+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 47 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Manga/Anime Recomendation Thread

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Cool Official Manga/Anime Recomendation Thread

For people who want to read more entertaining and interesting (high quality) manga

This is a list of all of the manga I've read up to date or to its completion/cancellation:
    Hidden:
    Yu Yu Hakusho (great)
    Rurouni Kenshin (good)
    Hellsing (excellent)
    S-Cry Ed (there's a manga slightly different from the anime it's okay)
    MAR (okay)
    Parasyte (great)
    Basilisk (great)
    Monster(excellent)
    20th/21st Century Boys (excellent)
    Devilman (very good)
    Monster Soul (okay typical shounen like all of Mashima's work)
    Trigun/Maximum (very good)
    666 Satan/O-Parts Hunter (okay bullshit ending)
    Gyo (very good)
    Uzumaki (very good)
    Shaman King (good)
    Onikirimaru (good)
    Wanted (I read this thinking it was Oda's work, still happened to be a pirate manga. It was okay)
    Death Note (great-excellent)
    Saiyuki/Reload/Gaiden (very good)
    Inyuyasha (wtf happened to this manga it was good)
    Zatch Bell (meh)
    Darren Shan (good)
    Hotel (very good)
    Bakuman (great)
    Code Breaker (I'll probably stop reading this)
    Shamo (great)
    King Of Thorn (good)
    Jackals (very good)
    Billy Bat (very good so far)
    Akaboshi-Ibun Suikoden (very good)
    Emerald (very good)
    Ao no Exorcist (good)
    Beelzebub (very good)
    Cage Of Eden (good Nope not anymore. Now I'd say average at best. One of the most abrupt unsatisfying I've ever read in comics period)
    Rave Master (I read enough)
    Black Lagoon (great)
    Blade Of The Immortal (great)
    Nurarihyon No Mago (good)
    Until Death Do Us Part (great)
    Elfen Lied (good)
    Id (very good)
    Asu No Yoichi
    Samurai Deeper Kyo (good)
    Blue Dragon: Ral Grado (very good)
    Drifters (good)
    Princess Resurrection (good)
    Dance In The Vampire Bund (meh)
    Wolf Guy: Wolfen Crest (great)
    Garouden (great)
    Holyland (great)
    The Breaker (great)
    Freezing (meh)
    Baki Gaiden: Scarface/Grappler Baki/Baki: The Search Of Our Strongest Hero/Hanma Baki (great)
    Y+M/The Yagyu Ninja Scrolls (very good)
    Onikiri Jyuzo (good)
    Soul Eater (good)
    Mirai Nikki (great)
    Jack Frost (good so far)
    The Ravages Of Time (excellent)
    Berserk (excellent)
    Veritas (great)
    Angel Densetsu (funny for a while)
    Pluto (didn't care for it compared to Urasawa's other work but it was good)
    Hajime No Ippo (very good or maybe I just got sucked in to the story as predictable as it's become)
    Liar Game/Roots Of A (excellent)
    Gamble Fish (good)
    Double Arts (good)
    Record Of Fallen Vampire (very good)
    Übel Blatt (great)
    The Lucifer & Biscuit Hammer (good)
    Shikabane Hime (meh)
    Monster Hunter Orage (okay)
    D.Gray-Man (very good)
    One Outs (great)
    Ragnarok (very good)
    History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi (I just read all of this and I don't know why. It's probably the reason I made this thread)
    Ichi The Killer (great)
    Katekyo Hitman Reborn! (good)
    Shingetsutan Tsukihime/Lunar Legend Chronicles (okay)
    Change 123 (same as FT)
    Sun-Ken Rock (very good so far)
    Tough (great)
    Koukou Tekken-Den Tough (good)
    Highschool Of The Dead (very good)
    Crows (great-excellent)
    Fairy Tail (It's good I guess. Sometimes I don't know why I keep reading. fanservice maybe?)
    AIKI (very good)
    XBlade (okay)
    Vinland Saga (great)
    Sidooh (very good)
    Deadman Wonderland (very good)
    Aflame Inferno (meh
    Historie (good)
    Ga-Rei (okay)
    Worst (great)
    Witch Hunter (very good)
    Zetman (great)
    Gantz (excellent)
    Dogs: Bullets & Carnage (good)
    Battle Royale (good)
    Vagabond (excellent)
    Eternal Sabbath (very good)
    Houshin Engi (good)
    Black Cat (okay)
    C.A.T. (very good)
    Immortal Regis/Cavalier Of The Abyss (really good at first but this 2nd part still lacks direction)
    Claymore (very good)
    Pyscho Buster (good)
    Pysren (good)
    Gamaran (very good)
    Suicide Island (okay so far)
    Doubt (good)
    Full Metal Alchemist (great)
    Shin Angyo Onshi (excellent)
    Hunter X Hunter (great)
    Akumetsu (great)
    Ares (great)
    One Piece (obviously; very good-great)

