+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading? (Literature)

not Witcher, not Wizzard Tyndel's Avatar

Default Re: What are you reading? (Literature)

Thanks, I wait for the paperback then.

Stuck in the Time Vortex CalMc123's Avatar

I'm currently reading The Great Gatsby - wonderful book.

Dancing in September Animesoccer's Avatar

I liked the Great Gatsby. What's the worst book anyone has ever had to read for a class?
    Kelly

I'm reading One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and the Silmarillion. Next I have to find a copy of Paradise Lost so my brain can explode.

Quote Originally Posted by Animesoccer View Post
    What's the worst book anyone has ever had to read for a class?
    This book called The Maze. Long story short, it made me hate hang gliders and condors.

I am rereading Candied by Voltaire and Think by Simon Blackburn for my Philosophy class. Think is pretty good it is dense but readable. Candied is amazing I suggest everyone should read it.

The Best books I ever had to read for school: To Kill a Mockingbird,Lord of the Flies, The Stranger by Camus,Candied, All quite on the Western Front Hamlet and King Lear.

Worst Books: Bless me Ultima(terrible couldn't give two shits about the characters),Great Gatsby(never got into it), American Psycho(read this for a free read with a group of friends Jounior year Seriously a vile and disgusting book made me nauseous) and of course Inherit the Wind(I hate this book more than I hate Avatar)
    Last edited by BBTEACH; March 12th, 2010 at 06:55 PM.

Persuasion.

I forgot to mention what I'm reading for myself. I think it was last year, I bought a collection of books printed by Arkham House of Lovecraft stories. I've already read all of them but am reading them again. I'm currently on the story "The Whisperer in Darkness" which I'm glad I'll finish before the HPLHS movie comes out. If anyone's interested you can get them here or on Amazon. They're $30 each but I think it's well worth it.

Edit: I need to get that Miscellaneous Writings. Though I'd like to know everything that's in it.
    Last edited by Sakonosolo; March 12th, 2010 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CalMc123 View Post
    I'm currently reading The Great Gatsby - wonderful book.
    I love that book! The ending is so...perfect.

Great Expectations. I hate Dickens, and this is the most pointless novel I have ever seen. Moby Dick is up on my hate list too, but it does have a saving grace in Queequeg.

Quote Originally Posted by BBTEACH View Post
    The Best books I ever had to read for school: To Kill a Mockingbird,Lord of the Flies, The Stranger by Camus,Candied, All quite on the Western Front Hamlet and King Lear.

Worst Books: Bless me Ultima(terrible couldn't give two shits about the characters),Great Gatsby(never got into it), American Psycho(read this for a free read with a group of friends Jounior year Seriously a vile and disgusting book made me nauseous) and of course Inherit the Wind(I hate this book more than I hate Avatar)
    Lord of the Flies is amazing. A nice short read that leaves a lasting impact.
    American Psycho is on my list to read, after The Exorcist and The Little Stranger. I live the horror/thriller genre, so American Psycho is right up my street. In fact I've probably read or even written worse.

I never read Lord of the Flies. A few of my favorite books I've read for school are To Kill a Mockingbird and Of Mice and Men. I think we're reading Silas Marner later in the year but I'm not sure. It sounds pretty good.

Of Mice and Men is probably my favorite Steinbeck novel. I had to read East of Eden this year. I wouldn't recommend it unless you like being annoyed 99% of the time.

Dancing in September Animesoccer's Avatar

I think The Awakening was one of the worst. I hated the cliche metaphor. Also, Guliver's travels was was too long and dull for my sophmore self. Good idea, but unexciting. Iv'e liked most book I have read, even the books most people don't like (All Quiet on the western front and Catcher in the Rye)
    Kelly

Dante's Inferno, so far its good

I've grown real fond of Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stachouse Adventures Novels, I'm up to the tenth book in the series now, (i think) it's called Dead and Gone.

Quote Originally Posted by AlienIncubus View Post
    My friend agrees, he wanted to check it out of the library, but it was already out :(
    Quote Originally Posted by sanji499 View Post
    I wonder what was Bale's reaction when the stunt double broke the imax camera?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    In the United States we don't have much manga around, specifically One Piece, and mainly the newer chapters - Jan 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Flux View Post
    My friend agrees, he wanted to check it out of the library, but it was already out :(
    When it comes back, GET IT! You definitely wont regret.

Quote Originally Posted by AlienIncubus View Post
    You should read the rest of the Divine Comedy then. Pugatorio is so-so, but Paradiso is fantastic, at least as good as the Inferno.

If you like those, I would recommend Paradise Lost and Paradise Regained by Milton if you haven't read them.

While I'm on the topic of Epic poetry, The Aeneid by Virgil (yes, the same as in The Inferno) is awesome. The of course you have Homer's epics which are just so-so in my opinion.

But yeah, I love Epic Poetry. Anyone have any suggestions on other epics I should read?

^ We're studying Epic Poetry, sorta at the minute, we're going through Metamorphosises(?) in Latin.

I like Nisus and Euryalus, and then there's Ceyx and Alcyene, though I'm sure you've probably read those.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanji499 View Post
    I wonder what was Bale's reaction when the stunt double broke the imax camera?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    In the United States we don't have much manga around, specifically One Piece, and mainly the newer chapters - Jan 2011

Actually, I haven't read any of those! Thanks for giving me something else to read over spring break!
    Last edited by Akumu; March 14th, 2010 at 08:46 AM.

Right now i'm reading Peter the great-His life and his world by Robert K Massie.

Are "The Last Olympian" books any good?

Da Vinci Code... Its better then the movie...
    Quote Originally Posted by xterm
    The problem with [the world] is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
    Thanks Sky for the Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kmohyudin View Post
    Da Vinci Code... Its better then the movie...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information