View Poll Results: Round 2: Team Edward or Team Jacob?

Voters
900. You may not vote on this poll
  • Perona-- OUT

98 10.89%
  • Hancock-- OUT

121 13.44%
  • Jinbe

155 17.22%
  • None of the above

526 58.44%
Closed Thread
Page 1004 of 1042 FirstFirst ... 4 504 904 954 994 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1014 ... LastLast
Results 20,061 to 20,080 of 20833

Thread: Last Two Nakamates (vol. 5)

Default Re: Last Two Nakamates (vol. 5)

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    Before i write my post i should probably make clear that these are solely my personal opinions and feelings about the characters, so be friendly with your critism.

First off, Kinemon. He is probably the funniest non-SH character we´ve seen in a long time, especially after the rather dark and sad Impel Down, Marineford and FI arcs. I have to admit that his inappropriate pride and also "pervertness" are really refreshing. He also looks good with the SH, especially his "battle face" stands out. These positive aspects of Kinemon don´t make him an acceptable NN though. Although his quirks are a bit different, in the end he´s still too similar to other SHs, it´s like he´s a mix of Zoro, Sanji and Brook. Besides, unlike most of you guys i find him being another swordsman not unique enough for the SH. Most of the OP characters can use swords as far as i´m concerned but the members of the SHs should be unique. For example, even though Brook also uses a sword like Zoro, Brook´s primary fighting style is his DF, he either hypnotises his opponents or uses his soul to freeze his sword. Next point, the elephant in the room so to speak, is his son. Kinemon doesn´t strike me as a person who would leave his son behind, no matter what the reason. The comparison to Yasopp just doesn´t make sense because him and Kinemon have totally different backgrounds. Yasopp is a free spirit who although feeling bad about leaving his family behind couldn´t help himself but choose the life of a pirate. Kinemon is from Wano Kuni (modeled after feudal Japan) in which duty and honor stands above eyerything else. There at least shouldn´t be anything that makes Kinemon forsake his duty as a father.

Next Monet. At least partly, i understand the hype around her and the discussion about her being the NN. Honestly, a beautiful harpy is just awesome and unique for the SHs, especially if you compare her to Kinemon. Other than that though, i don´t see anything that makes her SH material. She is, at least till now, way too similar to Robin. Cool and calculating, highly intelligent with a healthy curiosity in science and knowledge in general. That still would be acceptable if a unique quirk were to be introduced later. The biggest difference to Robin though is that for me, she can´t redeem herself. In Robin´s case, you could already tell during the Alabasta Arc that she is a bit different than the other member of BW (the logpost to an island near Alabasta, her saving Luffy out of the sand). Monet on the other hand doesn´t have any of those redeeming actions (maybe the note was from her, ok) but most importantly her tolerating experiments on children ist just a no-go, especially for the SH. Besides, the twist that she actually works for Flamingo is good enough, i don´t need another twist saying she works with Law or wants to befriend the SH.

I´m gonna quote my opinion to Jinbe from another Forum:
    Jinbe clearly stated that he can´t stay on Fishman Island because of his status as a criminal. Him staying on FI would only jeopardise the Royal Family´s plans to emmigrate onto the surface. Of course he could try to hide near FI like Decken in order to protect it but it shouldn´t be forgotten that Decken was "only" a national criminal whereas Jinbe is a world famous pirate for whom the WG definitely would come to search on and around FI. Besides, the Kraken, the 70000 new soldiers and Hoshi´s ability should be enough to protect themselves against most of the opponents.
    Furthermore, in his dialogue with Neptune Jinbei said that he and his crew went under BM´s command in order to protect themselves from the WG but that he also thinks to leave her command now and to join Luffy and co after having denied the invitation to join because of his duty towards his crew mates. Therefore, he should be on his way to the BM´s hideout right now. Since Luffy´s clash with BM seems inevitable at this point, i think the chance is high that Luffy and Jinbe will meet there and fight against BM together. What happens after the fight is of course something unpredictable at this point. Although he made the promise to Luffy that he would join after having dealt with his duty, it could still very well happen that he will stay with his crew. I, personally think that he will be hesitant to leave his crew behind but will ultimately be persuaded by Alladin and co. to free himself of the shackles of the past and just have fun with his newfound friends.

Lastly, a nomination for NN without any basis: I really like Bonney for the SH crew. Her personality + her powers definitely are unique enough, she also has at least a particular attitude towards the SH(especially Zoro) and she seems to have a connection to either Ace or WB. Her crew having been destroyed by BB also helps of course.
    I love Bonney, and I agree with everything you said about her.

Kinemon doesn't have a chance. Plus we have two swordsmen already, I don't give a damn about his style. You and I are on the same page about him.

Monet, I'm waiting and hoping, also remember Crocodile didn't have benign actions either and Robin tolerated them, so we'll see. Quirks are needed, lots of quirks, the glasses are a start.