I've read the good parts of Naruto and Bleach as well. I've read some other manga I didn't like at all but I can't recall the names, hope they aren't suggested.

So go ahead and make recommendations for me and others. I'd like some manga similar to the manga I rated as great or excellent but I threw up the list just so ppl could get a feel for what I've read.

If this is in the wrong place move it. If I actually failed in finding this thread on this forum can you just move my post to that thread.
    Last edited by Zik; January 20th, 2013 at 02:31 AM.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Default Re: Official Manga Recomendation Thread

Homunculus.

I think there's already a thread for this, though.

Nausicaa
    Lone Wolf and Cub
    Phoenix

Black Jack
    Swallow the Earth
    Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

These manga can be found on OM, mangafox, mangahut, mangashare right? If not I'd like a link.

If there's already a thread well hopefully this just gets merged.
    Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
    Always see the great reviews it gets but I haven't gotten past the first part(45 chaps in). Can't blame the art anymore since I've already stuff like Baki but I still haven't gotten around to reading the other parts.
    Last edited by Zik; June 26th, 2010 at 07:00 PM.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Slam Dunk and Real, both up on OM.

Both are excellent.
    "As long as I'm alive, I want to die having risen just one step higher."

wani here wani there

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnay View Post
    Slam Dunk and Real, both up on OM.

Both are excellent.
    I seconded these. Real is one of my favourite manga. It's realistic in both artstyle and plot.
    Hiking Bear 2011

Gintama if you can find it. Great manga.

A serious ton of what Zik mentioned as being 'great' or 'very good' is vastly inferior to others on his list. I don't have a TON to add here, but I really would like to take this opportunity to reinforce some personal favorites, even if they were already mentioned:

Durr, OP. We all know this is excellent. No discussion needed.
    Beelzebub- I'm not quiet in my fanboyism of this series. It's been fucking outstanding for 66 chapters as of this post and I have absurdly high expectations of its author going forward. Expectations that have been 100% met thus far. If for some reason you haven't read it, please do so.
    Akumetsu- Pretty damned good. Read it, because you'll regret having not read it if you don't. And you won't even know that you're missing out, which is sad.
    Wolf Guy The Wolfen Crest- Same author/artist as Akumetsu but somehow super shallow and pointless. Avoid at all costs, because it's a waste of time.
    History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi- If you're OK with all of your favorite characters becoming a week-to-week fanservice brawl, read this. Otherwise, read the first 300 or so chapters, then give it up.
    Bakuman- As far as I read, quite a bit, this rapidly drops its manga-oriented shonen roots and becomes a shoujo drama. Cool for a look into the world of mangakas, not cool for any other reason whatsoever. Droppable.
    Homonculus- It's good, read it.
    Gantz- Sounded cool but it lost its flair about the time it was beginning as an anime. Fairly repetitive. Dropped it.
    Berserk- Awesome, if you haven't seen the anime obviously watch it. Like, right now. Before Evangelion or Naruto or some other nonsense super-popular crap. This is the super-popular crap to watch. The manga was cool, too, until Gatsu got a magic suit of armour which simultaneously let him surpass his humanity and undermined the manga's theme (in my mind) of humanity, nature & rectitude vs godliness, ambition, and evil. Once it became man + magic vs the gods as opposed to man vs the gods, I lost interest pretty fuckin fast. Personal preference, maybe. I bet the art is still great.
    Hellsing- Another one that started great but ended up slow. I bet there are some godly vampire fights going on right now, or werewolves or zombies or who gives a shit, this crap all started to meld together. Maybe it was a translation issue (hah) but the dialog started to get really friggin BAD. BAD.
    Flame of Recca- I may be overhyping this. It was my first front-to-back manga and as such I have an intense fondness for it. Even so, I don't think I've seen some of these character tropes done better... EVER. Domon, Mikagami, and Kurei are some of the greatest heroes/villains ever created. Please read this if you haven't.
    Yu Yu Hakusho- It embodies and defines a genre. But it's seldom awesome.
    Basilisk- Kind of a ninja scroll vibe, cool how different 'absolute' powers interact, but boring overall.
    THE FUCKING BREAKER- Art is awesome, story is trite at its heart but well executed. Read it. Shit's good.
    Veritas- Another great manwha, it's sweet as hell. Reminiscent of Tenjou Tenge or similar, it's much better. No nonsense. All awesome.
    Lucifer and The Biscuit Hammer- Odd and entertaining. Not amazing, but a sweet time killer. Reminiscent of FLCL.
    REBORN!- Well my sig's from that shit so... I should mention it.
    Starts off slow, lot of character introduction. Trust me, it does not go to waste. Even after the entire series turns to battle manga, these characters are still extremely sweet. The people who I disliked the most at the outset were the ones who I loved above everyone else by chapter... whatever it's at now. Definitely worth a read, even though it's pretty light in nature.

