+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Marc Webb's Spiderman Reboot

Default Re: Spider-Man getting a reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    The scene in Spiderman 2 where a whole train load of people see his secret identity and "promise" not to tell anyone or cash in on that 20,000 dollar bribe Jamesson has out for him is the crowning moment of stupidity in any comic movie.
    So true. Even worst than"nuke the fridge". Those people on the train must have all hit their heads at the same time.

Yeah maybe we're cynical but im having a huuuge problem suspending my disbelief on that on a whole train of piss poor city dwellers not one of them would jump at the chance to be set financialy for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    This is exciting and scary news. It could really go either way. SM 1,2 & 3 weren't so terrible that I could actually say, "It couldn't be worse."
    The first one was a fairly decent movie, it got by alot on Dafoes charisma and the simplicity of the story. but the second one suffered much from how Maguire portrayed Parker and how much focus was put on him as a character.

I mean he is supposed to be a nerd, but Toby plays him as a wimp. Even if someone came up and spit him in the face he'd still have that same meek sheepish grin on his face. You've got superpowers man, it should do something for your backbone. Personaly i thought there was an underlying confidence that came with that despite how he has to hide and downplay himself. Something which Maguire just misses completly.

And he and Dunst have no chemistry on film, if im to watch a 2 hour long romance i'd atleast like it to feel somewhat belivable. A whole film of two "romanticaly" intertwined people who're just stuck in there with no regard to how they play of each other is just painful to watch.

It's not the worst film i've ever seen though, like i said at best it's mediocre, i'd give it a 3.5/10.

Wow. I didn't see this coming.

On the one hand, I think it was time for Raimi and co. to pass the torch but on the other I would've liked to see what Raimi would've done for 4. I admit, I'm gonna miss the quirky style of the first three movies, they fit the Lee/Ditko era so well. (Well...not so much the sobbing/emo Peter from 3. Even as a fan of the movies, I have to admit I cringed at that stuff.)

I really, really hope they just go the Spectacular Spider-Man route and skip the origin (or at least condense it down into a opening sequence ala Incredible Hulk) and deal with Spidey's first run in with various enemies and high-school life.

These guys will really need to step up their game in not only the writing department but the action side of things, which is what Raimi excelled at. I'm wondering how they'll top the Doc Ock train fight from 2? And who could beat Willem Dafoe as the Green Goblin and JK Simmons as JJJ?

GAAAAAAH.

I can't help but feel that this is gonna be bad but I'm willing to give it a shot. It can't be any worse than Spider-Man Unlimited.

EDIT:

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/...er-man-reboot/

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DO NOT LET MICHAEL BAY DIRECT THIS.

And oh yay, another character thats going to become "gritty".
    Last edited by Brad Redfield; January 11th, 2010 at 11:59 PM.

Yeah maybe we're cynical but im having a huuuge problem suspending my disbelief on that on a whole train of piss poor city dwellers not one of them would jump at the chance to be set financialy for years to come.

The first one was a fairly decent movie, it got by alot on Dafoes charisma and the simplicity of the story. but the second one suffered much from how Maguire portrayed Parker and how much focus was put on him as a character.

I mean he is supposed to be a nerd, but Toby plays him as a wimp. Even if someone came up and spit him in the face he'd still have that same meek sheepish grin on his face. You've got superpowers man, it should do something for your backbone. Personaly i thought there was an underlying confidence that came with that despite how he has to hide and downplay himself. Something which Maguire just misses completly.

And he and Dunst have no chemistry on film, if im to watch a 2 hour long romance i'd atleast like it to feel somewhat belivable. A whole film of two "romanticaly" intertwined people who're just stuck in there with no regard to how they play of each other is just painful to watch.

It's not the worst film i've ever seen though, like i said at best it's mediocre, i'd give it a 3.5/10.
    Holy crap do I agree with this post.

エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar

I've got to admit I didn't like the second or third movies at all, despite admiring the "fat guy" portrayal of Doctor Octopus, which is in my view about as unique an interpretation as Heath Ledger's mangy Joker.

Although, I don't think Raimi should have been ejected (or ejected himself) over what was obviously him losing control of his own project. The entire matter smells of unintentional sabotage, with a bad script and no real confidence in his direction or his cast.

The major problem with a reboot is exactly what captain usopp said - it's a bloody rehash of the same tired old superhero story everyone's heard a billion times. Only this time, it'll not be heard, but SEEN, in, gasp, 3-D.

Bless Stan Lee, but if he wasn't still alive, he'd be rolling in his grave over this.

He'd be rolling in a bed of money, but rolling in his grave nonetheless.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    Making Anime and Manga OBSOLETE since 2006
    PM me for details

Well, hopefully this could lead to having a wise-cracking Spider-Man. That was something that the Raimi films was sorely missing.

Thank you, God.

Ahem.

Anyways, I'm glad there's a reboot because Sam was spouting rumours of carnage and three other villains for Spider Man 4

Really? Last I heard, he wanted Vulture and Sony wanted to limit the movie to two villains.

With this news people are coming out of the wood works saying they hated the films. The hell...

The scene in Spiderman 2 where a whole train load of people see his secret identity and "promise" not to tell anyone or cash in on that 20,000 dollar bribe Jamesson has out for him is the crowning moment of stupidity in any comic movie.
    I have no problem with that scene. With the millions of people in NYC, who's going to straight up recognize Peter Parker, a nobody kid who delivers pizza and occasionally sells pictures. Even disregarding their gratitude, how would one of them sell him out? Say Spider-Man is a caucasian male with brown hair around 5'10? That'd get them nowhere. And I'm not sure how widely available digital cameras were at the time the movie was made, so even that doesn't really work.

