+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The Immigrants / Minorities Thread !

Default Re: The Immigrants / Minorities Thread !

Since I grew up in Germany I am not an immigrant, but my father is.

I am 1/2 Italian (my dad is 100% Italian), 1/4 German, 1/4 White Russian (my mom is 50-50 ^^).
    Though I just speak German of those three possible languages

Spoiler:

I'm English. Father's side has been Irish for 6 generations, and before that, Scottish.

Mother's side has flavourings from Finland, Belgium and France.

About immigration? I'm British. Immigration in my country is quite an annoyance.
    Last edited by IrishLuigi; April 30th, 2010 at 11:23 AM. Reason: May I point out the malice in the "quite"?

1/4 French, 1/4 Irish, 1/4 Egyptian, 1/4 English. I hope learning that has been a fufilling experience for you.

Not an Immigrant, but part of a minority, to go into detail, Serbian living in Switzerland.

See you in another life! Mugiwara_no_Ice's Avatar

That's weird how could a serbian in switzerland not be an immigrant?
    Is there an ancient Serbian colony in Switzerland or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Airflow View Post
    1/4 French, 1/4 Irish, 1/4 Egyptian, 1/4 English. I hope learning that has been a fufilling experience for you.
    The egyptian part caught me off guard
    Now I must wonder how your parents met, with such different nationalities in your family. Probably quite an intersting story...
    Last edited by tigerlilly; May 1st, 2010 at 10:49 AM. Reason: and yes it was fulfilling, thanks for asking ^^

I will bump this thread, since it's revelant to my interests and I shall ask a question too for good measure.

Is there anyone in here who immigrated in the USA on their own or even with family? A 1st generation immigrant? Can you share your experience with me (in PM if you don't want to here) with that? Difficulties you met before and after immigrating to the US, the process you went through and whatever else you consider important.

Chrissie wants a life in the USA. Yes, she does!
    My 3DS Friend Code: 1091 - 8457 - 8212

~Rock and Roll~

Proud Translator of MHA Gliblord's Avatar

I'm a first generation immigrant, and double citizen. Came with my family when I was around 3 (my mom had already lived in America for some time before temporarily returning to Italy). It was mostly because of my learning disabilities that my family moved.

I was super young so I don't know anything about the process, though, ._.;;

Could you discuss it with your parents for me? O: If they have any type of advice to offer? I know the process might take a few years, two at best, but I am more than willing to work my ass off to make it work.

~Rock and Roll~

Proud Translator of MHA Gliblord's Avatar

Sure thing. As soon as I can.

See you in another life! Mugiwara_no_Ice's Avatar

Oh so you and Jerk Disease, it's for real? Officially? Sorry but I'm out of the loop of what's happening on the boards lately, but I've been hearing and seeing things...

Well I might as well congratulate you two, and wish you a happy happy happy life.

As for your question: My brother went to live in Canada, he departed recently (5months ago) to Toronto and he's liking it a lot. It wasn't a big change in comparison with Europe. Although the only negative point he noticed is that people in general are more money-oriented than in Europe.
    Seeking infinity, with all my affinities.
    Finding truth, like a falling fruit, my ultimate finality.
    Inside my being, the outside, all things; the finite leads the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Gliblord View Post
    Sure thing. As soon as I can.
    Thank you a lot sweetie! I am sure some things changed since then, but any type of advice will still help a lot!

Hahaha! Yes, it's for real Mugiwara. =) And I am extremely happy with how good of a match we are not only online, but in real life too!

~Rock and Roll~

Depraved Prince of AP Monkey King's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cooldud_21 View Post
    First generation here. Emigrated to the US a couple of years back, to study. The plan is to finish the degree, and see if I want to stay.
    The problem with me is that my country is one of the two the Americans are sick of handing out Visas -> Green Cards -> Citizenships to. We are the target of the "They took our jebs!" hate and we have cornered the convenience store employee and the Manhattan taxi driver job pool too. So citizenship for me is a long drawn process and may easily take up to ten years starting from when I got off the boat.
    Haha, you might not be too helpful in terms of countries here. Overflowing India, and little wee baby Cyprus.

Also I get the feeling that South Asians are the next big immigrant group up here in the Northeast (where are you at exactly?). You folks are really jumping in numbers in Jersey, New York and CT too. I think the moment of truth was when my old "church" was turned into a Hindu center lol.

I live in Atlanta, the bubble in the deep South. The surprising thing is the sizable Indian minority here, with very little software presence to speak of.
    Jersey, New York and the Silicon Valley region are being overrun by the brown folk. I didn't know the plague had hit Connecticut too.
    The populated areas of Connecticut are the same thing as New York City and North Jersey really (aside from Hartford). So what they go through we go through.
    And yeah I grew up among various stages of immigrant South Asians. There was a funny second gen girl at my church who had a huge crush on me when we were like 13. I knew a cool dude in high school who was a Jain, and I worked with a pair of older Bengali sisters at my cashier job who were insanely good at pushing credit cards on people lol. I've never seen a more comedically banal moderate Islam than them half dealing with Ramadan fasting on lunch breaks. I should have filmed it and sent it to every dumb American that thinks Islam is a terrifying extremist iron clad religion that never bends ever.

