+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: General Music Thread

Default Re: The General Music Thread

Anybody have any suggestions for German music? Neue Deutsche Welle is a pretty broad genre. I like Peter Schilling and Nena, and Fanta 4 for the most part. Rammstein is a little too heavy for me, though, although I do like some of their songs.

Edit: It doesn't have to be NDW, though.

Edit: Hehe, ASP is pretty cool too. They have a bit of a Lovecraft/Poe vibe to them.
    Last edited by Sakonosolo; July 9th, 2010 at 10:07 AM.

Last edited by Wagomu; July 9th, 2010 at 10:31 AM.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887

Hmm, I need to listen to more German bands. Can't think of any other than Die Toten Hosen and Die Ärzte. :/

Try ASP. Especially if you like kind of gothic horror vibes.

Mm, I'll give it a try.

Now, since Kairou mentioned German bands, are there any bands/artists who sing in other languages that you guys like?

Germany has a ton of great music, especially with the thrash scene and krautrock.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijnn. View Post
    Mm, I'll give it a try.

Now, since Kairou mentioned German bands, are there any bands/artists who sing in other languages that you guys like?
    A lot of French bands, especially because I can understand it. Sung German sounds great, too (check out that Einstürzende Neubauten song I linked). Other languages? I have a few bands that sing in Swedish and Japanese, and I might have a Russian band or two, but that's about it. I usually don't pay attention to the lingual sounds as much, unless the voice is particularly beautiful.

German is really the only other language I listen to music in. I do like some Spanish songs but no specific bands I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    Germany has a ton of great music, especially with the thrash scene and krautrock.
    Mm, trash. Can you give some examples? I'd like to try it.

Recently I've been listening to a lot of scandinavian music, and I gotta say it's pretty awesome.
    Some bands I really like are
    Kent (Swedish)
    Nephew (Danish)
    Sigur Rós (Icelandic)

So many foreign bands I listen to end up singing in english or playing instrumental music. I have a ton of bands from all over Europe and I've got maybe four or five languages between them, excluding English.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijnn. View Post
    Mm, trash. Can you give some examples? I'd like to try it.
    The German thrash trio is where it's at. Kreator, Sodom and Destruction.

See you in another life! Mugiwara_no_Ice's Avatar

Oh yeah nice thread Wagomu.

I kind of started very late with really listening to my own music. I grew up with moroccan music 'nass alghiwan', 'Jill eljillali',etc..
    classical music, sufi music and religious chants.
    The only 'western music' we had was some bob marley.

So when I was like 13 or something a friend gave me my first cd, it was Hip hop, IAM l'ecole du micro d'argent - and I instantly became a huge hiphop-fan (still am), started writing my own stuff, making my own music - maybe I'll post some of them here one day - and didn't really venture out of that genre.

Now I kind of like everything really , but mostly calm music, some paco de lucia, some jazz (miles, yusef lateef,..), classical music, etc..

I really liked some songs posted inhere so I'll try to venture out some more and try that rock and punk you talk about :)
    Seeking infinity, with all my affinities.
    Finding truth, like a falling fruit, my ultimate finality.
    Inside my being, the outside, all things; the finite leads the way.

It takes a while for most of us to come into our own musically. I really started about 4 years ago when I got into Frank Zappa and metal. I started really branching out more thanks to crossover thrash, grindcore and the weirder black metal bands, about two years ago.

And Paco de Lucia is fantastic. I don't have any other flamenco, and I probably should, but at least I have a couple of his albums. Siroco is fantastic .

Only just noticed this thread was here

^I've never heard anything by Frank Zappa, but since you rate him so highly I might have to have a listen later. Any songs/albums you recommend for a first time listener?

I'm always glad to help anyone on the path to Zappa!

Frank Zappa has a wide range of material. I usually recommend finding the Strictly Commercial compilation for a first time listener, but if you're more dedicated and want to check out a few albums, then look at We're Only in it for the Money, Apostrophe and Hot Rats. Here are some samples to mull over:

Spoiler:
    [youtube]Ws5Xeu3BEQk[/youtube]
    [youtube]BaKPqSNYknI[/youtube]
    [youtube]ZTfKGaY9nTM[/youtube]
    [youtube]THGjCgi6sbA[/youtube]
    [youtube]uaYoXcHAiFw[/youtube]
    [youtube]SPPvSiFLyXA[/youtube]
    [youtube]AoOwQd-1Hrg[/youtube]
    [youtube]1RWjYn1P6Fw[/youtube]
    [youtube]LLCgnIEAg2I[/youtube]

Thanks
    I will listen to them in a bit :)

EDIT: He's pretty damn good. I listened to all the songs you listed apart from the 10 minute ones (I'm sleepy and wanna go to bed soon) but I;ll listen to them in the morning too. My favourite was Broken Hearts are for Assholes, especially the start and the ending (which I laughed hysterically at).
    Last edited by Cahum; July 12th, 2010 at 04:15 PM.