Toby Maguire has a pretty damn distinctive look. Get on of those police artists and lay the description on them. Long neck, really and i do mean really small round head, pale skin, no lips to speak of, blue eyes, bushy eyebrows, brown hair, small bulbous nose, big ear for his head, looks to be a suburbanite around so or so many years, kinda shortish with a slight build.

Within a few tries a decent artist should be able to get down a pretty accurate phantom image of him from that.

True story, the first time I saw Spiderman 1, the film jumped and as an audience we lost a few minutes of film. Notably, Uncle Ben's death scene. As a result, his last words were not "With great power comes great responsibility" but instead "You're going to help me paint the house, right?" (bonus amusement from Greg quoting it)

I've never been able to take the movie seriously, as a result. Goblin suit and horrible Spidey costume design didn't help. (that scene on the rooftop where Spider is drugges and unmoving, and he and Goblin are both talking at length while in full face masks... that was bad.)

Mostly I give it props or the ICONOGRAPHY of the upside down kiss in the rain. Most memorable scene in the whole thing, and in that shot at least, Dunst was pretty hot. And it delivered the origin about as well as it has been done, even if it flopped on cannibalizing the famous bridge scene confrontation.

Part 2 was a good theatre experiance, but didn't hold up at all to rewatching. And part 3 is when all the faults came to a head and everyone was willing to point them out. (Though I found emo Peter hilarious. Not in the way it was intended, I'm sure, but hilarious all the same.)

As for the reboot, I'd say hew closer to Ultimate Spidey, except the first film already kind of did. They developed at the same time and took a lot of the same process to rejigger the origin, and from there it went downhill. And Ultimate Spidey even has had quite a few really bad arcs in it. So while it may be the best Spidey comic going...

Could we get the people responsible for the Spectacular Spiderman cartoon involved in this? They kind of knew what they were doing and delivered the best Spidey in 20 years in any medium.

Just a suggestion, Sony.

Quote Originally Posted by Syan Strife View Post
    Even disregarding their gratitude, how would one of them sell him out?
    Little thing called cell phone cameras. People have them. Even if the train goers didn't recognize random kid, Jonah sure would!
    Last edited by Robby; January 12th, 2010 at 04:09 AM.

3DS friend code: 4398-9931-0463 http://actiontimebuddies.com/

I want a X-Men/Spidey crossover like some episodes in this 90's cartoon series ...

But new team on movie 4/reboot: Can work out. I like all three movies but even I have to admit that the movies went worser from part to part.

PSN: H3kt1 ||| 3DS: 0903 2798 9958 ||| NNID: DerH3kt1

Quote Originally Posted by robbybedfart View Post
    Could we get the people responsible for the Spectacular Spiderman cartoon involved in this? They kind of knew what they were doing and delivered the best Spidey in 20 years in any medium.
    As much as I like the movies, I'm gonna have to agree that Spectacular is the best adaptation the Wall-Crawler has ever gotten. (Where the hell is my third season?!)

I wonder if Greg Weisman has ever directed live-action stuff before?

Thank God

I've been a Spidey fan for as long as i can remember and I've never liked any of these films. The 2nd one is easily the best one, but still.

I've never liked Toby McGuire as Spidey. He can do nerdy, but when it comes to snappy patter he sounds fucking awful. And he's got this weird problem with his face. He can't not smile, even when he's supposed to be sad.

and Kirsten Dunst is pretty terrible too

I never thought Raimi was fit to direct these movies. Hopefully now I'll be able to put a Spider-Man movie into a Top 5 Favorite Comic Book Movies list. Not keen on a reboot though. They need to pull an Incredible Hulk on this one.
    buttcheeks

That's what I think they need to do. Recap the majority of the origin into the opening credits via Hulk and start the movie off after that.

Who would be the villain/s, though? I think they would want to hold off on the Green Goblin for a sequel so it doesn't feel like the same movie all over again. (They could do the Death of Gwen Stacey for the sequel)

Maybe Dr. Octopus and Electro? They could have their origins mixed together, like both were involved in a freak accident with some new, experimental machine.

Lizard, while I think is a lackluster villain, would maybe make a good first outing. Both smart people who suddenly find themselves bestowed with power, one deciding to use it for good, and the other going crazy.

Oooh, the Lizard might be good. They could also bring in Kraven to hunt him down. (I wanna see that iconic gravestone scene from Kraven's Last Hunt some time, Hollywood!)

...but man, would that suck for Dylan Baker. He was apparently looking really forward to being the Lizard.

Yeah, wasn't the Lizard suppose to be the baddie in Spider-Man 4? So that could even further his chances of being the baddie in the reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by robbybedfart
    Little thing called cell phone cameras. People have them. Even if the train goers didn't recognize random kid, Jonah sure would!
    Remember that it was in 2004. Were cell phones cameras as widely available? I didn't see any till '05. Plus it doesn't specify when the movie takes place.

I suppose Tobey Maguire does have a pretty unique look, though. Even with him in the role, I still picture Peter Parker as he is in the comics, very much the everyman with basic features like I described. Good counter-points, though.

I just hope this reboot film doesn't have MJ whatsoever. Leave romantic plot, or failings therein, to Liz Allen, Betty Brant, or a good Gwen Stacy. I'd love a movie to really build up Gwen Stacy the way she deserves and a sequel to bring in Goblin and a heartbreaking death scene.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information