South Asian Muslims are some of the most moderate. Especially Bengalis. Although a lot of that is changing. And fast.
    Of all things there was also an Arab Pakistani girl at that job too. A sorority girl to boot lol.
    What are the odds!

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Answer: in the urban Northeast there are no odds, you never know who you'll run into, me and Chrissie ran into an Israeli girl in the Boston Quincy market who was selling stuff, she greeted us with "Yassou" when she figured Chrissie was Greek. Hell Chrissie herself is going to add to this, a Greek Cypriot ain't exactly commonplace.

Ha! I met this half-Japanese half-Jewish girl at a party, who's taking pole dancing lessons.
    I love being in the west. You never run into this stuff back home.
    First thing that blew Chrissie's mind (aside from how crazy the roads are in Queens) was that in Stamford at a mall no one so much as batted an eye at her being obviously foreign.
    I love living in this crazy melting pot/salad or whatever you wanna call it. It's the dream world of the ethnic historian/anthropologist inside of me. Both because everyone's here, and that no one really gives a shit either.
    Oh you're from Mambooselvania? Whatever, wanna buy a necklace?

I'm pretty sure that if Chrissie were to go to India, she would shut up half the touts that stick to white skin like flies just by answering the "Madam, where from?" with "Cyprus".
    They would go "क्या बोल गयी अंग्रेज़? ये कौनसी झुमरितल्लैया जगह है?" scratching their heads.
    I dunno, do they think of white as looking like British people? Chrissie might be too Eurasian for them.

Chrissie, I'm a first-gen immigrant to Canada. I was only 8, so I was really just along for the ride, but my parents are always talking about how hard they had to work when they got here. My dad had to get a minimum-wage job and work night-shifts and my mom had to go back to school for 3 years. They really had to struggle, and we lived in near poverty for a couple of years. Keep in mind that my parents spoke fluent English (it was their first language) and that they both had professional degrees, my dad being an engineer and my mom being an oral surgeon.
    Most immigrants think life for them will be all peachy after they land. That they'll be able to get a job in their profession right away. This only happens very rarely.

Even today my parents are still working harder than many of their Canadian-born peers. Because they're still paying off mortgages and school-fees.

First generation here. Emigrated to the US a couple of years back, to study. The plan is to finish the degree, and see if I want to stay.
    The problem with me is that my country is one of the two the Americans are sick of handing out Visas -> Green Cards -> Citizenships to. We are the target of the "They took our jebs!" hate and we have cornered the convenience store employee and the Manhattan taxi driver job pool too. So citizenship for me is a long drawn process and may easily take up to ten years starting from when I got off the boat.
    Have you thought about applying through a different country? I'm not sure if this works when trying to get into the US, but my (Indian) family and some of my relatives did this for Canada. We applied through Singapore, others did it through Amsterdam, Italy and Abu Dhabi. If you can afford to get a plane ticket in order to do your interview there that is.

Quote Originally Posted by fedcom View Post
    Chrissie, I'm a first-gen immigrant to Canada. I was only 8, so I was really just along for the ride, but my parents are always talking about how hard they had to work when they got here. My dad had to get a minimum-wage job and work night-shifts and my mom had to go back to school for 3 years. They really had to struggle, and we lived in near poverty for a couple of years. Keep in mind that my parents spoke fluent English (it was their first language) and that they both had professional degrees, my dad being an engineer and my mom being an oral surgeon. Most immigrants think life for them will be all peachy after they land. That they'll be able to get a job in their profession right away. This only happens very rarely.
    Even today my parents are still working harder than many of their Canadian-born peers. Because they're still paying off mortgages and school-fees.
    The thing of it is she has an established family network here (mine) as well as me who in around five years should be positioned in a comfortable job of some sort that would definitely put us above poverty. Also no kids.
    The scenario here isn't some random girl randomly going to America. There's a relationship and ensuing familial ties to a bunch of established natives. Might I also add her profession is teaching related, and the other 3/4 of my nuclear family are teachers, two of them established. So she even has connections and insider knowledge. My dad is currently helping my sister get started on teaching interning for instance, it's not a huge leap to helping Chrissie.

Suffice to say none of these are really concerns. The pain of having to take more classes to pass local teaching standards is as bad as it will get.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Also I uhh....have no student loans. At all. And am near guaranteed a free ride for Grad School in regards to my Geography program so....that's some weight off the old shoulders.

I am also searching for a good paying job in Cyprus right now to save up for any expenses. The earliest I am planning to relocate to the USA permanetely, is 2014 and that's a looooong shot even. The only loan I might get is at worse 2k euro for a cheap, used tiny car to move around Cyprus.

And yeah, nooooo kids! God! Not before marriage and stable work @_@

~Rock and Roll~

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information