+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 41 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading? (Literature)

Default Re: What are you reading? (Literature)

Quote Originally Posted by Senshi Mizaka View Post
    Ever since I got a Kindle, I've been taking advantage of the free classics. Just a few weeks ago, I finished reading The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. Now, I'm working on Don Quixote. I never had much of an opinion on classic literature, but I'm really starting to change my mind.
    I've been meaning to get into the Sherlock Holmes stories recently. A question though, how's it like reading it, in terms of pace and entertainment? Not that it'll change whether or not I choose to read it, but just curious.

Currently still working my way through Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. Almost done with Fantine, and it's quite interesting seeing Jean ValJean develop.

Just started "The Farthest Shore" by Ursula K. Le Guin, just finished "The Shelters of Stone" by Jean M. Auel.

Reverse the polarity! Senshi Mizaka's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DarkFalcon View Post
    Just started "The Farthest Shore" by Ursula K. Le Guin, just finished "The Shelters of Stone" by Jean M. Auel.
    I read that, too. To me, the Earth's Children series started to decline with Plains of Passage. I appreciate getting immersed into a book through the scenery, but Auel went a little overboard. Plus, she recaps the plot of the previous books a little too much. I can understand why, since there was such a big gap between the books' releases. But, I read them one after another, and it got really annoying.

Just started reading "The Lorien Legacies" curious what will happen next after watching "I am number four".

Here are the books/ series That i like:
    - Hunger Games Trilogy (a year ago)
    - Divergent (waiting for Insurgent to be out on May)
    - I am Number Four
    - Fault In Our Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Senshi Mizaka View Post
    I read that, too. To me, the Earth's Children series started to decline with Plains of Passage. I appreciate getting immersed into a book through the scenery, but Auel went a little overboard. Plus, she recaps the plot of the previous books a little too much. I can understand why, since there was such a big gap between the books' releases. But, I read them one after another, and it got really annoying.
    basically I agree, 3 first books were much better, especially "The Clan of the Cave Bear", but it took me about 3 months to finish the Plains, that book sure got some unnecessary scenes - it could be good 200 pages shorter, Shelters aren't that bad though, only too much of the recaps. I still have last book to go.

Murderous Manatees Rogues' Gallery's Avatar

About to start Michael Crichton's signature novel, Jurassic Park. I remember renting it in a library some 4 years ago and reading it then, but it's always nice to refresh my memory after so long.

"Ahh, the Ocean! Salty and full a' dead shit that shouldn't be brought back up. Ain't it grand? What I like best, though, is that it's nice n' quiet here. Picturesque, peaceful, private - A fitting place for sea tragedies and your fuckin' remains to rest."

Atonement by Ian McEwan.

Not pretty far into it yet but I saw the movie...

Want to read the girl with the dragon tattoo afterwards.

Visit me on Facebook: Heart'n'Skull

Reading Spellwright by Blake Charlton, amazing fantasy books where words are literally the Magic, where sentences have magical capabilities and the protagonist is Dyslexic meaning he cant do magic without fucking things up. Unique magic system

Kokoro By Natsume Souseki.

just finished "Liar (in original: Kłamca) 4, Kill 'em all" by Jakub Ćwiek - good stuff, angelic fantasy, violence, sex, gore, Apocalypse, elves, pop-cultural references, teddy bear - motive with teddy bear was kinda sad actually (my own teddy bear, coincidentally named Loki, surely feels sad about it too), especially since the teddy is with us from the vol. 1.
    Spoiler:

Carcharodon Piledriver! Crossword's Avatar

Star By Star, just as gory as I remember it being ten years ago.

Also, A Tale of Sand, a graphic novel of an old, reject screenplay written by Jim Henson. It's quite surreal, and the imagery's interesting, but I can see why no one wanted to turn it into a movie.
    ~Stargazer~, an original story.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

I began to read Harry Potter again. Just love it.

Had to read A Scandal in Bohemia for my English class recently and I got that tingling in the back of my neck that says I am about to get obsessed with something for a few months. In a couple of days I'll go to Barnes and Noble and pick up the complete stories of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and there will be no stopping me. On top of that I am in love with the BBC series at the moment and am making my way threw the second series as we speak(check the avatar).

read.

Just finished reading "Marcelo In the Real World." Suuuuupppaaaa good book. A must read. It's about a high functioning autistic boy working in a law office over the summer. Surprisingly adult, but also childlike. It really is a child stepping into the real world. Reminds me a lot of when I got my first job. Seriously, read this book. Two others I read recently are "Looking For Alaska" and "The Fault In Our Stars." Both by John Green. Stars is crazy good book. Better than Marcelo even. It's about cancer from a cancer patients perspective. Very eye opening. Very funny a well. And very sad. "I'm on a roller coaster that only goes up, my friend." That's a quote from one of the characters. I love it. The other John Green book, "Looking for Alaska," is his first published novel. It's not that good, but somewhat nostalgic for me. Very reminiscent of my year at arts high school. The characters are likable but also not likable. But really the book is sub par. Anyways. I definitely suggest "Marcelo In the Real World" and "The Fault In Our Stars." Also, John Green has many fantastic YouTube videos.

Legendary Hero Assassiland loneassassin's Avatar
    A solid gold house with a rocket car in front

Re-read "John Dies at the End" again. god, I love this book so much. Probably gonna finish A Clash of Kings and then jump head first into A Storm of Swords

3DS Friend Code: 3454-0518-6166

Recently finished Kafka on the Shore, and about two-thirds through 1Q84 now...
    Art! (now with Dragon Slayer Ornstein, Limbo Boy, and La Mulana's Lemeza!!):
    http://awasai.deviantart.com/
    http://forums.arlongpark.org/showthread.php?t=18293

not Witcher, not Wizzard Tyndel's Avatar

Genes, Peoples and Languages by Luigi Luca Cavalli-Sforza
    The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle
    The Absolute Sandman by Neil Gaiman

Since I'm finally out of school I have the time to read all the stuff I'm interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by loneassassin View Post
    Re-read "John Dies at the End" again. god, I love this book so much.
    No, shut up. I'll read it again.
    "Trust him with me...I WANT TO WRONG JIGGLE."
    Crack Navigator for the Fandom Pirates

No et moi .

sort of skimming through The Elephant Vanishes

also reading some poetry by Orlovsky and Lawrence

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information