+ Reply to Thread
Page 274 of 279 FirstFirst ... 174 224 264 272 273 274 275 276 ... LastLast
Results 5,461 to 5,480 of 5569

Thread: DC Movies Thread - In satin tights, Fighting for your rights

Default Re: DC Movies Thread - In satin tights, Fighting for your rights

So, critic reviews are still embargoed until Friday, and even Rotten Tomatoes is being forced to hold its reviews until after midnight Thursday.

That is a bad, baaaaaaad sign of no confidence from the studio that's desperate to get as much out of the opening weekend as possible because they think it won't have legs. It is ALWAYS bad when they embargo reviews until the day of.

Take into account also the early reviews we're getting... and early reviews don't mean much because they're a pre-picked audience already receptive to the material. But even with that caveat they've been mixed at best. And that the movie has been cut down from nearly three hours to 110 minutes? (and that's after reshoots!)

This one is probably gonna be bad folks. Which sucks, I'd hoped after Wonder Woman and pulling in Joss Whedon we'd get something, but....

Compare it to when Avengers came out Marvel started having screenings and allowing reviews a month in advance.

Can I please just get a good Superman movie eventually that isn't the 78 film? I love Christopher Reeve and that movie is great but its also super dated.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Can I please just get a good Superman movie eventually that isn't the 78 film? I love Christopher Reeve and that movie is great but its also super dated.
    Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut is pretty good?

I am seeing Justice League this weekend, probably Saturday morning. My brother works at a theater so we can get in for free... because I do NOT want to contribute to this disaster. I want to see it purely to verify for myself that it's the train wreck I'm expecting.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Rin View Post
    Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut is pretty good?
    The Donner cut is okay but it suffers from being piecemealed, everything with Luthor, (since he didn't get reinvented as a buisnessman until about 10 years later) and having the reverse time ending again. And like the first film, is just really dated in terms of the world and the effects.

Can we just get *that* Superman in a modern film with modern effects? Wonder Woman basically hit that tone, and Captain America got the character right.
    Last edited by Robby; November 14th, 2017 at 06:36 PM.

I'll see it to give it the fair chance that every movie deserves. But I've been so busy I still need to see Thor, so I dunno when.

Quote Originally Posted by moviebob
    "If [2016 MOVIE] was a goblet of scalding hot piss, the main difference for [2017 SEQUEL] is that the piss is now room-temperature.
    "Still gross, unpleasant and you shouldn't swallow it; but at least it won't actively hurt you going down."
    Yikes. Mind you this is the guy doing a three hour dissection of why BvS was so off and wrong so take with a grain of salt, but yikes.

All signs point to this again not being a movie for me. Come ON DC, I want your properties to be good movies! I love your franchises!

I considered making the half-hour trip and shelling out the $15~ for an Island 16 showing, then figured that this isn't worth a comfortable movie experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    So, critic reviews are still embargoed until Friday, and even Rotten Tomatoes is being forced to hold its reviews until after midnight Thursday.

That is a bad, baaaaaaad sign of no confidence from the studio that's desperate to get as much out of the opening weekend as possible because they think it won't have legs. It is ALWAYS bad when they embargo reviews until the day of.
    Theres plenty of reviews already out, you just need to find them "manually" at the respective news outlets' webpages. And as far as I can see, the Rotten Tomatoes score goes live tonight.

Not much of a difference, but if people are curious theres already plenty of articles decrying the movie as an uneven, Frankenstein'd mess, and a lot of "- but the characters are fun!" going around.

That seems to be the general consensus: Terrible villain, filmsy as hell story, giant plotholes, thematic shallowness, subpar effects (including distracting de-beardification of Cavill)...but fun character banter!!!

Fuck. I really really really don't want that to be the bar for blockbuster success going forward. Even the MCU, much as I love them, are starting to push it in terms of relying on character affectation.
    Last edited by Daz; November 15th, 2017 at 06:30 AM.

“But the characters are fun!” is how a lot of subpar MCU movies have good Tomatometer scores (Thor, Iron Man 3), so I wouldn’t worry too much.

Iron Man 3 is one of the best MCU movies, and I will stand by that. It has contrivances galore, but is also thematically strong, and bucks the trend of what Iron Man can face (no Iron Man Suit vs Evil Iron Man suit!). Plus, it features actual character development for Tony; well, as long as you ignore the subsequent movies. For all the joys of continuity, the movies have a bad habit of ignoring the dramatic/character moments of their predecessors (See also: Ant Man is out of jail, and has reconnected with his daughter!-->next movie: Ant Man has a glorified cameo, is sent to jail, and his daughter isn't mentioned, ever!)

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    Iron Man 3 is one of the best MCU movies, and I will stand by that.
    I will die on this hill next to you, Daz.

Iron Man 3 was fine and it works as a movie. It was just, for better or worse (your mileage will vary) not what anyone expected or wanted from it. If you wanted Lethal Weapon or Kiss Kiss Bang Bang you were in luck. If you wanted guy in iron suit fights guy with magic alien rings, it was not at all what you were hoping for.