Glad to hear you liked it. It was Frank Zappa who really opened my mind to a lot of music. He always managed to be equal parts an amazing songwriter and hilarious lyricist. I actually taught a rock class in my high school about him for one day, haha. His autobiography makes for great reading, too.

Lately, I've really been digging on Toro y Moi and Cold Cave. Doom metal's been making a bit of a comeback, too, after spinning my vinyl copy of the Kongh/Ocean Chief split. I wish I had more doom on vinyl.

Hate to say it but I hated every one of those bands except EN. Die Ärtzte is pretty cool, though.

Shooting down Kraftwerk and Neu!? You're breaking my heart, here!

At least you could appreciate EN. I currently use their logo as my TF2 spray, haha. I'm not sure you would enjoy the bulk of their material, though, since the larger part of their work is industrial/experimental.

I don't really like techno or whatever Kraftwerk is. I see so many people loving Daft Punk but can't stand it myself. Another band I just started listening to it Kino, a Russian band.

Kraftwerk are the essential electronic band, whether the average Daft Punk fan knows it or not. Beyond guys like Pierre Schaeffer, who got the ball rolling, Kraftwerk really pioneered the genre. I can see why some people might not like them, blasphemers though they may be.

[youtube]n-XYuuhcXPQ[/youtube]

My top 10 favourite albums.

Spoiler:

1. Silent Hill 3 OST - Akira Yamaoka

I usually consider the soundtracks for SH3&2 to be equally good, but if I absolutely must make a decision about which is better then it's this one. To me, this album is the most versatile and eloquent out of all the other series soundtracks. Listening to it makes me feel like I'm on a introspective journey through the distressing soundscapes(or simply just tripping balls). Despite the album's creepy nature, I still find many songs to have a certain beauty in them. Not to mention that I Want Love(Studio Mix) is probably my favourite song of all time.
    Chosen tracks: Breeze ~ in Monochrome Night, Sickness Unto Foolish Death, A Stray Child, Innocent Moon, Letter From The Lost Days, Never Forgive Me Never Forget Me, Rain of Blass Petals(+ Three Voices Edit), Flower Crown of Poppy, I Want Love(Studio Mix), Uneternal Sleep

2. Silent Hill 2 OST - Akira Yamaoka

The only aspect where this album excels my first choice is the fact that it's a more intanct entity, meaning that every song serves the atmosphere perfectly. It's like the feelings of sadness, isolation and melancholy were transformed into music and then made into an album. It doesn't depress me so I'd want to slash my wrists open, but it does awaken a peculiar feeling of sorrow within the listener, even more so if you have played the game. Even if you're not interested in ambient, I'd definitely recommend this album to everyone here.
    Chosen tracks: Forest, Ordinary Vanity, Ashes and Ghost, Alone in the Town, The Day of Night, Magdalene, Fermata In Mistic Air, Silent Heaven, Laura Plays The Piano, True, Promise

3. MARROW OF A BONE - Dir en Grey

I usually rate this album to be on par with both Withering to death and UROBOROS, but it has a special place in my heart nevertheless. When I was going through a really tough time in my life, it offered a sort of vent for all my negative emotions. You could say that it helped me get through my "emo phase", so to speak. The funny thing is though that MARROW OF A BONE is fairly heavy and angry, but I actually find it soothing to listen to this type of music when I'm feeling down. So basically it's just a fantastic album! Awesome headbanging material, if nothing else. :D
    Chosen tracks: Conceived Sorrow, Lie Buried With A Vengeance, Agitated Screams of Maggots, Grief, Namamekashiki Ansoku Tomadoi ni Hohoemi, The Pledge, Clever Sleazoid

4. DIM - the GazettE

The best album by the band, IMO. Not a single song is below being extremely good; they're all either that or really fucking excellent or epic beyond words. Even the interludes are great, very creepy. The overall theme is pretty dark, but GazettE manages to avoid the abyss of depression, mix melancholy with more upbeat songs without becoming chaotic and keep their music entertaining. They find ways to innovate with every album, which is the reason why I love them. Perfection.
    Chosen tracks: all of them, but my personal favourites are 13STAIRS-1, LEECH, Headache Man and Nakigahara

