+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 68 FirstFirst ... 9 49 57 58 59 60 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 1352

Thread: Dragon Quest thread : DQXI on PS4, 3DS & Switch

Default Re: Dragon Quest thread : DQXI on PS4, 3DS & NX

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age announced for the west, by series creator Yuji Horii

P
    ress Release Info:

DRAGON QUEST XI COMING TO THE WEST IN 2018

Series Creator Yuji Horii Discusses the Latest Addition to the Storied Franchise

LOS ANGELES (July 28, 2017) – Fans of great stories, captivating art and alluring music are certain to rejoice with today’s announcement from SQUARE ENIX® that DRAGON QUEST® XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age TMwill be coming to the West next year.

The highly anticipated latest entry to the beloved DRAGON QUEST video game franchise follows the adventure of a hero who must solve the mystery of his fate with the aid of a charming cast of supporting characters. DRAGON QUEST XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age will offer a world of adventure, exploration and instances of heroism— all brought to life by the character art of famed manga artist Akira Toriyama and the memorable music of composer Koichi Sugiyama.

In an accompanying video, DRAGON QUEST creator Yuji Horii introduces an overview of the game and offers an update on the game’s localization process.
    http://press.na.square-enix.com/releases/1002/dragon-quest-xi-coming-to-the-west-in-2018

N
    o details on which version, but most likely PS4 and Switch (since I'm sure the port will be done by then). Maybe 3DS if Nintendo really wants it.
    Last edited by Jaime; July 28th, 2017 at 08:17 AM.

"In 2018"/ So... January? June? December? Wish they narrowed it down a little bit.

Oh well, Nino Kuni 2 in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
    Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age announced for the west, by series creator Yuji Horii

P
    ress Release Info:

http://press.na.square-enix.com/releases/1002/dragon-quest-xi-coming-to-the-west-in-2018

N
    o details on which version, but most likely PS4 and Switch (since I'm sure the port will be done by then). Maybe 3DS if Nintendo really wants it.
    The 3DS has a huge install base and is still selling extremely well. I think we'll definitely see the 3DS version.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    The 3DS has a huge install base and is still selling extremely well. I think we'll definitely see the 3DS version.
    The PS2 had a huge install base and was selling well, but we didn't get it's version of 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    The PS2 had a huge install base and was selling well, but we didn't get it's version of 5.
    That's actually a good argument for why we may not get the PS4 version. Square Enix doesn't seem to care about properly promoting their products in the west, so unless Nintendo pays to localize them we tend to miss out.

Nintendo is almost definitely publishing again.

It's not a good argument - it's a piece of evidence from over a dozen years ago and TWO lengthy console generations, which is ancient history. They've brought over all the flagship DQ games recently, plus spinoffs. Why would they not put it out on the system with the most sales momentum? That's idiotic.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    It's not a good argument - it's a piece of evidence from over a dozen years ago and TWO lengthy console generations, which is ancient history. They've brought over all the flagship DQ games recently, plus spinoffs. Why would they not put it out on the system with the most sales momentum? That's idiotic.
    Nintendo brought over the Dragon Quest 7 and 8 remakes because Square Enix wasn't going to. SE did publish 3 spinoff games on the PS4, but none of those are RPGs. Dragon Quest X for PS4, the first flagship title to come to a Sony system since Dragon Quest 8 on PS2, went unpublished in the west.

But what about all the spinoffs from this generation they decided not to bring over? For the three we did get, I count NINE that were never westernized: Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3, Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 Professional, Dragon Quest Monsters Wanted, Dragon Quest Monsters Super Light, Dragon Quest Monsters Terry's Wonderland 3D, Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Iru and Luca's Marvelous Mysterious Key, Slime Mori Mori Dragon Quest 3, Dragon Quest Monster Parade, and Dragon Quest of the Stars.

Dragon Quest 10 was also a full blown MMO. Of course that didn't make it here, it wouldn't work at all here. We can agree that it was silly of them to not bring the DS ports over sooner, but leaving 10 in Japan is ABSOLUTELY the right decision, 100%. It would have been a huge mistake to even try. It would have lost so much money it might have killed the franchise forever.

And,.. of course they didn't bring over all those spinoffs. DQ isn't a huge franchise here, it can't support that many titles. Even Assassin's Creed can't support that many titles and spinoffs.

If they want this franchise to *ever* be successful here they're going to push the biggest and best looking version. THey made a legit push back when 8 and 9 came out and those both did well, but they've been the only new games to *really* get a push. We'll probably be getting botht he PS4 and DS versions.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    The port of the game that was at the time 12 years old from the Super Nintendo era, in a sea of other PS2 rpgs, that would have come out within months of Dragon Quest 8 which was getting a real push and looked vastly superior.