Jinbe, sigh, to be honest he is a cool character, but really we absolutely, positively, do not need another straight-man character. I would mention that for theme he is in the same boat with Kinemon but people don't like when I say that. I know Jinbe has some quirks but there not enough, at least, not enough for me. Also we have an honor character already his name is Zoro.
    Last edited by Superbear 22; August 30th, 2012 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superbear 22 View Post
    Jinbe, sigh, to be honest he is a cool character, but really we absolutely, positively, do not need another straight-man character. I would mention that for theme he is in the same boat with Kinemon but people don't like when I say that. I know Jinbe has some quirks but there not enough, at least, not enough for me. Also we have an honor character already his name is Zoro.
    We absolutely, positively, do not need another comedic character. See what I did there?

Seriously, it's not like any one character is always comedic or always straight-laced. Just an arc ago we saw Brook take a moment to deliver an honorable, yes, honorable, speech. Of course Luffy's not always comedic, nor is Usopp, nor Chopper or even Franky. And likewise, Zoro is far from someone to be taken seriously all the time. Terrible internal compass, tendency to sleep during big events, Tarzan yells, choosing a pose to be frozen in, etc. And Robin's penchant for predictions of doom are every bit as meant for a laugh as anything else the crew does, despite and especially because of how seriously she says such things.

I don't know what you're looking for in Jinbe exactly; he's already shown he can make a great plan and yet overlook something pretty important, and likewise can place importance on the wrong things like a name for said plan. That's more of a quirk than Robin or Zoro had before they joined, that's for sure.

Like the Avatar? / Like the Miis?
    3DS FC: 4468-0979-5223 / Wii U ID: JSHerstein

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

I still want Bon Kurei to join. Why it hasn't happened yet is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    We absolutely, positively, do not need another comedic character. See what I did there?

Seriously, it's not like any one character is always comedic or always straight-laced. Just an arc ago we saw Brook take a moment to deliver an honorable, yes, honorable, speech. Of course Luffy's not always comedic, nor is Usopp, nor Chopper or even Franky. And likewise, Zoro is far from someone to be taken seriously all the time. Terrible internal compass, tendency to sleep during big events, Tarzan yells, choosing a pose to be frozen in, etc. And Robin's penchant for predictions of doom are every bit as meant for a laugh as anything else the crew does, despite and especially because of how seriously she says such things.

I don't know what you're looking for in Jinbe exactly; he's already shown he can make a great plan and yet overlook something pretty important, and likewise can place importance on the wrong things like a name for said plan. That's more of a quirk than Robin or Zoro had before they joined, that's for sure.
    I understand, but I just can't see him on the crew. We can go at this for hours but my position really isn't going to change no matter how much positive evidence is bought up in his favor.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrystalShip View Post
    I still want Bon Kurei to join. Why it hasn't happened yet is beyond me.
    I want him soooo badly, thinking back, the plot wouldn't have progressed without him.

I'd like Kinemon to join the crew but at this stage I don't have solid argument for it other that my personal speculations, that is my own speculation of his DF and how it could fill the missing numbers in SH's DF. We know very little of his non-combat ability other than his DF, so I'm not sure how he could fill a role in the crew, and so far we haven't seen him having a dream.

Monet, very little to make her a candidate. Jinbe is already accepted as crew member, although whether he will be actually joining in the voyage is subject of Oda's will since it could be used for some twist. I don't think any one else could even be considered as a candidate.

So I think this thread will be full of speculations for a while if kept open, until more is revealed.

Nothing wrong with speculations. Just that some people like to shine a very negative light on it for personal reasons.

As for Bon Kurei joining, he would be an interesting addition to the group. We already saw him having fun with the crew when he's displaying his powers. He can also be the crew's special ops along with Robin. I'm sure information gathering is a much needed skill in the New World rather than just bashing through the front door to a swarm of powerful opponents but Luffy being the captain of the crew means it will happen sooner or later anyway. But he is already the new queen of Newkama Land so I doubt he can just leave.

I see him as an ambassador to the Strawhats and will bring the Okamas in the final war against WG, just like Vivi, Dalton, Iceberg, Ganfall etc. I also see Kinemon fitting this role as ambassador of Wano Country and rallies all the samurais to the Strawhats aid so I'm not really sure of his joining too.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLaw View Post
    As for Bon Kurei joining, he would be an interesting addition to the group. We already saw him having fun with the crew when he's displaying his powers. He can also be the crew's special ops along with Robin. I'm sure information gathering is a much needed skill in the New World rather than just bashing through the front door to a swarm of powerful opponents but Luffy being the captain of the crew means it will happen sooner or later anyway. But he is already the new queen of Newkama Land so I doubt he can just leave.
    If that were true, we would have seen his face.

If that were true, we would have seen his face.
    How is it not Bon Kurei then?

Quote Originally Posted by TheLaw View Post
    How is it not Bon Kurei then?
    It might be Bon Kurei, but there is definitely more to be said or done if Oda is purposefully obscuring his face. Which makes me very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    I was under the illusion all the SHs would be comedic in some way, until Jinbe came along. Then again, he does seem to looove naming plans :p If there's more like that . . .

