+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 726 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 502 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Shueisha" Thread

Tales of Kingdom Hearts iMustang's Avatar

Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

Lock On! is already over? Wow, I'm surprised; that was a pretty short run for a shonen

2010 strikes again.

I hope they don't cut Medaka Box, even if its not that great i like reading it.

Beelzebub should be ranked higher, silly kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Urouge View Post
    Beelzebub should be ranked higher, silly kids.
    Beelzebubs rankings are often really good, it was several times in the top 5.
    I remember that chapter 55 was able to beat One Piece and got first.

O.O

Why is Nurarihyon ranked high. Its plot quality has decreased significantly 30 chapters ago. Did its art save it like Bleach?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
    Beelzebubs rankings are often really good, it was several times in the top 5.
    I remember that chapter 55 was able to beat One Piece and got first.
    I must admit that I am mildly confused about this list. Chapter 66 of Beelzebub was actually one of the worst chapters the author has released in a long time, but the chapters listed were supposed to be in the issue that just went on sale, right? I'm surprised the rankings are already available.

Ranks are a confusing thing. Some say it reflects "a couple weeks ago" in the postcards, others have this "8 week" thing going on because of the time it takes for a new series. Personally I just go with how it is for the week and goes from there.

And as I said in another TOC thread: '10's biggest problem is simple: there's still a ton of '08 and '09 series in the magazine (four pretty much seem to have found their way [Mago, Toriko, Bakuman, Beezle] and four that keep hanging in there regardless [Psyren...yeah I put Psyren here because it keeps it's violent movements between the upper and lower tiers of the mag, Inumaru, Kuroko, Medaka]) combined with "the established guard that just won't/can't end". (though Gintama has been showing weakness due to the anime ending). If any '10 series wants to at least get past the early stages, it needs something to knock the socks off readers to knock something out of the magazine.
    Y'know, Negima WAS awesome...
    For the first 18 volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Urouge View Post
    I must admit that I am mildly confused about this list. Chapter 66 of Beelzebub was actually one of the worst chapters the author has released in a long time, but the chapters listed were supposed to be in the issue that just went on sale, right? I'm surprised the rankings are already available.
    These are the rankings from 8 weeks ago.

edit: to late Tokoro explained it better.

Ahh, I see, what a pain. Thanks for the info. So if I understand it correctly, then Naruto didn't get a ranking because it had no chapter this week, even though the ranking would come from a week when it did have a chapter. Then they'd also have to come up with an answer 8 weeks from now to give Naruto some sort of ranking when there was no chapter this week to rate. The system seems like a headache. It also sounds like "8 weeks" might not be totally accurate, either. I suppose it may even vary from manga to manga to account for breaks.

Anyway, the Beelzebub ranking should be for somewhere around chapter 58, then. Therefore, it should be ranked higher. Silly kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokoro Ataru View Post
    Not necessarily all the time. Original stuff does still break through, it's just really hard.

Oh, and I've been waiting for Bleach to finally take a dive for years...still waiting but I think it will take the anime finally ending for that to occur. (sadly that's what's going on with Gintama: the plug was finally pulled being too close to the manga and it hasn't been the same since) Unfortunately...Pierrot just wants to hold on to it like an addict, whether it be by super-stretching or adding in filler arcs.
    Why do you want Bleach to fail? Just stop reading it and if others enjoy it, let them be. I stopped reading Bleach months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by juju14 View Post
    Why do you want Bleach to fail? Just stop reading it and if others enjoy it, let them be. I stopped reading Bleach months ago.
    I want Bleach's failure because Kubo doesn't deserve success for all this time for a sub-par series. And what I do means nothing considering that it's all up to the Japanese anyway...and I just don't get how they can be fooled all this time with Kubo's crap. (besides, I read Bleach for one reason: to laugh at how much worse it can get)

Quote Originally Posted by Tokoro Ataru View Post
    I want Bleach's failure because Kubo doesn't deserve success for all this time for a sub-par series. And what I do means nothing considering that it's all up to the Japanese anyway...and I just don't get how they can be fooled all this time with Kubo's crap. (besides, I read Bleach for one reason: to laugh at how much worse it can get)
    There is so much truth in this post, the most exciting thing for me is that there is a trend in the TOC towards Bleach failing.
    Bakuman, Toriko and Beelzebub are often ranked higher then the crapfest that Bleach is.

Quote Originally Posted by GaaraofTheDesert View Post
    Not good you can't see which manga is set by the editors.

Quote Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post

Shueisha apparently rotates the order of the manga weekly in a way that reflects the popularity of the manga, except for a few conditions as stated in the OP. Usually, the manga that gets the cover page is going to come first, followed by the regular ranking.

I feel as though i'm missing some vital piece of information here.

If all the manga are sold together in the same magazine (that is how it works, right?) how is the popularity of a specific series determined?

Review postcards.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JustinianFlynn

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dangerously View Post
    I feel as though i'm missing some vital piece if information here.

If all the manga are sold together in the same magazine (that is how it works, right?) how is the popularity of the specific series determined?
    Every issue of Jump has a postcard where you get to vote for your three favorite chapters of the issue. Usually there is an enticement to vote, like some sort of prize for those who send them in. The votes are tallied by them and that determines the ranks and likewise issue-by-issue popularity. There are many other facets to take into consideration like volume sales and external factors but that pretty much explains how it's done.

Ah, Thanks guys.

This is what Oda says too, via stephen's translation of SBS 47:

D: Oda-sensei!! My brother says that the order of the manga in Jump is decided by popularity. Is that true? (by Yasumo)

O: That's a fitting suspicion for a Jump reader. Since I get these fairly often, allow me to answer. To be precise, not quite. The order is decided every week by the Jump sub-chief editor. But it's true that the most popular series are placed in the front of the magazine. Also, sometimes he decides, we're pushing THIS one this week! I guess you could say it's the "order you could enjoy the magazine in." But of course, the only TRULY correct answer is to read it in the order YOU want.
    I also saw the new table of contents. Yotsuya's out. >_<
    Last edited by Cinder; June 28th, 2010 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    2010 strikes again.
    Greg, how is japan reacting to Japan's world cup campaign? Do they even care?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information