It's pretty easy to see why that decision was made..
    Last edited by Robby; July 29th, 2017 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Dragon Quest 10 was also a full blown MMO. Of course that didn't make it here, it wouldn't work at all here. We can agree that it was silly of them to not bring the DS ports over sooner, but leaving 10 in Japan is ABSOLUTELY the right decision, 100%. It would have been a huge mistake to even try. It would have lost so much money it might have killed the franchise forever.
    I agree, it would've been a costly mistake. I was just responding to Stephen's claim that "They've brought over all the flagship DQ games recently, plus spinoffs."

And,.. of course they didn't bring over all those spinoffs. DQ isn't a huge franchise here, it can't support that many titles. Even Assassin's Creed can't support that many titles and spinoffs.
    It still would've been nice if they'd released the third and final DQMJ game. We got the first two, and the 3DS has the largest install base of any system this generation.

It still would've been nice if they'd released the third and final DQMJ game. We got the first two, and the 3DS has the largest install base of any system this generation.
    Well the first one sold 150,000 units in its first year and 40,000 in it's second. The second game sold 40,000 in its first year. Pretty easy to see why they didn't.

Meanwhile over in japan they consistently sell 1.3 million.

Aggravator via Destiny darktravis's Avatar

The news of the western announcement kind of made it hard to focus on the fact that today's the launch date in Japan.
    Next week, the Japanese charts will absolutely nuts (naturally).

Well the first one sold 150,000 units in its first year and 40,000 in it's second. The second game sold 40,000 in its first year. Pretty easy to see why they didn't.

Meanwhile over in japan they consistently sell 1.3 million.
    Joker 1 was properly advertised, Joker 2 had no advertising at all. Only the hardcore fans even knew it existed.

The port of the game that was at the time 12 years old from the Super Nintendo era, in a sea of other PS2 rpgs, that would have come out within months of Dragon Quest 8 which was getting a real push and looked vastly superior.

It's pretty easy to see why that decision was made..
    I just figured it was in line with Square's established flakiness towards releasing the series in the west especially since they didn't much an excuse for having Nintendo publish 9.
    Last edited by Green_vs_Red; July 29th, 2017 at 10:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

All I can do is cross my fingers and hope that the Western release will have voice acting and an orchestrated soundtrack like what happened with VIII. It's a tall order, I know, but let a man dream...

Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar

Joker 1 was properly advertised, Joker 2 had no advertising at all. Only the hardcore fans even knew it existed.
    Plus the hardcore didn't even want it, we wanted Professional.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstorm View Post
    Plus the hardcore didn't even want it, we wanted Professional.
    That's... sadly true. I was one of those people who held out for Professional until Joker 2 was 20 bucks. :(

I got joker 2 and I honestly dislike it. Monster size restriction ruined my fun in making any kind of party. joker 3 did supposedly fix that by allowing you to have giant monsters downsized with nerfed stats but it came out early this year and this year has just been churning out a+ games I never had a window to go back to it.

Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar

Size restriction is the stupidest thing ever and kinda killed the series for me. I want to end the game with three uberbosses.
    Like I think in DWM I ended up with Darkdream and 2 x Deathamoor3, which was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstorm View Post
    Size restriction is the stupidest thing ever and kinda killed the series for me. I want to end the game with three uberbosses.
    Like I think in DWM I ended up with Darkdream and 2 x Deathamoor3, which was awesome.
    You and me both.

I think it's even more amplified since DQM is a solo experience for me. I don't care for online battles all I want is the journey to the most op monsters.

Also I kinda remember DQM J2 endgame being annoying not sure why anymore but it totally dropped that game after getting through the story.

To the shock of no one, DQ11 sells a boatload in Japan. ABout 2 million copies in 2 days.
    http://kotaku.com/goodness-dragon-qu...an-1797457176?

According to Famitsu, it’s estimated that the Nintendo 3DS version sold 1,130,468 copies at retail, while the PS4 version sold another 950,338 copies at retail. These figures do not include download sales, and the reason why the first are only for the first two days is because DQXI’s release was at the end of the sales week.

To put this in context, the Switch and Wii U versions of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild sold a total of 230,981 copies during the game’s first three days out. Splatoon 2 had a huge launch with a estimated 670,955 copies sold at retail in its first three days out, and Pokémon Sun And Moon sold 1,905,107 copies at retail during its first three days.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information