I'm sleepy. I'll update this later with more of my opinions, on the offhand chance anyone's interested.
    Last edited by fdsfgfs; June 27th, 2010 at 07:38 PM. Reason: I fudged a title and had some typos. Too much sake :(

Guess I'll do a list as well. I still haven't read all the classics....
    • One Piece Guess I don't have to say much to this one, its almost constantly awesome even if its longer than 500 chapter now.
    • Mahou sensei Negima started kind of lame, but after the first 50 chapters it became better and better. There are so many awesome characters that make this manga great. So far the only manga I would say I like as much as One Piece
    • Soul Eater Most should know this, I kinda lost track of the story since the chapter come out only monthly, however i enjoyed every part of it till now. Funny, sick and epic.
    • Akumetsu Great story and art, very chatching. Has propably my favorite main character ever, only lack it has the little to no cast of side-characters
    • Gantz until the last ~10 chapters it has always been great and chatching. You never knew what would happen next. Too bad it sucks a bit right now... why? one word: Kei-chaaaaaaaaan
    • Full Metal Alchemist just read it a week ago, so my opinion might change after a while (I tned to love everything I read at the moment, after a few months I somehow only remember the bad parts, after that time I get a so to say real opinion) however, I really enjoyed this one a lot. The characters are very good, the story was great. It made you even feel bad for the very disgustingly mean villains.
    • Bakuman very good, even with no action at all the story is always chatching and makes you want to read further. Main characters are okay, "sidecharacters" like eiji and the Otter-guy are genuis.
    • Psyren quite Good, the story is fine, although very confusing. cast is great.
    • The Lucifer & Biscuit Hammer Weird story and characters, I liked it a lot. Too bad it seems to end soon.
    • The Breaker Very good art, even though I don't like too realstic mangas. Story and characters are very well, as well as the fighting styles etc. Sad how the scanlation group for this one seems to be a bunch of assholes, so the release dates are irregular.
    Last edited by LosKnoggos; June 27th, 2010 at 05:54 AM. Reason: lol, just realised I posted also bad mangas I don't want to recommend.
    "Going against the flow? Just means you're swimming in place. One day you are too tired to paddle, and suddenly you drown. Whole thing was pointless and now you're dead THE END. Now, going with the flow is where it's at - and that's the dandy way to live."
    - Space Dandy

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

Devilman is very good.
    Hidden:

Pokemon Special- The manga that got me interrested in Pokemon in the first place. You will wish the anime was epic as this, don't let the pokemon name fool you this series can be epic. It changes its main characters in each arc but all of then have something that make you like them.

