+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 707 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 503 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Shueisha" Thread

Default Re: Weekly Shonen Jump TOC

Quote Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
    Not good you can't see which manga is set by the editors.
    I still don't really get the "set by the editors" thing. Does that mean they're automatically given a certain place?

You know... The whole system in itself confuses me, so I'm just going to look and think "Oh, that's doing good, cool." and try not to analyze it too much, lol.
    kevinmidas.bandcamp.com
    I'm a musician! Have a listen!

Aggravator via Destiny darktravis's Avatar

^More or less. They're mangas that are, despite their position, not part of the ranking. Usually this is due to either 2 situations:
    -the manga is very much new (not past chapter 8) or;
    -the manga has colour pages

Everything else is an indication of their popularity

A couple more notes regarding the ranks to know:
    -Jaguar = always last, not because it's bad...but because the mangaka has a reputation and Jump just likes ending the magazine every week with it.
    -KochiKame = for the most part negligible. Yeah it's ranked but a series that has been around for 34 years now really isn't going to be affected by the ups and downs of young whippersnappers. (that reminds me: I need to get back to TLing that series...but Nube is a bit higher priority for me currently)
    Y'know, Negima WAS awesome...
    For the first 18 volumes.

The spine of the country just broke. They'll be fine in 24 hours.

edit: woah, did I really post this here? Last night must have been a rough one. I don't even remember using the computer after the game.
    Last edited by Greg; June 29th, 2010 at 03:42 PM.

New TOC

WSJ #31/10 - Full ToC:
    01. SWOT 1 (Cover & Color) [New Manga]
    02. One Piece 590
    03. Naruto 500
    04. Katekyou Hitman REBORN! 296
    05. Bleach 410
    06. Nurarihyon no Mago 113 (CP)
    07. Kuroko no Baske 75
    08. Bakuman. 92
    09. Sket Dance 144
    10. Gintama 315
    11. Hokenshitsu no Shinigami 41
    12. Inumaru dashi 92
    13. Beelzebub 66
    14. Kochikame
    15. Shounen Shikku 7
    16. Metallica Metalluca 8
    17. Psyren 125
    18. Medaka Box 57
    19. Kiben Gakuha, Yotsuya-senpai no Kaidan 18 (End)
    20. PTF! Jaguar 429

King of the Dead, huh Silverblade's Avatar

Kuroko being so high while Beelzebub and Psyren are down?

At least, we aren't getting any new wasted on Kuroko colourspreads.

I don't like Medaka being that low, but Sket Dance is alright i guess.

inumari dashi does alright in the ToC, it's a comedy one, but why isn't ANYONE scanlating it? is it because the main character is a pantsless kindergartener?

because that never stopped beelzebub...

or is it out there, and I just suck at finding manga online? :D

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    The spine of the country just broke. They'll be fine in 24 hours.

edit: woah, did I really post this here? Last night must have been a rough one. I don't even remember using the computer after the game.
    Did someone have a little too much of grandpa's ol' medicine?
    Member of Negima is Super Awesome
    MY YOUTUBE channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mcwhirlpoolinc?feature=mhee

Anyone know what Swot is about ? Hope it's not what I think it is .

And may I add we stil having no Metalluca # 7 even when the full trans is out is just silly .

King of the Dead, huh Silverblade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Bad_Lith View Post
    inumari dashi does alright in the ToC, it's a comedy one, but why isn't ANYONE scanlating it? is it because the main character is a pantsless kindergartener?

because that never stopped beelzebub...

or is it out there, and I just suck at finding manga online? :D
    Even if it being a gag manga, the main obstacle for operative scanlating is the language of Inumaru. Not only is it full of text, but it also contains many cultural references and allusions.

Or so I hear.

I started translating Inumaru Dashi, but nobody scanlated the first 4 chapter so I kinda stopped.

I'm working on two (and sort of a third) projects I'm behind with right now. If I catch up with both of those I'm gonna go back and work on Inumaru Dashi. I'm gonna have to scan in the volumes and everything though, too. The thing is, it's a gag manga, so it has a lotta words and not much plot besides being episodic. And tends to have a lot of references to pop culture and stuff, too. Also each chapter is 9 pages long.

As people mentioned, Jaguar is unranked, Kochikame kinda always lands in the middle, and things with color pages/covers/opening colors aren't ranked. They're placed there to spread out where the color pages are. Generally Jump gives new series the cover unless they really think they suck. Inumaru Dashi is one of them.

