I remember when I first started into one piece I peeked in a thread with pics of Franky and Paulie and wondered how a funny looking guy like Franky would even be considered as a potential crew member. Now that I&#39;ve caught up Oda has managed to turn Franky into a great character , much like he did when Usopp was first introduced.

And for those who like the idea of Paulie getting into debt with Nami because of his gambling. I don&#39;t know, I like it better when she gets angry hahah. Bring on Franky and his big money spending ways.

Originally posted by Luffy1Piece@Jul 16 2005, 06:49 PM
    It seems like your only reasons for disliking Franky are because of the way he looks.
    I know it&#39;s not a good reason, but I disliked him at the very first sight... He&#39;s so ugly that I can&#39;t appreciate his background and his characterization.

I can&#39;t do nothing... it&#39;a an istinctive feeling -_-

Franky kicks ass, and has his own sexy charm. If I was a chick I&#39;d hit it.

the bigot who thinks being an asshole is actually worth shit

I should point out that I hated Ussop when he first arrived on the scene. But somewhere along the Arlong Arc, he grew on me, and now I really like him. Franky was the same way, I didn&#39;t like him at first, but now I do. So give him a chance, you may find yourself realizing one chapter, that you really like this weird guy.
    If I think I'm insane, does it mean I'm not? Because a truly insane person wouldn't know that they are insane?

I dunno.. Franky just isn&#39;t very interesting to me. At first, I just didn&#39;t like how he looks, and that he&#39;s so much older than the rest... but as time goes on, he just seems overpowered to me. Yeah, he has his major weaknesses, the whole cola thing, and the back being normal, but he blew up a dock in Water 7&#33; Zoro could probably do as much damage to an area, but he&#39;s had to work up to it... Franky&#39;s already powerful. He just seems like a... well, a twink. To me, in my opinion, he&#39;s already monstrously powerful.

I&#39;m also not so sure someone like Franky would join a pirate crew. I guess it depends on how this turns out in the end. If he ends up a major criminal with a bounty.. yeah, maybe.. but otherwise, I just see him wanting to stay with the family he&#39;s come to appreciate over all these years.

I&#39;ll be disappointed if it&#39;s Franky who joins. I&#39;ll get over it, but that&#39;s still how I&#39;ll feel.

Paulie just seems to me like he has more potential. He doesn&#39;t seem at all like a "Wiper" character, Wiper was rather boring and had little that made his character unique... Oda&#39;s given Paulie several unusual quirks that I can&#39;t see a simple background character having. He&#39;s also got an unusual attack method that, I think, could evolve and be improved upon in time.

The crew&#39;s last addition was a very powerful character, I&#39;d like to see the new member be closer to normal.

Again, this is my opinion, that&#39;s all.

The points each side brings up, particularly omae and Konis, are entirely valid. Both characters have several unique quirks, distinct fighting styles, and a reason to travel with the Straw-Hats (Franky being a now-Wanted criminal, Paulie as payment for saving Iceburg or something). It really comes down to personal preference.

I&#39;ll start by saying that I voted "Franky." He&#39;s awesome. Where else will you see a cola-powered, Popeye-armed cyborg with kickass qualities but in one of Oda&#39;s works? If he joins as a Shipwright -- and possibly a Musician -- I will be ECSTATIC. He&#39;s too fun a character to just waste, so if nothing else, we&#39;ll get a cover story if he doesn&#39;t join.

Paulie, though, is also a favorite. Why else would I have a sig made of him? =3 His fighting style just hasn&#39;t been seen before, and I&#39;d like to see where Oda takes it... and him. His past also promises to be intriguing, even if not as tied to the story as Franky&#39;s was. The quirks Oda&#39;s given him -- namely, being a prude and having a gambling problem -- can be expanded upon and more added, and he just seems a very ripe character for development. But, sadly, he&#39;s been pushed off the seat of prominence he had up through the mansion assault, and he&#39;s really just been stale (if not exceedingly cool when he rescued the Strawhats) to me most of the time from the end of the mansion onward. Pity, and I hope that we see more of him. At least give him a minor battle, Oda-sensei&#33;&#33; He deserves to kick some ass after all the shit he&#39;s been through. Which, by the by, makes me think that I really prefer seeing Paulie&#39;s fighting style over Franky&#39;s. I might have to change my vote here...

I can see either one joining, and I&#39;d be happy with one or both. Now, off to change my vote to Paulie...

Signature by Bandit-King
    Halcyon Days

Originally posted by Luffy1Piece@Jul 16 2005, 01:49 PM
    I&#39;d never vote Paulie just because I don&#39;t like how Franky looks. If you&#39;ll go back and look through the thread, I&#39;m sure you&#39;ll find a lot of people who go into detail on why Paulie will join over Franky, and none of which have to deal with looks. If you don&#39;t believe me, go find my long rant about it.

Really, that&#39;s almost an insult to the Paulie supporters who took the time to express their opinions here.