Sket Dance-A not well known series Sket Dance is a ongoing Jump series about a club that tries to help their school problems, it starts a bit slow but then you will start to love each character and their "one of a kind" quirks, its one of the mangas i can laugh and cry one of the better jump series out right now. Not as better as Toriko, Bakuman and Beelzbub but its good too.

Recommended Read :
    - One Piece : In case anyone haven't read it.
    - Mahou sensei Negima : ecchi done right. have awesome character and really- really good fight.
    - Majin Tantei Nōgami Neuro : seriously under-appreciated manga , first half is detective conan on crack, and the letter half is epic action manga series, have a good humor and great storyline.
    - Liar Game : mind fuck done right. the story doesn't make any sense in my opinion but the Liar game itself is great.

Shipmate

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralYonkouMt.Bandit Zik View Post
    This is a list of all of the manga I've read up to date or to its completion/cancellation:
    Hidden:
    Yu Yu Hakusho (great)
    Rurouni Kenshin (good)
    Hellsing (excellent)
    S-Cry Ed (there's a manga slightly different from the anime it's okay)
    MAR (okay)
    Parasyte (great)
    Basilisk (great)
    Monster(excellent)
    20th/21st Century Boys (excellent)
    Devilman (very good)
    Monster Soul (okay typical shounen like all of Mashima's work)
    Trigun/Maximum (very good)
    666 Satan/O-Parts Hunter (okay bullshit ending)
    Gyo (very good)
    Uzumaki (very good)
    Shaman King (good)
    Onikirimaru (good)
    Wanted (I read this thinking it was Oda's work, still happened to be a pirate manga. It was okay)
    Death Note (great-excellent)
    Saiyuki/Reload/Gaiden (very good)
    Inyuyasha (wtf happened to this manga it was good)
    Zatch Bell (meh)
    Darren Shan (good)
    Hotel (very good)
    Bakuman (great)
    Code Breaker (I'll probably stop reading this)
    Shamo (great)
    King Of Thorn (good)
    Jackals (very good)
    Billy Bat (very good so far)
    Akaboshi-Ibun Suikoden (very good)
    Emerald (very good)
    Ao no Exorcist (good)
    Beelzebub (very good)
    Cage Of Eden (good)
    Rave Master (I read enough)
    Black Lagoon (great)
    Blade Of The Immortal (great)
    Nurarihyon No Mago (good)
    Until Death Do Us Part (great)
    Elfen Lied (good)
    Id (very good)
    Asu No Yoichi
    Samurai Deeper Kyo (good)
    Blue Dragon: Ral Grado (very good)
    Drifters (good)
    Princess Resurrection (good)
    Dance In The Vampire Bund (meh)
    Wolf Guy: Wolfen Crest (great)
    Garouden (great)
    Holyland (great)
    The Breaker (great)
    Freezing (meh)
    Baki Gaiden: Scarface/Grappler Baki/Baki: The Search Of Our Strongest Hero/Hanma Baki (great)
    Y+M/The Yagyu Ninja Scrolls (very good)
    Onikiri Jyuzo (good)
    Soul Eater (good)
    Mirai Nikki (great)
    Jack Frost (good so far)
    The Ravages Of Time (excellent)
    Berserk (excellent)
    Veritas (great)
    Angel Densetsu (funny for a while)
    Pluto (didn't care for it compared to Urasawa's other work but it was good)
    Hajime No Ippo (very good or maybe I just got sucked in to the story as predictable as it's become)
    Liar Game/Roots Of A (excellent)
    Gamble Fish (good)
    Double Arts (good)
    Record Of Fallen Vampire (very good)
    Übel Blatt (great)
    The Lucifer & Biscuit Hammer (good)
    Shikabane Hime (meh)
    Monster Hunter Orage (okay)
    D.Gray-Man (very good)
    One Outs (great)
    Ragnarok (very good)
    History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi (I just read all of this and I don't know why. It's probably the reason I made this thread)
    Ichi The Killer (great)
    Katekyo Hitman Reborn! (good)
    Shingetsutan Tsukihime/Lunar Legend Chronicles (okay)
    Change 123 (same as FT)
    Sun-Ken Rock (very good so far)
    Tough (great)
    Koukou Tekken-Den Tough (good)
    Highschool Of The Dead (very good)
    Crows (great-excellent)
    Fairy Tail (It's good I guess. Sometimes I don't know why I keep reading. fanservice maybe?)
    AIKI (very good)
    XBlade (okay)
    Vinland Saga (great)
    Sidooh (very good)
    Deadman Wonderland (very good)
    Aflame Inferno (meh
    Historie (good)
    Ga-Rei (okay)
    Worst (great)
    Witch Hunter (very good)
    Zetman (great)
    Gantz (excellent)
    Dogs: Bullets & Carnage (good)
    Battle Royale (good)
    Vagabond (excellent)
    Eternal Sabbath (very good)
    Houshin Engi (good)
    Black Cat (okay)
    C.A.T. (very good)
    Immortal Regis/Cavalier Of The Abyss (really good at first but this 2nd part still lacks direction)
    Claymore (very good)
    Pyscho Buster (good)
    Pysren (good)
    Gamaran (very good)
    Suicide Island (okay so far)
    Doubt (good)
    Full Metal Alchemist (great)
    Shin Angyo Onshi (excellent)
    Hunter X Hunter (great)
    Akumetsu (great)
    Ares (great)
    One Piece (obviously; very good-great)

