+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading? (Literature)

Default What are you reading? (Literature)

So I looked at the last ten pages, and did a search, but nothing turned up, so I figured I'd start one of these.

I'm interested in finding some new books to read and expanding my horizons.

So this thread is to post about what you're currently reading, what it's about, and what you think of it.

Right now I'm reading The Stand by Stephen King, the uncut edition.
    Blurb:A biological weapon in the form of a superflu has destroyed the world except for a small percentage who are immune to it. This leads to an apocalyptic confrontation between two groups of survivors.
    My thoughts: I'm only about 100 pages in, but so far it has lived up to the hype. I recommend to anyone with a lot of time on their hands. This book clocks in at 1150 pages, so it is a behemoth. Prepare for a long read and a lot of exposition.
    Last edited by Akumu; March 11th, 2010 at 10:00 PM.

Dancing in September Animesoccer's Avatar

Default Re: What are you reading? (Literature)

I read the stand. It's pretty good, even if half the book is character description. I'm reading Hamlet for AP LIT and Sherlock Holmes for personal reading
    Kelly

XD I literally typed "What are you reading" into the search bar and it said no results found.
    Alrighty mods. Merge em if ya wanna.

Quote Originally Posted by Animesoccer View Post
    I read the stand. It's pretty good, even if half the book is character description. I'm reading Hamlet for AP LIT and Sherlock Holmes for personal reading
    Yup, but that's Stephen King for ya.
    We read Hamlet last semester in AP LIT! We just finished up Frankenstein, and are about to start Dorian Gray.

Which Holmes tales?

I read "A Study in Scarlet" and an finishing "The Sign of Four" You get to read Dorian Gray for English? Lucky, I read it for my book club, but I would love to discuss it in class. I don't like AP Lit books as much as previous years. Last year in AP English Composition we read some pretty good pieces of Lit, even though we weren't even suppose to read novels in that class.
    Kelly

Yeah we read a lot more books in Comp last year than we have this year in Lit.... not sure why....
    I'm guessing you're a senior as well?

I'd also recommend Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy. I read it for an outside reading project, and just loved it. Horribly tragic but nonetheless great. Tess of the D-Ubervilles by Hardy is next up on my personal reading list.
    ^^That way this post o' mine is somewhat on topic.....

Yea, I'm a senior.

I've had so much homework this year, I have had hardly any time for free reading. I read Brave New World in Lit. I really liked that one and recommend it if you liked 1984. It offers a different perspective. Last year I read my sister's keeper and I really enjoyed it. I started A Clock Work Orange but never finished it. If you like sci fi, I recommend anything from Micheal Chrichton.
    Kelly

check up from the neck up eerie's Avatar

I'm reading Battle Royale by Koushun Takami. It's okay so far.

A Dream of Eagles by Jack Whyte.

Absolutely amazing series of books, with a real authentic flair given the amount of author research that went into it. Set in Ancient Britain in the time of the withdrawals of the Roman Armies. If anyone saw that King Arthur movie with Clive Owen, it's kinda like that. Except really really good (unlike the movie).

I'm currently on book 7, Uther.

Though I wouldn't suggest it to younger readers, the book tends to get pretty racy at times. Mmmm...
    Last edited by tarrin4ever; March 12th, 2010 at 04:29 PM.

LOVE AND PEACE

Trying to wrap up Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. I love it, but I swear he's nuts to have actually sat down and written in such a style--it's almost Biblical--well, with more scalping and raping.

Wuthering Heights.

Best. Book. Ever. Seriously.

I have to read Persuasion by Jane Austen for my British Literature class. It's incredibly boring so far and extremely hard to follow. I might check out that Wuthering Heights.

If we are lucky, then by the time you read this, I will be dead. If fate frowns, we all perish. The North-Western Mine is located at reference N81.6914, W58.3154. Kill them. Kill them all.

I loved Wuthering Heights. Too bad you're stuck reading Persuasion. That's probably the most blah of Jane Austen's books.

Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar

Small Gods by Terry Pratchett. Not bad, but no Jingo or Fifth Elephant.

Carcharodon Piledriver! Crossword's Avatar

Rama II. It's...not very good.
    ~Stargazer~, an original story.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

I was reading Dan Brown's Angels & Demons, but...I can't seem to focus on it.

The last book I read was "Ликвидирайте Генерала" by Христо Калчев. It's a story about two gangsters, complete anti-heroes, rejected by society and forced to take the path of outlaws, who were given a mission by the CIA to sweep a famous Bulgarian general (the book is based on real events), in an act to disorganise everyone and hide the real goals set by the Russian government. What a marvelous read and I even found the sequels online, but not having the book in front of you is such a discomfort, so I'm looking for the actual printed books.

I barely read anything but children's books that I'm forced to read by my school and I have to say, this book was really something. Not to mention the fact that I didn't have any expectations for it at all in the beginning. Time well spent. I wonder if it's translated in English?

This thread is pretty pointless without quality argumentation as to WHY you're reading a certain book, in my opinion. What good does "oh it's alright" or "meh, pretty boring" do to the undecided reader? Isn't this thread supposed to be stimulating??

not Witcher, not Wizzard Tyndel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstorm View Post
    Small Gods by Terry Pratchett. Not bad, but no Jingo or Fifth Elephant.
    Do you have Unseen Academicals and do you recommend it? Because I've nothing to read right now.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

Romeo & Juliet......just in case Brennens interested.
    Last edited by SMUDGE; March 12th, 2010 at 01:51 PM. Reason: lol

Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndel View Post
    Do you have Unseen Academicals and do you recommend it? Because I've nothing to read right now.
    It's fairly good. Not one of his best, though I enjoyed it enough while I was reading it.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information