a little "experiment "
    check the 2 videos and tell me if u get the difference of these 2 dialects
    what is so natural to me maybe is not natural for people out of italy
    barese:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zet3Zx8EPPc

veneto:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm9xfKlleno

Default Re: the big dialects thread

I'm from the Caribbean, so I sometimes have an accent, though it's not really heavy since I was raised by television. As for America... Almost everyone sound the same too me. Except that country accent or Texan... The kids I knew from New York had this annoying drawn out whine though... Can't really describe it... Then there's the ghetto and wannabe-ghetto(Florida) dialect... I guess there's some differences.

BEST! BREAST!! CON-TEST!!! dirt monkey AL's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by huron View Post
    a little "experiment "
    check the 2 videos and tell me if u get the difference of these 2 dialects
    what is so natural to me maybe is not natural for people out of italy
    barese:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zet3Zx8EPPc

veneto:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm9xfKlleno
    First one sounds more ... crisp? Not sure how to explain it. Second one sounded more mumbly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    And when this manga closes out, and Luffy's arm stretches back to deliver that last punch, I wanna feel the crunch of the dream coming true.

I'm from Ohio, though I don't really hear me or anyone around me talk strangely. I do have some quirks in my talking, though. I do tend to talk fast sometimes, even to the point that others can't understand me. My family also says that I tend to drop t's when I talk, obviously not when they're the first letter in the word, though I don't hear it all that often. For example, I might pronounce "can" and "can't" similarly, or say "don" instead of "don't". I also frequently say "inenit" instead of "isn't it" . There are some other things but I can't think of them right now.
    In the wrong light everything is chance
    Does it register? Do you wanna dance?
    In the right light it's a miracle
    Possibilities
    Do you wanna dance?

Quote Originally Posted by Hiroy View Post
    I'm from the Caribbean, so I sometimes have an accent, though it's not really heavy since I was raised by television. As for America... Almost everyone sound the same too me. Except that country accent or Texan... The kids I knew from New York had this annoying drawn out whine though... Can't really describe it... Then there's the ghetto and wannabe-ghetto(Florida) dialect... I guess there's some differences.
    Hey mon, whey you from? I from Barbados. LOL

I've lost most of my caribbean accent having spent the last 12 years living in the US, but people can still tell I have an accent.
    Last edited by freedom; May 3rd, 2010 at 02:21 PM. Reason: terrible caribbean accent intended
    WARNING (Explicit Dialog)!!

I'd like learn how to speak with different accents, mostly a New York/Jersey accent, southern accent, British accent, and maybe some foreign ones too.
    Possibilities
    Do you wanna dance?

Quote Originally Posted by freedom View Post
    Hey mon, whey you from? I from Barbados. LOL

I've lost most of my caribbean accent having spent the last 12 years living in the US, but people can still tell I have an accent.
    I'm from Trinidad and Tobago(Port of Spain). Got some family in Barbados too.

And yeah, I get that too. Even though I don't notice myself.

A real rain will come... Rank: Failed Mutineer JERK DISEASE's Avatar

I had a really good long post about New England accents but suffice to say I am no longer going to be using Google Chrome for anything other then for times when I want something to crash on me every 20 minutes.
    1. Ace (), 2. WB (), 3. BB (X), 4. Perona () 5. Boa () 6. Jimbei (???), 7. Sabo lives (), 8. Timeskip ()

Us Texans are portrayed to have a really ridiculous accent. No one here talks like that in movies. In fact, generally when I travel out of state people are shocked when they hear I'm from TX, and I get a lot of "Why don't you talk like they do on TV) >.<
    It sorta sucks.

Also, "y'all" doesn't make you texan. I'm actually from good ol' Laurel, Maryland, and I was saying yall before I ever moved to texas. It really is a lot easier than constantly saying you all.

That's weird, I went to Dallas last summer and I was surprised at how stereotypical everyone sounded.
    Happy Bastille Day!

Really??
    I have never met anyone here walking around goin "Howdy Yall. G'Evnin ma'am"

Do you listen to the Podcast? Funkatron leaves in the same city I do. Does he sound stereotypical texan to you? And we live in Plano, which is 10 minutes north of dallas.

I wonder how the "Texan" accent is so distinguishable from other southern drawls. When I start talking to foreigners, and especailly with people from opposite ends of the country (California and NE), they always go "DAAAAW YOU SOUND SO TEXAN~"

Also knew some people who went to NYC recently, said a couple of words and everyone immediately knew they were from Texas XD

Quote Originally Posted by fedcom View Post
    That's weird, I went to Dallas last summer and I was surprised at how stereotypical everyone sounded.
    That's unsurprising in the least bit XD

Most people native to Texas have some sort of twang/drawl in their voice.

But go out west or east (I'm from east texas) and its like whoa. You thought Dallas was bad XDDD And the east and west texan drawl sound different too XD

In the suburbs there a lot of people from different parts of the country, so I don't really hear too many accents, but for some reason when you're in the city, it's a lot more locals with the twang in their voice.. makes no sense, but whatever XD

I had it EXTREMELY BAD when I was small, but moving to the suburbs of Dallas helped tone it out a bit. Also I took drama classes and the teacher (from New York) wouldn't let me advance if I didn't stop talking with an accent... which I never did, because at that age I had no real concept of how different my voice was.

