+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 915

Thread: Dragon Quest thread

  1. #261
    Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Albion

    Default Re: General Dragon Quest thread

    Because it's the best story he's written.

  2. #262

    Default Re: General Dragon Quest thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Animesoccer View Post
    Well I decided to order V. It's frickin expensive, but luckily i have graduation money to spend.
    Why is it expensive? I'm also in CA and have seen several places with DQ V for really cheap new. Last time I was at Toys R Us it was $20.

  3. #263
    Dancing in September Animesoccer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    California

    Default Re: General Dragon Quest thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Syan Strife View Post
    Why is it expensive? I'm also in CA and have seen several places with DQ V for really cheap new. Last time I was at Toys R Us it was $20.
    Really? That's lame. Iv'e checked places like gamestop, walmart and target and even toy r us where I live and non of them had it. Figures it be in Toys R Us where I don't live. The game is discontinued so all the sellers selling through Amazon had the game for like $60-80. I bought it for 60. O well. If I don't spend the graduation money, my mom will put it in my savings and I'de never see it again anyway.
    Kelly

  4. #264

    Default Re: General Dragon Quest thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Syan Strife View Post
    Why is it expensive? I'm also in CA and have seen several places with DQ V for really cheap new. Last time I was at Toys R Us it was $20.
    Because it's out of print now, I believe.

  5. #265

    Default Re: General Dragon Quest thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkstorm View Post
    Because the story isn't as good. It's as simple as that.
    While it's true that some DQ stories and characters were pretty great, a lot of DQ as an overall package is about charm (in the form of its characteristic sound direction and art design) and gameplay. If you're playing DQ for story and it's seriously a hindrance to the game for you, you're beyond missing the point. Especially in relation to DQIX.

    Edit: nevermind, I just caught this.

    The story simply falls flat in several areas, and the story is why I buy DQ games.
    I'm not sure what to even say here. Western and eastern gamers tend to have pretty polarized concepts of gaming, but if there's anything about the US that baffles me, it's this obsession with "story" in RPGs to the point that things have to be cinematic, character-driven, or have an over-arching and mesmerizing storyline, etc. I'm not trying to be rude to you here, I'm simply just baffled by how a gamer cannot simply enjoy what DQ as a series does remarkably perfectly: create a charming environment to accompany fun gameplay. It's not flat. It's just you.
    Last edited by Pochipochi; July 25th, 2010 at 01:56 PM.

  6. #266
    Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Albion

    Default Re: General Dragon Quest thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Gigglepuffy View Post
    While it's true that some DQ stories and characters were pretty great, a lot of DQ as an overall package is about charm (in the form of its characteristic sound direction and art design) and gameplay. If you're playing DQ for story and it's seriously a hindrance to the game for you, you're beyond missing the point. Especially in relation to DQIX.
    DQV is one of the greatest games ever made because of it's story. It sure as hell isn't because of it's gameplay. Monster raising was the only thing of interest there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gigglepuffy View Post
    Edit: nevermind, I just caught this.

    I'm not sure what to even say here. Western and eastern gamers tend to have pretty polarized concepts of gaming, but if there's anything about the US that baffles me,
    Firstly, I'm not American. And if I was so what.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gigglepuffy View Post
    it's this obsession with "story" in RPGs to the point that things have to be cinematic, character-driven, or have an over-arching and mesmerizing storyline, etc.
    What the hell are you talking about. Why shouldn't rpg's have an interesting story. When did I ever say it had to be "cinematic". I don't want some MGS style borefest, I just want what DQ games before have had. Why is this so difficult for you to get your head around.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gigglepuffy View Post
    I'm not trying to be rude to you here, I'm simply just baffled by how a gamer cannot simply enjoy what DQ as a series does remarkably perfectly: create a charming environment to accompany fun gameplay.
    I own every single DQ game save for VI. I have played them all and I know perfectly well what dragon quest games do "remarkably perfectly". V does it. VI does it. VIII does it. IX does not. It has plenty of other things going for it, such as changes to the gameplay, but it does not suck you into its world as previous instalments have.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gigglepuffy View Post
    It's not flat. It's just you.
    Ha ha ha. "It's not the game that's wrong, it's you". IX loses more then it adds from previous instalments. For someone trying not to be rude you're doing a pretty terrible job of it.
    Last edited by Darkstorm; July 25th, 2010 at 02:52 PM.

