+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: How to train your dragon

Default Re: How to Train Your Dragon

Might see it, however, I have pretty much hated every Dreamworks movie I have ever seen (including ones people here love such as Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs).

Quote Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
    Defeats the point IMO. The critics are saying "see this in 3D" and I definitely want to see it like that
    3D isn't an option for me due to my eyesight. If 3D is that big a part of the film being good, then it's NOT a good film. If a film depends on a gimmick, then there's a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by RuNa View Post
    Might see it, however, I have pretty much hated every Dreamworks movie I have ever seen (including ones people here love such as Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs).
    That wasn't a Dreamworks film, but was made by Sony.

Anyway, How to Train Your Dragon is not a groundbreaking film in terms of plot, but it's a very solid one with very nice animation particularly towards the end of the film. It's well worth seeing especially while it's still out in theaters.
    Complicating things since 2009.

wow was just checking rotton tomatoes and this movie has a 97 right now.

A real rain will come... JERK DISEASE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Insider2000 View Post
    Gerard Butler and Craig Ferguson INTENTIONALLY being stereotypical Irishmen? SOLD!
    Scottish Vikings =/= Irish.

Quote Originally Posted by JERK DISEASE View Post
    Scottish Vikings =/= Irish.
    I don't give a fuck.

A real rain will come... JERK DISEASE's Avatar

Do not go in any bars past the Rhode Island border with that attitude. This is for your own good.

Quote Originally Posted by JERK DISEASE View Post
    Do not go in any bars past the Rhode Island border with that attitude. This is for your own good.
    True. That's like stepping into APForums with the Jerk Disease.

Wait a minute...

Well, I cleared out my deadline, hopefully I'll be able to see this THIS weekend. I hope. Chris Sanders is my boy. After Mulan and Lilo & Stitch, he gets the benefit of the doubt and a theatrical viewing for at least a couple more movies. Him and Brad Bird.

Quote Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
    but what costs you $10 for a non-3D ticket (?) costs $15 for me over a normal $7 general admission ticket. Split amongst three people...that's $21 bucks more. Enough to go eat dinner!
    Wait. Weren't you giving me a hassle for not geting around to seeing Princess and the Frog in theatres (for a while), because I don't think the price is worth the one time viewing generally, especially if you take friends along?
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Dreamworks needs to keep up with this. Easily one of my favorite 3d films I've watched in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Insider2000 View Post
    Gerard Butler and Craig Ferguson INTENTIONALLY being stereotypical Irishmen? SOLD!

Question! How do the manage to show....

MASSIVE MOVIE SPOILER
    Spoiler:

Hiccup losing his leg?
    Spoiler:

Watch the movie!! :D

... I'm sorry, I couldn't resist xD

エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robbybedfart View Post
    Wait. Weren't you giving me a hassle for not geting around to seeing Princess and the Frog in theatres (for a while), because I don't think the price is worth the one time viewing generally, especially if you take friends along?
    Yeah I was, but PatF's ticket price was at least less than the price of the DVD. The DVD price is my max willingness to pay, since I only see movies once anyway anything at that price or below I'll go see.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    Making Anime and Manga OBSOLETE since 2006
    PM me for details

how much is the matinee where you guys live

Treasure Cruise ID: 785,854,335
    LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

I've always liked dragons, so this movie peaked my interest. With all the good stuff being said about it, my interest is peaked even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    That wasn't a Dreamworks film, but was made by Sony.

Anyway, How to Train Your Dragon is not a groundbreaking film in terms of plot, but it's a very solid one with very nice animation particularly towards the end of the film. It's well worth seeing especially while it's still out in theaters.
    Alright, cool. Might see it, but looking at wiki's list once Shrek started I have never liked any dreamworks movie (liked the stuff before...hmm....wonder why) [didn't catch Kung-fu Panda though].

I guess it does get some credit in that it is based off a book (which means that it has a higher chance of being better than something they produced in house to me).

It's not your typical Dreamworks film by any means. Sadly, barring a sharp uptick in its second weekend or a minimal dropoff, it looks like it's going to be judged a financial failure since it made less money in its opening weekend than Monsters vs. Aliens, which was considered a bit of a disappointment itself. Apparently, it only made about three quarters of what they were projecting it to make.

Which just goes to show (with the exception of Pixar films), the better a movie is, the less money it's going to make while the reverse is also true. The next Shrek movie will probably make half a billion dollars or so.
    Complicating things since 2009.

I Love this film!

I agree, it's not a typical Dreamworks film. My main issue with most of their other ones is that they used too many pop culture references and gags but this one had a different feel. A better one.

Go check it out. Gorgeous animation, design and music and it really was a fun ride! I'm hoping watch it in theaters again, in 2D this time.

@Ubiq- That's really sad to hear. A quote from my friend comes to mind, "the general public loves crap"...

Which just goes to show (with the exception of Pixar films), the better a movie is, the less money it's going to make while the reverse is also true.
    i think it's more of a marketing problem. it's not like the film had fuzzy little critters singing well known songs in squeeky high pitched voices

although, dreamworks also has the unfortunate reputation of creating crap movies, so the other side of the spectrum, the animation fans and the more mature audiences, are more likely to write off any movie they come up with

Treasure Cruise ID: 785,854,335
    LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

Ho boy. I was expecting a good film.
    Instead, I got a heapin' helping of OH MY GOD THEY DID EVERYTHING RIGHT!!!
    Spoiler:

In the first half hour of the movie, they manage to introduce all the dragons, their relationship with the vikings, and how to deal with them. Then we get a subplot where Hiccup learns more about the dragon world, and the two learn to work together. These were my favorite parts because:
    1. I love it when a silent character works out, and Toothless counts.
    2. The movie totally depended on Hiccup and Toothless needing each other. Hiccup needs to learn about dragons, and Toothless needs to fly. The epitome of their relationship is established when it's shown that they need each other to fly. If only one of these two was totally dependent on the other, I'm willing to bet that the movie would've fallen apart (or come close).
    The only complaints I have are:
    1. The climatic battle against the mega dragon. It was good, it just didn't have everything I wanted (I really wanted to see the two headed dragon at work).
    2. The part where everyone thinks Hiccup died. Goddammit, if I want crap like that, I'll watch Pokemon/Care Bears/what the hell ever sappy movie has done this before.
    On a final note, I loved that the low point of the movie wasn't about Hiccup being an idiot, but rather his dad being an idiot and him having to face the consequences.

4.9 stars out of 5 for me.

Yes! I love the storytelling. It was smart, it made sense, there wasn't random useless filler.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles the Dark View Post

Spoiler:

The only complaints I have are:
    1. The climatic battle against the mega dragon. It was good, it just didn't have everything I wanted (I really wanted to see the two headed dragon at work).
    Spoiler:

I agree, I expected some more "smart dragon tricks" and less "pure firepower beatdown" for the final battle. I actually almost expected them to dump a barrel of eel at the giant dragon.. though that might just be wishful thinking cuz I want to see that happen haha.

And I agree, Hiccup was a great main character for being not-an-idiot. I love it when main characters don't do or say things that make me cringe.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information