Not a big fan of Kinemon and he has his son. Monet is starting to interest me, so I'm all for her...

I will survive this hell! Kishido's Avatar

Kinemon is by far the best character introduced and even if I would love to see him join (more than any other candidate or even Jinbe) I don't think he will... But for sure not cuz of stupid cons as... We have already 2 swordsmen and such shit.

For Monet... I cann see her joining Law more.

Jinbe is a given but we are far away till the next time we will meet.

The Tetsuo Ishimaru of AP Gizmo's Avatar

Huh. I was just thinking with the three musketeers line that this thread should be reopened. And I'm guessing the thread's staying open until Jinbe joins (I don't think a new thread is needed, but this is past 20,000 posts which is double the norm here).

As a character I like him and I want to know more about that fruit ability, but I don't think he needs to be a crew member. He's too much like the other Straw Hats. His personality and his fighting style needs to have more nuance and uniqueness so he doesn't feel so redundant if he's going to join.

The only reason I want him to be considered is because I want to see the idea of Kinemon leaving his son written in the story. It hits too close to home for so many Straw Hats that I'd really want to see how Oda handles that.

On a different note, I can't wait for Monet to become more than Miss All Sunday 2.0. Joining Law would just be the final nail in the coffin for me. I hope she's loyal to Joker and we learn more about her soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregory House
    Right and wrong do exist. Just because you don't know what the right answer is — maybe there's even no way you could know what the right answer is — doesn't make your answer right or even okay. It's much simpler than that. It's just plain wrong.

smoke anime every day bluntzilla's Avatar

Kinemon to me stands the strongest chance of joining since Jinbe. We know little about him but he has quirks already, an interesting power (and a fun theory to support him through it).

That said, he has a chance. We'll find out by the end of the arc. I don't want him to join because he's cool though, he just has a lot of positive qualities and no major negative qualities against him so far.

At the very worst, he's going to become a major ally for the upcoming arc.

Anyway he's...
    -A strong enough fighter
    -Has some cool personality quirks
    -Fruit falls in line with the numbered power theory. (Probably the biggest thing for him).
    -So far, he's doing the same thing I believe every Male strawhat has done prior to joining: Fight in the big fight of the arc together with the SHs.

Ifs:
    -Has an existing obligation.

We also know that being a swordsman is no longer a disqualification from joining.

Quote Originally Posted by Superbear 22 View Post
    I want him soooo badly, thinking back, the plot wouldn't have progressed without him.
    3 times, mind you.
    Your signature has exceeded the maximum size limit of 100 kb for this forum. Please read the rules.

I will survive this hell! Kishido's Avatar

I would like to see the DF number theory for Kinemon

Quote Originally Posted by KiShiDo View Post
    I would like to see the DF number theory for Kinemon
    Luffy = GoMu = 5-6
    Chopper = HiTo = 1-10
    Robin = Hana = 8-7
    Brook = Yomi = 4-3

If Kinemon has the Fuku Fuku no Mi (Fuku means "clothing"), then he would complete the pattern, as Fuku can be translated as 2-9. This theory was originally applied to Kuma, who has the Nikyu fruit.

Although I think Kinemon is badass, I don´t really see him joining. I´m with those who say he´ll be the "Vivi of the NW", more or less. But if he really travels with the crew for some time (with his kid), I bet it´ll be really hilarious :D

Concerning Monet, there are theories and fans who see her joining Law´s crew actually (he has her heart, she let Chopper go unharmed etc.), but I think there´s more to her - she´s the connection to a bigger arc/mystery.

I wouldn´t mind any of the two joining, though. Jinbe is a given anyway and now I´m really hyped to see which NW character will join!

Dark side of the One Piece AfroSamurai's Avatar

Ummm... Can we have a new poll? The old one is... So old.
    I am the Walrus!

The three musketeers and the young d'Artagnan fits the Zoro, Brook, Kinemon and Mononosuke group so nicely that I consider them part of the tripulation already. At least untill they reach Wano they will go along with the strawhats.

Also, I think Hatchan was meant to join and complete a swordman trio for the band but then Oda decided to change him for Jimbe so it will be no surprise that another swordman fills this part of the rol becouse jinbe isn't one.

Quote Originally Posted by bluntzilla View Post
    -Fruit falls in line with the numbered power theory. (Probably the biggest thing for him).
    Would you mind explain this theory please?

Edit:

Luffy = GoMu = 5-6
    Chopper = HiTo = 1-10
    Robin = Hana = 8-7
    Brook = Yomi = 4-3

If Kinemon has the Fuku Fuku no Mi (Fuku means "clothing"), then he would complete the pattern, as Fuku can be translated as 2-9. This theory was originally applied to Kuma, who has the Nikyu fruit.
    Thanks.

Closed Thread

Thread Information