+ Reply to Thread
Page 310 of 310 FirstFirst ... 210 260 300 308 309 310
Results 6,181 to 6,194 of 6194

Thread: DC Movies Thread - Shazam saves the day

Default Re: DC Movies Thread - Shazam saves the day

Wow, I expected the film to be alright, maybe even good, but not as great as it apparently is! Now I'm really excited :) Gonna see it this Saturday!

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Saw Shazam today. Personally thought it was alright, not great.

Spoiler:
    The film does really well at portraying non-abusive foster care, and none of Billy's foster siblings got forced in to the point of being annoying. Freddy did well in his role. It was a lot of legitimate emotion that actually managed to complement/contrast the superhero premise pretty well.

But I didn't care much for the villain. I'm all for having a super serious villain in a movie with a more lighthearted hero, and to a degree I did appreciate that he wasn't beaten with a dance-off. But his presence in the movie just felt extra, what with his ONLY motivation being to get Shazam's powers because of a childhood grudge. It created zero chemistry between him and Shazam, and them having essentially the same powers definitely didn't help. The one unique power Thad did have I felt wasn't used to its full potential, though in reality I'm not sure any of the powers were. It felt like rather than have extended, fast-paced action sequences we would get the characters using some part of their abilities before stopping to do something else, and overall the fights just felt extremely drawn out and forgettable...which was not great considering how long the climax was.

Overall, I liked this film about as much as Captain Marvel, although I felt like Capt. Marvel's climax was handled better.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Rin View Post
    Spoiler:
    Mr. Freaking Mind blew me away. Was not expecting that.
    Spoiler:
    Mr. Mind is shown at the beginning of the film when Sivana arrives at the Rock of Eternity and is taking stock of Thad from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Spoiler:
    his ONLY motivation being to get Shazam's powers because of a childhood grudge.
    Spoiler:
    Being a petty dick is central to Sivana's character though. Giving him motivations beyond feeling underappreciated and really hating Captain Marvel turns him into somebody else.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    Spoiler:
    Mr. Mind is shown at the beginning of the film when Sivana arrives at the Rock of Eternity and is taking stock of Thad from the start.
    Spoiler:
    I caught that, but I thought it was an easter egg. "Oh ha, they stuck a caterpillar in the Rock of Eternity. Ha, that's a reference to Mr. Mind." I had no idea it was setting him up for them to actually say "Ok, the villain we are hyping for the next movie is a literal talking caterpillar."

Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel

Spoiler:
    lol just lol if your not hyped to see The Rock interact with an evil talking caterpillar

Gonna side with the majority and say that Shazam was friggin' great.

Spoiler:
    Totally didn't expect the Marvel Family to show up, so that was a wonderful surprise.

Yeah, this movie is better than expected. It balanced it's expectations, kept it simple, and threw in a bunch of nice surprises along the way. I only hope it does well, and maybe revives this franchise, cause after watching this movie I'm ready for more.

Spoiler:
    -The Marvel Family was a nice surprise. I expected them to set it up here, and maybe use it later, but not within the same movie!

-The special effects were good enough considering the scale of this movie. I also loved seeing such a larger than life superhero in a gritty city setting.

-Mr. Mind was a nice surprise. I forgot he existed (I have limited knowledge of Shazam), then when I saw the talking caterpillar with a voicebox it dawned on me what the movie was foreshadowing, cause I saw him in related DC cartoons.

-Oh hey, Superman out of nowhere! I wonder if he'll be played by the same actor, assuming they finish this scene in another movie?

Yup, just saw the movie and had a great time. I think I enjoyed it more than Aquaman and Captain Marvel because it felt a little less by-the-numbers and had its own individual tone. There is probably also no debate that Zachary Levi was a great fit for the title role. I also really liked the actor who portrayed Freddy, he installed him with a lot of personality.

Spoiler:
    I'm not the biggest expert on comic book characters and really didn't know anything at all about Shazam except that it was about a boy gaining the ability to turn into a Superman-like hero, so I had no idea that his siblings would transform into superheroes, too. And though I didn't know the slightest bit about him, evil caterpillar alien at the end made me grin from ear to ear and made me immediately want to see him as the main villain in a sequel.

I just read up on Dr. Sivana - this interpretation of the character seems like a pretty big departure from the comics, where he is mostly an evil scientist, not a super-powered being in any fashion. What do those of you who knew the character from the comics before seeing the move think of this adaptation?

Spoiler:

Mr. Mind is just fantastic in every way and one of those characters who makes everybody else around him better as well. The only way to use him properly is to totally embrace the utter insanity of the Fawcett era comics and not be too serious with him.

I do prefer the classic design to the more recent, puppy-sized version though. It reminds me, of all things, P-chan.

Far as Sivana goes, the film version of him is based more on fairly recent comics. I miss the utter lunacy of his plots in this but I still think this is a pretty good adaptation.

That said, I do hope the next film has him doing things like walking through walls by solving math equations.

Complicating things since 2009.

Discovered Stowaway

I don't think I would have enjoyed it more if I had been Billy's age when seeing it even though you'd think that would be the perfect age for it. But I loved the humor, really felt for the villain, liked the characters who actually got a decent amount of screen time (rarely is there a cast of young people who does that good a job of acting), and thought the action was really great. Telling the superhero story through the lens of a kid is a really great change of pace. Also as a former foster youth myself I really identified with Billy's struggle. I'll never know who my father is so there's that but I think Billy handles it poorly, and while I'm glad he gets at least some kind of resolution, I feel that was also a little poorly written (like you kind of understood it the minute you saw the beginning scene of him and his mom).