  7. #267

    Default Re: General Dragon Quest thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkstorm View Post
    DQV is one of the greatest games ever made because of it's story. It sure as hell isn't because of it's gameplay. Monster raising was the only thing of interest there.
    ... Actually, it was its gameplay. Alongside its art, sound direction, and musical scoring. That charming atmosphere was combined with some really enjoyable characters and in the end, it made the game very whole. But even without those characters, it still would've held up quite strongly. Not as much truly, but it's all about the complete package with DQ. DQV certainly did have a fantastic storyline, but that complete package is what made it such a great game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkstorm View Post
    Firstly, I'm not American. And if I was so what.
    My apologies for generalizing. I mostly was illustrating that western perceptions on gaming can be incredibly polarized when compared to the east, which is why Dragon Quest seems to give lots of different impressions from Japan westwards.

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkstorm View Post
    What the hell are you talking about. Why shouldn't rpg's have an interesting story. When did I ever say it had to be "cinematic". I don't want some MGS style borefest, I just want what DQ games before have had. Why is this so difficult for you to get your head around.
    I never said they shouldn't. I said that it should never be such an incredible priority to the extent that first and foremost, people look to the story of an RPG as its most important judgement. I notice far too many people who just look at RPGs and think of this universal standard.

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkstorm View Post
    I own every single DQ game save for VI. I have played them all and I know perfectly well what dragon quest games do "remarkably perfectly". V does it. VI does it. VIII does it. IX does not. It has plenty of other things going for it, such as changes to the gameplay, but it does not suck you into its world as previous instalments have.
    I'm not sure if you "get" Dragon Quest then, as bizarre as that statement is for what is essentially the standard popular JRPG franchise.

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkstorm View Post
    Ha ha ha. "It's not the game that's wrong, it's you". IX loses more then it adds from previous instalments. For someone trying not to be rude you're doing a pretty terrible job of it.
    You're faulting the game for something that isn't of much consequence. The storytelling in DQ has really always been quite well done and I think even here, it's not flat at all, nor is it something that pulls it down any bit. I was just as enthralled as I was in any DQ universe.

    I can understand someone who plays RPGs for "story", however, not enjoying DQIX, considering the characters are roughly inconsequential. But if that is your major fault with it, then you're playing DQIX for, I'm afraid, the wrong reasons. I'd just call it missing the point. Don't fault DQIX for not being the game you want it to be. Earlier in the thread, somebody basically called DQIX "MMO Quest". That's right. It's basically questing, making characters, getting armor, questing some more, just "playing". It does it incredibly well and it was exactly what it was designed to be.
    Last edited by Pochipochi; July 25th, 2010 at 04:04 PM.

  8. #268
    Dancing in September Animesoccer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    California

    Default Re: General Dragon Quest thread

    Honestly guys, "to each their own." Everyone is going to have different opinions on which game they like the best. There are other things, but personally I do look for story in rpgs considering I don't want to role play as inanimate objects. I do enjoy the turn-base battle system of dragon quest and the armor and alchemy system which is also a huge part of rpgs though.

    I like Dragon Quest IX, I just think VIII story just added a bit more that made it special. Also, the dugeons and caves just feel short in IX. I mean the ones in VIII were annoyingly long, but it also brought some satisfaction. It sounds weird, but yea.

    VIII is one of my favorite games ever, so IX just felt a bit dissapointing. It's a personal opinion though.

    Also, I found it funny that you think Americans are concerned with story. Have you seen most of the movies we make? Haha. Also, most people are more concerned with shooting something than they are with rpgs.
    Kelly

  9. #269

    Default Re: General Dragon Quest thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Animesoccer View Post
    Also, I found it funny that you think Americans are concerned with story. Have you seen most of the movies we make? Haha. Also, most people are more concerned with shooting something than they are with rpgs.
    I'm... talking about RPGs though. Not movies, or shooters. The subject I mentioned was rather broad, anyways, and is only slightly related to the subject at hands. Maybe I can blame this on how my English can be too loose. For that I'm sorry. We don't need to talk about it in this case anyways.