5. Shion - MUCC

Another example of an album that I consider to be the best of the band in question. Everything from the opening track to the last song forms a very compelling flow that stimulates both your mind and body. MUCC definitely has some of the most diverse music I've ever heard. All I can really say is that Shion is just hella awesome.
    Chosen tracks: Fukuro no yurikago, FUZZ, Chiisana mado, Libra, Anjelier, Semishigure, Game

6. MUSIC - Girugamesh

A very consistent, energetic and loud ensemble of electronic rock. The songs from MUSIC are made to be experienced live and I've been fortunate enough to do that twice. Listening to this makes you want to mosh, dance, rave and jump around like a caffeine-overdozed terrier on a pogo stick all at the same time. Wicked fun!
    Chosen tracks: all of them, personal favourites being ULTIMATE 4, FREAKS, Asking why, puzzle and Ishtar

7. REDEEMER - D'espairsRay

D'espairsRay has not made its "perfect album" yet, but this comes really close. Their music is implementing poppier elements more and more, but I don't mind personally since the quality of their songs isn't dropping. REDEEMER mixes both heavy sounds from their previous albums and pop-rock influences from their more recent material. Granted, it doesn't always work, but most of the tracks are still hugely enjoyable and a couple of them combine the elements into a perfect pop rock-song.
    Chosen tracks: BRILLIANT, REDEEMER, Lost in re:birth, HORIZON, MASQUERADE, PARADOX 5

8. Once - Nightwish

The term "epic win" is one of the most overused things I hear these days, but to me Once might be the most epic album I've ever heard in the sense that I tend to imagine demigods fighting heroic wars while listening to it. :D But seriously, I find Once to be an extraordinary heavy opera masterpiece, or in other words, EPIC WIN. Seeing as it was the last album made with Tarja Turunen as vocalist, I will forever treasure it as a truly impressive feat of operatic heavy metal.
    Chosen tracks: Dark Chest of Wonders, Nemo, Planet Hell, Creek Mary's Blood, The Siren, Ghost Love Score, Higher Than Hope

9. Kovemmat Kädet - PMMP

PMMP is a Finnish pop rock-band consisted of two female singers named Paula and Mira and the name is an abbreviation of "Paulan ja Miran Molemmat Puolet", which translates to Both Sides of Paula and Mira. Anyway, putting the title aside, PMMP is the best Finnish-singing pop rock band in Finland. They have some of the most insightful, witty and poetic lyrics in all of Finland's music scene and the compositions by their producer/composer fit every song seamlessly. Kovemmat Kädet(= Harder Hands) brings out the very best of PMMP in eleven excellent tracks which set high standars to all future Finnish pop/pop rock music IMO. Truly one of the best Finnish-language records of all time.
    Chosen tracks: Kovemmat Kädet, Matkalaulu(=The Journey Song), Päiväkoti(=Kindergarten), Auta Mua(=Help Me), Onni(= Happiness), Olkaa Yksin Ja Juoskaa Karkuun(= Be Alone And Run Away), Maria Magdalena, Salla Tahtoo Siivet(= Salla Wants Wings)

10. Plastic Beach - Gorillaz

I was looking forward to this album like crazy and when I finally listened to it all the way through for the first time, I just sat on the floor and stared out of a window in a sort of trance. It was as if I was floating in this lovely bubble thinking to myself how good the record was. For the following couple of months I became obsessed with it and then got over my obsession, but I definitely haven't grown tired of it. Plastic Beach is modern, stylish and innovative in a way like no other.
    Chosen tracks: Stylo, White Flag, Rhinestone Eyes, Superfast Jellyfish, Empire Ants, Glitter Freeze, Some Kind of Nature

Congratulations to any poor soul who read through that. :D Honorary mentions to other excellent albums go to~ (band/artist name in bold)

Reise Reise - Rammstein
    Devils In Bedside - 9Goats Black Out
    Tenshi No Revolver - BUCK-TICK
    7th Rose - D
    Yggdalive - Deluhi
    Lights - Ellie Goulding
    Antics - Interpol
    CORE - Kaggra,
    Silk Tree - Kei
    Good News For People Who Love Bad News - Modest Mouse
    The Resistance - Muse
    Kyutai - MUCC