I've read the good parts of Naruto and Bleach as well. I've read some other manga I didn't like at all but I can't recall the names, hope they aren't suggested.
    Ahha, you list almost everything relatively good that can be found on online manga readers (which are lame), and ask for more?

Just take seriously posts #2, #3, #4, #6 and #8.
    Nausicaa - simply best manga, read it and make everyone around you read it, no one except for Miyazaki has created such a complex and fullfilling world and story,
    Lone Wolf - samurai manga at its best, both from historic and dramatic points of view,
    Real - a psycholgy drama of sport, more than that, life, -
    are just better than everything. It's what defines art or literature, something more than entertainment.

Also, I heard Gunnm aka Battle Angel Alita is good, but haven't got to reading it. Blame, Noise and Biomega by Nihei are decent reads as well, what concerns cyberpunk settings with astonishing futuristic art.
    And Alive by Tsutomu, its very short, only a volume, but it's a loss not ro read it.

And take a look at Air Gear and Tenjo Tenge. The plot isn't something exceptional, it varies from very bad to not so bad, but the art is superb.

Oh and may be it's too late now, but I think it would have better to have two threads - one for ongoing manga, the other for finished classics.

Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by fdsfgfs View Post
    Bakuman- As far as I read, quite a bit, this rapidly drops its manga-oriented shonen roots and becomes a shoujo drama. Cool for a look into the world of mangakas, not cool for any other reason whatsoever. Droppable.
    Ahhahaha. What, two or three chapters of male-female relations in a slice of life comic turned you off from an interesting, funny, giving a good insight into the industry, and solid to the core manga?
    Last edited by Silverblade; June 27th, 2010 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Fancy stuff dealings~

imho uplifting and really underrated mangas

Ocha Nigozu
    Karakuri Odette
    Ciel: The Last Autumn Story

more widespread:
    Skip Beat
    Tramps like Us/ Kimi wa Petto
    Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro
    Gunnm/Battle Angel Alita
    .. ok the tournament at the moment is err but till then it was an excellent sci-fi story (ok and the vampire story volume..wtf!) ... oh and spans one of my favorite villians Dr. Desty Nova! (In his earlier incarnations he is extremely high on my list of people I would never want to meet.)
    Pluto, Yotsuba&!, Full Metal Alchemist,The Lucifer & Biscuit Hammer, (Kekkaishi, Psyren)
    Homonculus

in the more gory department
    Blame ... depressing & awesome XD ,great vastness
    Biomega ... a lot like/successor of Blame with more words
    Hellsing ...big boobed vampire chick smacks nazi werewolf with V2 rocket...how can one net get hooked on that. Seriously, I love the drawing style, who cares if the Nazis are pointless.
    Blade of the Immortal, Shamo, Until Death do us part, Vagabond, Vinland Saga, Claymore, Princess Resurrection, C. A. T.
    Franken Fran
    ...yaay for squick

terrifying
    Monster
    MPD Psycho
    , no I won't finish this one... (I stopped at the tulips+brains part)

Oh and the usual suspects:
    Death Note, Beelzebub, Berserk
    Last edited by dpara; June 27th, 2010 at 07:04 AM.