    And the issue isn't one that "to each their own" really resolves. If the subject was in regards to it being "fun", maybe, or something that is strictly undebatable.

    But my issue was Darksturm complaining about something that is completely inconsequential in regards to DQIX's quality as a game and it sort of felt as if they approached the game with the wrong things in mind. There are certain things in gaming that, when done well, are never a problem. Good stories are one of them. But lacking a good story (in terms of the inspired or characterized), especially for certain genres and sub-genres of gaming (like the one DQIX falls into) aren't necessities and do not hamper the final product.

  10. #270
    Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Albion

    Default Re: General Dragon Quest thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Gigglepuffy View Post
    But my issue was Darksturm complaining about something that is completely inconsequential in regards to DQIX's quality as a game and it sort of felt as if they approached the game with the wrong things in mind. There are certain things in gaming that, when done well, are never a problem. Good stories are one of them.
    "When you do a story well it's never a problem". What exactly are you even arguing here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gigglepuffy View Post
    But lacking a good story (in terms of the inspired or characterized), especially for certain genres and sub-genres of gaming (like the one DQIX falls into) aren't necessities and do not hamper the final product.
    I assume by saying "lacking a good story aren't necessities"(?) you're trying to say that certain types of game don't require a good story.

    Which is true but has never historically been true for DQ games. Every game has had as detailed a plot as the hardware allowed except for IX. If Horii wants to move away from that, then that's his business but don't try and act like this hasn't always been the case previously.

  11. #271

    Default Re: General Dragon Quest thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkstorm View Post
    "When you do a story well it's never a problem". What exactly are you even arguing here.
    I'm ... not arguing. I was stepping into the point by stating nobody can say a good story is a bad thing, but that it wasn't a necessity. I'm not sure why you're targeting that part of the post.

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkstorm View Post
    I assume by saying "lacking a good story aren't necessities"(?) you're trying to say that certain types of game don't require a good story.

    Which is true but has never historically been true for DQ games. Every game has had as detailed a plot as the hardware allowed except for IX. If Horii wants to move away from that, then that's his business but don't try and act like this hasn't always been the case previously.
    And I'm also not sure what you're getting at here. It feels like you're getting into something else entirely. My point was that DQIX's narrative was not a focal point and to hold it against it was sort of missing what the game was going for.

  12. #272
    Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Albion

    Default Re: General Dragon Quest thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Gigglepuffy View Post
    I'm ... not arguing. I was stepping into the point by stating nobody can say a good story is a bad thing, but that it wasn't a necessity. I'm not sure why you're targeting that part of the post.
    Because it didn't read like that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gigglepuffy View Post
    I'm not sure what you're getting at here. It feels like you're getting into something else entirely. My point was that DQIX's narrative was not a focal point and to hold it against it was sort of missing what the game was going for.
    I know it wasn't and I was disappointed by that based on the previous games where it kind of was. As I already made clear to others. But then you quoted me and said it's never been important and here we are.

  13. #273

    Default Re: General Dragon Quest thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkstorm View Post
    I know it wasn't and I was disappointed by that based on the previous games where it kind of was. As I already made clear to others. But then you quoted me and said it's never been important and here we are.
    I never equated DQIX's lack of story as a series constant, if that's what you're saying or interpreted my post as.

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkstorm View Post
    As I already made clear to others.
    But this is just what is getting me a bit confused right now. I've gone back and read the last page again and I'm simply... just rather confused on your stance and actual opinions of DQIX. I never read any posts that far past the end of page 10, but if it was ever elaborated outside of that, I missed it. There are a couple of posts that sort of pointed to one direction, but other posts that seemed to point in another. I couldn't tell if you actually enjoyed the game/appreciated its direction, but lamented the lack of a narrative, or disliked it because of it. Becuase my posts were only directed at the option the latter presents.

