+ Reply to Thread
Page 129 of 129 FirstFirst ... 29 79 119 127 128 129
Results 2,561 to 2,566 of 2566

Thread: Cartoon Network

Default Re: Cartoon Network

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    Something that always intrigued me about the Teen Titans cartoon is how it immediately throws you into their regular status-quo in the first episode. There's no pilot episode or movie introducing their backstories or first big adventure (I think that is actually one of the LAST episodes in the series). Not even intuitive explanations for who and why they are like Steven Universe's first few episodes. The team already exists in their T-shaped tower. And yet I don't remember being confused as a kid, I just got into it lol.
    When the first episode already featured a fallout between Robin and Cyborg, I was admittedly very confused and apathetic towards this conflict featuring characters I didn't get to know yet.

i myself found it very difficult to get invested in beast boy and cyborg arguing about pepperoni

Set Art by Daily Rowlet

Most cartoon cartoons relegated all their world building to their theme song/intro, and most super hero stories also start with "this is the hero, go", see Batman TAS, Superman, most marvel stuff of the 90's, PPG... Starting with the begining wasn't taken for granted back then. Blame the anti serialized storytelling of Looney Toons or Hannah Barbera, continuity was a bad word.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    Most cartoon cartoons relegated all their world building to their theme song/intro, and most super hero stories also start with "this is the hero, go", see Batman TAS, Superman, most marvel stuff of the 90's, PPG... Starting with the begining wasn't taken for granted back then. Blame the anti serialized storytelling of Looney Toons or Hannah Barbera, continuity was a bad word.
    Batman is Batman, everyone knows THAT origin story, so no, you don't have to spell that one out.

But Superman had a 3 part pilot. X-Men had a definite first episode where Jubilee meets the crew and gets all the things explained. Gargoyles was super continuity driven. 80's shows like He-Man, Bravestarr, Transformers, GI Joe, Thundercats, Wheeled Warriors, they all had origin pilot stories.

PPG did in fact say everything they needed to say in their opening credits, and some intros cover that. But that was not the norm.

But the Titans you have a diverse group of characters that aside from Robin, no one knew, who were living together for reasons never explained and all clearly had a ton of history together. Jumping completely blind into their setup was weird. Especially when Titans actually has a fantastic origin kickoff adventure.

Steven Universe throwing you right in is a little weird too, but they start pretty much at the beginning of Steven's adventure, and the townsfolk are introduced slowly one by one.

Don't forget Miraculous on this matter.

Spoiler:

The new Harvey Birdman Attorney General Special is out on Adult Swim.

Spoiler:
    I have to say it's nice to see all of the characters again. I'm happy that Colbert came back to voice Phil for the special. I got a laugh during the scene with Birdgirl accidently reveal herself as Phil's daughter during the press conference. Also Potamus was great as usual, since he was my favorite character during the original run of the series.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information