Though if a series appears on the cover frequently that means it's doing very well. Because the cover is what attracts people to buy the magazine. So One Piece, Bleach, and Naruto have that a lot. Toriko, Bakuman, Gintama and Reborn get a few "covers without anything big to celebrate" too. Then occasionally a series will get the cover for its anniversary for the lesser ones. Though stuff like Psyren and Kuroko pretty much never do and just get lots of color pages.

Hmm, I've started reading Kuroko and it doesn't seem bad so far, so I can see why it's that high. Although, I feel Psyren and Beelzebub could go higher than it. I'm happy that Sket Dance is up there, it's hilarious. But why is Gintama still going on? Maybe it gets better in later chapters, but I've read about 10 and it's sooo boring. Not funny at all.

I'd like to know what Shounen Skikku and this SWOT are about... I'll probably look it up and see.

Quote Originally Posted by No Maam View Post
    And may I add we stil having no Metalluca # 7 even when the full trans is out is just silly .
    I find it kind of funny that you say it like scanlations are a given or something. I can understand if you said this about, you know, the actual magazine instead of an illegal service that people don't have to do.
    kevinmidas.bandcamp.com

Do other magazines use the TOC system?
    Member of Negima is Super Awesome
    MY YOUTUBE channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mcwhirlpoolinc?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Keo2309 View Post
    I'd like to know what Shounen Skikku and this SWOT are about... I'll probably look it up and see.
    Seems that SWOT is only a one-shot.

Transfer student Manabizaki Kyou is a swot, a person who spends too much time studying. His dream is to attend Tokyo University and then work for NASA! He will soon discover, however, that the high school he's transferred into, which was once very prestigious, has taken in delinquents from the surrounding schools. Now it is full of violence and gang fights.

Luckily, Manabizaki has a surprising skill at fighting, particularly when he's defending the peace of his study area. Through this strength he'll find his new friends, a weak boy called Iwashida and a legendary delinquent girl, Hasuno Nene, who makes him feel things that, for the first time in his life, he can't explain...

Drawings seems too much similiar to Kubo's and Obata's. iManga Scanlations has just scanlated it.

Instead Shounen Shikku seems another fucking Captain Tsubasa. It won't last more than 18 chapters.

Quote Originally Posted by BUTTERS View Post

Transfer student Manabizaki Kyou is a swot, a person who spends too much time studying. His dream is to attend Tokyo University and then work for NASA! He will soon discover, however, that the high school he's transferred into, which was once very prestigious, has taken in delinquents from the surrounding schools. Now it is full of violence and gang fights.

Luckily, Manabizaki has a surprising skill at fighting, particularly when he's defending the peace of his study area. Through this strength he'll find his new friends, a weak boy called Iwashida and a legendary delinquent girl, Hasuno Nene, who makes him feel things that, for the first time in his life, he can't explain...

Drawings seems too much similiar to Kubo's and Obata's. iManga Scanlations has just scanlated it.

Instead Shounen Shikku seems another fucking Captain Tsubasa. It won't last more than 18 chapters.
    Ehh, it seems so... cliche, and obvious. But yeah, the drawings do look really close to Bakuman's. Oh, well. iManga did a good job getting it out so quick... Hmm, I might go join them as a typesetter.
    kevinmidas.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by BUTTERS View Post

Yeah, SWOT's one shot has been out for awhile, its this week that its series run starts.

I liked the one shot, it was well done.

Why doesn't Jaguar get canceled if it's always dead last?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutated_Monkey View Post
    Why doesn't Jaguar get canceled if it's always dead last?
    Preferential treatment. The mangaka wanted to be there, he is notable (he's the guy behind "Sexy Commando Gaiden: Sugoi yo! Masaru-kun") and...why the heck not?

Psyren Psyren-ing isn't news anymore to me since it just goes up and down violently week after week but still has survived 2.5 years. I still say it needs an anime to stabilize it but it just never seems to have the love in Japan as it does here.

Pretty good week for some of the more recent series otherwise.
    Y'know, Negima WAS awesome...
    For the first 18 volumes.

Psyren was pretty intresting at start but lately it has become so full of shonen cliches and whole time travel bullshit that even I wish that head editor would finish its suffering existence.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information