+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading? (Literature)

Default Re: What are you reading? (Literature)

Autobiographies of Chris Jericho, Batista and Mick foley
    <Avi Drawing Credit to PirateNeko
    My DeviantArt:http://mediafan658.deviantart.com/
    My FC is 3308-4620-6155

Dancing in September Animesoccer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cream-of-Chicken View Post
    Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
    *beats head on book*
    I'm trying to put off reading The Stranger for as long as I can
    D:
    The Stranger isn't that bad....unless you have to write on it, It is pretty interesting. It's about existentialism and the absurdity of life. The hard part if figuring what he is trying to say about them.

I should finish Clock Work Orange....I started it a while ago. Currently I have been reading a lot of Jodi Picoult(not literature). Her books are an easy read but still interesting.
    Kelly

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
    *beats head on book*
    I'm trying to put off reading The Stranger for as long as I can
    D:
    Really? I'm no Camus fan, but he's certainly better J.K. Rowling; Harry Potter is the Naruto of literature.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucephalus View Post
    Really? I'm no Camus fan, but he's certainly better J.K. Rowling; Harry Potter is the Naruto of literature.
    Well that's because harry potter is not literature, it's commerical fiction.

The Stranger and harry potter are both fine. It depends on your mood
    Kelly

wani here wani there

erm, never heard of the Camus fellow but I rather thought that Twilight is the naruto of literature.
    Hiking Bear 2011

Twilight = Bleach
    Harry Potter = Naruto

i'm reading atlas shrugged by ayn rand. ^ ^ i read the fountainhead a couple years ago and absolutely loved it, so i finally got my hands on a copy of atlas shrugged. i've read the first two chapters so far, it's already pretty good.

recently i read through about half of lolita. omg. i couldn't even finish it, the book was freaking me out so much. the author, i forget his name, is so good at writing. i rarely find books that actually make me feel terrible when i read them, most of the time it's just like, a fun story or something, you know? but lolita... uhg, i don't know how anyone can get themselves to finish that book. the main character is just so wretched, and the writer somehow gets you to relate to him anyway, which in-turn makes you feel wretched as well. i definitely recommend at least trying to read this book though! it's really famous for a reason. :[

I just finished Inside the Kaisha.

It's probably boring as shit if you don't know/care about real life in Japan but getting a different perspective on Japanese culture from two people that are businessmen and not anthropologists is fascinating at fuck.

An amazing read for anyone interested in real life here.

Resident Librarian of AP Captain Ugly's Avatar

Twilight = Bleach
    Harry Potter = Naruto
    I died laughing!

on Camus,
    I've read "The Stranger"
    is good.
    But Complicated

Another book I read not long ago that was
    "O Cortišo" of Aluisio de Azevedo.
    Brazil is one of the literary poles world.
    and as I said I'm reading Crime and Punishment
    but I stopped because of exams
    Last edited by Captain Ugly; June 26th, 2010 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Animesoccer View Post
    The Stranger isn't that bad....unless you have to write on it, It is pretty interesting. It's about existentialism and the absurdity of life. The hard part if figuring what he is trying to say about them.

I should finish Clock Work Orange....I started it a while ago. Currently I have been reading a lot of Jodi Picoult(not literature). Her books are an easy read but still interesting.
    I have to read it for school, so did my sister...she hated it, and we usually have the same views about books we read.

What makes you think this? Just curious.

Well that's because harry potter is not literature, it's commerical fiction.

The Stranger and harry potter are both fine. It depends on your mood
    Maybe, but you can probably find more literary techniques in Harry Potter than in Twilight; Harry Potter is, in general, written much better than Twilight (I'm not going into details, I'm sure someone else has elsewhere). It may not be on the same degree as The Stranger or Pride & Prejudice, but they are a fine series of books that raised a generation. My generation. So I love the books, and I most likely always will.
    Let's not turn this thread into an argument over weather or not Harry Potter is considered literature, it's been done somewhere before.

erm, never heard of the Camus fellow but I rather thought that Twilight is the naruto of literature.
    I'm more inclined to agree with this statement, by personal preference. To each his own, though.

