+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: How to train your dragon

Default Re: How to train your dragon

Has anyone read the book? I hear the story has been turned upside down? Which one's better, the book or the movie? (I've only seen the movie, and loved it).

Quote Originally Posted by Xai View Post
    Has anyone read the book? I hear the story has been turned upside down? Which one's better, the book or the movie? (I've only seen the movie, and loved it).
    After seeing the movie I looked into the books and checked wikipedia on them. The main characters are named Hiccup and Toothless... that's about where the similarity ends.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_train_your_dragon

Pretty much everything I actually liked about the movie... seems to have been made up for the movie. The books sound terrible, (and also written for the 10 and under crowd) the dragons talk, oothless is an actual toothless dragon who had all his teeth fall out, and I pretty much lost all interest upon finding out Hiccup's best friend is an asthmatic named Fishlegs. (In the movie he was the minor character D&D geek) And Astrid apparently isn't in the books at all.

Maybe the books are decent but... they are definatley NOT the movie.
    Last edited by Robby; April 27th, 2010 at 11:04 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Disney takes a similar route with a lot of their stories. If they followed the source material any closer they wouldn't be fun to watch at all. Have you read the plot of of the original Bambi?

I saw this movie on Sunday, and I think it's possibly Dreamwork's best as far as 3D animated films go. Only thing that kept bugging me is "why do the kids not have accents".

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Still looks to be more of a similarity than Shrek had with its source book..
    この世に悪があるとすればそれは人の心だ。

That is awesome news, I was hoping this would get a bit more then one movie with how much I enjoyed it.
    Wheel of morality turn, turn, turn.

sequel yay

tv series BOOO

Treasure Cruise ID: 785,854,335
    LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

This movie is supreme. The inevitible sequel had better be just as good. Maybe then I'll see it in theaters.
    ΩMEGA PIRATES: ? Members
    Captain: Zkaiser
    Threat Level: Pink
    Goal: Prove the Elemental Haki Theory

エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by taboo View Post
    tv series BOOO
    Introducing Father of the Flight, hosted by Spyro!
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    Making Anime and Manga OBSOLETE since 2006
    PM me for details

Quote Originally Posted by taboo View Post
    sequel yay

tv series BOOO
    This .
    Wheel of morality turn, turn, turn.

Just found this image from the japanese release poster. Really cool... and I think its interesting that the art direction and layout, and even the style of the logo, is incredibly reminiscant of the Miyazaki posters. Obviously how they tried to push it there... which is pretty fair considering the gorgeous backgrounds and how the story was about two kids exploring and playing around a cute monster.

To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Aaw, that poster is so cute! ;A;

And great if there's coming a sequel~! Hopefully it will be the same quality as the first one. Maybe that's too much asked, tho.
    I'll say boo for tv-series too. (Whoa, that rhymes. I'm such a Vista.) Well, if they are really making the series, I highly doubt that it'll come to Finland. So I have no worries then, I guess. |D
    ~ 2nd in command in Vepe's pack ~

An excellent film albeit a bit cheesy in the end. The characters were excellent though especially Hiccup and Toothless. Astrida gets a special mention for the very well done turn around she had. I think I loved the World-Building the most though especially the way the dragons were handled as a group of reptilian animal species rather than just mythical creatures.

I've come to expect a tv series whenever a Dreamworks movie does good now ;p

Anyways, nice to hear the franchise is still going to be going for a while, I'd love to see more of it.
    I'm gonna reach for the stars~~~

Bumping this...

How to Train Your Dragon coming out on bluray and dvd next week! (in North America) Who's getting it?

Hercules and Aladin has great TV runs! So did Lilo and Stitch.

Then again the llama king one did not...

Quote Originally Posted by Ichnob View Post
    Bumping this...

How to Train Your Dragon coming out on bluray and dvd next week! (in North America) Who's getting it?
    Ha, it WOULD!

Just when everything else I want is coming out around that time too Time to do some strategic buying!

http://io9.com/5828781/how-to-train-...adway-entrails

How To Train Your Dragon’s stage show will feast on Spider-Man’s Broadway entrails

Now this is a movie-inspired kids stage show we'd pay money to see. Check out the first ever footage form the Melbourne stage production of How To Train Your Dragon.

The production looks a lot like the very popular traveling show, Walking With Dinosaurs, only with dragons. This is not a bad thing. So, when can we ride the Deadly Nadder? The show is (hopefully) making the rounds across the globe and will wind up in the States soon!

Yes please.

They put em in Smash Bros! Conekiller's Avatar

Ahhh! I bumped the "non Disney" thread with this vid, but it fits better here, and has more info as to what it actually is.
    [
    Please visit my Deviant art gallery.
    There will be Punch and Pie!

Way yonder behind on this, but after watching this a few times, think this might be the most satisfying movie I've seen in years. Very simple storyline, simple character motivations, but by not trying to do too much, it met every expectation I could possibly have. Plus, add in the factor that I'm a sucker for "boy and his dog" stories as well as flight...yeah.

Most of all, I wanted to bump this to put in a word for its soundtrack. Some of the earlier posts praised it and the like, but I honestly believe it's the best soundtrack to a movie I've heard in the last five years. Admittedly, some of this is because the soundtrack matches the action so perfectly, but, I mean, check out some of these tracks:

Forbidden Friendship:
    Spoiler:

Test Drive:
    Spoiler:

*sniffle*

Admittedly, I'm 28 years old, and there's a part of me that thinks I should be getting past all the stuff I loved when I was a kid. But this movie captured it all so perfectly, I still have trouble listening to the soundtrack without getting a lump in my throat.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information