I had no problem saying it would be Paulie last time (despite greatly prefering Franky instead), but now I&#39;m leaning toward Franky. He has an impressive variety of cyborgisms that simply seem to work well with the Straw Hats in my mind. I can totally see somebody riding on centaur Franky, or Luffy guzzling down his Coke on a hot day, etc. The flashback and goal definitely don&#39;t hurt, either...

But we know there&#39;s a good chance Paulie has a yet-to-be-seen flashback and dream, too, so I don&#39;t think we can rule him out yet... We all know the focus is going to switch back to him at some point, I guess the chance of a comeback depends how great the upcoming focus is. I still see Paulie joining as a possibility... Franky would have to be a reccuring character for me to be satisfied, though, and I&#39;m not talking about just a cover page mini story (though that definitely would be entertaining).

"People say, is it the afro that makes the champion, or the champion that makes the afro...?
    It is still unexplained by modern science!!"

Originally posted by Paulie+Jul 16 2005, 09:36 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Paulie &#064; Jul 16 2005, 09:36 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Peally, that&#39;s almost an insult to the Paulie supporters who took the time to express their opinions here.
    [snapback]90557[/snapback]
    [/b]

Woah&#33;
    I&#39;ve never said that is better if is Paulie who join because Frenky isn&#39;t cool.
    I&#39;ve only said that i don&#39;t want to see Frenky because is ugly.

Putting aside the cool or not cool topic, I prefer Paulie for many aspect already mentioned by others, like:

Originally posted by Paulie@Jul 11 2005, 12:18 PM
    First, let me address the point brought up that Paulie&#39;s ropes are too plain of a fighting style. I&#39;d have to disagree; I have faith in Oda to make it into something grand. If you hadn&#39;t seen One Piece, I&#39;m sure you&#39;d think that a fighting style revolving around kicks would be lame, but Sanji has proven time and again that it can be pulled off, not only well, but with style. I expect to see the same thing from Paulie and his rope fighting. It might sound lame on paper, and perhaps what we&#39;ve seen isn&#39;t the greatest; but I&#39;m sure that Oda has all the real tricks saved up for the future, and when he pulls them out, we&#39;ll all be left saying "How cool is that?&#33;"

Secondly, I shall address the point of Paulie&#39;s character; in short, people say his character is too bland, not unique enough. His quirks are negligible, or they clash or what have you. Well, first off, he might have one or two we&#39;ve yet to see that can make him more interesting. Oda hasn&#39;t delved in depth into Paulie&#39;s character, choosing instead to go into Franky&#39;s, the reason for which, in my opinion, is that after Water Seven, he won&#39;t get to go into Franky&#39;s character; AKA, he&#39;s left behind.

At any rate, even going by what we know now, I still think Paulie would be a fien addition to the crew. Why, you ask? Because his quirks can cause some good scenes between the pirates. His gambling problems, amusing as they are on their own, are sure to compound in amusement when coupled with Nami&#39;s vast amount of cash, and her money-hoarding ways. She can cheat him out of his, only to be begged into letting him borrow more to fund his habit. Also, of course, is how he treats women; this is sure to cause some debate between him and Sanji. Not only that, but others, especially the girls themselves, and possibly Zoro, can get dragged into it as well. In short, his personality can compliment the other Straw Hats well.
    Or

Originally posted by Roman Zaenom@Jul 11 2005, 01:14 PM
    Voted Paulie. If his rope techniques aren&#39;t original for you, how come you find Franky&#39;s to be original while they&#39;re only just things Usopp could do (fire, wind, nails, bombs...)? Ropes can come in handy anytime, not just in combat. Paulie has a less freaky design too and I love his interactions with the crew.

Franky is funny, but kind of repetitive. It&#39;s still ok in this arc but might get really annoying if he joins and repeats the same puns (guitar, poses, crying...). Paulie is much more of a versatile character like Sanji or Zoro.

As said, if Franky is shown so much now is probably because Oda uses this character as much as he can while he still can and so that we have a background and personality for the new ship.
    Or

<!--QuoteBegin-Konise
    @Mar 16 2005, 04:30 AM
    Well, if he joins the Strawhats, maybe, in time, it&#39;ll become less pronounced... also, come on.. a GUY that&#39;s a prude... Nami will tease him relentlessly, just because it&#39;d bug him, and she knows he&#39;s not interested. The kinda of mean, teasing things a girl could do to a prudish guy...

And who knows, maybe there&#39;s a good reason for his being so prudish. *shrug* I think it&#39;s interesting, because you just don&#39;t see that sort of thing in males often, at least, not in anime. I&#39;d love to see how he manages on a ship with two sexy girls and a shameless flirt who wants them dressed as skimpily as possible.

Also, I REALLY wanna see Paulie and Sanji bickering over Nami&#39;s attire. *_* That would entertain me more than Sanji arguing with the brick wall that is Zoro. Nothing against Zoro, but he mostly ignores Sanji.

I honestly think Paulie has a lot of potential.
    [/quote]

And so on...

Thread Information