Harry Potter is one of if not the best Book Series of the last 10 years.
    Twilight is overhyped, as most of the media and hype about it is about Robert Pattinson.
    Last edited by Flux; June 22nd, 2010 at 03:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanji499 View Post
    I wonder what was Bale's reaction when the stunt double broke the imax camera?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    In the United States we don't have much manga around, specifically One Piece, and mainly the newer chapters - Jan 2011

Harry Potter is what got me, and a lot of peope my age, into reading. Whether or not it's "Literature" doesn't matter.
    However, it has all the archetypes of classic literature, and, as my old english teach liked to say, all the characteristics of an epic.
    Other people will disagree with this statement and that's perfectly fine; to each his own.

Whether it's this or that, it's still a fun read, and something I will definitely read to my kids one day.

Discovered Stowaway killerbee1000's Avatar

Worlds at World:The 2,500 year struggle between east and west by Anthony Pagden.
    The worst book I've read was Our Town.

I think the worst book I've ever read is Great Expectations.

Right now, I am reading Nietzsche's Thus Spoke Zarathustra.
    Not actually literature, I know, but it's what I'm reading.

Literature? Sorry it's the summer... time out on the literature and textbooks..

Quote Originally Posted by Akumu View Post
    Harry Potter is what got me, and a lot of peope my age, into reading. Whether or not it's "Literature" doesn't matter.
    However, it has all the archetypes of classic literature, and, as my old english teach liked to say, all the characteristics of an epic.
    Other people will disagree with this statement and that's perfectly fine; to each his own.

Whether it's this or that, it's still a fun read, and something I will definitely read to my kids one day.
    Exactly. If I say so myself I'm quite brilliant at English - I can tell you now, I'd not be as good at it if I'd not read Harry Potter, it made reading, and English
    fun for me, and allowed me to develop a genuine interest in literature, in fact, I want to be an English teacher so I daresay the books have influenced my whole life !

Brilliant Series indeed ! :)
    Quote Originally Posted by sanji499 View Post
    I wonder what was Bale's reaction when the stunt double broke the imax camera?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    In the United States we don't have much manga around, specifically One Piece, and mainly the newer chapters - Jan 2011

What makes you think this? Just curious.
    Well, I could really go into depth, but I'll just keep it simple; it's just mediocre storytelling. I actually think the background (Rowling was a destitute pregnant woman who needed money or something) is more interesting than the series itself. Really, I wouldn't have as much of a problem with the series itself if it wasn't for the ravenous and terrible fans it's amassed over the years. There's loads of bias in my thinking because of that. Popularity contributes to the problem (not saying that popular books are bad; just that it's ridiculous that such a poorly written CHILDREN's book has been loved and adored by people above the age of 13). As long as someone doesn't claim Harry Potter is a fantastically written tome of previously unexplored wisdom and creativity, then I don't have too many gripes with that person; it's the point when he/she has read almost nothing else yet still raves about Harry Potter as if they've spent an entire lifetime searching for the perfect book and HP has achieved said title.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux View Post
    Harry Potter is one of if not the best Book Series of the last 10 years.
    maybe for 10 year olds
    what
    just
    what..
    Quote Originally Posted by Akumu View Post

lol
    When I was three months old, my Dad gave me Crime and Punishment and I read it in a day, understanding every word of it. And it was untranslated.

No, but really, if Harry Potter gets you into other literature (just like Naruto may get you into other manga), it's useful. Most of my feelings come from my generations view on books. Just look at Facebook; common favorite books include "lol who reads," "sorry im illiterate," and "HARRY POTTER, TWILIGHT, MOTHER GOOSE NURSERY RHYMES, WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS."
    Last edited by Bucephalus; June 22nd, 2010 at 05:41 PM. Reason: No, but really, if Harry Potter gets you into o

I kinda agree that harry potter is kinda like naruto. I liked the first few books then it kinda got ehh. Twilight is only comparable to trash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4uuGvmAxTI
    Kelly

I've read all the Twilight and Harry Potter books (I don't like to completely hate books if I've never even read them, which seems to be a trend nowadays), and I can honestly say that I enjoyed Twilight more. Even if the writing is garbage in both books, I have to admit that Twilight did have a few cool concepts. It took the standard Romeo and Juliet relationship and bent it out of proportions, adding extremely supernatural twists; a cool idea if I may say. Too bad the plot was fucking terrible.

Has anyone read a Modest Proposal by Jonathan Swift? One of the best satires ever. Too bad we were foced to read Gulliver's Travels by him after. Even if it was an honors english class, it was a bad idea making sophomores read Gulliver's Travels
    Kelly

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information