Santa Claus was really a standout character, I have to say. Really hope he gets at least a nod in the next one.

Question about the mid-credits scene:
    Spoiler:
    I know the caterpillar thing was seen inside the Shazam chambers at first but when it was in the prison cell of Sivana at the end, I wasn't sure what to make of it-I think it looked oddly mechanical so that raises even further questions about how it got into those chambers if it wasn't a magical creature. At first I thought Black Adam was just going to pop into his cell and spring him out of there but my friends who saw it with me said it was probably the Injustice Society trying to recruit him, though again, that doesn't make sense unless they already have someone versed in magic (in which case why do they need that depowered guy anyway?), and we don't know who Luthor has on his team apart from Deathstroke.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleFranky69 View Post
    Question about the mid-credits scene:
    Spoiler:
    I know the caterpillar thing was seen inside the Shazam chambers at first but when it was in the prison cell of Sivana at the end, I wasn't sure what to make of it-I think it looked oddly mechanical so that raises even further questions about how it got into those chambers if it wasn't a magical creature. At first I thought Black Adam was just going to pop into his cell and spring him out of there but my friends who saw it with me said it was probably the Injustice Society trying to recruit him, though again, that doesn't make sense unless they already have someone versed in magic (in which case why do they need that depowered guy anyway?), and we don't know who Luthor has on his team apart from Deathstroke.
    Spoiler:
    Mr. Mind (that's the caterpillar's name) is not mechanical. It's an alien worm. The only mechanical thing about it is the voice box around its neck. And, as far as I can tell, there's nothing to suggest that Mr. Mind was recruiting Sivana for the Injustice Society. He's probably just manipulating him for his own ends.

Discovered Stowaway

Spoiler:
    There's too many of those kind of things in the DC universe. Starro, Brainiac, all that mind-control jazz. I would have preferred Black Adam be there, even if only in the shadows so they didn't have to settle on an actor yet despite Dwayne Johnson supposedly having been the ideal and eager choice.

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Finally saw Shazam. I'm with Kaido not he movie only being alright. Although it shines best when it's about kids dicking around superpowers and Billy
    Spoiler:
    trying to find his mom.
    It's serviceable otherwise. Although I did like the
    Spoiler:
    Captain Marvel Family surprise too. I didn't expect that to happen so soon. Although it didn't amount to much payoff besides more action scenes and mediocre gags.

But that first after-credits has me the most excited for a superhero movie sequel than I have ever been in years. And speaking of the credits, I think this film might have the best superhero credit animation I've ever seen. It deserves more acknowledgment and praise for how fun and lively it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Riddler View Post
    Spoiler:
    I just read up on Dr. Sivana - this interpretation of the character seems like a pretty big departure from the comics, where he is mostly an evil scientist, not a super-powered being in any fashion. What do those of you who knew the character from the comics before seeing the move think of this adaptation?
    Spoiler:
    I'm actually disappointed that Dr. Sivana isn't a mad scientist. I get that Warner Bros seems to think that superhero movies need to have climax fights against super powered villains as evident by how shoehorned Ares' twist appearance is in Wonder Woman. But Black Adam is already Shazam's physical match. He doesn't need another guy to fight who can punch hard, fly, and shoot lightning. A villain who tries to outsmart Shazam instead of overpowering him helps diversify future conflicts if we're getting sequel movies and even a Black Adam spinoff. If Sivana just controlled the demons as minions instead of being their host body to become a DBZ villain this all smooths out better.

Then there is how Sivana's motivation for taking Billy's powers and going as far as killing people on the way feels bland and forced. He already pretty much got everything he wanted from the seven demons alone. I get that having the powers on your own instead of relying on demons is better, but where do you go from "my parents abused me and I'm going to kill them to exact vengeance" to "hey demon buddies, kill my abusive dad's innocent co-workers and all these other people who get in my way."

Even his antagonism towards Shazam alone feels so empty. If he saw all the dumb BS Shazam did to show off like almost killing everyone on the bus, realized he was a brat that is more unworthy of the powers than Sivana was when he got tested, and THEN started fighting him, he'd be a lot more understandable. Still petty like in the comics, but not a bland cardboard cutout either.

Setting up your villain with a sympathetic backstory but then having them only be unnecessarily douchy in present time with no redeeming traits or a meaningful point makes that sympathetic backstory pointless. If you cut out the origin story and boardroom slaughter scenes and replace them with exposition from the wizard that Sivana failed the test and wants his birthright, he is still the exact same character with less underwhelming inconsistency.

I don't think any superhero film has tried to do a mad scientist since Doc Ock in Spider-Man 2. The most we get are small roles/cameos like Arnim Zola in the Cap films and businessmen that dabble with tech or alien stuff but aren't super smart like the Iron man movie villains and Eisenberg's Lex Luthor. If they have the balls to tease Mr. Mind then I don't think the mad scientist trope sounding too wacky for live-action is a valid excuse.

BUT, since the after-credits scene teases Sivana and Mr. Mind teaming up, Sivana can hopefully become more mad scientist-y. And hopefully a better character in general, at least while hilariously interacting with Mr. Mind.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information