Iron Man 2 on the other hand was exactly what people wanted but was a completely thrown together rushed mess that was basically just a long setup for Avengers and no one really likes, they just accept it and gloss over it because it was part of the training wheels phase one and because Avengers followed immediately after.

If they did IronMan 3 again *now* they could probably do magical Mandarin, now that Doctor Strange and Thor 3 have opened up that creative space, but it'd also be a little weird now.
    Last edited by Robby; November 15th, 2017 at 06:54 AM.

Trevor is goddamn amazing and the best part of the entire Iron Man trilogy but Kingsley played the fake Mandarin so great that I wish there was an alternate version of the movie with him being the actual villain.

I think whether or not you like IM3 hinges on how much you are willing to accept the Trevor Slattery twist.

Personally I was all for it because the movie overall felt great, but I recognize that I am not too personally attached to Comic Book Mandarin, and I get how someone can be disappointed in not getting an accurate comic book representation of a character they really like and have been wanting to see on screen for a while.

I mean, we ARE in the DC movies thread, we all know how that feels.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel

The Mad Moiselle BellisarioFaith's Avatar

Shame to hear that it doesn't sound like Justice League will be good. I'm planning on seeing it either way, but it'd be easier to be excited for it if the reviewers were. Still, it happens pretty often that I like "mediocre/bad" movies more than a lot of other people do, so guess I'll have to see.

Question: do y'allz think it's necessary to see Suicide Squad before going to see Justice League? That's the only DCEU movie I haven't seen yet, but since I've heard almost entirely negative things about it (even those I've heard from who praised some aspects of it still didn't think it was a good movie overall), I'm naturally less than hyped about the idea of sitting down and making myself watch it. But if it's likely that I'll be missing important pieces of Justice League by not seeing it, then I will.

For the other films, I thought Man of Steel was fine but nothing amazing; I probably liked Batman v Superman more than most people, but I still called bullshit on most of the same things that are most commonly complained about and still regard it as pretty "meh" overall; and I really liked Wonder Woman, which I would rank higher than a few of my lowest-ranked MCU movies. Hopefully Diana is utilized well in Justice League, at least.

(And on the above talk, I also liked Iron Man 3 much more than Iron Man 2. In fact, the latter is one of my aforementioned lowest-ranked MCU movies.)

Quote Originally Posted by BellisarioFaith View Post
    Shame to hear that it doesn't sound like Justice League will be good. I'm planning on seeing it either way, but it'd be easier to be excited for it if the reviewers were. Still, it happens pretty often that I like "mediocre/bad" movies more than a lot of other people do, so guess I'll have to see.

Question: do y'allz think it's necessary to see Suicide Squad before going to see Justice League? That's the only DCEU movie I haven't seen yet, but since I've heard almost entirely negative things about it (even those I've heard from who praised some aspects of it still didn't think it was a good movie overall), I'm naturally less than hyped about the idea of sitting down and making myself watch it. But if it's likely that I'll be missing important pieces of Justice League by not seeing it, then I will.

For the other films, I thought Man of Steel was fine but nothing amazing; I probably liked Batman v Superman more than most people, but I still called bullshit on most of the same things that are most commonly complained about and still regard it as pretty "meh" overall; and I really liked Wonder Woman, which I would rank higher than a few of my lowest-ranked MCU movies. Hopefully Diana is utilized well in Justice League, at least.

(And on the above talk, I also liked Iron Man 3 much more than Iron Man 2. In fact, the latter is one of my aforementioned lowest-ranked MCU movies.)
    Suicide Squad... it's not worth the watch if you're expecting a decent movie. You won't be missing anything important by skipping it. It just had a couple very short and minor appearances by Batman and flash. Short as in one line scenes. Man it's just so... mediocre? Coming from someone who ignored the reviews and bought the movie lol

I watched a screening of JL on Monday, and while it’s certainly not perfect I really enjoyed it. The characters are easily the best part. Steppenwolf is a disposable villian, he’a basically there to make the team come together. It is much better than Suicide Squad and BvS in my opinion. I feel like JL had some pacing issues but overall it is a fun movie. I’d give around a 7.6 out of 10 if I had to rate it.

Nintendo ID: elduva182

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    Trevor is goddamn amazing and the best part of the entire Iron Man trilogy but Kingsley played the fake Mandarin so great that I wish there was an alternate version of the movie with him being the actual villain.
    Pretty much the problem. Twist was brilliant, but the "character" he played was a legitimate solid update of the Mandarin and really, really worked, much better than the actual villain. Even the pieces they dropped of it being a "show piece" because he was taking from all sots of different things still worked.

While it has problems sure, the critics on youtube all seemed to have enjoyed the movie. Seems like a good time, cause the characters together work very well. That‘s all I needed from this first JL movie atleast, considering the troubles it had. Now with Aquaman, WW2, the batman and so on, I hope they finally step their game up big time.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/15/...ck-ezra-miller

there are also a disconcerting number of Wonder Woman upskirt shots for the disrespectful horndogs in the audience
    Self-proclaimed feminists Whedon and Snyder in da house, yo

Still no clue where anyone ever got the idea Whedon was a feminist. Well, besides from Whedon talking about how much of a feminist he is.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information