  14. #274
    Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Albion

    Default Re: General Dragon Quest thread

    I appreciate what it has done to move the series forward in terms of gameplay mechanics, and how stuffed to the gills with features it is. But I'm disappointed by the extent to which the story has been pared back and the short amount of time they give to each scenario.

    If I were to score it I'd give it 8/10.

  15. #275

    Default Re: General Dragon Quest thread

    Ahaha, then fuck me, I flat out misinterpreted your post, due to I guess my having missed the full context of your issue. I suppose I feel rather silly now.

  16. #276
    Dancing in September Animesoccer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    California

    Default Re: General Dragon Quest thread

    Well I'm glad it took you guys a full page to finally understand each other ;). But in other news. It there any info on VI? Square Enix's Dragon Quest Website seems to say nothing, but Amazon already has it for preorder....sooooooo?
    Kelly

  17. #277
    Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Albion

    Default Re: General Dragon Quest thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Gigglepuffy View Post
    Ahaha, then fuck me, I flat out misinterpreted your post, due to I guess my having missed the full context of your issue. I suppose I feel rather silly now.
    No worries.

    Quote Originally Posted by Animesoccer View Post
    Well I'm glad it took you guys a full page to finally understand each other ;). But in other news. It there any info on VI? Square Enix's Dragon Quest Website seems to say nothing, but Amazon already has it for preorder....sooooooo?
    Nothing. Hopefully Nintendo have done enough to make IX a success(seems to be doing well on amazon in the UK at least, and retail is spamming the hell out of it) to ensure SE release VI. It's better then square-enix's marketing approach for IV & V at least(or lack thereof).

  18. #278
    Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Albion

    Default Re: General Dragon Quest thread

    Having said that, it looks like SE filed trademarks for "Realms of Reverie" just this week in europe.

    http://www.ffring.com/news/Dragon-Qu...a8193471d.html

  19. #279

    Default Re: General Dragon Quest thread

    I'm just going to say again that I do like DQ IX's story. A lot. It's a good story, just very quick paced.

    Maybe it just doesn't stand out as much because the amount of quests and alchemy work can be addicting and time-consuming, so you don't remain focused on it for as long. Final Fantasy XII had this same problem, but DQ IX is much more nicely presented, in my opinion.

    The overarching theme of the Celestrians and watching over mortalkind intrigues me. I've always enjoyed DQ's ideas involving heavenly beings like the Zenethians and Celestrians (I am still somewhat surprised at them not being Zenethian, since, aside from the halo, they seem quite similar.

    Each town has its own story that is really driven home while you are there. I talk to EVERYONE when I'm in an RPG, and DQ IX has really done a stellar job of having nearly every single NPC comment on the issue at hand both during and in retrospect. The extra commentary adds to my joy with the story, and is something that several other RPGs don't do as well.

    Enjoyment of a story is completely based on opinion, but the story in IX stands next to its DQ brethren perfectly well.

    V may have a more character-driven plot, since you literally watch your character grow through his life over 20 years.

    VII may have a world-building ability with nearly every time having its own charm, but it is weighed down by being so damn SLOW.

    VIII has the deepest and largest world, with a better handled overarching storyline (then again, my joy in IX also has to do with what I don't know. The mystery of WHY certain events have happened is quite interesting to me) in Rhapthorne's return, through possessing those who wield his staff (Dhoulmagus, Jessica, the dog, Marcello) and slaying the descendants of those who sealed him, in addition to a few good town-specific quests.

    But IX isn't bare or without charm. Story-wise it stands right in the style of II, III and IV, especially III. IX seems more a tribute to the roots, jammed with tons of content and a revamped battle system, but it certainly FEELS like a DQ, and that's all that matters to me.

  20. #280

    Default Re: General Dragon Quest thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Animesoccer View Post
    Well I'm glad it took you guys a full page to finally understand each other ;). But in other news. It there any info on VI? Square Enix's Dragon Quest Website seems to say nothing, but Amazon already has it for preorder....sooooooo?
    I'm guessing a Q4 2010/Q1 2011 release. Release seemed a bit shaky after SE saying the sales of IV and V weren't too good but I guess since the title has been trademarked we should still be getting it.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts