View Poll Results: Round 2: Team Edward or Team Jacob?

Voters
900. You may not vote on this poll
  • Perona-- OUT

98 10.89%
  • Hancock-- OUT

121 13.44%
  • Jinbe

155 17.22%
  • None of the above

526 58.44%
Closed Thread
Page 602 of 1042 FirstFirst ... 102 502 552 592 600 601 602 603 604 612 652 702 ... LastLast
Results 12,021 to 12,040 of 20833

Thread: Last Two Nakamates (vol. 5)

Default Re: Last Two Nakamates (vol. 5)

I don't think it was said they got exiled, just that they Jinbe took them and left I think.

The two most likely outcome of Shirahoshi are:

1. Hancock ver.2: Another princess candidate for the future Pirate King's harem
    2. Vivi ver.2: Another honorary Straw Hat, who may not join them in their voyages, but regarded a nakama forever.

Or both.

Discovered Stowaway Coruscation's Avatar

There's Caimie's statement on that to go by from chapter 609:

"...the former members of the Fishman Pirates weren't able to stay on this island any longer. / They all left, together with Boss Jimbei."

I'd assume that these are the members that were being referred to when chapter 546 called him, in no uncertain terms, "Captain of the Fishman Pirates". However, Caimie does say that they're "former" members, which gives the impression that he no longer holds that title. So did he step down when he lost his Shichibukai title, perhaps, upon returning to Fishman Island and realizing that they had to leave it, and his former crew went with him out of respect? But Jimbei does seem to be alone now. So either his former crew are in the Sea Forest with him, or they've gone separate ways now? Either way, it does seem as if Jimbei is not officially the captain any more.

edit: looks like I was a bit slow, though feel free to comment on my analysis of the situation anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Coruscation View Post
    "...the former members of the Fishman Pirates weren't able to stay on this island any longer. / They all left, together with Boss Jimbei."
    We'd need to look at the translation closer, but I initially took this panel as her just lumping them all into a group. IE: All the former members had to leave, including Jinbei. It doesn't have to mean they left together, just that they all had to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Coruscation View Post
    I'd assume that these are the members that were being referred to when chapter 546 called him, in no uncertain terms, "Captain of the Fishman Pirates".
    Just repeating myself, but I've always gone with what has been said about the Sunny Pirates / Fishman Pirates from the three instances their split has been referenced. Yosaku's mention of the Warlord conditions, Nami's flashback mentioning "the rumors are true" about the crew splitting up, and Nyon's statement about how the Sunny Pirates are split up. Add Camie's "former Fishman Pirates" and all the stuff Robby mentioned about them never being around or mentioned and we have loads of evidence the crew is and has been disbanded, while the only arguments to the contrary are an intro box and chapter title.

Discovered Stowaway Coruscation's Avatar

IE: All the former members had to leave, including Jinbei. It doesn't have to mean they left together, just that they all had to leave.
    Ah, you're probably right about that. It makes more sense now that I look at it with that in mind.

Anyway, I'd agree with you on the other thing as well, but that chapter title does make me a bit uncertain still. Now, I do realize that "Former captain of the Fishman Pirates, Shichibukai Jimbei" doesn't have the same ring to it, and maybe the Marine fodder just called him captain because that's what he's commonly known as, but... it still makes me wonder if there couldn't have been a group loyal to Jimbei of which he remained captain after becoming a Shichibukai, while the rest went with Arlong. I mean, I doubt that Arlong actually had all of the former Sunny pirates with him in East Blue, and the way Caimie spoke it gives the impression that they were staying at Fishman Island even after Jimbei became a Shichibukai, but had to leave when Jimbei lost his title because FI can't "officially" harbor them, like Alabasta. Otherwise I dunno what the "had" to leave could've been about.

Yeah, I agree, we'll just have to wait and see. [Forgot to add this in...] While him being referred to as captain is strange if the crew no longer exists or isn't active, that in and of itself might be why he isn't referred to as the 'ex-captain' or 'former captain', as he never stepped down and nobody ever replaced him. In addition to this, I know there have been a few instances where people were referred to by their previous titles despite that affiliation no longer really existing. I know I've named a few in the past, but I forget who off the top of my head. I know Kizaru called Drake "Rear Admiral Drake" twice, and only in the second time did he correct himself by following up with an "oops, FORMER..."
    Last edited by brennen.exe; February 18th, 2011 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Edit: -------------------------

Well they are calling him boss Jinbe not captain Jinbe so it does not mean he is the Captain still and remember he stopped being the Captain so that he could become a warlord.

Someone else probly became the Captain sure he might have rejoined the crew just not as the Captain.

Quote Originally Posted by looking_at_you View Post
    Well they are calling him boss Jinbe not captain Jinbe so it does not mean he is the Captain still and remember he stopped being the Captain so that he could become a warlord.

Someone else probly became the Captain sure he might have rejoined the crew just not as the Captain.
    Well, his title is "Yakuza/knight of the Sea", so the "Boss" thing may be a reference to him leading some kind of fishman mafia-like organization.
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

Jinbe's theme is yakuza. There's no question about it.

Not only is his "Kaikyou" from Ninkyo, a Yakuza honor theme, the "boss" title he is called by is actually "Oyabun", a honorary parenthood title for yakuza.
    Those who share sake with the yakuza boss refers him as "father" or "pops", making him a "oyabun", a honorary parent.

Basically a Japanese yakuza version of a mafia's "Godfather".

I damn explained the yakuza reference when Jinbe's chapter title came out years ago, yet some translators simply fail to get the note.
    It's OBVIOUSLY a yakuza reference, and not a "knight" reference.

A real rain will come... Rank: Failed Mutineer JERK DISEASE's Avatar

He does have a sort of Vito Corleone vibe.
    1. Ace (), 2. WB (), 3. BB (X), 4. Perona () 5. Boa () 6. Jimbei (???), 7. Sabo lives (), 8. Timeskip ()

By current 'logic-related reasoning', I don't see anyone in particular who stands out as a person who could join. If anyone is joining, it's more likely to be Jinbei than anyone else, I think. He actually does have a bond with the crew, or at least Luffy. Out of the fishman introduced in this arc, there would be some backstory needed to add anyone in. I don't see Caribou joining, I don't see Shirahoshi joining, I don't see Dekken joining. Hodi doesn't have enough development for me to say yet.

If anyone joins, I think it would be a returning character. Jinbei, being the most likely. That said, bringing into question characters who haven't been around in ages, I would say Gin or Vivi could join, if they were to reappear. Bon Clay, would be possible, were he to reappear. Everyone else seems like an ally or just characters that will never be seen again, and two of those are mindless speculation.

Jinbei or Bon Clay are the only ones I see having a chance, and Jinbei's the only one who's actually been around.

If anyone's joining this arc, it's probably Jinbei.

It seems to be that the Pirates of the Sun are indeed split up. Maybe some of the higher ups are still with Jinbe but as of now, it seems Jinbe is on his own, the rest either retired, or went on to form the several other fractions such as Arlongs crew, Macro's small gang and such.
    Quote Originally Posted by firecrouch View Post
    Well do you really think Trojan Condoms needs 12 year-olds that are up really late to see their commercials?
    Quote Originally Posted by Buuhan1 View Post
    Yes, in fact I do. These brats today don't wait anymore.

Proud Translator of MHA Gliblord's Avatar

After reading through this thread I'm kinda psyched now for Jinbe as the next crew member. Great reasons all around. I wonder what might become his motive for entering the crew under Luffy, though. Maybe Luffy will super-inspire him after the events of FI Arc are over.

Quote Originally Posted by Gliblord View Post
    After reading through this thread I'm kinda psyched now for Jinbe as the next crew member. Great reasons all around. I wonder what might become his motive for entering the crew under Luffy, though. Maybe Luffy will super-inspire him after the events of FI Arc are over.
    I think New World experience could be a good reason. Especially if the SHs can't find a New World version of a Compass or Log Pose.

Quote Originally Posted by Gliblord View Post

More likely it will be along the lines of honoring Ace, but also Whitebeards decision to put his faith in Luffy. If Jinbei joined it would not be him serving under Luffy - in fact not many on his crew serve him - it is represented them respecting him enough to do what he says without question when he is serious. All other times they're just a bunch of friends on an adventure - Usopp, Sanji and Nami will smack and push Luffy around - Zoro treats him like a child.
    So Jinbei could easily fit in there - also if he was to join in the humour I would imagine his humour and jokes would be more adult/mature in nature nothing out of place but the sort of dual layer jokes that are funny as a kid and REALLY funny as an adult.

I think it was made clear Jinbe is very much a captain in a sense that he doesn't really like to listen to what other people say but would rather make his own decisions based from his own perceptions. We saw this with how he refused to help Luffy just because Ace asked him to, and how he refused to listen to Whitebeard during the war.

Even if he doesn't have his own crew any more, he is still captain in the way he behaves around others.

Well spoken. 16 Characters.

I honestly don't get why everyone is so disgusted and riled up against Shirahoshi.
    I'm not a fan of crying women with huge breasts either, but that doesn't have to be all there is to her.

And why is everyone so convinced of her being weak? There is really nothing to prove that yet. Cowardice is not the same as weakness, as we all should know. It's impossible to avoid Decken's surprise attacks indefinitely. Even Whitebeard got stabbed by surprise.

I mean, if she proves to be as useless as Vivi, Conis, Caimie,... , then of course there is no way for her to join. Usopp and Nami started from scratch too, but times are much tougher now.

But I think it could go either way at this point.
    Whether she is just a stupid damsel in distress or will fight to the death herself all torn-up, using some awesome unseen skills, we'll just have to wait and see.

Anyway I think it would be good to have a powerful mermaid in the story to represent her kind and crush that pathetic racist image of weak prey and slaves. Preferably someone involved in the final destruction of Mariejois.

I'm sure Oda would have no problem deepening her character and fitting her into the crew, if he wanted to.
    For example the Sunny is much much bigger than everyone thinks. And mermaids don't have to be disabled on land. Caimie just had to hide her fin on Sabaody. Shira could move like the Gorgon Sisters or use any kind of device/pet to carry her, like a weapon with Zoan DF. The possibilities are endless.
    Oda can easily make it work.

Again we'll just have to be patient and see.
    Last edited by olorin; February 19th, 2011 at 09:11 AM.

^We've yet to see any Mermaids capable of fighting. I doubt that the first one will be the coward, crybaby Princess who was locked up in the tower for a decade. If she was being trained to fight, like her brothers, I'd expect her to be a little bit more tougher. But she's isn't.

Do you really think she has any kind of interesting fighting style? Or is she just going to slap her opponents with her fin?
    I think it's pretty obvious that she's weak considering Jinbei separated her from her brothers when he talked about their progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawhat Chan View Post
    We've yet to see any Mermaids capable of fighting.
    That's my point. Why shouldn't there be a powerful mermaid? And who could be a better representative than the princess?

Or is she just going to slap her opponents with her fin?
    Why not? That's one way to go. Like Sanji only using his legs. She could jump higher than Brook and use her fin like Jinbe uses his fists.
    There are so many other possibilities I can't even imagine. Like a trident with mythical Dragon Zoan, or using "Water Magic" and calling for fish like Jinbe.

In the end it's up to Oda.
    It's just a possibility.

I think it's pretty obvious that she's weak considering Jinbei separated her from her brothers when he talked about their progress
    Yes, he didn't name her as a formidable warrior, she didn't avoid the flying axe, and she didn't leave the island with Jinbe. But none of that is really conclusive.

Closed Thread

Thread Information