Here's a few probably not mentioned already:

- Bambino: tells a story about an aspiring young chef. Interesting look into how an italian restaurant runs and fun characters.

- Butterfly: kind of a mystery about a man who can see ghosts and is paired up with a young boy to destroy them.

Anything by Urasawa or Asano gets my vote.

Naruto - a manga about a rebelling teenager that joins the villains, and slowly destroys them from the inside. The immensely organized plot, and creative power-ups make the victories of the protagonist even better. The only downside I can see is that he turns a little emo, but it has ninjas!

Cool Re: Official Manga Recomendation Thread

I really just made this thread for ppl who want to read more good manga. I just put the list out there for those to suggest more of the kind that I rated great and excellent.

Also, I care more for the story than the art; as long as the art's decent and not so bad it takes away from the story.

If ppl think some of the ratings are off or wrong oh well. IDRGAF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverblade View Post
    Ahha, you list almost everything relatively good that can be found on online manga readers (which are lame), and ask for more?
    Outside of buying a lot of these yes, I'd want to read all the amazing ones available online for free.
    Just take seriously posts #2, #3, #4, #6 and #8.
    Yeah I noticed. I've already started reading those suggested.
    Oh and may be it's too late now, but I think it would have better to have two threads - one for ongoing manga, the other for finished classics.
    didn't think of that but I guess ppl could separate their posts that way. Make a completed list and ongoing. It'd be nice to warn them if it's ongoing cuz it sucks waiting for Berserk, Shamo, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by fdsfgfs View Post
    A serious ton of what Zik mentioned as being 'great' or 'very good' is vastly inferior to others on his list.
    And those would be? I just want to laugh if they're gonna be ridiculous comparisons.
    Beelzebub- I'm not quiet in my fanboyism of this series. It's been fucking outstanding for 66 chapters as of this post and I have absurdly high expectations of its author going forward. Expectations that have been 100% met this far. If for some reason you haven't read it, please do so.
    I had just finsihed reading Worst and Crows when I started this so I had to shift back in to the realm of non fiction. I really like this manga but I don't think it's all that great or excellent yet.
    Gantz- Sounded cool but it lost its flair about the time it was beginning as an anime. Fairly repetitive. Dropped it.
    To each his own. The character development in Gantz is amazing.

So far none of the manga that I stopped reading cuz they were boring or I just didn't like them haven't been suggested so I won't give my opinion.
    Last edited by Zik; June 27th, 2010 at 12:00 PM.
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralYonkouMt.Bandit Zik View Post
    And those would be? I just want to laugh if they're gonna be ridiculous comparisons.
    That phrasing was too strong on my part. I was really, really drunk. Sorry. But I do think that, say, YYH was good for what it was but not necessarily deserving of your highest marks. Similarly, Wolf Guy had almost no appeal to me, and I found that I didn't enjoy the characters in Basilisk. Well, I should have just said that I disagreed with the rankings or something.

I had just finsihed reading Worst and Crows when I started this so I had to shift back in to the realm of non fiction. I really like this manga but I don't think it's all that great or excellent yet.
    I actually never read either of those, but I'm about to tonight. Looks promising, though one of the things I like most about Beelzebub is how it takes a really overdone theme (high school brawler delinquents) and turns it around to make it fresh. Not that I expect Worst/Crows to be totally trite or derivative.
    To each his own. The character development in Gantz is amazing.
    Mmmaybe I stopped reading this before the cast could get too solidified. It's been a while but my recollection is that the people who warped into that one room tended to change pretty regularly. There was a leek monster, people questioned whether what they were doing was evil, I sort of figured it wouldn't be able to hold my interest.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information