I still have it, it comes out depending on how I say certain words. If I'm talking in a higher voice, or angry, it's more prominent. People start laughing everytime I'm angry or crying, because it apparently sounds super bad XD

I say yall but I'm not sure what other words I pronounce differently. Except for washed. Instead of "washed" I will sometimes say "worshed". My mom would always yell at me for that.

I'm sure I say other things weird too but I'm so used to it I really don't notice XD

Whats REALLY funny is people from other parts of the US coming to Texas. I have a friend from Pittsburgh who has been asked multiple times if she's from Europe.... >_>

. tumblr
    . mfc .
    . ask for FB or AIM/Skype .
    . psn squeesax . 3DS FC: 3797-6626-6957 .

Just curious, does this sound stereotypical to you?

If so then I guess we do talk stereotypically.

My high school band just went on a trip to Disneyworld recently though, and when we got to Orlando we went to a mall for a bit. I was talking to some guy at a bose store and eventually he asked were I was from (he noticed I had a band shirt on) I said Texas and he proceeded to ask me why I don't sound like TV.

Granted, as you go west it sounds apparent, but pretty much if you go too far west or south of houston you start to hear more spansih dialect than anything....

--------

As someone who isn't native texan, I also thought everyone talked with that accent, but then I moved down here, and I didn't hear the accents depicted in the movies.
    That accent may have been around in older times, but for the most part nowadays it's not present.

Speaking of accents...

When I went to Spain with my school we had a group from Canada come with us. I was expecting the full blown Canadian accent thing with "eh?" and everything, but none of them had it. The only weird speech thing that they had was that they pronounced the letter combination "ag" as "eg". So every time they said bag it sounded like beg, and this happened in every word that had that specific letter combination. And while they didn't say "eh?" they did sometimes say "hey" after they finished a sentence. It was really strange.
    Possibilities
    Do you wanna dance?

Quote Originally Posted by Akumu View Post
    Just curious, does this sound stereotypical to you?
    Depends. The reporter's voice and the young mans were not at all. In fact, if I didn't know better I would think the reporter was from Canada.

But the politicians accent was very, very stereotypical. It's not a bad thing, mind.

Not all the people I met in Dallas fit the stereotype, but there were enough to fuel my comment. Lots of people going around around saying 'sarry' and 'arange'. Not to the extent of old movies though...

Quote Originally Posted by Kairouseki View Post
    Speaking of accents...

When I went to Spain with my school we had a group from Canada come with us. I was expecting the full blown Canadian accent thing with "eh?" and everything, but none of them had it. The only weird speech thing that they had was that they pronounced the letter combination "ag" as "eg". So every time they said bag it sounded like beg, and this happened in every word that had that specific letter combination. And while they didn't say "eh?" they did sometimes say "hey" after they finished a sentence. It was really strange.
    Huh, I've always thought the "eh" thing was one of the only accurate stereotypes of Canada. I notice it in usage alot where I live in any case. Although I suppose its not a strictly Canadian thing.

One thing that's completely wrong (and I'm sure you've heard this before) is the 'aboot' thing. The only place I've heard that was in Iowa.
    Last edited by fedcom; May 3rd, 2010 at 07:07 PM.
    Happy Bastille Day!

I wish I had a "Southern Accent" - or Texan. It'd be slightly awesome !

Quote Originally Posted by fedcom View Post
    One thing that's completely wrong (and I'm sure you've heard this before) is the 'aboot' thing.
    Isn't that Scotland ?
    Quote Originally Posted by sanji499 View Post
    I wonder what was Bale's reaction when the stunt double broke the imax camera?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    In the United States we don't have much manga around, specifically One Piece, and mainly the newer chapters - Jan 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Flux View Post
    I wish I had a "Southern Accent" - or Texan. It'd be slightly awesome !
    And I wish I had a British accent.....

Care to trade?

Everyone in sweden speaks fairly normal, except down south were those half-dane fuckers reside.

Seriously they sound like they're eating porridge while burping and swallowing all vowels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc3-A...eature=related

Seriously just listen in at 55 secs in.

Did I hear her say Alabasta in the beginning? And why was "No Offense" randomly thrown in as english.
    I've always loved listening to different laguages...especially because I can't understand them. They all just sound so cool....
    I wonder what english sounds like to those who don't speak it.....prolly something like that^^ sounded to me....
    Last edited by Akumu; May 3rd, 2010 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Akumu View Post
    And I wish I had a British accent.....

Care to trade?
    I'd love to But it'd be a bit of a con really, I've not got a British accent per se, as in how you'd imagine it. Mines is a more sort of diluted mixed accent.
    But my friend moved to America and apparently everyone thinks the accent is great over there, so who knows :P

In terms of British accents, I love Emma Watson's !
    Quote Originally Posted by sanji499 View Post
    I wonder what was Bale's reaction when the stunt double broke the imax camera?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    In the United States we don't have much manga around, specifically One Piece, and mainly the newer chapters - Jan 2011

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information